PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a procharger???

I DIG IT !
08-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Well I like my new boat that I bought this year. It's a 28 Nordic heat with a 496HO. Trim tabs, XR drive, Single ram hydro steering I think that it's WPM??? Any way I knew that when I bought it would not have all of the proformance needs that I'm looking for. But with the bigger drive and steering and on's I knew that up grade in the near future would be alot less $$$$$. I really wanted to find the same boat with a 525 but was not sucessful. I'm thinking that buy adding a procharger M1sc and intercoller at 5psi about
625HP , well get me to where I want to be. And for less $$$ than the same boat with a 525??? The turd does low 60's, about 62 or 63 GPS. I also realize that this is a big single engine boat but, I would really like to get in the high 70's Any thought about this. What is the best way with a 496ho?? whipple?? raylar?? procharge??? I think that, and I havent call yet but the procharge is about $5500 with a 3 year warranty. :idea:

I DIG IT !
08-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Wow no replies, maby to soon on a sunday

Reaper1
08-05-2007, 04:27 PM
It's only money, let it rip! It will give the boat a whole new attitude and you will enjoy driving it that much more.;)

79centurion
08-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Never used a procharger on a boat, but installed alot of them on cars. Great product, and build good hp. Go for it.
Dan

BADBLOWN572
08-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Make sure that when they go and put the Pro Charger on your motor that you also do the head gaskets. I know of several 496's that had pro chargers installed and have pushed out head gaskets. Just my .02. :)

Raylar
08-05-2007, 06:05 PM
The three year warranty is on their supercharger, NOT on YOUR Motor!
I think we know a little about 496's both stock and reworked and I would never install a supercharger on a stock 496 engine. Rework your 496 with forged internals and a good supercharger and ECM reprogram and you will have a nice blower motor package. I prefer the Whipple, it makes more torque and looks better to. Whipple also has ECM programs for the reworked 496 with a blower, Pro-Charger does not. If you want to stay normally aspirated with one of our kits on your stock 496 we have a few Nordic 28 heat owners and mechanics we can let you talk to who run there boats with our kits and I believe there all in the mid and high seventies.
Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

I DIG IT !
08-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Thank you for the thoughts. I think I still have to do a little researach. but I cant thank everyone for all the Info

I DIG IT !
08-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Raylar I would love to talk to you more. I have heard good things about your product. how do i get ahold of you

htm56
08-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Just took delivery of my intercooled m-3 procharger. but I'm running a little more boost at 12 psi in a 540. My buddy has a 496 with a procharger and he did push a head gasket, rebuilt the motor last year and has been running great since has about 40 hours it without a problem. he's running in the mid 80's with a open bow HTM SR24, swears by the pyrometers. I went with the procharger for the simple fact that I did not want to alter the back hatch and have the super charger sticking through.

I DIG IT !
08-05-2007, 06:54 PM
well what did he do to rebuilt it ??? just new and improved head gaskets??? I like the procharger because its simple and easy. And it doesnt take up much space like you said. But i still dont know if its the best choice?? I just really like the bolt on hp.

htm56
08-05-2007, 07:05 PM
While he had it apart he replaced pistons, rods, and valves.

dirty old man
08-06-2007, 07:27 AM
I don't think that particular hull will handle much over 60/65 mph (safely)

blender over
08-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Ive got a m1 procharger on my 496 with 50hrs of trouble free running time.
Low to mid 80's on a carrera 257:)

