PDA

View Full Version : Battery System

Sotally Tober
02-19-2006, 11:33 AM
OK guys need some input again. I'm going to need to upgrade my electrical system for my stereo (2500w). I have a 65 amp alt on my HO. I have searched all the batt. threads for research. Odesseys, Optimas, Iota and gen installs.
I currently have 2 standard battery deep cycle tied to a perko. I have room for a total of 3 inline, or 2 with a honda gen. What do you guys suggest. I normally just day boat as most the lakes around here are an hour away. I do not plan on sitting all day cranking it. I usually sit a couple hours (rehydrate), drive a couple and then sit again(rehydrate). The only thing I do worry is when I go to Powell for a week. I would have to run a cord from the houseboat to charge(PIA). If I go Odessey does the starting batt. have to be an Odessey also? Do I isolate with just the Perko or a charging isolater.
HH and SWB play nice now.

Havasu Hangin'
02-19-2006, 12:39 PM
It really depends on the draw of the amps. Once you get that figured out...you'll be able to get an estimate on how long your stereo batteries will last....depending on how you use it.
After wrestling with battery problems for years, I just isolated my last setup with two Perkos- one was "1-2-both" (engine)...and one was "on-off" (stereo- two batteries in parallel). I tied #2 on the first Perko to the common on the second. That way, if the first Perko is on "1", you have isolated the stereo batteries. If you want to charge them with the motor, flip it to "2" or "both".
When parked, turn them both off. Or, you could run an isolator.
I'd upgrade the alternator to a 100+ amp- good $120 spent (those 65 amp alternators don't do much).
An onboard charger will be nice- just plug it in, and it individually charges/maintains all the batteries.
HH and SWB play nice now.
Who is SWB? :confused:

Sotally Tober
02-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Who is SWB? :confused:
Funny! You'll meet him very soon I bet.
I just do noy want to buy items twice. I think I might atleast had a third batt. and paralell it to one that is already there. Then just turn off the single one when use the stereo.
Anyone know where to buy a good alt. online. One that is already black to match the motor. What is the factory wiring rated at on a 496HO. I do not want to melt anything.

Havasu Hangin'
02-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Anyone know where to buy a good alt. online. One that is already black to match the motor. What is the factory wiring rated at on a 496HO. I do not want to melt anything.
I bought my 100amp from a guy in Parker- a marine unit (chrome) for around $100.
Forget the stock wiring. Best case you'll lose some volts...worse case- you'll melt the wiring.
If you get a single-wire unit, then use a minimum 4 gauge with as short as possible to the Perko will do the trick.

phebus
02-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Here is the contact info for the alternator guy in Parker.
Ron @ RB Performance
(928)669-6411?

Sotally Tober
02-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Here is the contact info for the alternator guy in Parker.
Ron @ RB Performance
(928)669-6411?
Thanks, I'll give him a yell, Chrome is good!!