PDA

View Full Version : No Bud for Jr.

essexjet
07-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Budweiser not following Jr. to Hendrick motorsports...
Budweiser out as Earnhardt's sponsor
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) - When Dale Earnhardt Jr. leaves his late father's team to drive for Hendrick Motorsports next season, longtime corporate sponsor Budweiser won't be going with him.
The Hendrick team announced on Friday that Budweiser would not continue as the sponsor of Earnhardt's car next season because of Hendrick's "long-term contractual commitments to existing sponsors."
Earnhardt announced in June that he would leave Dale Earnhardt Inc. to join the Hendrick team next season, but Hendrick has not yet made it clear what number car Earnhardt will drive or who his sponsor will be.
Kyle Busch, who is leaving the Hendrick team at the end of the season to make room for Earnhardt, currently drives a No. 5 car with sponsorship from Kellogg's and several other companies.
"We have agreements in place with sponsors for the 2008 NASCAR Sprint Cup season, which prevent us from having a relationship with Budweiser," team owner Rick Hendrick said in a statement. "Honoring our commitments is important to us. The trade-off is missing an opportunity to bring Budweiser, a marquee brand synonymous with NASCAR and its fans, into the fold."
The team has not announced a timetable for its sponsorship announcements.
Budweiser will continue as a sponsor in NASCAR.
"Budweiser has sponsored Dale Jr. for nearly a decade, and we wish him the very best," said Tony Ponturo, vice president of global media and sports marketing for Anheuser-Busch Inc. "Budweiser will remain an active sponsor of NASCAR, and we look forward to building upon the legacy of the iconic Budweiser red car in 2008 and beyond."
Earnhardt called it a "privilege" to drive the Budweiser car.
"Although Budweiser and I will be unable to continue our partnership beyond this season, I remain committed to driving for Bud the rest of this year," Earnhardt said. "I'm a race car driver. All I can do is drive as hard as I can for my fans and sponsorship partners and give my best effort each weekend."

Reaper1
07-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Jr. also said that Budweiser will still be his beer of choice. :D

burtandnancy2
07-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Maybe Kyle will be joining DEI and driving the Bud car...

Ivan Dan
07-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Can you imagine the money DE Jr. and Hendrick Motorsports would lose out on if Jr. didn't change car#'s and sponsors? We are talking HUGE HUGE HUGE money that will be spent by all the current #8 Bud Jr. fans to get all Jr's newest gear and accessories.

DUNDUN
07-13-2007, 04:19 PM
i heard bud might be going to evernham on kasey kahnes car.. interesting..

77charger
07-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Jr who? :D

al03sc
New sponsor. New number. New collectibles. Lots of $$$.
So will it be Mountain Dew? Sony? Adidas?
There are stories Kasey wants to leave Evernham. So if Bud comes on board will he stay?

HighRoller
This sponsor roulette is cracking me up and I'm sure the teams are wanting to shoot themselves. Hendrick has no room for Bud, which is roundly acknowledged as THE best sponsor in all of sports. Kasey Kahne can't run for Bud because Dodge is not willing to give up the coveted primary sponsor spot on the hood. In addition, Evernham was supposedly worried that an affiliation with Bud would tarnish Kasey's wholesome, cherubic image. Probably. I doubt he could grow any facial scruff that would compare to Jr or Smoke...
I say they put Bud on the hood of Jr's car right next to Kellog's. Beer and Cornflakes? They could name that thing the Hangover Special or the drunk rooster or something catchy...