PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha juice

RidinRed
08-04-2007, 11:16 PM
I searched for the Rhino page but nothing.
Does anybody have any pull with warranty work? The Rhino with 47 hrs decided to detonate. There is $1,500 worth the overpriced OEM motor parts waiting to go back in at the "stealer" and now they say it may not be covered. Yamaha will make the call this week I hope but in short, dealer says it is dust and I say it was mechanical. Basically top and bottom failed, oil preasure??
Thanks in advance for any help
Bill

Outnumbered
08-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Does anybody have any pull with warranty work? The Rhino with 47 hrs decided to detonate. There is $1,500 worth the overpriced OEM motor parts waiting to go back in at the "stealer" and now they say it may not be covered. Yamaha will make the call this week I hope but in short, dealer says it is dust and I say it was mechanical. Basically top and bottom failed, oil preasure??
Bill
Is this common? I just talked to a guy with one for sale with less than 200 hours--same deal. He said the dealer told him low octane fuel was the cause and they re-built it under warranty, so he says.

RiverRatMike
08-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Bill
You must have been pretty hard on your rhino or just bad luck. Have over 2000K on my 06 Rhino and it's been flawless. Awesome machine!

Outnumbered
08-05-2007, 07:55 AM
You must have been pretty hard on your rhino or just bad luck. Have over 2000K on my 06 Rhino and it's been flawless. Awesome machine!
Can running 87 octane kill the motor? That is what some guy told me that had a low-hour rebuild.

RidinRed
08-09-2007, 11:40 PM
too hard? didn't know there was such a thing :confused: LOL yeah i guess i ride it harder then some but no worse then the other 6-8 in our group. just my luck i think.

RidinRed
08-25-2007, 12:36 AM
Well, here is an update for those interested. no verdict yet on this.
the pricks at World Motorcycles have all but washed their hands on this and the best they could do for me was give me the number to Yamaha. Yeah thanks for the help now that you have cashed the check.
So, i called corporate hq. "Ride now" and they are to get back to me.
So far i say buy from them at your own risk :mad:

Outnumbered
08-25-2007, 01:29 AM
the pricks at World Motorcycles have all but washed their hands on this and the best they could do for me was give me the number to Yamaha. Yeah thanks for the help now that you have cashed the check.
Ride Now Powersports has a bad rep down here in PHX. I think they are owned by an automotive group. 'nuff said:rolleyes: Good luck.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Keep your cool, call Yamaha, and maybe they'll help.
You can also go breach of warranty with small claims court.
Small Claims is usually located at your local County Court house.
I've won every small claims issue I've filed.
They'll usually hold their nose and hand ya a check to avoid the court appearance.
Get the service managers name, and serve the papers on him, and the manager of the dealership too.
In addition to a good chance of getting your money, you'll be fuxing with their heads.
I've been riding Yamahas since 1965.
We own several yfz 450's now, as well as new Hondas, Zukis and Kawis.
Our warranty experiences:
Yamaha is best purchased from an owner/operator dealer, because it's best to take it back where ya bought it for problems. A big corporation dealer will straight arm you on warranty.
It's the worst of the Rice burning four on warranty claims, and an owner/operator dealer will push little harder to get ya through the system.
The early Craptors had the tranny grenading problems and Yami stuck it to the buyers. Shut everyone out on warranty repairs.
Yamaha is a cold blooded company with customer service.
The Honda 300 had the same tranny problem and Honda came to bat for owners, even beyond warranty.

RiverRatMike
08-25-2007, 05:14 AM
Keep your cool, call Yamaha, and maybe they'll help.
You can also go breach of warranty with small claims court.
Small Claims is usually located at your local County Court house.
I've won every small claims issue I've filed.
They'll usually hold their nose and hand ya a check to avoid the court appearance.
Get the service managers name, and serve the papers on him, and the manager of the dealership too.
In addition to a good chance of getting your money, you'll be fuxing with their heads.
I've been riding Yamahas since 1965.
We own several yfz 450's now, as well as new Hondas, Zukis and Kawis.
Our warranty experiences:
Yamaha is best purchased from an owner/operator dealer, because it's best to take it back where ya bought it for problems. A big corporation dealer will straight arm you on warranty.
It's the worst of the Rice burning four on warranty claims, and an owner/operator dealer will push little harder to get ya through the system.
The early Craptors had the tranny grenading problems and Yami stuck it to the buyers. Shut everyone out on warranty repairs.
Yamaha is a cold blooded company with customer service.
The Honda 300 had the same tranny problem and Honda came to bat for owners, even beyond warranty.
Dude your high. Yamaha has always been right there for me everytime. You want cold blooded service. Try owning a Sea-Doo or Bombardier product. I owned a Raptor 660 for a couple of years and beat the hell out of that machine and it never skipped a beat.

FLATS ONLY
08-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Keep your cool and use the phone number they gave you. There are very few problems with these units but sh#t happens. I do this for a living and yamaha is one of the best at taking care of things. They only hold a little over 2 quts. of oil and it should be changed at 250 to 300 miles. They may offer the parts as goodwill but if you had the y.e.s. warranty it would be taken care of. I dont know your situation at your dealership but there are good and bad ones.When you call yamaha customer service you might mention that you need to get this unit repaired so you can purchase a new yamaha. If you dont have any luck pm me and maybe I can help.

charitycase
08-25-2007, 06:39 AM
Can running 87 octane kill the motor? That is what some guy told me that had a low-hour rebuild.
I don't know about AZ fuel but,here in Calif the MFG of some of the equip I sell states in the owners manual use 89 octane fuel or better.

charitycase
08-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Bill
Depending how old this thing is it could be "dusted".It's usally caused by a poor seal between airbox & intake/carb.If the dealer installed aftermarket intake system,call them on it.Most mfg will stand behind there product.It's just how much work the dealer is willing to do.Just my .02
Good Luck.