Garrddogg
08-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Hey Ray hows your kit workin? any issues a potential customer should know about?
The three year warranty is on their supercharger, NOT on YOUR Motor!
I think we know a little about 496's both stock and reworked and I would never install a supercharger on a stock 496 engine. Rework your 496 with forged internals and a good supercharger and ECM reprogram and you will have a nice blower motor package. I prefer the Whipple, it makes more torque and looks better to. Whipple also has ECM programs for the reworked 496 with a blower, Pro-Charger does not. If you want to stay normally aspirated with one of our kits on your stock 496 we have a few Nordic 28 heat owners and mechanics we can let you talk to who run there boats with our kits and I believe there all in the mid and high seventies.
Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Wizard29
08-06-2007, 08:49 AM
I have a Procharger on my '03 496HO set up at 3.5 PSI and I love it. It has the intercooler and all. Never had any problems.
On Memorial Weekend I did crack a valve seat, and while we had the heads off, we noticed slight sharing going on between two cylinders, but not really a blown head gasket.
I did check into putting a 5 PSI pulley on it, but I had several people at performance shops tell me that isn't a good idea. Aparently at 3.5 PSI the computer can still make the required adjustments, but 5 PSI puts it out of its able range. That means remapping the computer, which seldom turns out the way it should. I was told the result is some cylinders run rich while other run lean and eventually the engine tears itself apart.
True or not, I decided not to chance it.
I'd highly recommend the 3.5 PSI setup with intercooler if you want a reliable power adder.
Another thing to consider is your engine compartment. A section had to be taken out of my floor for the ProCharger to fit since it sits on the lower end of the engine. You might want to evaluate that as well...

blender over
08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
I have a Procharger on my '03 496HO set up at 3.5 PSI and I love it. It has the intercooler and all. Never had any problems.
On Memorial Weekend I did crack a valve seat, and while we had the heads off, we noticed slight sharing going on between two cylinders, but not really a blown head gasket.
I did check into putting a 5 PSI pulley on it, but I had several people at performance shops tell me that isn't a good idea. Aparently at 3.5 PSI the computer can still make the required adjustments, but 5 PSI puts it out of its able range. That means remapping the computer, which seldom turns out the way it should. I was told the result is some cylinders run rich while other run lean and eventually the engine tears itself apart.
True or not, I decided not to chance it.
I'd highly recommend the 3.5 PSI setup with intercooler if you want a reliable power adder.
Another thing to consider is your engine compartment. A section had to be taken out of my floor for the ProCharger to fit since it sits on the lower end of the engine. You might want to evaluate that as well...
Yep

Raylar
08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
IDIGIT:
Our toll free number is (866) 496-8181. Call if you like and we can discuss your thoughts on how you want to upgrade your 496.
Garddog:
Boaters all over the globe have been installing and running our kits since 2003 and I can tell you the results have been consistent and reliable. The Raylar 103 kits in use now number over 300 on 496's and we have a lot of happy customers in that bunch! Many of them are right here on the HOT BOAT forums.
Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Run_em_Hard
08-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Another thing on top of not having to alter your hatch that is great about Procharger, Vortech, Paxton type chargers is they are easier on the drive getting out of the hole.

I DIG IT !
08-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Cool thanks for all the info. I think that if i do go procharger i will only go with 3.5. I mean its only like 30 or 25 hp. I really want to make it last too. But its really good to hear from people that already have this set up and seam to be very happy. I guess that when it comes down to it I really just dont want to blow a head gasket. If so it not a huge deal just a good little chore to fix

THOR
08-06-2007, 06:24 PM
How much HP with the 3.5 procharger on the 496 HO?

I DIG IT !
08-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I belive it gos from 425 to 590

Kachina26
08-15-2007, 12:02 AM
IDIGIT:
Our toll free number is (866) 496-8181. Call if you like and we can discuss your thoughts on how you want to upgrade your 496.
Garddog:
Boaters all over the globe have been installing and running our kits since 2003 and I can tell you the results have been consistent and reliable. The Raylar 103 kits in use now number over 300 on 496's and we have a lot of happy customers in that bunch! Many of them are right here on the HOT BOAT forums.
Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
The results are certainly consistent, reliable, well that's another story.

trawfish
08-15-2007, 07:33 AM
Don't know if you're much of a do it yourself kinda person, but heres my experience:
Watched e-bay, spam, craigs list and others for a deal.... Found a used 5psi kit for my 7.4 mpi (different motor and its a turd, but same concept) for $1700
Installing the kit is more trouble than it sounds like, as you will most likely have to fabricate something or modify existing hull, seat, cover or brackets.
Procharger manual is total joke,and customer service is even worse...
Dont forget guages like fuel pressure, boost, egt and air/fuel if you want... you will be drilling holes in your dash....
It should include an intercooler, so you will have to drill a water outlet in your hull either on the side, or out the back (maybe to piss on the drive for cooling)
All this being said, I love my Procharger so far.... I did not reflash my ecm, I did not change my injectors, and I have not replaced my head gaskets (yet) My boat is a 26" Commander that did 55 mph before with a 24p Bravo 1. I now do over 70mph with a 26p bravo 1 and I am still toying with the rev limiter, so more tuning to be done.
My favorite part is that performs kinda like a turbo.... it does not hit the low end hard, therefore I think it is kider to the drive.... I can cruise at 3500 rpm without even getting into the boost and I am cruising 15 mph faster than before. When I want it, it's there, and it comes on strong.
It does run rich at idle due to the computer staying in "cold" mode and does not like to jump out of the hole after cruising the channel, but does fine otherwise.
I have over 50 hours on it and have had zero probs so far.
NOTE: I will absolutely be replacing my cast internals with forged this winter if it makes it. I am scared to stay into the boost for long with the cast parts and I am frankly suprised it has lasted this long... I don't know what the 496 has for internals, but cast will not survive boost for long...
For the money spent I consider this a huge, reliable gain in hp...
Let me know if you have any other questions, I have done alot of research on this thing.
Steve

soupersonic
08-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Don't know if you're much of a do it yourself kinda person, but heres my experience:
Watched e-bay, spam, craigs list and others for a deal.... Found a used 5psi kit for my 7.4 mpi (different motor and its a turd, but same concept) for $1700
Installing the kit is more trouble than it sounds like, as you will most likely have to fabricate something or modify existing hull, seat, cover or brackets.
Procharger manual is total joke,and customer service is even worse...
Dont forget guages like fuel pressure, boost, egt and air/fuel if you want... you will be drilling holes in your dash....
It should include an intercooler, so you will have to drill a water outlet in your hull either on the side, or out the back (maybe to piss on the drive for cooling)
All this being said, I love my Procharger so far.... I did not reflash my ecm, I did not change my injectors, and I have not replaced my head gaskets (yet) My boat is a 26" Commander that did 55 mph before with a 24p Bravo 1. I now do over 70mph with a 26p bravo 1 and I am still toying with the rev limiter, so more tuning to be done.
My favorite part is that performs kinda like a turbo.... it does not hit the low end hard, therefore I think it is kider to the drive.... I can cruise at 3500 rpm without even getting into the boost and I am cruising 15 mph faster than before. When I want it, it's there, and it comes on strong.
It does run rich at idle due to the computer staying in "cold" mode and does not like to jump out of the hole after cruising the channel, but does fine otherwise.
I have over 50 hours on it and have had zero probs so far.
NOTE: I will absolutely be replacing my cast internals with forged this winter if it makes it. I am scared to stay into the boost for long with the cast parts and I am frankly suprised it has lasted this long... I don't know what the 496 has for internals, but cast will not survive boost for long...
For the money spent I consider this a huge, reliable gain in hp...
Let me know if you have any other questions, I have done alot of research on this thing.
Steve
We just had Badkachina's 454 on the dyno to reprogram the ECM. He has the Vortech charger on his and like the Procharger it doesnt make much boost at low rpm like Steve said. I think it made 2 pounds of boost at 3800 rpm. But it made 728 HP and 688 ft lbs of torque at 5200 rpm ,5 lbs of boost on pump gas. He has a stock bottom end and dart heads and his has lived for about 200 hrs. He would also be a good one to talk to.

