PDA

View Full Version : hey boat cop

MR.rvrluvr
07-13-2007, 01:19 PM
how old do my kids need to be to drive the boat.....with me in it?
what about by themselves?
how old would they need to be to drive the boat if every adult was over .08 on the breathalyzer....
thanx..

RiverDave
07-13-2007, 01:22 PM
AZ = 12 years old (pretty sure unsupervised is ok at that age legally?)
CA = 16 years old (both patrol lake, so go by the Cali rule)
If everyone is over .08, then it's going to have to be minimum unsupervised age..
Just what I've heard over the years, don't quote me on it.
RD

shippingguy
07-13-2007, 01:25 PM
JMO, but if you have kids with you, maybe somebody should be the designated driver.[/QUOTE]
I would have to agree with this statement:idea:

HM
I believe it's 12 in AZ and 16 in CA and I doubt it makes one bit of difference if every adult is over .08.
JMO, but if you have kids with you, maybe somebody should be the designated driver.
I vote for RD. :D

Xlration Marine
Chit I would let my 8 year old daughter drive before I would let my wife behind the wheel. My wife sucks at driving, I would hate to be on the same Ocean with her. 8 it is.

Jbb
AZ = 12 years old (pretty sure unsupervised is ok at that age legally?)
CA = 16 years old (both patrol lake, so go by the Cali rule)
If everyone is over .08, then it's going to have to be minimum unsupervised age..
Just what I've heard over the years, don't quote me on it.
RD
RD the designated driver.....lol...:D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181rd_21.jpg

RiverDave
Depends on how good the kid is I suppose?
I know a couple of kids under 16 that drive better then some of the members on here.. LOL
RD

HM
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
RD the designated driver.....lol...:D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181rd_21.jpg
Is it me...or is picture just begging for some animation from TBI?

RiverDave
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Damn Straight Brian..
I still don't see anything wrong with having a beer or two and driving a boat?
People can argue it all they want, but it is what it is.
RD

Jbb
07-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Damn Straight Brian..
RD
LMAO!!!!!...:D :D :D
Let the games begin....:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-13-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm glad you asked that question. Jeff and I were just wondering that the other day, having one who is nearly 15.

Jyruiz
07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I start training my kids as soon as they can hold their own bottles.:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34922&stc=1&d=1184362231

Racey
07-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Damn Straight Brian..
RD
I'm with RD. Skill of the driver wins over BAC in my book everytime. There are thousands of sober idiots out there that cause far far more harm and danger than a skilled driver who's had some beers and may even be over the legal limit.
"People can argue all they want, but it is what it is."
-RD :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-13-2007, 01:40 PM
our son will be 14 and he drives the boat already..:jawdrop: :D

25Elmn8r
07-13-2007, 04:23 PM
My daughter is 12 and she drives the boat pretty regularly.

Boatcop
07-13-2007, 06:16 PM
AZ Law says 12 years old by themselves. Under 12 OK with an adult on board.
CA Law says 16 by themselves. 12-15 OK with an adult. Can't be behind the wheel under 12.
Although I don't think anyone would be hassled if their 8 year old was on Daddy's lap steering.

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 06:30 PM
CA Law says 16 by themselves. 12-15 OK with an adult. Can't be behind the wheel under 12.
Although I don't think anyone would be hassled if their 8 year old was on Daddy's lap steering.
Does this include if the "Adult" happens to be over the legal limit as asked above?
I've always wondered this myself.:confused:

ratso
07-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Does this include if the "Adult" happens to be over the legal limit as asked above?
I think he is checking...:D

Boatcop
07-13-2007, 06:42 PM
I've kind of wondered the same thing. It's my feelings that the adult could still be charged with OUI. Here's why......
The reason for having the adult on board with an underage operator is to instruct the child and to take control in an unusual situation or in case of emergency. So essentially, he IS in "Actual Physical Control" of the vessel, which is one of the elements for OUI.
I've never been faced with such a situation, nor have I heard of anyone else who has. But it would make for an interesting case.
Please. Let's not have anyone here try and become the first test case. :rolleyes: :D

Boatcop
07-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Just had another thought.
I have heard of successful prosecutions for DUI while the driver was a minor with only a learner's permit and the adult was drunk.
Same thing, I'd think.

