PDA

View Full Version : My sister's boating accident

Phat Matt
08-04-2007, 01:16 PM
She just posted this on her myspace. They live in Washington and have a small Bayliner type boat. Anyway, here is the story.
So some of you already know about our day at the lake yesterday, but for you others, I don't have anymore energy to tell my story again so you can just read it. First of all, everybody is ok! Thank God! We were out with some old friends of ours at Lake Merwin out on their boat. We had a great day of swimming, skiing and TRYING to wakeboard. The kids wanted to stop for a bit of more swimming but it was a little choppy and lots of other boats in the way. We decided to head towards the dam where their are fewer people and less choppy. We were between 200-300 yards from shore just joy riding at about 25mph enjoying the scenery. My two older children were sitting in the front of the boat, Raelyn on the left relaxing and Justin on the right falling asleep. Since he was not holding on anymore, I asked him to lay on the floor up front so he could sleep. Mind you we had just finished skiing so for some reason I still had my lifejacket on as well as Eric. My friend Gina joking made the comment if she should have hers on and we shrugged that we just had not taken ours off yet. Not moments later, the boat went BOOM and the last thing I saw were my two precious children Raelyn and Justin flying in the air over the top of the boat and landed in the water behind us. Emily was asleep in my arms as I just started Screaming! I threw her on the floor and dove in the water after the other two. They were both fine but extreamy shooken up as we all were. I looked over and saw a fricken tree under the water and thought for sure that was what we had hit. I assumed the boat was going to go down but it had not taken any water in. We got safely back into the boat and tried to calm everybody down. I was histerical at that point b/c my children were now safe and it was ok for me to come out of CALM mode. We drove about 10mph back which took forever and docked. The kids laid on the shore as a sheriff their got them some blankets. They had gone in the water fully clothed with sweatpants and sweatshirts on so they had nothing warm to wear. We pulled out the boat curious to see the damage and shocked to see there was NOT a scratch, dent, or anyting on it. We had not hit the tree stump that I saw but one deeper just before the other one and it was only the base of the motor that hit so abruptly and flung my children. So since we are all ok, we have come to the conclusion that God has played his part in this. He may not have prevented the kids from being flung, but he prevented us from hitting a much BIGGER stump ahead that could have injured all of us. For some reason I had Justin lay on the floor to sleep, maybe to prevent anything worse from happening, and my lifejacket was still on b/c he knew I was going to be diving in after my children. God works in mysterious ways and although everything can not be prevented from happening, at least the worst was prevented and for that I am so thankful and I put my faith in him. I don't know what I would have done if I had lost my babies. This is not something I ever want to go through nor do I want anybody else to. Always take extra saftey precaution and wear your lifejacket or your seatbelt and for all you party people, don't drive drunk! My family is out there! Anyway, we are fine and thanks for your prayers.
Jennifer

27 Awesome cat
08-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Wow ,what an unbelievable story..
Glad to hear that everybody was ok.

Wet Dream
08-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Glad to hear that everyone is ok. What a scary ordeal.

BoatPI
08-04-2007, 01:53 PM
this truly is a perfect example for wearing vests, for everyone.
As I recall the person who died a week or so ago off of Windsor Beach drown after ejection. If he had been wearing a $15 Kmart vest, he would be alive...$15 to save your life. But then agiain he would not look cool wearing a $15 vest, would he?

ahhell
08-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Matt....So glad all were OK...you just never know when, where, or what. esp. scary when kids are involved

HocusPocus
08-04-2007, 02:01 PM
its always good to hear the happy ending to a story like this.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Good ending, but sorry she went through it.

Phat Matt
08-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Here are some recent pics of them. Justin is on the bike and
Raelyn is in the background.
http://a97.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/127/l_a9c8b67b20b15ef244cc2d3fca69c5e0.jpg
http://a35.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00489/43/02/489312034_l.jpg

Baja Big Dog
08-04-2007, 02:27 PM
WOW...a great story....perfect ending!:D

Phat Matt
08-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Ok. My sister just informed me that she doesn't have a Gayliner, it's a Sea Ray. lol. She was in her friends boat that was bigger than their's anyway. :D

Phat Matt
08-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Wow, nice ending to that story. Glad everybody is OK, especially those cute kids.
Yes it is. Could you imagine your kids flying out of the boat? I don't have kids but my dog almost flew out once. :jawdrop:

DILLIGAF
08-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Glad they are OK Matt

JetBoatRich
08-04-2007, 08:31 PM
good ending to what could have been a lot worst:rolleyes:
Glad they are OK Mat:D

lalhc
08-04-2007, 09:26 PM
My 13 year old son needs to read this. He moans and groans everytime I tell him to put on his life jacket, especially when he's riding up in the bow section. He doesn't think it looks cool, and all his other friends don't have to wear their jackets.
I'm glad to hear everyone is safe from this accident.

PaPaG
08-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Ok. My sister just informed me that she doesn't have a Gayliner, it's a Sea Ray. lol. She was in her friends boat that was bigger than their's anyway. :D
All I can say is Thank God that everyone is OK...Someone above was watching this family that is for sure....

cc322
08-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Wow things happen in a blink, glad all were ok .

boats&bars
08-05-2007, 10:27 AM
My 13 year old son needs to read this. He moans and groans everytime I tell him to put on his life jacket, especially when he's riding up in the bow section. He doesn't think it looks cool, and all his other friends don't have to wear their jackets.
I'm glad to hear everyone is safe from this accident.
Kids in my boat wear them or sit on shore.....
dont give him a choice.