PDA

View Full Version : Looking at new trucks

hava life
07-14-2007, 07:53 AM
I will be getting a new truck soon and I am thinking about getting a diesel this time. Right now I have a Chevy 2500 and get an average of 11 mpg. I heard the diesel is getting between 18 and some say almost 30. I do tow with the truck so that is why I am going to get diesel next time.
What are the pros and cons with Chevy, Dodge, Ford.
I have heard a lot of negative about transmissions on some and motors on others.
How about service? An oil change on a diesel is quit a bit more than gas do you change every 3500m?
Any info would help. Usually keep my truck for quit awhile and want to make sure if I go to diesel than I will be able to keep it for long term and get a reliable truck:D
Here's what I have had last 20 yrs.
88 Chevy Blazer K5 385000 miles then stolen:mad: replaced motor at 20800 and tranny every 2 years
01 F150 18000miles no problems
03 Chevy 2500 hitting 11000 miles cluster keeps going wacko, transfer case and front hub replaced.
Any info would be appreciated.

curtis73
07-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Without invoking brand wars, here is my take after having owned two chevys and a ford, as well as working for a company that had a fleet of dodges and a fleet of Fords.
The chevys I had were hand-me-downs from my dad who is a die-hard chevy guy. One was a 98 6.5TD, the other an 05 Dmax/Allison. I love the Dmax. The allison hasn't proven to be too reliable in its as-delivered tune. In typical fashion, GM took a bulletproof tranny and softened it up so the old folks wouldn't complain about rough shifts and somewhat neutered its reliability. The aftermarket has solutions that make it absolutely rock solid, so I would suggest those mods if you tow alot. if you're just towing 5000 lbs, don't sweat it, but if you're going to be doing a lot over 10k or power mods, I'd consider upgrading.
The fleet of dodges we had were 24v cummins, mostly 01-02 models. They were bulletproof. Some of them had nearly 400k on them, with long idling spells and PTO use. We sorta sold them more because bean counters decided that there was a tax advantage or the rate of depreciation and potential for repairs was risky. So, a whole new fleet of 6.0 powerchokes was ordered. I have one word for you; don't. No real word on the new 6.4s, but I'd be wary.
The new bigger cummins is pretty much hated in the circles I travel. Unproven reliability (not so much in the engine itself, but all the crazy emissions stuff) has stifled the love. Who knows, it might be nothing, but the guys I know are currently scouring the country looking for the last of the smaller cummins before they're gone. As of this summer, they're scarce.
I personally want the reliability of the upgraded allison, the styling and ride of the chevy, the interior comfort and overall quality of the ford, and the cummins from the dodge. Is that too much to ask?
If you're buying a daily driver that tows a little, I'd suggest the Dmax/Allison, but the little foibles of the chevy truck bug the heck out of me. For instance, my Dmax truck, no matter what you do, when you turn the key on it starts playing disc 1 on the radio. It could be off, set to FM, or playing disc 3, but it always goes to disc 1 when you turn it on. The interior lights sometimes won't shut off, the trailer wiring is awful and completely unreliable despite trying multiple connectors. Frustrating to say the least. The A/C on every GM I have is totally inadequate if you're stopped. Die-hard chevy owners like my dad who wouldn't dirty his butt in a Ford has never had the experience of a truck without all those little issues so he thinks its normal. If you're buying a purpose-built tow vehicle and don't mind the lower-rated ride, comfort, and ergonomics, I'd go Dodge. If you're most concerned about creature comforts and truck reliability and aren't too concerned about the reliability of the engine, go Ford.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

pw_Tony
07-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I know some Duramax's had injector troubles and were blowing up motors.
But the Allison worked out ok, my buddy's 2003 went out at 230,000 so that's pretty damn good in my book.
I heard the same thing about the Cummins, the Smaller ones kick ass and take names, and produce the most torque and will last FOREVER. But the new motors seem to be turning away more people.
And for a Ford.... just don't, even though I'm a Ford guy I'm not impressed with the Powersmokes

hava life
07-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Curtis73 thanks for your info:)
I just drove the Dodge mega cab 2500 today and I was very impressed with the ride and it seemed to have a lot of power. They let me take it and show my wife at her shop but when she got in she noticed a lot that she didn't like. One thing the air didn't blow as strong and as cold as it should have been. The grab handle is not over the door, she definitely did not like the position that her arm was in on the door side. I noticed that the mpg was only getting 11, but the truck has 49miles on it.
When we went back to the dealer he said as far as the air that it is a big cab so there's a lot to cool, my wife has a Tahoe and the air freezes you.
The mpg is because its new and will need about 7000 miles to get broken in for better mpg??
I know the seating she will have to get used to but I will have to hear about it every time.
Is it true that the mpg will improve that much?

