PDA

View Full Version : Rights and Freedom vs Public Safety

MADDOG355
07-15-2007, 08:58 AM
I thought we should have a new thread on this so here goes.
It was mentioned in the MB thread that ODB II has been abused.
I am shure alot of the general public is not aware that OBD II records all systems in a 30 sec loop until a event, Such as airbag deployment.
G.M. Claimed this was for corporate use to protect them lawsuits, (people claiming faulty airbags or some other system falure caused a accedent). Yet the factory rep I spoke with a few years ago made it clear this info was available to LEO.

Mattman
07-15-2007, 09:08 AM
They are called Collision Data Recorders (CDR's) and are in certain make vehicles. They help us determine certain issues with air bag deployment, acceleration and deceleration of the vehicle and so on. This can be critical in reconstructing a collision especially when you have no statements because your driver is dead.

wsuwrhr
07-15-2007, 09:09 AM
OBDII has already been abused, in my opinion, by convicting several defendants based on OBDII's recovered data leading up the the event in question.
It has been well documented before OBDII came into being that the potential for spying on private property(your car) would be possible. Of course the naysayers maintain that this is a good thing.
Shockwavebob "Nobody cares about their rights until they need them"
BTW...I was well aware of OBDII's capabilities.
Brian
I thought we should have a new thread on this so here goes.
It was mentioned in the MB thread that ODB II has been abused.
I am shure alot of the general public is not aware that OBD II records all systems in a 30 sec loop until a event, Such as airbag deployment.
G.M. Claimed this was for corporate use to protect them lawsuits, (people claiming faulty airbags or some other system falure caused a accedent). Yet the factory rep I spoke with a few years ago made it clear this info was available to LEO.

Desert68
07-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Way before OBD-II, accident reconstruction or even public safety come, as stated in the subject title, rights and freedoms. The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. I live in the Phoenix area and we have photo radar for speeding. If I get caught by a live cop doing 55 in a 40 MPH zone, I get arrested for criminal speeding and my car is impounded. And now you can't even smoke in bars - you can't make that choice for your own, privately owned bar. They crushed cars in Kalifornia because the guys were street racing. What's next? Burn your house down if you do something illegal at your home? The erosion of rights and freedoms isn't even subtle any more. All you need to do is line up behind one of three categories - public health, public safety or national security. Each and every adult in this country should read the three documents I mentioned above at least once every couple years. Here's my new law - every elected official should be required to have the three docs memorized ...

Xlration Marine
07-15-2007, 09:53 AM
I am unfamiliar with the abuses of OBDII, but it sounds like something that I would be against.
Not if it saves your back side. It's kinda like the little black box in an air craft. One of the things it tells is the speed. So if you are dong the speed limmit, and you are the only one in the car. You get hit from behind with three people in that car. They were doing 20 miles over the speed limmit. They say you cut them off. You say how could I, I was doing the speed limmit and they were hauling azz. 3 to 1 you would loose. With the little black box, they would be the liars and get the tickets and your little behind would be saved. Now if you were in the car speeding, then well yes you wouldn't like the little black box.

Xlration Marine
07-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Yo 68, mr desert. Um the spellcheck police will give you a ticket for the "K" in California. :D :D :D

Xlration Marine
07-15-2007, 10:06 AM
I honestly could care less in that scenario. That's why I have insurance. I'd much rather have my rights. Personal liberties are not about what they can do for you, that's for the one way people that post on every other thread, only in it for themselves. I, as a general rule of thumb, don't break the law. I don't "need" my rights very often. But, that doesn't mean I'm ready to give them away because it doesn't suit my purpose.
And, in your scenario, unreliable third party testimony from occupants of the other vehicle are about as good a witness as if my dog could testify. I'll take my chances.
And this is why the word "Neaderthal" will never be pulled out of the dictionary.

MADDOG355
07-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Sorry, Guess I should have stated my feelings clearly.
I am against big brother, the safty police, or any likeness.
I don't like the idea that if I typ the wrong word, Some 3 letter unit will put me on a watch list.
Ammonia nitrate has gotten so hard to get alot of farmers have went to natural or organic fertilizers, From what I have seen these do not produce as good as ammonia. This means smaller crops = less money for farmers which will lead to higher prices at the store.
The boating industry is under the gun for emissions, Yet check this out.
http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070715/NEWS01/707150351/1002
Did I mention I am not a fan of the gov??? :mad: :mad:

MADDOG355
07-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Not if it saves your back side. It's kinda like the little black box in an air craft. One of the things it tells is the speed. So if you are dong the speed limmit, and you are the only one in the car. You get hit from behind with three people in that car. They were doing 20 miles over the speed limmit. They say you cut them off. You say how could I, I was doing the speed limmit and they were hauling azz. 3 to 1 you would loose. With the little black box, they would be the liars and get the tickets and your little behind would be saved. Now if you were in the car speeding, then well yes you wouldn't like the little black box.
In TN if you are hit from behind it is the person that hit you that is at fault. "If you have time to get straight, they have time to stop!"

MADDOG355
07-15-2007, 10:25 AM
ShockwaveBob
What branch of the service were you in?

mike37
07-15-2007, 10:32 AM
if you have the right to smoke in a restaurant that I'm eating in
then I should have the right to piss on you while you eat
it won't hurt you any more the your smoke will hurt me and my family

MADDOG355
07-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Had a sister and brother inlaw in the Corps, Last to know, First to go.
Thank you for your service.

Desert68
07-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Yo 68, mr desert. Um the spellcheck police will give you a ticket for the "K" in California. :D :D :D
That was intentional, as in People's Republic of Kalifornia!

3 daytona`s
07-15-2007, 12:47 PM
And this is why the word "Neaderthal" will never be pulled out of the dictionary.
If you are going to come in here and attempt to act intelligent and shit = spell correctly or do not use big words:idea: :rolleyes:

wsuwrhr
07-15-2007, 05:09 PM
SWB,
I am beginning to think you and I have alot of the same views.
Brian
I honestly could care less in that scenario. That's why I have insurance. I'd much rather have my rights. Personal liberties are not about what they can do for you, that's for the one way people that post on every other thread, only in it for themselves. I, as a general rule of thumb, don't break the law. I don't "need" my rights very often. But, that doesn't mean I'm ready to give them away because it doesn't suit my purpose.
And, in your scenario, unreliable third party testimony from occupants of the other vehicle are about as good a witness as if my dog could testify. I'll take my chances.

wsuwrhr
07-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Here's the difference, smart people don't need the government to help them stay clear of trouble.
Are you reading my mind?
Sheesh....stop doing that!!!
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-15-2007, 05:12 PM
USMC 1983-1991.
Thank you.

Xlration Marine
07-15-2007, 05:26 PM
If you are going to come in here and attempt to act intelligent and shit = spell correctly or do not use big words:idea: :rolleyes:
Do the research Dumb Fock!!
The Neanderthal (IPA: /niː.ˈændə(ɹ)ˌθɔːl/, also with /neɪ-/, and /-tɑːl/), (Homo neanderthalensis) or Neandertal was a species of the Homo genus that inhabited Europe and parts of western Asia. The first proto-Neanderthal traits appeared in Europe as early as 350,000 years ago.[1] By 130,000 years ago, full blown Neanderthal characteristics had appeared. Neanderthals became extinct in Europe approximately 24,000 years ago.[2][3][4]

Xlration Marine
07-15-2007, 05:27 PM
By the way how have you lasted 24,000 years????

Boatcop
07-15-2007, 05:29 PM
The Neanderthal (IPA: /niː.ˈændə(ɹ)ˌθɔːl/, also with /neɪ-/, and /-tɑːl/), (Homo neanderthalensis) or Neandertal was a species of the Homo genus that inhabited Europe and parts of western Asia. The first proto-Neanderthal traits appeared in Europe as early as 350,000 years ago.[1] By 130,000 years ago, full blown Neanderthal characteristics had appeared. Neanderthals became extinct in Europe approximately 24,000 years ago.[2][3][4]
And your point is?

wsuwrhr
07-15-2007, 05:31 PM
And your point is?
I gotta agree with BC...for once.
You might want to check your spelling before you go off with the definition.

3 daytona`s
07-15-2007, 05:35 PM
WITH SPELL CHECK OR WITH OUT IT:rolleyes: P.S. I won`t get into calling the foul names with you O.K.? it appears you have a handle on it just fine. BTW what is your point:confused:

Flyinbowtie
07-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I am concerned about the erosion of personal freedoms in this country, too.
In my experience, as has been stated, reasonably intelligent folks don't need laws to tell them how to function in day-to-day situations. Sadly, we have become a nation increasingly inhabited by people who, in an earlier day, would have been weeded out of the gene pool by natural selection.
Most of us know that we shouldn't use our blow-dryer in the shower, but somebody did, so now we have a government warning.
Most of us know that operating dangerous machinery while intoxicated can lead to death, but a whole bunch of us insist on pushing the envelope.
The vast majority of "new" laws regulating what used to be common sense issues, those that are eroding our personal freedoms are a direct result of power-hungry politicans in government responding to the "lowest common denominator" amongst us, the ones who never got beyond the toddler stage of being able to care for themselves.
And we all suffer for it.

Old Texan
07-15-2007, 07:35 PM
I heard a discussion on the radio the other day that a research group has suggested a 17% tax on fatty foods in order to get the public to cut back. They feel this will help solve the obesity problem in America.
The tax will go towards fat folks with out insurance. :rolleyes:
I suppose we will get inevitable "fart" tax penalization platform going next.....:confused: