PDA

View Full Version : Does my boat need a skeg/fin?

jh4rt
07-16-2007, 03:10 PM
I bought a '78 20' Schiada SS with a 200 HP Merc mounted on the transom. I am working through a renovation, put on a new powerhead, etc.... Anyhow, long story short, once I peeled the rotting flotation out from under the floorboards, I discovered my skeg was leaking. So, after a lot of work / grinding on the hard studs (I guess nobody had stainless in '78?), I finally got it out. I decided that i would try it without the skeg.
I'm looking for opinions. Does a 20' SS Schiada need a skeg? Does anyone have one with an outdrive; does it have a skeg?
I'm going to go try it at Casitas this weekend... just in-case anyone wants to come watch me spin out... hehe.

RiverDave
07-16-2007, 03:14 PM
"need" and benefit from are two different things.. I doubt it needs a skeg, but with the turn fin's you can hook turns that are almost unbelievable.
Stacy's Spectra currently doesn't have a turn fin, the boat rotates but it just kinda slides, and while it does alter the course of the boat, it's not sports car like handling either if ya know what I'm saying. After the skeg install, it'll turn like a boat should turn. ;)
If there's not many chines (if any?) towards the rear of your boat on the keel, then my guess is your going to end up with that same sliding effect.
RD

jh4rt
07-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Yah...
My boat really turns; almost like a v-drive.
But, my concern is, if it isn't installed correctly, it can create a bunch of drag. That is why I'm trying it without, but I really appreciate your input.

superdave013
07-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Yah...
My boat really turns; almost like a v-drive.
But, my concern is, if it isn't installed correctly, it can create a bunch of drag. That is why I'm trying it without, but I really appreciate your input.
If it's installed to far forward or to deep the boat will want to bow steer. Not good at all. I have one on mine but it's a v drive. I'd give Prime Marine a call and talk to Mike King if I was you.

Riverkid
07-16-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm going to put a skeg on mine. It takes the whole river to turn at the dam...

Spotondl
07-16-2007, 06:04 PM
You're questioning the legendary handling characteristics of a Schiada and thinking you can out engineer the guru's? :idea: :idea: :idea:

SANGER-RICH
07-16-2007, 06:26 PM
What happens if you do not use one on a hydro :confused:

Glamasu
07-16-2007, 06:32 PM
You're questioning the legendary handling characteristics of a Schiada and thinking you can out engineer the guru's? :idea: :idea: :idea:
Well said :idea:

jh4rt
07-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Look man... I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I know enough not to pour foam in the center rail, and then glass the floorboards down and staple them to the stringers. I know enough not to expect water not to get down through lag screws into sealed compartments in the bilge. So, while I respect the accomplishments of some of the rigging of Schiada, I also know that I have heard stories of them splitting in half.
I'm hoping some on this site can give me insight beyond the guesswork of whoever slapped my boat together in 1978. :-)
For what it is worth, the skeg that was on there... A glenwood unit was a standard aluminum 6" - cut off to 4"... I bought a brand new one and have it. I'm just trying to decide if it worth testing it without it.
--humbly...
-j

jh4rt
07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
If it came with one, don't you think there is a reason for it being there, you might give Stan a shout at Schiada, he had a 20 o/b.
He He...
Yeah... just like that bicycle you had with a chain guard. AND REFLECTORS !!!
;-P

jh4rt
07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
What happens if you do not use one on a hydro :confused:
Damn if I know. I'd love to ride in a Hydro, though !!!

jh4rt
07-16-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm going to put a skeg on mine. It takes the whole river to turn at the dam...
This is awesome information. I do have to tell you, with the skeg, mine turns around like nobody's business. It turns damn near as hard as a v-drive. In fact, most times, I have to let out of it because I get scared someone is going to fly out.
Is yours a 20?

Riverkid
07-17-2007, 07:48 AM
But with the motor bracket it sits WAY back there. Skeg will definitely help. Talk to a couple guys but for me I would definitely put it back on... I'll have Prime do mine if I ever get the boat out of the garage again...

