PDA

View Full Version : What's Inside: Red Bull

RitcheyRch
07-17-2007, 08:05 AM
A lot of interesting ingredients.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/15-07/st_redbull
Meat Sugar, Caffeine, and Bile!
Glucose
Like most popular soft drinks, Red Bull is largely sugar water. But don't count on its glucose to "give you wings," as the ad says. Multiple studies have debunked the so-called sugar high.
Taurine
Also known as 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid, taurine was originally isolated from bull bile in 1827. Now made synthetically, it is the magical elixir said to bring out the kitesurfing extremophile in any Web-surfing nerd. Taurine's actual effects, while not as drastic as the hype, are pretty wide-ranging, even from the amount found in a single can: Not only is it an inhibitory neurotransmitter (in some cases acting as a mild sedative) and an age-defying antioxidant, it even has the potential to steady irregular heartbeats.
Glucuronolactone
Internet rumors claimed this was a Vietnam-era experimental drug that causes brain tumors. Luckily, that's not true. But don't crumple up your tinfoil hat yet — hardly anyone has looked into exactly what this stuff does. So little research has been done on glucuronolactone (and most of it 50 years ago) that almost all information about it is mere rumor. Users generally believe it fights fatigue and increases well-being, but that could turn out to be bull, too.
Caffeine
Ah, here are Red Bull's wings. All the things this drink is supposed to do for you — increase concentration and reaction speed, improve emotional state, and boost metabolism — are known effects of this white powder, a distant cousin of cocaine.
Niacin (niacinamide)
Also known as vitamin B-3, niacin increases so-called good cholesterol (HDL) by preventing the formation of triglycerides, making it a terrific cholesterol drug. Unfortunately, there isn't enough niacin here to have this benefit. And it's not even pure enough to give you the mild head rush dubbed the "niacin flush."
Sodium citrate
Commonly used as a preservative in soft drinks and spreadable cheeses, sodium citrate also helps convert glucose into lactic acid during exercise, producing a measurable effect on athletic performance. In at least one test, it shaved an average of 17 seconds off a 5K run.
Inositol
A carbohydrate found in animal muscle (sometimes called "meat sugar"), inositol is turning out to be a wonder drug that significantly reduces depression, panic attacks, agoraphobia, and obsessive- compulsive disorder. It might even be what makes whole grains effective cancer fighters. Instead of being a bit player in Red Bull (you'd need to drink as many as 360 cans a day to get its benefits), inositol probably deserves a drink of its own.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Not to mention a heart attack waiting to happen..:)
That stuff to me smells bad..

RitcheyRch
07-17-2007, 08:15 AM
I dont like the taste of it or Monster.

lucky
07-17-2007, 08:17 AM
my redbull has goose in it
A lot of interesting ingredients.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/15-07/st_redbull
Meat Sugar, Caffeine, and Bile!
Glucose
Like most popular soft drinks, Red Bull is largely sugar water. But don't count on its glucose to "give you wings," as the ad says. Multiple studies have debunked the so-called sugar high.
Taurine
Also known as 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid, taurine was originally isolated from bull bile in 1827. Now made synthetically, it is the magical elixir said to bring out the kitesurfing extremophile in any Web-surfing nerd. Taurine's actual effects, while not as drastic as the hype, are pretty wide-ranging, even from the amount found in a single can: Not only is it an inhibitory neurotransmitter (in some cases acting as a mild sedative) and an age-defying antioxidant, it even has the potential to steady irregular heartbeats.
Glucuronolactone
Internet rumors claimed this was a Vietnam-era experimental drug that causes brain tumors. Luckily, that's not true. But don't crumple up your tinfoil hat yet — hardly anyone has looked into exactly what this stuff does. So little research has been done on glucuronolactone (and most of it 50 years ago) that almost all information about it is mere rumor. Users generally believe it fights fatigue and increases well-being, but that could turn out to be bull, too.
Caffeine
Ah, here are Red Bull's wings. All the things this drink is supposed to do for you — increase concentration and reaction speed, improve emotional state, and boost metabolism — are known effects of this white powder, a distant cousin of cocaine.
Niacin (niacinamide)
Also known as vitamin B-3, niacin increases so-called good cholesterol (HDL) by preventing the formation of triglycerides, making it a terrific cholesterol drug. Unfortunately, there isn't enough niacin here to have this benefit. And it's not even pure enough to give you the mild head rush dubbed the "niacin flush."
Sodium citrate
Commonly used as a preservative in soft drinks and spreadable cheeses, sodium citrate also helps convert glucose into lactic acid during exercise, producing a measurable effect on athletic performance. In at least one test, it shaved an average of 17 seconds off a 5K run.
Inositol
A carbohydrate found in animal muscle (sometimes called "meat sugar"), inositol is turning out to be a wonder drug that significantly reduces depression, panic attacks, agoraphobia, and obsessive- compulsive disorder. It might even be what makes whole grains effective cancer fighters. Instead of being a bit player in Red Bull (you'd need to drink as many as 360 cans a day to get its benefits), inositol probably deserves a drink of its own.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-17-2007, 08:19 AM
I dont like the taste of it or Monster.
It is nasty stuff.. I tried it once and it was just a sip.. :)

RitcheyRch
07-17-2007, 08:23 AM
I think is an aquired taste. I didnt like either of them. Some people love them both.
It is nasty stuff.. I tried it once and it was just a sip.. :)

76ANTHONY
07-17-2007, 08:26 AM
hell if i read what was in my drinks or food id die of starvation in a day, i like red bull but dont like many other energy drinks, and its great with capt morgan and coke too:D

Mountainstone
07-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Red Bull doesn't really taste all that good (maybe that's why the can is smaller than most), but it is a pretty effective hangover cure.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-17-2007, 09:07 AM
I think is an aquired taste. I didnt like either of them. Some people love them both.
I know a few people who drink it with Goose.. :jawdrop:
waitress once told us if you drink it you could have a heart attack at anytime.. that to me is scary itself..

OCMerrill
07-17-2007, 09:25 AM
I know a few people who drink it with Goose.. :jawdrop:
waitress once told us if you drink it you could have a heart attack at anytime.. that to me is scary itself..
It's an ambulance ride for me.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-17-2007, 09:34 AM
It's an ambulance ride for me.
I would have to say probably me too..:jawdrop: :D

spectras only
07-17-2007, 09:38 AM
If you're slightly overweight and inactive , don't drink it . Parts guy I deal with almost died of a heart attack drinking this stuff :eek:

lucky
07-17-2007, 09:42 AM
If you're slightly overweight and inactive , don't drink it . Parts guy I deal with almost died of a heart attack drinking this stuff :eek:
well Now three quarters of us americans can't drink the stuff

HocusPocus
07-17-2007, 09:43 AM
when i drove truck i always like to run at night and i would sometimes drink a red bull if i was feeling a little tired or if it was near then end of my 5 weeks out. i know people who buy the various "energy" drinks by the case full and drink them all day long. the high school kids are pounding those down, every time my oldest daughters (17) friends come over they always seem to have one of those drinks.

Big Inch
07-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Red Bull doesn't really taste all that good (maybe that's why the can is smaller than most), but it is a pretty effective hangover cure.
I used to play flag football. It was a 4 man passing league if anyone is familiar with it. Anyways you run like crazy non-stop for an hour. We used to play Saturday mornings I think the games started at 8 or so every week. Being in my early 20's I was always hung over and would drink 2-3 Redbulls before the game. I was in pretty good physical condition and I swear I almost had a heart attack due to these things. I ran a pass in for a touchdown and when I hit the goal line I felt like my heart was going to come out of my chest. I have never felt like that before and can't even begin to describe the sensation but I will never touch a Redbull again.

Cigalert
07-17-2007, 10:18 AM
I drink red bull daily. It's definately an acquired taste.
If there is anything I can recomend you completely stay away from is this stuff
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/6b/300px-Redline_energy_drink.jpg
I call it "liquid padels" because you practically need to yell "Clear" before taking a sip. It's recomended on the bottle to only drink half of the drink and finish the other half 2-4 hours later. It's a thermogenic and it makes you muscles twitch to promote burning fat. It's legal crack. BEWARE!

spectras only
07-17-2007, 10:21 AM
well Now three quarters of us americans can't drink the stuff
Can't blame me not warning you guys :)

502 JET
07-17-2007, 10:32 AM
I drink red bull daily. It's definately an acquired taste.
If there is anything I can recomend you completely stay away from is this stuff
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/6b/300px-Redline_energy_drink.jpg
I call it "liquid padels" because you practically need to yell "Clear" before taking a sip. It's recomended on the bottle to only drink half of the drink and finish the other half 2-4 hours later. It's a thermogenic and it makes you muscles twitch to promote burning fat. It's legal crack. BEWARE!
Thats sounds like some good $hit. I may have to step from Red Bull.

Schiada76
07-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Try Snopes on this.:rolleyes: