PDA

View Full Version : How to get fiberglass cloth from showing under flowcoat ,after sanding

holorinhal
07-28-2007, 11:18 PM
How can You make the faint white patern of cloth that apears after sanding,not show thru after flowcoating?

FOURQ
07-29-2007, 08:27 AM
How can You make the faint white patern of cloth that apears after sanding,not show thru after flowcoating?
you cant!!!!!

holorinhal
07-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Well Hell!!!!! I guess I will Have to grind it all Back off and start over. Wonder if I should grind it althe way down to the wood ,or just into the mat?...H

FOURQ
07-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Well Hell!!!!! I guess I will Have to grind it all Back off and start over. Wonder if I should grind it althe way down to the wood ,or just into the mat?...H
just the mat..

TRG
07-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Sometimes, after the area that is showing cloth is cleaned, you might want to try compressed air and after that maybe dousing the area with a very clean rag saturated with acetone, sometimes dust will get cought within the mat and almost seem white, this works out sometimes!
Todd

DUCKY
08-01-2007, 08:37 AM
just the mat..
Looking at your pics, (Now I can't remember where...) I think you will need to get rid of it all. Your dry spots are actually in the mat, so I would suggest getting rid of it all (try not to dig into the wood). Give the wood a quick sanding, then put a nice coat of resin over the wood itself, let it kick, then lay down the mat and cloth again. Hate to be the bearer of bad news...but that's my opinion.

FOURQ
08-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Looking at your pics, (Now I can't remember where...) I think you will need to get rid of it all. Your dry spots are actually in the mat, so I would suggest getting rid of it all (try not to dig into the wood). Give the wood a quick sanding, then put a nice coat of resin over the wood itself, let it kick, then lay down the mat and cloth again. Hate to be the bearer of bad news...but that's my opinion.
what pics????

DUCKY
08-01-2007, 06:13 PM
These....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/kona_025.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/kona_028.jpg

TRG
08-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I thought we were talking about something completely different!
that just looks like a little dry lam. but then again i cant figure out how to get this comp. to give me better view of pics! lol
But then again Holorin was asking about the faint white glass after sanding, does'nt that pic look like dry lamination, or something dropped on the surface, during the curing stages????
Todd

DUCKY
08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
It's my opinion that the wood soaked up his resin..... Anytime I do a job like that, (especially with balsa) I always give the wood a quick coat of resin before attempting to laminate over it. I screwed up a large balsa repair once, and learned my lesson..... Looked great when I was done with the squeegee, I came back the next morning and the mat was all dried out.....very similar to Hal's situation...