Dave C
08-15-2007, 08:28 AM
IDIG,
Just an FYI, I did some research on the GEN 7 motor (i.e. 496). The internals are garbage and so are the heads and head gaskets.
Chevy cheaped out over the previous Gen 6 (i.e. 502) and went with cast bottom end, cheaper block and the heads don't fit right on the 496. The Gen 6(502) had forged everything, good heads and a siamesed block and was a good block to add a blower to. A buddy was looking at getting a 502 mag and adding a blower to that :devil:
However it seems that they have optimized the blowers now for use with a 496 but its on low boost. If you go with blower and the 496 be careful to follow the manufacturers recomendations and not increase the boost too much unless you are willing to upgrade the 496.
If you want to go ape-shit, you should consider selling the 496 and buying an aftermarket motor specifically built for a blower and putting a blower on that.

Beer-30
08-15-2007, 08:40 AM
The internals are great for 3.5 psi boost. Yeah, do head gaskets if you want, but at that conservative level you should be just fine.
The internals are really only junk when trying to run them over 600hp.

chase8
08-15-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm running the ProCharger M-3 with the AW504 Intercooler, on a 454 Magnum EFI/MPI. I haven't had it on the dyno but Procharger claims 650 hp at 5 psi. You can bump up to 7 psi with a pulley change which puts you over 700 hp. Mine has a few other mods, exhaust etc but nothing internal. I run a labbed 27p 4 blade, and it does over 80 mph at 4700ft. Great running set-up, been on the boat 4 seasons which are short here in Utah. One thing I don't like about the Procharger on my set-up is the Air Intake location. It is wedged right between the exhaust manifold and the valve cover. Basically it sucks hot air rolling off a hot engine. There isn't any room to add a filter or extension to get the air intake off the motor. Adding aftermarket exhaust is also a major deal requiring modification of the air intake bell etc. Overall it is a great bang for the buck.

Dave C
08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
The 454 mag is a good motor too just like the 502 mag. Forged internals, etc. Much different situation than the 496.
The 496 is a great motor for its intended purpose as stock or with mild performance upgrades. (like a Raylar :devil: )
If you want to go ape-shit with the 496, go elsewhere.

trawfish
08-15-2007, 04:04 PM
We just had Badkachina's 454 on the dyno to reprogram the ECM. He has the Vortech charger on his and like the Procharger it doesnt make much boost at low rpm like Steve said. I think it made 2 pounds of boost at 3800 rpm. But it made 728 HP and 688 ft lbs of torque at 5200 rpm ,5 lbs of boost on pump gas. He has a stock bottom end and dart heads and his has lived for about 200 hrs. He would also be a good one to talk to.
Hey, Who is "we" and where are you? I see your sigi says Mesa... Im in Mesa and might want to talk to you about the ecm reprogram and what not.
let me know,
Steve

Beer-30
08-15-2007, 04:23 PM
The 454 mag is a good motor too just like the 502 mag. Forged internals, etc. Much different situation than the 496.
The 496 is a great motor for its intended purpose as stock or with mild performance upgrades. (like a Raylar :devil: )
If you want to go ape-shit with the 496, go elsewhere.
Exactly. Well said. 525-580 is fine for stock bottom, with 580 being - in my opinion - the very limit for sane operation.

