PDA

View Full Version : Catalina Ski Race on now LIVE!

brad22
07-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Go Peter!!
http://www.catalinaskirace.net/liverace.html

socalmoney
07-21-2007, 08:17 AM
my knees hurt watching this

gqchris
07-21-2007, 08:44 AM
If anyone is having problems, click the link to launch in to external player. Make sure you are using Windows Media Player.
Did you see that guy thread the needle on the Avalon turn? Thats just nuts.

RiverToysJas
07-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Awesome!!!!

Baja Big Dog
07-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Note to producers;
1. Don't care about the live 7 HD, so don't mention it 50 times!
2. It is a ski race, why not mention some of the equipment, or maybe a quick bio on the skiers?
3. An important part of the race is the boats, talk about them, and get the facts straight.
4. Sponsors.....they make it possible, mention the people that support the boats and race.
5. Know the facts..they dont even know the offical race time!!!!
6. When your on live T.V. dont carry on conversations with prople that walk up to the booth on the side...
Go ahead and add to the list....

RiverToysJas
07-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Those guys weren't even sure of the age of the 7 time winner! :rolleyes:

1 Baja Guy
07-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Note to producers;
1. Don't care about the live 7 HD, so don't mention it 50 times!
2. It is a ski race, why not mention some of the equipment, or maybe a quick bio on the skiers?
3. An important part of the race is the boats, talk about them, and get the facts straight.
4. Sponsors.....they make it possible, mention the people that support the boats and race.
5. Know the facts..they don't even know the offical race time!!!!
6. When your on live T.V. dont carry on conversations with prople that walk up to the booth on the side...
Go ahead and add to the list....
Looked like the fat guy on the left had a plate of Mac & Cheese ... Maybe he should of eating before the race.

RiverToysJas
07-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Did the audio/video feed stop? :confused:

RiverToysJas
07-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Nevermind....my connection is pretty fast...but it's not keeping up right now. :sleeping:

Havasu Carrera
07-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Did the audio/video feed stop? :confused:YEP

bordsmnj
07-21-2007, 09:36 AM
oh, quit yur bitchen:D

RiverToysJas
07-21-2007, 09:37 AM
YEP
OK, thanks!

bordsmnj
07-21-2007, 09:37 AM
i'm dead here too. it keeps falling off at "get the checkered flag up"

RiverToysJas
07-21-2007, 09:38 AM
oh, quit yur bitchen:D
Lookie who finally rolled out of bed!!! :idea:

bordsmnj
07-21-2007, 09:38 AM
happy birthday Jas. have you seen the mess in my yard lately??:D

bordsmnj
07-21-2007, 09:39 AM
i suck . i was totally suposed to go watch the race.....:rolleyes:

brad22
07-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Did the audio/video feed stop? :confused:
Yep it stopped for me.
Good Race!
If Peter didn't fall that would have been a interesting finish and definitely a new record! Oh well, next year. :)
Congratulations to Todd and his crew.

RiverToysJas
07-21-2007, 09:40 AM
happy birthday Jas. have you seen the mess in my yard lately??:D
No, but I stopped by a couple weekend ago...the garage was open, the front door was open, the dog was mad I was knocking and yelling.....but no people... :) I figured you guys were just hiding! :D

bordsmnj
07-21-2007, 09:42 AM
No, but I stopped by a couple weekend ago...the garage was open, the front door was open, the dog was mad I was knocking and yelling.....but no people... :) I figured you guys were just hiding! :D
were both trucks there? i was probably in the back yard doing battle with that mess. not a very fun mess back there.

