PDA

View Full Version : CAUTION! New Ebay Scam!

Boatcop
02-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Got an email this morning. Was a "Question From eBay Member" message. Looked exactly like an official eBay message. The message was as-follows:
We are contacting you about the following item: Toshiba rd-xs54 dvd Recorder w 250 gig hard drive (#5856334211)
The seller, lkaroll tells us you have mutually agreed not to complete the transaction (e.g. because you returned or are returning the item for a refund or because there was a misunderstanding) and has requested a credit for their eBay fees.
Please respond by 28-Feb-2006 so eBay knows whether you have agreed.
Best Regards.
I never bid on, or even looked at this item. As a matter of fact, there weren't even any bids on it.
There was an eBay "button" to click, which takes you to a log-in page. Except that I was already logged in (via www.ebay.com) and the url for THIS log in page was not the same as the ebay log in.
Be careful. They're coming up with new ways to rip you off every day.

Garrddogg
02-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Got an email this morning. Was a "Question From eBay Member" message. Looked exactly like an official eBay message. The message was as-follows:
I never bid on, or even looked at this item. As a matter of fact, there weren't even any bids on it.
There was an eBay "button" to click, which takes you to a log-in page. Except that I was already logged in (via www.ebay.com) and the url for THIS log in page was not the same as the ebay log in.
Be careful. They're coming up with new ways to rip you off every day.Its called "phishing" I think, its desined only to get your uname and password! :cool:

wsuwrhr
02-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Its called "phishing" I think, its desined only to get your uname and password! :cool:
I get a link from "yahoo" from my "brother" to view his family pictures. Without even thinking about it I put in my password, walla two days later I couldnt access my wsuwrhr email address anymore.
Yahoo wont give me access to my email because none of my personal information matches anymore. haha Frickin hackers. Got me good too. I have had that address for 10 years.
I am pretty dilligent and phishing, not this time, it looked like a legitimate yahoo page too.
I get the shit from ebay like boatcop is saying on a weekly basis. Same with the paypal deal.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-19-2006, 09:06 AM
In case you were wondering, I am still pretty pissed about the whole deal.
Fuk yahoo.
Brian

uvindex
02-19-2006, 09:26 AM
I have had that address for 10 years.That really does suck big time. Sorry to hear it. I'd have steam coming out of my ears if that happened to me.

wsuwrhr
02-19-2006, 09:32 AM
That really does suck big time. Sorry to hear it. I'd have steam coming out of my ears if that happened to me.
I am still pretty bent about it.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-19-2006, 09:35 AM
I begged and pleaded with Yahoo.
10 years.
I had emails saved from my wife when we were courting.
I am still pretty pissed about the whole deal. Did I say that already?
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Oh yea, gets even better.
Since geocities merged with yahoo a few years ago, my geocities account is lost as well.
So now my webpages aren't able to be changed EVER.
I had to get another hosting service and REDO all the pages, all over again.
Did I mention already how pissed I am about this?
Brian

boatsnblondes
02-19-2006, 10:39 AM
That is all Phishing.....some comes from Africa, but a lot from here stateside....NEVER EVER EVER reply to these...ebay NEVER sends out stuff asking you for anything....why would ebay want your card number??? They don't sell you the item, the seller does...they make thier money off the seller side...be carefull out there...as long as the Dems on the hill say no restrictions to the internet, it will continue to be a very dangerous place...and if you have sent in the info to one of these sites, better pull a report to make sure everything on it is yours.... :cry:

RitcheyRch
02-19-2006, 01:44 PM
I have also been getting the same e-mails from Ebay and PayPal.
That is all Phishing.....some comes from Africa, but a lot from here stateside....NEVER EVER EVER reply to these...ebay NEVER sends out stuff asking you for anything....why would ebay want your card number??? They don't sell you the item, the seller does...they make thier money off the seller side...be carefull out there...as long as the Dems on the hill say no restrictions to the internet, it will continue to be a very dangerous place...and if you have sent in the info to one of these sites, better pull a report to make sure everything on it is yours.... :cry:

jtmarten
02-19-2006, 08:53 PM
I've gotten a few of those Ebay messages in the last few weeks. When I was looking for a newer bike I watched Ebay (bought a sweet ride in a no problems auction) and saw several bikes that were listed by 2 people in different states. Same exact pics, same bike, just one was listed by a 0 feedback newbie with a ridiculously low buy-it-now. I'm hearing that hijacked auctions are getting really popular there. I sent a message to one of the losers asking how the bike could be listed in different states, let him/her know I'd be reporting it to Ebay. The listing was ended shortly thereafter. F***ing thieves!