hava life
07-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Now I did it. Just came from the Ford dealer and the wife fell in love with the Lincoln Navigator. Anyone have any word on this vehicle. Our anniversary is coming up and this would be nice to do.

NuckinFutz
07-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Anyone who is saying they are getting 30 mpg is feeding you full of sh*t. It don't matter what diesel you get, you're in a big heavy truck. I'll buy it on a 2wd Isuzu mini pickup, but that aint' gonna pull the boat. I've have a Dodge and two Fords currently. I average about 17 empty with the Dodge and 14 and 17 for the two Fords. They all are running 35" tires and lifts and I know that hurts, but I have about $2000 in goodies on one Ford and the mileage still isn't great, about 11 pulling my 25' boat. Am I against diesels-hell no, but I'm realistic and know the mileage isn't in the 20's. I change my oil every 5000 miles and fuel filter every 10,000.

YeLLowBoaT
07-14-2007, 05:29 PM
just a note they just changed formula of diesel... no one knows for sure what the effects it will have older( or hell even the new ones)trucks. At this point its all up in the air.

hava life
07-14-2007, 06:10 PM
YeLLowBoaT just a note they just changed formula of diesel... no one knows for sure what the effects it will have older( or hell even the new ones)trucks. At this point its all up in the air.
So is this going to be another bad thing?
I was told that the diesel was getting the same mpg pulling as it would empty. I have not had a diesel yet and have been able to tow what I needed to it may be 7mpg and slower but I wonder what the new diesel formula will do????
Luckily I won't be buying today but in the next couple of months maybe I will stick with gas:confused:

cc322
07-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Lots of good reading here
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/

JakeC.
07-15-2007, 09:22 AM
i work at a chevy dealer as a d-max tech. as of 07 the new body style d-max runs on the new low sulfur fuel. the epa has madated this fuel for much lower emissions. the sulfur in the fuel has been cut more than 95 percent i do believe. this means that you should not see the black smoke out of the tail pipe anymore. there is a lot of new technolagy that is not proven yet with the new diesel particulate system that is run with the new fuel. on the 07 d-max with the particulate system you must run low sulfur fuel or it will cost you a lot of money that warranty wont cover. also if you are one of the people who do there own oil change like a lot of us. the new truck uses a new special synthetic diesel oil that works with the system. that to will cost you a lot of money to fix the problems that will accure if you use the wrong stuff. as far as the injectors go, 01-05 d-max's did have some problems with the injectors have bad balance rates. but i have never ever once heard of them blowing up an engine. the only way i think it could happen is if the injector housing was cracked and leaking fuel into the crank case, but that wouldnt hurt the engine considering diesel fuel is a low grade oil anyways. the 06 i have yet to do any injectors on any of the trucks that i have worked on. as for ford and dodge and how they are comming along with the particulate filter system, i have not heard anything yet. so i can not tell you anything on the dodge or ford as a tech standpoint. if you have any other questoins as far as the d-max's let me know and i will see if i can answer them.
Jake

JakeC.
07-15-2007, 09:22 AM
i work at a chevy dealer as a d-max tech. as of 07 the new body style d-max runs on the new low sulfur fuel. the epa has madated this fuel for much lower emissions. the sulfur in the fuel has been cut more than 95 percent i do believe. this means that you should not see the black smoke out of the tail pipe anymore. there is a lot of new technolagy that is not proven yet with the new diesel particulate system that is run with the new fuel. on the 07 d-max with the particulate system you must run low sulfur fuel or it will cost you a lot of money that warranty wont cover. also if you are one of the people who do there own oil change like a lot of us. the new truck uses a new special synthetic diesel oil that works with the system. that to will cost you a lot of money to fix the problems that will accure if you use the wrong stuff. as far as the injectors go, 01-05 d-max's did have some problems with the injectors have bad balance rates. but i have never ever once heard of them blowing up an engine. the only way i think it could happen is if the injector housing was cracked and leaking fuel into the crank case, but that wouldnt hurt the engine considering diesel fuel is a low grade oil anyways. the 06 i have yet to do any injectors on any of the trucks that i have worked on. as for ford and dodge and how they are comming along with the particulate filter system, i have not heard anything yet. so i can not tell you anything on the dodge or ford as a tech standpoint. if you have any other questoins as far as the d-max's let me know and i will see if i can answer them.
Jake

sintax
07-15-2007, 10:08 AM
yea, 30mpg is pretty long winded for any 3/4 ton diesel. I have an 07 Classic duramax and I can pull off 18 or 19mpg unloaded, but i have a VERY heavy right foot. I let my dad borrow the truck when he towed his bike up to Montana and he said he averaged 22-23 on the highway, when he could keep his foot out of it.
I was in the same game as you, i looked at every 3/4 ton diesel truck to find the one that fit me best. You really cant beat the ride of the Chevy or the interior comfort. I tend to like the classics a bit better then the new body style though.

Outnumbered
07-15-2007, 10:45 AM
My 2007 5.9 Mega 4x4 is getting 17 mpg combined. Gets 19 on the freeway. Just did a Powell trip towing up to 7,200 elevation and it averaged 13 mpg towing about 6,000 to 7,000 lbs. The new 6.7 is getting shitty mileage from what I hear. I have had good luck with Dodge. This will be my third.

MudPumper
07-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Jake
Jake, which dealer do you work for, I live in Palmdale. I have an 06 LBZ and it's always good to have a connection. :D

MudPumper
07-15-2007, 02:47 PM
I get about 17-18 in my 06 LBZ towing. I usually tow about 70 and have a heavy foot. I'm sure I can milk a few more out if it if I slowed down some. It's a hell of a lot better than the 12 mpg I was getting out of my 6.0 and the added power and ease of towing is great. Got about 12k on mine now and no problems what so ever. I love mine.

Outnumbered
07-15-2007, 03:00 PM
My 2007 5.9 Mega 4x4 is getting 17 mpg combined. Gets 19 on the freeway. Just did a Powell trip towing up to 7,200 elevation and it averaged 13 mpg towing about 6,000 to 7,000 lbs. The new 6.7 is getting shitty mileage from what I hear. I have had good luck with Dodge. This will be my third.
BTW, my truck only has 1,500 miles on it. Supposed to get better as it breaks in. Also, the grades towing to Powell to and from Phoenix are brutal. It is not like towing to the river. I will post up my mileage after we do our next river run.

hava life
07-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the info so far guys.
Jake, Have you seen a lot of problems with the trucks other then what you have said. I have had so many problems with my Chevy I am not to sure about looking at another one. Some of my problems are as follows, Dash cluster has been working off and on sometimes the tach, speedo , voltage , water, oil gauge will work or jump all at different times. Today all my gauges worked properly first time in over a year. Tailgate clips to open have broken twice and the handle broke once. Driving lights have both had to be replaced. Transfer case went out with 78000 miles on truck. Seats don't adjust properly i think the electrons are going out. Front hub went out at 80000 miles and the truck is not lifted.
I don't abuse my truck and can't believe the issues that I have been having, maybe I just got the one that has some issues:confused: I have had great luck with a Chevy but I am not to sure about buying another one.

JakeC.
07-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Jake, which dealer do you work for, I live in Palmdale. I have an 06 LBZ and it's always good to have a connection. :D
i work at rally here in palmdale. we problobly know a lot of the same boat peaople but have not met or do not remember each other. and connections are always good.

