PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix News Choppers Crash....

Boatcop
07-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Two News helicopters just crashed in Phoenix. They were covering a Police pursuit, collided and crashed into a park near Indian School and Central.
The birds were from channel 15 (ABC) and Channel 3 (Indie).
The suspect in the pursuit bailed out and is held up in a home. He will be facing additional charges for the deaths of the copter crews.

squirt'nmyload
07-27-2007, 02:08 PM
He will be facing additional charges for the deaths of the copter crews.
hey boatcop.....can you shed some light on how that works???

Boatcop
07-27-2007, 02:11 PM
hey boatcop.....can you shed some light on how that works???
It's the "Capital Murder" law. If, in the commission of a Felony, a person dies as a result of the suspect's actions, they can be charged with murder.

Cole Trickle
07-27-2007, 02:15 PM
It's the "Capital Murder" law. If, in the commission of a Felony, a person dies as a result of the suspect's actions, they can be charged with murder.
That makes absoultely zero cense.......
It is soley pilot error that caused that accident. I understand if he rams a police car off the road and it takes some pedestrians out but a helicopter?????
I don't think the media should be allowed to follow a police pursuit. It's like a bunch of sharks trying to get the best coverage and there is no benefit to it.

squirt'nmyload
07-27-2007, 02:18 PM
even though it was a possible pilot error??.....in no way am i defending the suspect but that is pretty tough............very sad day here in PHX :(

slink
07-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Keep us posted on the case decision as this one progresses. If they do file the murder charge, I could see this one going all the way to the US Supreme. Not that I agree, but did his action really lead to their deaths?

meaniam
07-27-2007, 02:27 PM
not sayin your not right boatcop. but shit that sounds like a stretch to me. i guess throw as much shit against the wall as you can. and see what sticks. no need in hold the pilots responsible. when you have a great fall guy

lalhc
07-27-2007, 02:28 PM
The Phoenix Police Chief already said that the suspect will be charged in the copter victims death.

Keith E. Sayre
07-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Irregardless of the charges, what a tragic loss. Something that we simply take for granted. Almost like a member of the family. Those guys seem like they're in your bedroom every morning while you're getting ready for work and in your living room every evening when you get home from work and while you're eating dinner. Seems like such a shame. Can't imagine their families right now. I guess we won't take that for granted anymore.
Keith Sayre

Mandelon
07-27-2007, 02:37 PM
So If I was watching it on tv and burned my tongue on some hot coffee cuz I was so engrossed in the coverage, can I sue the guy too??? :confused:
That's seems silly. He didn't make the chopper guys follow him, that's their choice....

Baja Big Dog
07-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Would the copters been in a position to crash if the douche bag had not committed a crime? NO...Hang them, let sheriff Joe handle the details.
Until they make it legal to shoot scum bags that create the police pursuits that the news covers, they will make the scum pay for the results of the wrong decision to run from the cops...

slink
07-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Would the copters been in a position to crash if the douche bag had not committed a crime? NO...Hang them, let sheriff Joe handle the details.
Until they make it legal to shoot scum bags that create the police pursuits that the news covers, they will make the scum pay for the results of the wrong decision to run from the cops...
Like I said, this will probably set some case law. Sad to say, but it's only a matter of time until it happens here in CA. I've been at the conclussion of several "Sensationalized" events, only to look up and see anywhere from 5-10 helicopters hovering for the "Shot".

msc5195
07-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Not to question your knowledge of the law but I do nor agree with the system if this is so.
So lets say that someone is watching it live on TV and gets so excited they the have a heart attack and dies. This person just died at the action of this crime committing scumbag therefore the scumbag could be charged with murder?
YES, the scumbag should be shot for the crime he committed but not for the death of these news crews or the TV watching heart attack victim!
Just my 2ยข

OverKill
07-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Boat Cop
He may be charged, but what are the odds he will be convicted??
OverKill

ratso
07-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Boat Cop
OverKill
That will depend on his "race";)

ratso
07-27-2007, 03:03 PM
...shoot a few of these sumbitches in the head... there wouldn't be any more "pursuits" to film.

Havasu Carrera
07-27-2007, 03:03 PM
So I guess if a news chopper is covering a Santa Clause Christmas parade and crashes into a tree then Santa and the elves will do time for capital murder. Hmmmmm :(

ratso
07-27-2007, 03:05 PM
So I guess if a news chopper is covering a Santa Clause Christmas parade and crashes into a tree then Santa and the elves will do time for capital murder. Hmmmmm :(
Santa wasn't committing a felony...;)

OverKill
That will depend on his "race";)
YEP he looked like an older hispanic gangster. You know the whole socks pulled up to his knees thing. That would be fantastic if he were an Illeagle.

boats&bars
It is soley pilot error that caused that accident. I understand if he rams a police car off the road and it takes some pedestrians out but a helicopter?????
I don't think the media should be allowed to follow a police pursuit. It's like a bunch of sharks trying to get the best coverage and there is no benefit to it.
Those Helicopters would be doing routene flights for traffic reports and such, but because there was a felony in place (fleeing police) the choppers were following the chase and crashed, maybe it was pilot error, however they more than likley would not have been at the same place at the same time and crashed, Im sure the NTSB report will clear up what happened and place the fault accordingly. still a sad situation for all involved.