RiverToysJas
07-21-2007, 09:44 AM
were both trucks there? i was probably in the back yard doing battle with that mess. not a very fun mess back there.
The white truck w/ the tool box was there for sure (Linda's ?) and I think a lifted truck with a Stoker sticker was in the drive/yard. :D I figured you may have went to CPW, but that was my next stop. They were more help than they've ever been to me....they sent me to that dealer on GG Blvd for what I needed!!! :D

bordsmnj
07-21-2007, 09:50 AM
lol,yeah help reallly depends on who you talk to over there. i'll be home till 2 if yuh feel like stoping by..

burtandnancy2
07-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Baja Dog, after 59 years, this was the first of its kind. Rick and Sandy have been announcing for many, many years, but I don't think they had a producer or even communication with any of the camera's, they were seeing what you and I saw. If they could read boat numbers, they would know exactly what boat, what skier was on camera. They know the signals, tricks, skiers, observers and drivers very well, I have even seen them make a correct call when all they could read was the splash off the nose of a boat. I'm sure in years to come it will get nothing but better.
And congratulations to Todd, Randy and Dennis for ANOTHER great race. And stock motors at that!

Baja Big Dog
07-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Baja Dog, after 59 years, this was the first of its kind. Rick and Sandy have been announcing for many, many years, but I don't think they had a producer or even communication with any of the camera's, they were seeing what you and I saw. If they could read boat numbers, they would know exactly what boat, what skier was on camera. They know the signals, tricks, skiers, observers and drivers very well, I have even seen them make a correct call when all they could read was the splash off the nose of a boat. I'm sure in years to come it will get nothing but better.
And congratulations to Todd, Randy and Dennis for ANOTHER great race. And stock motors at that!
The criticism was meant to be nothing but constructive, hopefully they will read this and take notes, it just seamed to be a very poorly planned broadcast (On channel 7 HD!!). The first rule is knowing the constants, the equipment, and most important, the Spencer's, we saw what Jay went through getting sponsors, its hard work and they MUST be reconized..
I will be more than happy to volunteer to be the color man next year.
Channel 7 recorded the race, anyone know if they are going to broadcast it in the future?

burtandnancy2
07-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Baja, thanks. You were dead on with #6 however, they didn't seem to know that there conservations were going out live...

RitcheyRch
07-21-2007, 12:11 PM
They said there was a 20 second delay on the net.

Sigus
07-21-2007, 12:24 PM
did Renegade run this year?

Riverkid
07-21-2007, 03:27 PM
He pulled Rudi Stout's daughter Trudi. Didn't see how they did...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35375&stc=1&d=1185060352
She won Junior Girls. They flew... Rudi must be a proud dad. His 3 kids all did super.

brad22
07-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Riverkid,
You have any pictures of Mike Avila and Peter Proctor on the (other) "Warpath" #11??
Thanks,
Brad

Riverkid
07-21-2007, 05:40 PM
That's about the only boat I didn't get. There was a very "nice" lady who stood right in front of me and wouldn't move... 42' Fountain with triples. Pete was doing really well. They came in shortly after Todd, even with a fall...

RiverToysJas
07-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Anyone know who Gery did (aka "catalinaskiracer")???
RTJas :D

98 Vector 21
07-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Any results as of yet?

life's a river
07-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Anyone know who Gery did (aka "catalinaskiracer")???
RTJas :D
He sat this one out.

Goldfinger
07-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Here are the results for the 2007 Catalina Ski Race.
http://www.catalinaskirace.net/results/2007results.pdf
We apologize for any misspellings or class mistakes.

djunkie
07-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Average speed for Haig says 116.112 mph. Thats just phucking insane these guys do this.
Looks like Photoglou did well also. Congrats Jay. :D :D

Riverkid
07-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Here are the results for the 2007 Catalina Ski Race.
http://www.catalinaskirace.net/results/2007results.pdf
We apologize for any misspellings or class mistakes.
You guys did a terrific job.:D

mondorally
07-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Average speed for Haig says 116.112 mph. Thats just phucking insane these guys do this.
Looks like Photoglou did well also. Congrats Jay. :D :D
The average looks to be in Kilos per hour. 1 Kilometer = 0.62137 miles. If you look, the lap distance is 99,776m or 61.998 miles. So the 116.112 kph is 72.15 mph, still haulin ass!
-Justin

brad22
07-22-2007, 03:29 PM
The average looks to be in Kilos per hour. 1 Kilometer = 0.62137 miles. If you look, the lap distance is 99,776m or 61.998 miles. So the 116.112 kph is 72.15 mph, still haulin ass!
-Justin
That makes a lot more sense. Impossible to ski that fast in the ocean!!

