PDA

View Full Version : Calling all metal fabricators

socalmoney
07-30-2007, 03:38 PM
I need to replace the banister in my home. We are looking to do Stainless Tubing with cable rail. I got a quote back in May from a guy who came out and measured the job. Needless to say I called him back and asked if he would email me the quote again since I can't seem to find it. The dick head added 500 bucks to the old quote. I called him back and asked him if he raised the price on the quote I asked for in May (the one that says it's effective for 90 days from date of quote). He says "oh did you find your old one"? So he admits to me that he added money to the original quote. Now I am looking for someone else to do the job. Not many out there that do what I want so any help pointing me to someone or if you can handle this PM me please. I am ready to rock and roll on this project.
Here is a sample of what we are looking to do.
http://www.cablerail.com/pics/std_ov_3_lg.jpg

CoolCruzinCobra
07-30-2007, 03:59 PM
With stainless going up and fuel cost it's a hard to quote and hold the price.
It's better to pay more and get good job than to have a guy make up the difference in quality.In my line of work ( machine shop) I have no problem with a price change.
I would just not change it if I had a purchase order to start.
Some may say it not right but if your quoting short to get the work there is no room for things like material increases etc.

phebus
07-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Did you ask if they would honor the first quote since it was within the 90 days?

BrendellaJet
07-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Ditto with Cobra. Tell him you will pay the additional $500 if the job is done on time and is satisfactory, otherwise the old quote amount stands.

socalmoney
07-30-2007, 04:13 PM
I am fine with a price increase if I was told so on the phone or it was noted in the quote. I was a little pissed that it changed based on the fact that I told him I couldn't find the original. He said he would nix the 500 but it left a sour taste in my mouth. I just want honesty. I figure there is enough people out there who want work and thought I would ask here before hitting the phones.

79 HUSTLER
07-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Are you doing polished, brushed or raw stailess??? Also is the banister single sided (banister on one side/wall for the other side). About how long is needed???

socalmoney
07-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Are you doing polished, brushed or raw stailess??? Also is the banister single sided (banister on one side/wall for the other side). About how long is needed???
PM sent