YeLLowBoaT
07-27-2007, 03:07 PM
The Phoenix Police Chief already said that the suspect will be charged in the copter victims death.
And that is why police chiefs do not flie charges...they may have been arrested for that, but the DA still has the final say.

ratso
07-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Bottom line, innocent lives were lost over a piece of shit.

Magic34
07-27-2007, 03:10 PM
:(
http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/commphotos/view.php?id=69124

YeLLowBoaT
07-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Bottom line, innocent lives were lost over a piece of shit.
Correction, innocent lives were lost in the name of profit.

Boatcop
07-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Boat Cop
OverKill
Very high odds of conviction.
In a nutshell this is the Felony Murder Doctrine.
A rule of criminal statutes that any death which occurs during the commission of a felony is first degree murder, and all participants in that felony or attempted felony can be charged with and found guilty of murder. A typical example is a robbery involving more than one criminal, in which one of them shoots, beats to death or runs over a store clerk, killing the clerk. Even if the death were accidental, all of the participants can be found guilty of felony murder, including those who did no harm, had no gun, and/or did not intend to hurt anyone. In a bizarre situation, if one of the holdup men or women is killed, his/her fellow robbers can be charged with murder.

Magic34
07-27-2007, 03:15 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/commphotos/view.php?id=69171

YeLLowBoaT
07-27-2007, 03:17 PM
The fact that the deaths happend as a result from a for profit enterprize will also make a huge diffrence in this case. I'm sure the pilots were told to fallow the action, which also place blame on the owers of the TV satations.
If they are charged its going to get messy.

ratso
07-27-2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/commphotos/view.php?id=69171
That is sad... I've seen too many of these car chases, because the pricks know the cops can't do anything... Shoot em! http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/yuk.gif

77charger
07-27-2007, 03:19 PM
If i remember correctly there wa s case here in oc that invloved a crash and they charged the driver with the death too. wheter its error or ot the suspect is toast.
I like to watch them chases on tv also but dont hope to see innocent ones get killed over it even pilots.Fine if the suspect gets taken out buts that about it

OverKill
07-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Magic
are those the helicopters that went down? Or is that a jbb example?

LAPII
07-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Good criminal defense lawyer will be able to skate the copter charges. Definitely will set case law though if happens. Then again Arizona might have tougher standards then Cali.

Magic34
07-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Magic
are those the helicopters that went down? Or is that a jbb example?
That is an actual photo. :(
All over the local news now here.

It's all Good
07-27-2007, 03:32 PM
If i remember correctly there wa s case here in oc that invloved a crash and they charged the driver with the death too. wheter its error or ot the suspect is toast.
That was Newport Beach PD and Costa Mesa PD that collided during a pursuit.

Xlration Marine
07-27-2007, 03:38 PM
So who is to blame when the 2 DPS boys on bikes ran into each other on the 101 and Cactus. Or the 2 that ran into each other yesterday in east mesa?? Hot Dogging pilots,maybe. Anything for a story or a scoup?? In any case it isn't a good thing. Time to watch the 5:00 news on NBC 12.

AZJD
07-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Sad picture.......
This is a sensative case because these are VFR (visual flight), which means they did not, nor are they required to file a flight plan. They have free run at open air space under a certain altitude, and communicate with the tower that has control over the area they are in. (phoenix sky harbor) at the time of the accident. This basically means it's everybody for themselves. The tower will let you know when you are in the path of a departing, or arriving flight, but does not control other VFR flights or their proximities to you. They simply lost sight of one another and collided. From the sounds of witnesses, the ch 15 chopper made a direction change and collided with the ch 3 chopper.:(
Fault will be placed when the NTSB releases their findings, but I can't imagine any charges or financial responsibilities being asessed to the neglegent pilots employer. It is not much different than an auto accident other than the parties that are involved here were very close personally.
As far as the chase suspect being charged with the deaths, I would imagine this is something will not stick.... Just my .02

77charger
07-27-2007, 03:57 PM
That was Newport Beach PD and Costa Mesa PD that collided during a pursuit.
thats the one it was a while back i think almost, around or slightly more than 10 years ago .

It's all Good
07-27-2007, 04:23 PM
thats the one it was a while back i think almost, around or slightly more than 10 years ago .
I had to look it up. It was 20 years this past March.

Jbb
07-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Godspeed to the pilots & crews....:( ...sad day for their families...as for the piece of shit the police were chasing....I hope the law is applied .....I hope he is convicted......and if they cant find some one to pull the switch on him.....I will...