PDA

View Full Version : race/av gas in bullhead area

Big Inch
07-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Can anyone tell me where to buy either race fuel or av gas out in Bullhead? We are pretty much right across the river from the Avi, within walking distance from the titty bar ;) ;) Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to at least get some to mix in with some super. Also is launching from the Avi preferable in this area or is their someplace better close by? Somewhere that won't hassle me for being too loud.

pw_Tony
07-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Terrible Herbst on the 95 North of you, just mast the street RAMAR.
Easiast to find location

Big Kahunaa
07-13-2007, 11:18 PM
there is a airport on el rodeo

svlperry
07-13-2007, 11:28 PM
u have to be a hotel guest to launch from avi

CompStompinSCS
07-14-2007, 02:28 AM
Terrible Herbst on the 95 North of you, just mast the street RAMAR.
Easiast to find location
105 VP
there is a airport on el rodeo
has 100LL
If you go west on Ramar you will see a small service station on your right, they have 110

Big Inch
07-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Anyone know any spots farther down the river? We drove up to Terrible Herbst last weekend and gassed up there but that was a long long way from where we were at. Hoping to find someplace to get good fuel south of us this weekend if at all possible. Thinking about possibly launching closer to or in Needles. Avi ramp sucks for cats with that current plus we want to head out early in the AM so worried about the water level. We are staying almost directly across the river from the Avi.

plaster dave
07-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Anyone know any spots farther down the river? We drove up to Terrible Herbst last weekend and gassed up there but that was a long long way from where we were at. Hoping to find someplace to get good fuel south of us this weekend if at all possible. Thinking about possibly launching closer to or in Needles. Avi ramp sucks for cats with that current plus we want to head out early in the AM so worried about the water level. We are staying almost directly across the river from the Avi.
Why dot you bring it with you from that Alliance in Simi Valley on the corner of L.A. and First St.? That is what I do.:D

Squirtin Thunder
07-19-2007, 11:13 PM
If you go west on Ramar you will see a small service station on your right, they have 110
$6.39 for the 110

Big Inch
07-19-2007, 11:33 PM
$6.39 for the 110
That's like a 20 mins or more away from us in the wrong direction, was hoping for somewhere closer or at least on the way down to needles.

Big Inch
07-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Why dot you bring it with you from that Alliance in Simi Valley on the corner of L.A. and First St.? That is what I do.:D
Don't have a real good answer for this I guess I hadn't thought of transporting it. Other then that I usually will try to run av gas instead of race fuel out there only because the boat seems to run rich with race gas out in the dry heat causing me to spend the weekend messing with jets where av gas is oxygenated or something and usually will run with the same tune. If nothing is closer though I will have to make a trip to go see that Alliance guy before I leave.

PaPaG
07-19-2007, 11:42 PM
That's like a 20 mins or more away from us in the wrong direction, was hoping for somewhere closer or at least on the way down to needles.
I go all the way into Havasu 110, 5.50 across from terribles. You can also get av gas at the airport via 5 mile road. Only 10 miles roundtrip from needles.

plaster dave
07-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Don't have a real good answer for this I guess I hadn't thought of transporting it. Other then that I usually will try to run av gas instead of race fuel out there only because the boat seems to run rich with race gas out in the dry heat causing me to spend the weekend messing with jets where av gas is oxygenated or something and usually will run with the same tune. If nothing is closer though I will have to make a trip to go see that Alliance guy before I leave.
Mario was going to start carrying it at so cal so you could get it there too.:D

Big Inch
07-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Mario was going to start carrying it at so cal so you could get it there too.:D
I bet he will give you a good deal on the 15 gallons he sucked out of my tanks a couple weeks ago. It's already seasoned.

Mardonzi
07-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Circle K on the North end of Havasu was 3.95 a gallon for 100 LL this past weekend. Cheaper than the airport's self serve price of 4.19,,,

Fastlane
07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
AV gas sucks!

bear down
07-23-2007, 11:18 PM
AV gas sucks!
I have heard the same thing..but people who use AV gas swear by it..I hear its too dry of a fuel compared with race fuel. I use race gas in my buggy but would be nice to save the money and purchase AV gas. Can you give me some insight?

Daytona100
07-24-2007, 12:39 AM
:d

Big Inch
07-24-2007, 07:42 AM
I have heard the same thing..but people who use AV gas swear by it..I hear its too dry of a fuel compared with race fuel. I use race gas in my buggy but would be nice to save the money and purchase AV gas. Can you give me some insight?
Race gas is better but I prefer running av gas when it's 120 degrees and dry out because my boat runs too rich at idle and fouls plugs in those conditions with race gas. I don't remember the technical mumbo-jumbo on the av gas but it has additives to compensate for lower oxygen levels at altitude for when people actually want to use it up high in the air. In layman's terms, it is oxygenated, and will help this overly rich condition when the air is not dense. This basically lets me not have to completely reset my carb in the desert.
As to the fuel being dry you can add a little bit of two-stroke oil to your fuel to compensate.
As far as switching to save money. I wouldn't if the motor is running well on the race fuel. Race fuel is better imo I just use it to correct my tune and if your buggy is tuned well with the race fuel then I'd stick with that. Maybe that Fastlane guy will chime in.

Fastlane
07-24-2007, 01:57 PM
This might help. Found in Motor Trend.
Motor Trend: 100 octane aviation "AV" gas is usually cheaper that 100 octane race gas. What is the difference between race gas and AV gas?
Rockett Brand: Aviation gasoline with an octane quality of 100 is often cheaper than 100 unleaded, thus it may look attractive to performance enthusiasts. First and foremost, 100 octane Aviation fuel contains tetraethyl lead (TEL); since 1996 it has been illegal to use leaded gasoline in a licensed street vehicle and you can be fined us to $25,000 for using it. Plus, leaded gasoline will damage the oxygen sensor(s) and catalytic converter(s) found in modern vehicles.
Aviation fuel is designed for low speed aircraft engines that run at 2700 to 2800 RPM at 10,000 feet altitude. Aviation fuel often contains hydrocarbons that are detrimental to the performance of a high-horsepower street car.
There are two grades of 100 octane aviation gasoline. One is identified as 100LL and is blue in color. The other is 100/130 and is green in color. The second number (130) shown for the green fuel is a measurement using a supercharged octane test engine. Although this 130 octane number is higher, it is achieved from an entirely different test and rating system than octane numbers determined with normally aspirated engines.

Big Inch
07-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Dammit
No wonder my catalytic converters keep going out :devil:

Fastlane
07-24-2007, 08:49 PM
How are those Piston return springs and tail light fluid I sold you working?:confused:

plaster dave
07-25-2007, 01:09 PM
It shouldn't even be a question.:confused: Race gas is made for race boats and races cars. Av gas is made for planes.:D With that said it is cheaper to run Av gas but I run 10 gallons of 110 octane Trick with Av or pump gas. Just my .02 :D