Baja Big Dog
08-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Fill in the blanks....
Is the bike stock?
Pipes?
Maybe a little rev kit?
Maybe carb work?
Any of which can and WILL lead to the denial of warranty claim, and you can make all the calls your want, and you can sue all you want, bottom line is if you modified the bike the factory can and will deny warranty.
The first line is the dealer, like Trailer Park said, the quality of the dealer and the way they word the needed repairs will have an impact on your claim, some are pricks, and go by the books, and if you didn't buy the bike from them, they will have no interest in helping you.
If you didn't modify the bike, and can PROVE the required maintenance, the dealer would have no reason to deny warranty.
Is there any chance you may have failed to mention any of the above mod's?

Dan Lorenze
08-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Keep your cool and use the phone number they gave you. There are very few problems with these units but sh#t happens. I do this for a living and yamaha is one of the best at taking care of things. They only hold a little over 2 quts. of oil and it should be changed at 250 to 300 miles. They may offer the parts as goodwill but if you had the y.e.s. warranty it would be taken care of. I dont know your situation at your dealership but there are good and bad ones.When you call yamaha customer service you might mention that you need to get this unit repaired so you can purchase a new yamaha. If you dont have any luck pm me and maybe I can help.
Good post, and I agree... I have a friend that contacted Yamaha after having some problems with his WR450. Yamaha followed up with him and had a local dealer take care of it all with the exception of a few parts, gaskets and such.. It can be done...
KTM has done this with me also. Took care of everything... Just a matter of getting the right person on the other side of the phone..
Good luck

RidinRed
08-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Keep your cool ....... They only hold a little over 2 quts. of oil and it should be changed at 250 to 300 miles. They may offer the parts as goodwill but if you had the y.e.s. warranty it would be taken care of. I dont know your situation at your dealership but there are good and bad ones.........
Y.E.S.? I have what they referred to as a PCMP (?) it is 2 additional years of service and warranty. As for the oil, they did service at 10 or 15 hours and this all came about 50hrs. which was also a scheduled service interval. over the weekend leading to this it burned a qt a day ?
Thanks for your input and the offer!

djunkie
08-25-2007, 09:42 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!! If you change the CDI then I wouldn't run anything less than 91. The instructions with my CDI specifically said to run 91 or better since it advanced the timing 4 degrees along with raising the rev limiter.

RidinRed
08-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Fill in the blanks....
Is the bike stock?
Pipes?
Maybe a little rev kit?
Maybe carb work?
Any of which can and WILL lead to the denial of warranty claim, and you can make all the calls your want, and you can sue all you want, bottom line is if you modified the bike the factory can and will deny warranty.
The first line is the dealer, like Trailer Park said, the quality of the dealer and the way they word the needed repairs will have an impact on your claim, some are pricks, and go by the books, and if you didn't buy the bike from them, they will have no interest in helping you.
If you didn't modify the bike, and can PROVE the required maintenance, the dealer would have no reason to deny warranty.
Is there any chance you may have failed to mention any of the above mod's?
Is the bike stock? only a cage and seats
Pipes? stock
Maybe a little rev kit? stock
Maybe carb work? stock
I have not done squat to this thing and sure, i agree it is a result of the dealer's wording. They may have but didn't give me the warm fuzzies that they were presenting this case in support of my needs.
I have had just about every brand at some point. Complaints were rare but the dealer always made sure it was taken care of.
These guys even bragged that they had never been audited by Yamaha.
I replied with, yeah i see why.
Thanks to all
Bill

RidinRed
09-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Well, after a chit load of calls they gave a break on the price but still am out of pocket.
Thanks to all that advised

Trailer Park Casanova
09-14-2007, 03:18 AM
Dude your high. Yamaha has always been right there for me everytime. You want cold blooded service. Try owning a Sea-Doo or Bombardier product. I owned a Raptor 660 for a couple of years and beat the hell out of that machine and it never skipped a beat.
Sea Doo is far far worse than Yamaha.
Getting back to Yamaha, you must have has the second year 660 and wouldn't know because you didn't have the problem.
.Ask anyone with the starter or trans grenading problems during warranty on the first year Craptors.
A small piece broke off inside grenading both the motor and the tranny.
Yami shut us all out. I know of no-one that Yami helped.
Took small claims to get action. Sand Forums were full of threads of people shut out by Yami with class actions over the 660.
If you run a search on GD.com you'll find all kinds of woefull tales.
A shitstorm of stories.
Because your later model ran good, doesn't make their past customer service good. Your warranty was worthless.
Bombardier is worse.
The best way to deal with them is lemon law.
On our Speedster 430, Lemon Law atty told us 9% of Bombardier watercraft sold in the US end up being buy-back negotiated. Bombardier knows this and simply adds it to it's sales price & cost of doing biz.
I wouldn't buy any Sea Doo product or Bombardier for that matter again.
Been bit by that dog big time.

2Driver
09-14-2007, 07:37 AM
"Ride Now", there's your problem. Nothing but disappointments with those guys in Phx for me.

Riomouse911
09-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Ya, it sounds like yours is one with bad juju, the only ones I have ever seen blown up or broken either had engine/suspension mods up the wazoo or they were wrecked. I hope thhings work out, but if they keep digging their heels in, small claims is the way to go.

RidinRed
09-14-2007, 11:26 PM
I know the world is full of good and bad examples of customer service. At least it is behind me now. The rhino uses a Grizzly drivetrain not the craptor though, explains the lack of power. There are a bunch with mod's and yes the do break. As far as Bombardier (spelling?), I always had Ski-doo, they never let me down. Always sad to hear of these companies that will not do enough R&D prior to releasing a product. just my .02