PDA

View Full Version : Video I-pod

Outnumbered
07-24-2007, 10:42 PM
If I get my kids Video Ipods can I rip their DVD movies to them so they can use them on road trips? Also, can you plug the I-pod into your vehicle DVD/LCD TV?
Thanks

Jesster
07-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I rip My DVD's to Video Ipod with CloneDVDMobile. It works great but must be used with Slysoft AnyDVD. I play videos from the IPOD on my DVD system in my F-150 but it is the Pioneer AVIC-D3 that has controls for the Ipod built in, works great though.

Outnumbered
07-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Thanks. What is the Slysoft all about?

socalmoney
07-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Ripping DVDs is a pain in the ass for most people. They just don't have the patience or skills to do it. Defeat the decryption and then you have to compress the video to H264. Basically, if you like to do this kind of stuff it's easy. If you don't, you will be buying all your content on iTunes. You can learn a lot on this site. http://www.doom9.org/

Outnumbered
07-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Ripping DVDs is a pain in the ass for most people. They just don't have the patience or skills to do it. Defeat the decryption and then you have to compress the video to H264. Basically, if you like to do this kind of stuff it's easy. If you don't, you will be buying all your content on iTunes. You can learn a lot on this site. http://www.doom9.org/
That is true, I hate to spend time doing that stuff. That is why I dont have an Ipod and still use a 10-disc changer and XM in the boat. So if this is even more of a pain in the ass than music then I will probably look at another set-up. Thanks.

Jesster
07-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Slysoft AnyDVD and CloneDVDMobile make it a one step process. Then put it in your IPOD folder an load it. No Hassles.

buzzaro
07-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks. What is the Slysoft all about?
That removes the DMR (Digital Media Rights) from the dvd, thats what they mean when they say Rip or Ripping.
I use the free version of DVDfab HD decrytper (http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm), which does the same thing as anyDVD. I think if you buy their full version it will convert to Ipod mpeg 4 format for you, but I use Nero Recode for that which came with my computer.

Jesster
07-25-2007, 08:05 AM
AnyDVD runs in the background and does the decryption all you have to do is load it when you install it. Then start CloneDVDMobile show itt where the DVD is and go I think the only thing it asks is what you want as an output format and I believe one of the options is IPOD Video. You can buy all the software as a package just google AnyDVD or dld it from a Torrent site and see if you like it if you do purchase it. The website may also offer free trials.

Tom Brown
07-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Ripping DVDs is a pain in the ass for most people.
Good post, that.
As well as that, I can't think of a movie I would consider watching on the iPod. Without one of the large screen accessories, you'd have to be pretty desperate to watch a movie on it.
The video part of the iPod doesn't get sweet until you get into something like MythTV that can podcast your shows. There are some shows I don't mind watching on the iPod and they come in automatically when I set the iPod in the dock so I can chose to watch them on my TV or the iPod. I usually watch the Daily Show on the iPod when I'm riding my bike. It's not a show that requires a big screen or even a lot of direct attention. It's cool to take 60 minutes of CNN to work each morning too. Sure, it would be nice to have a larger picture of the hot news chicks but it's not necessary.
I couldn't imagine watching a sit-com on the iPod, though. It seems to lend itself to shows you might typically watch in the background without paying a lot of direct attention to.
I kind of like the look of the new Philips dcp850 DVD player, iPod video dock. You can set the iPod in it and have a 8.5" screen. That would be plenty for long trips. Even better, it will play DVDs directly so you don't have to rip anything you don't want to. Apparently, image quality of the DCP850, while acceptable, is not as good as other video docks which are iPod only (there are only two others I know about). Still, it would be something to consider.
In summary, I wouldn't buy the iPod Video for it's photo or video abilities. Most people would find it pretty much useless. It's really only good for a niche market because the screen is only 2.5" in size. It's surprisingly sharp for it's size, though.

Invisible Sun
07-25-2007, 05:31 PM
I've got mine loaded with movies that we can watch when we are travelling. With a selection of cables I can plug it into a hotel TV or any video in source. It's taken some time, but I've got about 90 movies on my hard drive that I ripped and converted with a program called handbrake. It's more of a hobby than anything else. The hardest part is deciding what movies to bring with us.