djunkie
07-22-2007, 04:04 PM
-Justin
Ya i thought it couldn't be right. Although I know these skiers can and do ski that fast on the smaller races. As said also, 72mph is still hauling freakin azz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the real k-boat king
07-22-2007, 04:19 PM
And congratulations to Todd, Randy and Dennis for ANOTHER great race. And stock motors at that!the engines in randy's boat are pfaff 1000 hp, not stock engines.

burtandnancy2
07-22-2007, 04:58 PM
k boat king, my error, I thot they were the Merc 1075's (stockers). How much HP do you think his were putting out?

Rexone
07-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks Long Beach club for a great race.
What those with critisizm need to realize is that this is a small club organized event that with 60+ entrys vs the 100 of the old days barely breaks even on the event. This is not some national or international corportion with big bucks. 2 years ago there was no TV or jumbotron. Only announcing based on reports from the choppers and turn boat. The jumbotron and TV, internet coverage is a big step forward for a very small organization. Granted it wasn't the perfection you'd expect from a network sports broadcast. It's just way better than years past and moving forward.
As part of Andy Anderson's team, 7th overall finisher, and now part of the under an hour club, I congratulate the Long Beach club and Goldfinger for making these strides and making the race possible for all of us to enjoy participating in.

PHOTOGLOU
07-22-2007, 06:07 PM
What those with critisizm need to realize is that this is a small club organized event that with 60+ entrys vs the 100 of the old days barely breaks even on the event. This is not some national or international corportion with big bucks. 2 years ago there was no TV or jumbotron. Only announcing based on reports from the choppers and turn boat. The jumbotron and TV, internet coverage is a big step forward for a very small organization. Granted it wasn't the perfection you'd expect from a network sports broadcast. It's just way better than years past and moving forward.
As part of Andy Anderson's team, 7th overall finisher, and now part of the under an hour club, I congratulate the Long Beach club and Goldfinger for making these strides and making the race possible for all of us to enjoy participating in.
I secon that.... BUT we finished in 10th.... Still under an hour.... Goldfinger hats off....

Riverkid
07-23-2007, 03:32 AM
How's that 714 boat? That thing is sick!

Riverkid
07-23-2007, 04:49 AM
I secon that.... BUT we finished in 10th.... Still under an hour.... Goldfinger hats off....
Nice run Jay...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35485&stc=1&d=1185194880
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35486&stc=1&d=1185194880
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35487&stc=1&d=1185194880

AZJD
07-23-2007, 05:31 AM
Nice job Jay! Under an hour. CONGRATS!

Rexone
07-23-2007, 06:38 AM
How's that 714 boat? That thing is sick!
Bob's boat is undisputably the nicest boat I've ever observed in and first class all the way. 42 Outer Limits with #6's. It just doesn't get any better. We all had a great time and Andy did real well too.
A few pics...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/714-1.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/714-2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/714-3.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/714-4.jpg

Jen
07-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks Mike, We all work very hard to put the event on, we only hope it will be a great experience for both racers and spectators. Congrats to Andy & his team, what an incredible run!!!!
Jennifer Lemmon

livehavasu
07-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Is there anyplace you can watch the recorded video?

PHOTOGLOU
07-23-2007, 07:40 AM
Nice run Jay...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35485&stc=1&d=1185194880
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35486&stc=1&d=1185194880
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35487&stc=1&d=1185194880
Thank You and Thank you for the pictures too......