ratso
07-13-2007, 06:46 PM
I've kind of wondered the same thing. It's my feelings that the adult could still be charged with OUI. Here's why......
The reason for having the adult on board with an underage operator is to instruct the child and to take control in an unusual situation or in case of emergency. So essentially, he IS in "Actual Physical Control" of the vessel, which is one of the elements for OUI.
I've never been faced with such a situation, nor have I heard of anyone else who has. But it would make for an interesting case.
Please. Let's not have anyone here try and become the first test case. :rolleyes: :D
Maybe not so much an underage operator, but if the operator were say16,17, 18 years old... http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

spectras only
07-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Regardless of age , everybody should read their insurance policy , regarding endorsements . My son has a boating licence , yet he's not only not allowed to drive the boat alone , but also not allowed to drive the boat with me on it, because he is under 18 .Why , because the boat is capable of going over 60 mph ! He'll be 18 in October , then he can drive it all alone .He has been driving my boats and others before , but this new policy is different from previous ones. Accidents can happen , so beware !

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Maybe not so much an underage operator, but if the operator were say16,17, 18 years old... http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
That seems to be how it would read. If its legal for a 16 yr old to be solo then a drunken sailor parent passed out on the back seat should not be illegal, the teenager then is the DD.
Be pretty dumb of a parent to do this intentionally but in an emergency it might fly.

Boatcop
07-13-2007, 06:54 PM
If the operator is over the legal age to operate a boat by themselves, then it wouldn't make any difference the intoxicated state of the passengers.
We have a winner!

ratso
07-13-2007, 06:55 PM
We have a winner!
:D

pw_Tony
07-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Honestly every since I've been 12 years old I've been driving for my drunk dad in Martinez. Everytime I was on the boat he drove up, got drunk, and I drove home and got the boat on the trailer.
Some 12 year olds are skilled.:D
And I was pulled over a few times by CA boat cops when my father was drunk, and never gotten in trouble for it, they said he was too "Impaired to drive", and he told them he was "aPauled"(cause his name is Paul;) ).
So I would assume it's ok for an underage driver to drive even if the others are intoxicated, but maybe they were just being nice

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 07:00 PM
We have a winner!He typed faster than me...:D:D

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 07:02 PM
I took typing in high school. :D
Jr High for me......all I remeber is the home keys= ASDF JKL;
:rolleyes: :D:D

Boatcop
07-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Honestly every since I've been 12 years old I've been driving for my drunk dad in Martinez. Everytime I was on the boat he drove up, got drunk, and I drove home and got the boat on the trailer.
Some 12 year olds are skilled.:D
And I was pulled over a few times by CA boat cops when my father was drunk, and never gotten in trouble for it, they said he was too "Impaired to drive", and he told them he was "aPauled"(cause his name is Paul;) ).
So I would assume it's ok for an underage driver to drive even if the others are intoxicated, but maybe they were just being nice
The age limit in CA was 14, and went into effect in 1990 or '91. Before that there was no limit. It was changed to 16 only about 2 years ago.

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 07:06 PM
You'd think somebody with 10,000 posts would know where all the keys are by now. ;)You're a half step ahead of me still...I use around 5 fingers and get by fine.
If I totalled all my posts from various forums I'd be in the 20k range:rolleyes: LOL

spectras only
07-13-2007, 07:07 PM
This happened in 1985 . Dad went for a nap and put underaged son in charge of the boat , and he survived !
"The Queen of Cowichan runs over a pleasure boat near Horseshoe Bay terminal in West Vancouver, killing three people. "

ddevore
07-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Is the age limit the same for Jet Skis? I swear I was almost taken out by several last week that looked like 13 year olds were driving on parker strip...

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 07:15 PM
If you started using all your fingers, you could double your output. :D :D
Retraining would take to much time.....I'd loose pace and never be able to recover. :)
Sometimes the slowness is due to proofreading before hitting submit reply

Boatcop
07-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Is the age limit the same for Jet Skis? I swear I was almost taken out by several last week that looked like 13 year olds were driving on parker strip...
Jet Ski is a brand name (Kawasaki) same as Sea-Doo or Wave Runner. If you're talking about personal watercraft, then yes, they are classified as a boat. Same as a 40' Fountain, as far as operator age is concerned.
Since we can only enforce Arizona Law, all we can do is tell the kids age 13-15 (and their parents) about California age limits, and they Could get cited by California authorities if they're stopped by them

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 07:18 PM
A boat is a boat...well sorta.
I'd be following the Calif. laws since those waters are patrolled by both states, depends on which LEO has the lights on behind you... Opt for the higher limit to be safe(r).

Boatcop
07-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Retraining would take to much time.....I'd loose pace and never be able to recover. :)
Sometimes the slowness is due to proofreading before hitting submit reply
Umm......
You need to try a little harder.

