PDA

View Full Version : tunnel tabs

PLACECRAFT20
07-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey guys,
Have you thought about doing some kind of easy pull pin setup on your turnbuckle tunnel tabs to make them easier to adjust. If it had a pin set up like
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Images/ProductImages/productimage_1140.gif
It could be ajusted in the water. The setup now with the c clips is a bitch.
I love the tabs just dont like pulling the clips.

shippingguy
07-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey guys,
Have you thought about doing some kind of easy pull pin setup on your turnbuckle tunnel tabs to make them easier to adjust. If it had a pin set up like
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Images/ProductImages/productimage_1140.gif
It could be ajusted in the water. The setup now with the c clips is a bitch.
I love the tabs just dont like pulling the clips.
I know that Dana made a set for my 2005 27 Shadow and they were a piece of cake to adjust. No clips or anything. Just a couple turns of the wrench and you were good to go. Sorry I do not have any pics. Bob do you still have the specs on those as well as make them? I notice that style is not on your website.
Mike

Dana Marine Products
07-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately, those types of pins are simply not reliable enough when dealing with a critical part. If a pin were to fail and a tab falls, someone could get hurt. So, although I understand that it takes a minute and a pair of snap ring pliers to adjust the tab, it's not something that requires constant adjustment. Once they're set, they're set. The type of pin and outer clip we use is very reliable and they don't fall apart and accidently come out.
That's the end result, products that stay together.

Smitty19
11-29-2007, 09:07 PM
so I bought a 21' daytona v'drive that has cav plates in 3 locations (lowest points on the tunnel, but there not adjustable. I had planed to install a down pedal do tunnel tabs help in this applcation or are they more for out drives. I heard a few people put them on smaler jet tunnel's but didn't do any thing. what you say?

Dana Marine Products
11-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Anytime you're searching for information on how your boat may possibly react to changes, I would suggest trying to talk to people who have the same boat and setup, or talking to the manufacturer. I'm not sure if you're boat is an Eliminator Daytona, if it is we have had some experience.
We use the adjustable tunnel tabs quite often on the 21 Eliminator Daytona, both aftermarket and new installs at Eliminator.
There's alot of variables with this subject. You'll find drastic differences between v-drive, jet, outboard, and outdrive installations. I wouldn't compare your v-drive to a jet, because there's a very substantial difference when looking at weight placement and driving force.
If you have cav plates on the boat now, they should have adjustable turnbuckles. I understand your system is not adjustable from the drivers seat. The addition of my tunnel tabs would be the same as your current set up.
Installing a control assembly so you can adjust your cav plates while underway isn't a bad idea. It will allow you to adjust the plates so you can tune the boat's attitude and fine tune the boat throughout it's speed range.
It's one of those things, you'll never know if the boat needs this upgrade until you either (A) run your boat at several speed ranges where you've adjusted the height of you cav plates (manually on the trailer). Doing this will give you good info on the attitude of the boat at different speed ranges. This will be time consuming, and I'd suggest taking notes. You may a find a fixed plate setting where the boat works really good and not see the need to add an adjustable sytem. Option (B) is to do the conversion, and hope that it is beneficial to have ajdustable cav plates on your boat. It will be costly and time consuming, so if you decide to move forward on the project, I hope it benefits as you hope for.
If you have any other questions, let me know.