PHOTOGLOU
07-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Nice job Jay! Under an hour. CONGRATS!
Thank you

Goldfinger
07-24-2007, 05:00 PM
The criticism was meant to be nothing but constructive, hopefully they will read this and take notes, it just seamed to be a very poorly planned broadcast (On channel 7 HD!!). The first rule is knowing the constants, the equipment, and most important, the Spencer's, we saw what Jay went through getting sponsors, its hard work and they MUST be reconized..
I will be more than happy to volunteer to be the color man next year.
Channel 7 recorded the race, anyone know if they are going to broadcast it in the future?
Thanks for the input baja dog and all....We are continuing to take notes and accepting all feedback good and bad. Please trust that it is our top priority to include all the teams, boats, names and faces and stories that make this sport so incredible. There were reasons for everything but the bottomline is that ski racing is really really expensive and difficult to broadcast live cameras over 30 miles of open ocean. We actually improved in many more ways. The 1st live internet broadcast proved to be an extra added success receiving 7970 hits from around the world. Our quality of footage improved for all of the teams which will be more evident on the DVD. We had 12 cameras out there only four could be live. There will not be any static that was on the live show, so expect a top quality DVD improved again from last years. The Air 7 HD chopper is a blessing to have shooting the race thanks to the pros at Helinet Aviation and KABC. They should definitely take zero of the blame for any production errors. My team at Goldfinger Racing and Phase One will take all the heat ourselves. Would love to hear from you.
Jeff Barrus
Goldfinger Racing
www.GoldfingerRacing.com
PS. Hey, Jay I've seen the good footage of you now. You will like it when I'm done.

Goldfinger
07-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Is there anyplace you can watch the recorded video?
Unavailable right now but we will have an estimated release date soon, so stay tuned.
I'm watching it right now and wow some of these shots give me goose bumps. Watch for clips on www.catalinaskirace.net and www.GoldfingerRacing.com coming soon.
Pre-ordering the 2007 Catalina Ski Race DVD is available right now at a special pre-order only price.

Rexone
07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
The pre-order link is dead on your website Jeff.
One suggestion for next year on the jumbotron coverage. After Todd finished most all coverage turned to him and the victory dock. None of the other teams got any finish line coverage much at all I heard from some of their supporters that were watching the JT and waiting to see their teams finish no no avail. Just what I heard. Since the finish is down by the QM you really can't see it well if at all from the hotel.
I think it's great though what you are doing. Hell of a lot better than years past for the spectators.

PHOTOGLOU
07-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the input baja dog and all....We are continuing to take notes and accepting all feedback good and bad. Please trust that it is our top priority to include all the teams, boats, names and faces and stories that make this sport so incredible. There were reasons for everything but the bottomline is that ski racing is really really expensive and difficult to broadcast live cameras over 30 miles of open ocean. We actually improved in many more ways. The 1st live internet broadcast proved to be an extra added success receiving 7920 viewers from around the world. Our quality of footage improved for all of the teams which will be more evident on the DVD. We had 12 cameras out there only four could be live. There will not be any static that was on the live show, so expect a top quality DVD improved again from last years. The Air 7 HD chopper is a blessing to have shooting the race thanks to the pros at Helinet Aviation and KABC. They should definitely take zero of the blame for any production errors. My team at Goldfinger Racing and Phase One will take all the heat ourselves. Would love to hear from you.
Jeff Barrus
Goldfinger Racing
www.GoldfingerRacing.com
PS. Hey, Jay I've seen the good footage of you now. You will like it when I'm done.
Love it......................:D

Riverkid
07-24-2007, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=Rexone;2687070]Bob's boat is undisputably the nicest boat I've ever observed in and first class all the way. 42 Outer Limits with #6's. It just doesn't get any better. We all had a great time and Andy did real well too.
A few pics...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/714-1.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/714-2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/714-3.jpg
:D :D :D That ski tow looks a little tall :D :D :D
Nice run. Hell of a rig. I looked at that for a while on Friday at the dock. WOW.:D
You guys were one of the last boats turning in an ID and I had the twins so no go for pics...

