PDA

View Full Version : Any of you old enough to remember him?

MagicMtnDan
02-20-2006, 11:22 AM
I am and do. I thought he was great (great voice too).
Longtime broadcaster Gowdy dies at 86
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Curt Gowdy, one of the signature voices of sports for a generation and the longtime broadcaster for the Boston Red Sox, died Monday at 86.
He died in Palm Beach after a long battle with leukemia, Red Sox spokeswoman Pam Ganley said.
Gowdy made his broadcasting debut in 1944 and went on to call 13 World Series and 16 All-Star games.
In 1951 Gowdy became main play-by-play voice on the Red Sox broadcast team. He left the Red Sox in 1966 for a 10-year stint as “Game of the Week” announcer for NBC. He was also the longtime host of the “American Sportsman” series.
“He’s certainly the greatest play-by-play person up to this point that NBC sports has ever had,” NBC Universal Sports chairman Dick Ebersol said Monday. “He literally carried the sports division at NBC for so many year on his back. ... He was a remarkable talent and he was an even more remarkable human being.”

Roaddogg 4040
02-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Great broadcaster! Sorry to hear about his passing.
Steve

chub
02-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Look Dan, until you act like your gonna get a boat 99.9% of your posts are just passed by from me. This needs my respect and is given to Mr. Gowdy now!
May the Lord bless and keep him.

Mandelon
02-20-2006, 05:39 PM
I remember him. Great voice.

MagicMtnDan
02-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Look Dan, until you act like your gonna get a boat 99.9% of your posts are just passed by from me.
No problem. Just remember that if you pass by all the posts by all the people who don't have boats you're gonna miss at least 20% of the posts :rolleyes:

cola
02-20-2006, 06:57 PM
In 1951 Gowdy became main play-by-play voice on the Red Sox broadcast team. He left the Red Sox in 1966 for a 10-year stint as “Game of the Week” announcer for NBC. He was also the longtime host of the “American Sportsman” series.
Didn't Larry Csonka work with him for a few years on that show. I think Curt's son does a sportsmans show now.

GHT
02-20-2006, 07:08 PM
No problem. Just remember that if you pass by all the posts by all the people who don't have boats you're gonna miss at least 20% of the posts :rolleyes:
I'll need to see back up proving these numbers. Then I will have to submit them to my wife so she can audit them. I think you estimates are way out of line. Just a W.A.G. on my part. :)

Jbb
02-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I am old enough to remember him....Used to watch the American Sportsman with my Dad when I was little...RIP Curt....

MBlaster
02-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Gowdy was great. I used to love American Sportsman when I was a kid.
RIP