PDA

View Full Version : Questions to ask when purchasing pre-owned

Titan7
07-22-2007, 07:02 PM
So the wife and I are going to take a look at a couple boats in person within the next couple days. What are the main questions I need to ask? The top of the interest list is a 2002 Ultra 247xs, 496mag, 48 hours. Guys states he has not run the boat in a couple years. Is that not good for the motor or drive?
thanks for any suggestions!!
I was thinking of perhaps having it taken to Ultra and pay for them to give it a once over review?

Havasu Hangin'
07-22-2007, 07:13 PM
About the only way to check the motor internals is a leak-down test and and oil analysis.

RUCAV
07-22-2007, 10:31 PM
What are they asking?
So the wife and I are going to take a look at a couple boats in person within the next couple days. What are the main questions I need to ask? The top of the interest list is a 2002 Ultra 247xs, 496mag, 48 hours. Guys states he has not run the boat in a couple years. Is that not good for the motor or drive?
thanks for any suggestions!!
I was thinking of perhaps having it taken to Ultra and pay for them to give it a once over review?

Danhercules
07-23-2007, 11:45 AM
I would go look at the boat. IF you like it and agree on a price, tell them you want the boat looked at. Have a leakdown test and then take it on the water.
Put a small deposit down, $50 bucks. The shop labor your gonna have to pay for. Just think of it as an insurance policy. If the motor comes back bad, your insurance policy paid off.
If it comes back good, you got piece of mind its good.
Be sure to take the boat on the water with the seller. Never buy a boat with out riding and driving it.

andy01
07-23-2007, 11:53 AM
All good advice. I would take it to a shop that works on and services Merc. stuff. I wouldn't take it to Ultra, they may not be the right source for that. I would find a shop you pick near the seller and pay to have it checked. The gas may be bad, oil should be changed in the motor and drive. I would also call John West at Ultra and ask him about the boat. He is a great guy and will be more then happy to help you out. Find out why it has been sitting for two years. After all is done and everything checks out clear, go run it for 30-45 minutes before the sale. If it floats and drives as stated buy it. Remember it is a used boat and some of if not all of this should or shouldn't be done. If the boat is for sale for 10K below value then buy it and take it in for service. It all depends on pricing.
Good luck, also ask if it has had anything replaced or repaired. From wear or accident.
Andy

Screaming Pete
07-23-2007, 12:21 PM
check and see if it has been run in salt water if it has RUN....check the trailer for rust and hubs for leaking. i've bought 2 ultras and both have been winners and never lost money:D

Chico&Zeus
07-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Look at the boat for about 2 seconds then ask the seller "Whats your bottom dollar?" or "Whats your lowest price?" That always makes the deal go so much smoother:D