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 07:33 PM
did someone find my keyes ????? :jawdrop:
Yup, I got 'em.... :D

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Umm......
You need to try a little harder.
Entirely intentional.........:D :D

ddevore
07-13-2007, 08:19 PM
I could just classify them all as lake lice, but I do have many older friends that do turn their heads before their personal watercraft. I thought AZ sheriff enforced the same laws / tickets on the strip - I don't remember seeing a CA sheriff on the strip - you guys do a great job and were greatful for all you do. I'm sorry if I sound like a jerk, but I hate it when those damn things almost take me or my family out - seems to happen about 25 times every weekend (especially memorial weekend).
Jet Ski is a brand name (Kawasaki) same as Sea-Doo or Wave Runner. If you're talking about personal watercraft, then yes, they are classified as a boat. Same as a 40' Fountain, as far as operator age is concerned.
Since we can only enforce Arizona Law, all we can do is tell the kids age 13-15 (and their parents) about California age limits, and they Could get cited by California authorities if they're stopped by them

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 10:30 PM
http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/9361/rduiwi1.gif (http://imageshack.us)
:D :D :D
Daves been ragging on Brian about it being old...now Bri's got something for the next 8 yrs..
BI even made the Coors look like piss :D :D :D

lalhc
07-14-2007, 08:24 AM
I guess I better instruct my wife to tell my 13 year old son to hug the Arizona side of the waterways :D

Debbolas
07-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Just wondering..................did you work for Monty Python in a previous life?

BajaMike
07-14-2007, 09:38 AM
I guess I better instruct my wife to tell my 13 year old son to hug the Arizona side of the waterways :D
California law can be enforced on either side of the river.....:idea:

Racey
07-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Bilgie you are the man! that is some funny funny shit!!! :D

yopengo
07-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Too funny. :D :D :D

MR.rvrluvr
07-14-2007, 06:20 PM
JMO, but if you have kids with you, maybe somebody should be the designated driver.
i don't go crazy with the kids around and never would.....but my son has driven the boat for 3 years now and can drive circles around most people at the age of 10.....figured it would be better for him to drive since I might be over the limit......right.....I didn't know what the age was, heard it was 12 and wanted to make sure before I made the BIG mistake......I have a DD that is 30 years old I have been takeing with me for a couple of trips and the guy scares the hell out of me....my kid is a much better driver.....
I would have to agree with this statement:idea:[/QUOTE]
read above statement.....
That seems to be how it would read. If its legal for a 16 yr old to be solo then a drunken sailor parent passed out on the back seat should not be illegal, the teenager then is the DD.
Be pretty dumb of a parent to do this intentionally but in an emergency it might fly.
thanx I was just wondering as I am sure alot of people have.........I don't want to make a BIG mistake and figured you would be the best one to ask
thanx again...

Nord
07-14-2007, 06:33 PM
LMAO!!:D

Baja Big Dog
07-14-2007, 07:03 PM
I start training my kids as soon as they can hold their own bottles.:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34922&stc=1&d=1184362231
With or without the nipple?

RiverDave
07-16-2007, 10:24 AM
My nose burns from the coke that just came out of it.. :D :D
What fun is life if you can't laugh at yourself a bit? I was telling Brian just the other day that, the picture was old... Ain't old no more, I gotta hunch that animation will probably be here until I finally give up ***boat. :D
RD

pixilatedpussy
07-16-2007, 10:34 AM
how old do my kids need to be to drive the boat.....with me in it?
what about by themselves?
how old would they need to be to drive the boat if every adult was over .08 on the breathalyzer....
thanx..
We let our oldest drive....so I think 12 is correct. But I still dont drink with him driving...( not that I can right now anyway) but I mean ....he is young & doesnt have the common sense that comes with age yet. He is a very good driver...but still...he is a kid.;)

Powerquestboy
07-16-2007, 11:43 AM
I was driving a 50 foot houseboat at the age of 12. We were taught to drive jet skis and Dingys even earlier than that. It was always great to see the look on peoples faces at the dock when a 12 year old would pull a 50 foot houseboat up to the gas dock. We were schooled very hard and got a lot of wheel time. Even had to take boating safety classes and it definitly has made me a much better boater today.

HavaSkank
07-16-2007, 11:54 AM
The only reason I agreed to procreate was to have someone turn the TV when the batteries died on the remote and drive the boat when mama got wasted.

Jbb
07-16-2007, 12:02 PM
until I finally give up ***boat. :D
RD
......right....:p