PDA

View Full Version : cav. plate adjustment

Fired Up
12-18-2001, 05:21 PM
On my Canyon runner bottom I have three plates which make up the cavitation plate assembly. Should there be tension on the plates (up or down) in a neutral position? Meaning without pushing on the pedals, just sitting on the trailer. My right plate has some play at the turnbuckles, but the other two you can feel tension on them. What is considered a good starting point of adjustment?

pgf127rt
12-18-2001, 06:35 PM
Sam, there should be equal tension on all of the turnbuckles, as for setting the plates, get with Wayne Mettler and have him show you how to do this operation, and he will explain all the what ifs that go with wrong plate settings, HE-DA-MAN

Fired Up
12-18-2001, 07:54 PM
No..you DA MAN JDL. Thanks, I know WM is the guy to talk to, but this site has such good input from so many people that I really like hearing different thoughts on things. Hangfin came through for me last week. He gave me the motor plates to my boat.

Jetboatguru
12-19-2001, 12:19 PM
Fired Up, Wayne is the man to set the plates but not for thew $$ he wants to fly out and set them. You have an equal player in Jim Lange and he is right in your back yard (Simi Valley). He owns HiTech Marine.
(805) 583-2656
Gary T also used to work there.
Tony (aka Hang Fin)

pgf127rt
12-19-2001, 04:29 PM
Firedup, I thought that Wayne was close to you, sorry, but I would consult with the ones that Hang recommended, and get them to show you how to do it properly, as that is a very sensitive area on your boat, once you are shown how it should be no prob after that, I am glad you got the motor plates, Tony is quite a guy, and has an abundance of knowledge on flats, Y'all have a Merry Christmas, and a Safe and Happy New Year

Infomaniac
12-19-2001, 07:39 PM
FU My first runner bottom was set up for the big HP engine that the guy pulled out before selling it to me. It bounced like crazy. Menkins advised me on a start setup.
Set them level or 1/8" up. Put a straight edge against the bottom of the boat extending 1 or 2 feet in front of the plates and extending back past the plates. Measure them at each turnbuckle. Stand back and look at them. Make sure there are no waves.
After they are all set the same. I have made adjustments at the lake by turning them all the same number of flats on the turnbuckle.

Racing Ray
12-19-2001, 07:58 PM
Just curious, back when I owned a flattie. I was taught to set the plate flat across the middle and the outer ends just 1/16" lower. The reasoning was as the boat became airborne and if slightly out of tilt this would push the oppisite side back down. Sure seemed to work. Of course speeds were quite a bit lower back then too.

G.Riggins
12-27-2001, 08:32 PM
Hello Firedup. I own a Maako runner with a blown BBC. I set my plates flush with bottom on the runners and raised 3/16 on the center plate this method of madness seems to work. My self,brother and cousin all have blown gas flats set up the same way. Try if you like. good luck.

Jetboatguru
12-27-2001, 08:54 PM
Gary Riggans the only plates you know about are dinner plates filled with Mashed Potatos you corn fed monster

Fired Up
12-27-2001, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

G.Riggins
12-28-2001, 08:52 PM
Well,well,well. Jetboatguru.You must know me and my boat, more than likely the back of my boat. So wake sucker youre killin me who the heck are you?

Jetboatguru
12-30-2001, 07:32 AM
Come on now Gary. I'll give you a hint:
I drive a flatbottom at the races.

G.Riggins
12-30-2001, 11:16 AM
I wasnt to sure, but the name dont fit the picture you know what I mean? you still have my number? If so give me a call. You should change your Username to ROCKY then Id get it, but the hangin fin was a big clue. Just had a brand new babyboy on the 28th at 4:58 pm. thats two one more to go. Talk to you later jetboy

Jetboatguru
12-30-2001, 07:32 PM
Gary congrats on the new little on. I thought you were smart enough to figure out who I am. Are you going to CFW for the first?

G.Riggins
12-31-2001, 05:23 PM
Jetboatguru. You think I could get away right now, my whole family would kill me.I will be there at heart. are you going?