Riverkid
07-24-2007, 07:25 PM
The pre-order link is dead on your website Jeff.
One suggestion for next year on the jumbotron coverage. After Todd finished most all coverage turned to him and the victory dock. None of the other teams got any finish line coverage much at all I heard from some of their supporters that were watching the JT and waiting to see their teams finish no no avail. Just what I heard. Since the finish is down by the QM you really can't see it well if at all from the hotel.
I think it's great though what you are doing. Hell of a lot better than years past for the spectators.
Every racer likes to see their boat finish. So do all their friends... How much time on a disc? That would sell a lot of DVD's... :D
BTW we got cutoff on the last year deal. :D

Goldfinger
07-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Thank you. We are definitely taking strides in the right direction.
There were many super heroes out there this weekend who put on this show. First, everyone from The Long Beach Boat and Ski Club does so much hard work all year long for this event. They are all volunteers devoting their own time and money all year long to make this race possible. Secondly, Western Technical Services headed up by Chris Gibbons and Tim Lynch. These guys set up a web of microwave signals throughout Long Beach Harbor to beam the 4 live camera signals back to the Jumboscreen. Everything they and their crew set up went off 100% perfect sure fire without a hitch. Just so you know, the various static in the pictures that you saw comes mostly from interference shooting signals across one of the World's largest and most protected harbors. Also, the helicopter skid can get in the way like you see in a car chase. The Air 7 footage was also recorded directly and will be crystal clear for the DVD like last year. Another most beautiful superhero of the production is Ren Hanami. She handled our first live internet feed solely on her own from start to finish as well as executed all promotional aspects and sponsorship and media management. She's a star. There were many many more like Dave Mann from Jumboscreen.com and the LB Coast Hotel. Kenny Vaughn, Randy Jarrel and Rick Lemmon. Carl Johnson from Rolls High Reach brought out the finest equipment I've seen that exceeded all our expectations. Lastly, did anyone see that skier in the Capt America suit? What a weirdo.

Riverkid
07-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Thank you. We are definitely taking strides in the right direction.
There were many super heroes out there this weekend who put on this show. First, everyone from The Long Beach Boat and Ski Club does so much hard work all year long for this event. They are all volunteers devoting their own time and money all year long to make this race possible. Secondly, Western Technical Services headed up by Chris Gibbons and Tim Lynch. These guys set up a web of microwave signals throughout Long Beach Harbor to beam the 4 live camera signals back to the Jumboscreen. Everything they and their crew set up went off 100% perfect sure fire without a hitch. Just so you know, the various static in the pictures that you saw comes mostly from interference shooting signals across one of the World's largest and most protected harbors. Also, the helicopter skid can get in the way like you see in a car chase. The Air 7 footage was also recorded directly and will be crystal clear for the DVD like last year. Another most beautiful superhero of the production is Ren Hanami. She handled our first live internet feed solely on her own from start to finish as well as executed all promotional aspects and sponsorship and media management. She's a star. There were many many more like Dave Mann from Jumboscreen.com and the LB Coast Hotel. Kenny Vaughn, Randy Jarrel and Rick Lemmon. Carl Johnson from Rolls High Reach brought out the finest equipment I've seen that exceeded all our expectations. Lastly, did anyone see that skier in the Capt America suit? What a weirdo.
I saw Chris and his WTS guys working on Friday. Also viewed the antenna work. That's a good guy you've got there.
You guys do better every year. Congrats. :D

Steamin' Rice
07-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Lastly, did anyone see that skier in the Capt America suit? What a weirdo.
What a nut..... :D :D

Riverkid
07-24-2007, 08:14 PM
What a nut..... :D :D
Did you pull that guy? Classic. :D

Steamin' Rice
07-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Did you pull that guy? Classic. :D
No I didn't pull him, but I think he's on the boards....:)

SCOPE
07-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Congrats to all......an awesome event as always!!!!!!!!!!