Spotondl
07-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Look man... I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I know enough not to pour foam in the center rail, and then glass the floorboards down and staple them to the stringers. I know enough not to expect water not to get down through lag screws into sealed compartments in the bilge. So, while I respect the accomplishments of some of the rigging of Schiada, I also know that I have heard stories of them splitting in half.
I'm hoping some on this site can give me insight beyond the guesswork of whoever slapped my boat together in 1978. :-)
For what it is worth, the skeg that was on there... A glenwood unit was a standard aluminum 6" - cut off to 4"... I bought a brand new one and have it. I'm just trying to decide if it worth testing it without it.
--humbly...
-j
Whether you agree with the rigging of your boat or not, you have one of the better handling boats on the water... Keep it that way by putting the turn fin back on unless you like driving a boat that handles like a mini-van on under inflated tires... better yet, sell me your Schiada and buy a jet boat...:D :D :D That is sarcasm and meant to be taken as a joke...
Also, I would give special attention to the floor area where the old fin was. Check for any damage, delamination, splintering, etc... that original Glenwood fin that was cut down to 4 inches was probably damaged in some way and the cut down to 4 inches was the band aid. The impact that probably damaged that fin was transmitted directly to the hull where the fin was attached. Just a humble .02 thought...
Peace...

jh4rt
07-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Whether you agree with the rigging of your boat or not, you have one of the better handling boats on the water... Keep it that way by putting the turn fin back on unless you like driving a boat that handles like a mini-van on under inflated tires... better yet, sell me your Schiada and buy a jet boat...:D :D :D That is sarcasm and meant to be taken as a joke...
Also, I would give special attention to the floor area where the old fin was. Check for any damage, delamination, splintering, etc... that original Glenwood fin that was cut down to 4 inches was probably damaged in some way and the cut down to 4 inches was the band aid. The impact that probably damaged that fin was transmitted directly to the hull where the fin was attached. Just a humble .02 thought...
Peace...
I am with you. I'm glad I posted this. I'm going to put it back on.
As far as the floor area, I have inspected it well. I countersunk the holes top and bottom and filled the whole area with epoxy / micro-filler. Now, since I'm going to put it back in, I'm going to go build a nice little damn on each side and actually make the mount point on the inside flat. I will probably lay a piece of cloth in there when I do it.
I picked the skeg up myself from glenwood and ended up talking to Robert for a couple of hours about the old days, etc. He said he cut a bunch of those down for Schiada when they built these boats. I had him cut this one as well. I'm going to sharpen it and re-polish it before mounting. Then I'm going to build up the bottom to fit the V perfectly, using the really thick epoxy/wax-paper method. Finally I will bed everything in Dolphinite and put it back on.
Now: The next question -- How do I make sure it is straight? I'm going to re-drill the original holes, I think. But, If I wanted to make sure it was straight, to what would I measure it?
Finally, JET BOAT? :eek: :idea: :mad: -- Just kidding... you are right. It's going back on.

Racey
07-17-2007, 09:41 AM
I would say if you want the thing to turn at all it needs it to be there, I've heard stories from my dad about 21'-22' schiadas without fins that just would not turn, slippin and sliding, they are a good idea on a boat that doesnt have alot of V. just replace it right back into the stock location.

jh4rt
07-22-2007, 07:17 PM
So, this weekend, drilled the holes back out, bedded with epoxy top and bottom. I'm waiting for the epoxy to go off to do the final install. Otherwise, the skeg is back in.
Also, had a chance to rebuild the water pump, patch some bad spots on the bottom, and even change the lower unit lube.
Ready for boating this summer... finally.
Now If I can just get someone to buy my truck.!!!

jh4rt
07-23-2007, 06:07 AM
:D no chian guard, ever, no reflectors, ever, and all 3 of our Schiada's have fins, 2 -21's, 1-18':D
Scott
:D :D :D :D :D

jh4rt
07-28-2007, 10:12 PM
I took the boat up to Casitas today and tested it with the new skeg installed. I'm glad you all convinced me to re-install it. This boat turns like it is on rails. We are headed to San Antonio next weekend; through Wednesday or Thursday. If anyone is going to be up there, let me know.
--cheers