JakeC.
07-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the info so far guys.
Jake, Have you seen a lot of problems with the trucks other then what you have said. I have had so many problems with my Chevy I am not to sure about looking at another one. Some of my problems are as follows, Dash cluster has been working off and on sometimes the tach, speedo , voltage , water, oil gauge will work or jump all at different times. Today all my gauges worked properly first time in over a year. Tailgate clips to open have broken twice and the handle broke once. Driving lights have both had to be replaced. Transfer case went out with 78000 miles on truck. Seats don't adjust properly i think the electrons are going out. Front hub went out at 80000 miles and the truck is not lifted.
I don't abuse my truck and can't believe the issues that I have been having, maybe I just got the one that has some issues:confused: I have had great luck with a Chevy but I am not to sure about buying another one.
I havnt seen to many other problems with the trucks other than what i said earlyer. it sounds like you just didnt get lucky and bought the one lemon in the bunch. If you are looking at a chevy d-max. i personally would get the 07 classic body style. that one doesnt have the particulate filter system in it so you will problably have less problems with the new system. plus i still think they look better than the new body style. well good luck in whatever thruck you deside to get. and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Infamous
07-15-2007, 07:40 PM
How much towing do you plan on doing? Hell, you only tow the boat 4 miles to windsor. If I went back to towing like I did before I bought my place I would only have diesel. I averaged about 17-18 on the freeway. Don't be to worried about the dodge saying 11 mpg.... how much of that has been sitting at idle, stop and go @ delivery etc.

hava life
07-16-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't tow every day but I do quit abit not just the boat. It sounds like I may have to see how the diesels do on the new type of fuel. An oil change is going to get pretty pricey it sounds like.

Infamous
07-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Im not sure if you would do it but, my brother gets his duramax changed at walmart for under $50 using Rotelo or any diesel grade oil.

hava life
07-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Infamous Im not sure if you would do it but, my brother gets his duramax changed at walmart for under $50 using Rotelo or any diesel grade oil.
I wonder if that would be ok with the warrenty? What about the special synthetic oil:confused:

JakeC.
07-18-2007, 08:54 PM
I wonder if that would be ok with the warrenty? What about the special synthetic oil:confused:
that is only on the new diesels with the particulate exaust stystems on it. if you were to take it to walmart or jiffy lube or whatever oil changing place you take it to, it shouldnt be a problem. as long as they put the right stuff in it. if they dont, it doesnt matter if the warranty covers it because the place that messed it up will problably be picking up the tab for you. i personally would go and test drive all of the trucks you are interested in and see what ones fit you and what you are going to be useing it for the best. as far as the new fuel, i do know that the new duramax that runs on the new fuel makes even more housepower and torque that the years pryer. thats like taking a race engine that runs on 120 octane and making more housepower and torque running it on 87 octane, without pinging. good luck.
Jake

Outnumbered
07-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Im not sure if you would do it but, my brother gets his duramax changed at walmart for under $50 using Rotelo or any diesel grade oil.
Wow, that amazes me. People drop $50k on a truck and take it to Wally World for service.:rolleyes: My dad used to take his Honda Civic there. They used an air wrench on his drain plug and cross threaded it. Plug would not seal and dripped all over the driveway. Climbed under it and realized that they fu(ked it up good. He had to get a new oil pan at the Honda dealer:eek:

jkh04200
07-20-2007, 04:34 AM
Hava life,
How much wt. an how often do you pull?????

Trailer Park Casanova
07-20-2007, 04:58 AM
The D max had the fewest mods to bring it into current smog compliance. Seems to be doing fine.
Allisons last well into the 200K mile range.
Often it's a small item like a solinoid that pukes and the indi tran shops will sell the customer a complete unit rather than simply replace the cheap and easy solinoid.
So IMHO Allisons will last even longer if ya get an honest diagnosis.
Goofy running A/C on GMs, wonder if that's been corrected. They know about it so,,, ???

riverbound
07-20-2007, 05:07 AM
I don't tow every day but I do quit abit not just the boat. It sounds like I may have to see how the diesels do on the new type of fuel. An oil change is going to get pretty pricey it sounds like.
When I bought my dodge From Mrs. Boatnam. The dealer threw in free oild changes for life :D On the newer trucks the intervals are alot longer, then every 3k miles. I think mine are somewhere in the 7k range. the service on our FL is quite costly but with as little use as it gets we tend to only hav to bite that bullet once a year. Just had it serviced and it was approx. $600 (thats a deal).

jkh04200
07-20-2007, 05:59 AM
What kind of weight are you towing? Distance? These are critical when it comes to choosing a vehicle. Also, how many miles do you drive a year?

hava life
07-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I travel about 50,000 a year but I will pull around 20000 miles with a load that is between 8000lbs and 5000lbs depending on what I have. I don't know if the diesel is worth it for me:confused:

YeLLowBoaT
07-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Your right at that point where you tow enough, but you drive alot of miles, so it might not be worth it. Sounds to me like you go thru a truck in 3-4 years. Might not be cost effective to buy a diesel, simple do to the added cost.

hava life
07-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Trailer Park Casanova
Goofy running A/C on GMs, wonder if that's been corrected. They know about it so,,, ???
07-20-2007 05:34 AM
The A/C in the Dodge Mega cab never did get cool:idea: The salesman said it was because it was a big cab:rolleyes: not a good answer when the wife's Tahoe freezes us:)

hava life
07-27-2007, 08:53 PM
YeLLowBoaT Your right at that point where you tow enough, but you drive alot of miles, so it might not be worth it. Sounds to me like you go thru a truck in 3-4 years. Might not be cost effective to buy a diesel, simple do to the added cost.
This is what I am starting to think. It may not be worth the x-tra to go to diesel and just stick to what I have had and change out the truck about every 5 years:idea:

hava life
07-27-2007, 08:55 PM
riverboundJust had it serviced and it was approx. $600 (thats a deal).
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Run_em_Hard
07-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Owning a diesel is worth it, even if you only tow once a month. You get better mileage and longer life out of the engines. There is more power stock and more available with mild add-ons. I guess if you live where there are no real mountains to pull it might be different. But here in the Rockies empty gas trucks and suv's have to downshift to take the hills.
It is a great feeling to be able to hit the biggest hills in 6th gear, cruise on, towing the boat and not shift or worry at all.
So it is definitley worth it to some people.

Outnumbered
07-28-2007, 04:56 PM
The A/C in the Dodge Mega cab never did get cool:idea: The salesman said it was because it was a big cab:rolleyes: not a good answer when the wife's Tahoe freezes us:)
I did a little research on this. Apparently some of the new trucks are underfilled with freon from the factory. We have not had this problem. Even with 115* and 60% humidity. But I think it i an easy fix. There really is no comparison the the room in the Mega Cab. It is huge inside. Plus, I have to say the last several Dodges I have had have been the most reliable trucks I have ever owned.

PaPaG
08-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I will be getting a new truck soon and I am thinking about getting a diesel this time. Right now I have a Chevy 2500 and get an average of 11 mpg. I heard the diesel is getting between 18 and some say almost 30. I do tow with the truck so that is why I am going to get diesel next time.
What are the pros and cons with Chevy, Dodge, Ford.
I have heard a lot of negative about transmissions on some and motors on others.
How about service? An oil change on a diesel is quit a bit more than gas do you change every 3500m?
Any info would help. Usually keep my truck for quit awhile and want to make sure if I go to diesel than I will be able to keep it for long term and get a reliable truck:D
Here's what I have had last 20 yrs.
88 Chevy Blazer K5 385000 miles then stolen:mad: replaced motor at 20800 and tranny every 2 years
01 F150 18000miles no problems
03 Chevy 2500 hitting 11000 miles cluster keeps going wacko, transfer case and front hub replaced.
Any info would be appreciated.
Forget the Diesel and get a new Dodge, life time powertrain warranty, front to rear....as long as you own your car...I just got one and there is no gimmick. Just have to take it in every 5 years to verify and keep up with logging the service even if you do it yourself...I would think a warranty like this would be worth at least 9000-15,000.00 for the lifetime of the truck.
But does not apply to fleet purchases or Diesels...THinking of getting a second one to for the company without titling it a company car.

hava life
08-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I have been down at Pheonex doing some work and I picked up a Dodge Mega cab 3500 with the 6.7 deisel:D :D :D . I bit the big one but I don't think my Chevy would have made the trip back home. I went to the Ford and Chevy dealers and I really like the room of the Mega cab. That cab has more rooom in the back than anything I have ever seen:) :) .

Outnumbered
08-14-2007, 12:02 AM
I have been down at Pheonex doing some work and I picked up a Dodge Mega cab 3500 with the 6.7 deisel:D :D :D . I bit the big one but I don't think my Chevy would have made the trip back home. I went to the Ford and Chevy dealers and I really like the room of the Mega cab. That cab has more rooom in the back than anything I have ever seen:) :) .
Congrats, they are huge inside. I love it.