Boa1277
08-15-2007, 06:27 PM
I have ran a pro charger on my 383 crate motor in my Yukon for 4 yrs now. My original crate motor was a basic TBI motor you may have seen them advertised 350hp all basic internals SR Torker heads with Hyperreutectic pistons. I put a little over 45000 miles on this motor and they were hard miles. I was getting 9lbs of boost at about 5200rpm. I will still be running this setup but I burnt a hole in a piston because I advanced my timing and was pulling a motorcycle trailer over a high grade and punched it. Damn expensive punch. Here is the deal with a Pro Charger at the very minimum you need to run a electronic fuel pressure gauge and a manual boost gauge. You need to spend 250 bucks for a Innovate Wide Band O2 that will measure your AFRs. It also will data log for you so you can download your tuning runs and send the computer out to have it correctly tuned. These guys that are running these pro chargers without having the engine tuned are a accident waiting to happen. Shit why spend that kind of money for 3.5lbs of boost. I promise you wont be happy with 3.5lbs of boost you will barely notice it. My new 383 I went with Larry Peto to do it right. Scat Forged Crank, 4340 Forged H beam Rods, JE Extreme Dish Forged Pistons, Brodix Aluminum Heads, Cometic Head Gaskets, MSD Ignition, Headers and true dual exhaust, 8.2 Compression and I am in the process of upgrading my Pro Charger and plan on running 14lbs of boost on high octane and 10lbs of boost on 92 If you do decide to upgrade the head gaskets go with a Cometic Head gasket and you will fine, especially if you only run 5lbs of boost that 496 will handle 5lbs of boost as long as it is tuned all day long. 5lbs of boost is not that much...Good Luck

Beer-30
08-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I have ran a pro charger on my 383 crate motor in my Yukon for 4 yrs now. My original crate motor was a basic TBI motor you may have seen them advertised 350hp all basic internals SR Torker heads with Hyperreutectic pistons. I put a little over 45000 miles on this motor and they were hard miles. I was getting 9lbs of boost at about 5200rpm. I will still be running this setup but I burnt a hole in a piston because I advanced my timing and was pulling a motorcycle trailer over a high grade and punched it. Damn expensive punch. Here is the deal with a Pro Charger at the very minimum you need to run a electronic fuel pressure gauge and a manual boost gauge. You need to spend 250 bucks for a Innovate Wide Band O2 that will measure your AFRs. It also will data log for you so you can download your tuning runs and send the computer out to have it correctly tuned. These guys that are running these pro chargers without having the engine tuned are a accident waiting to happen. Shit why spend that kind of money for 3.5lbs of boost. I promise you wont be happy with 3.5lbs of boost you will barely notice it. My new 383 I went with Larry Peto to do it right. Scat Forged Crank, 4340 Forged H beam Rods, JE Extreme Dish Forged Pistons, Brodix Aluminum Heads, Cometic Head Gaskets, MSD Ignition, Headers and true dual exhaust, 8.2 Compression and I am in the process of upgrading my Pro Charger and plan on running 14lbs of boost on high octane and 10lbs of boost on 92 If you do decide to upgrade the head gaskets go with a Cometic Head gasket and you will fine, especially if you only run 5lbs of boost that 496 will handle 5lbs of boost as long as it is tuned all day long. 5lbs of boost is not that much...Good Luck
No no no. Apples to Oranges. It's pretty much impossible to compare a street motor to a boat motor.
When your vehicle is towing is the only time it is even close to comparable to the boat. Boat are under a load every time they are in gear. Even idling.
Plus, your vehicle is not intercooled. There is significantly more horsepower with 5 pounds of intercooled boost as compared to 5 pounds of non-cooled. Totally different animal.
There would be a very significant gain in hp with 3.5psi, intercooled.

Boa1277
08-15-2007, 08:10 PM
No no no. Apples to Oranges. It's pretty much impossible to compare a street motor to a boat motor.
When your vehicle is towing is the only time it is even close to comparable to the boat. Boat are under a load every time they are in gear. Even idling.
Plus, your vehicle is not intercooled. There is significantly more horsepower with 5 pounds of intercooled boost as compared to 5 pounds of non-cooled. Totally different animal.
There would be a very significant gain in hp with 3.5psi, intercooled.
No boost is boost, you may be correct with the load range of a boat compared to a vehicle but a motor is a motor. Boost works like this 1 atmosphere is 14.7 pounds of boost which means you double your HP on a engine running 9.1 compression. So figure it like this 7.5lbs of boost gives you 50% of your crank HP 3.75lbs of Boost gives you 25% of your crank HP. Intercooling does help with detonation and it will give a denser air charge. But the key to intercooling is you can run more timing advance without detonation that is why you think you get more HP from 3.5lbs of boost... I do have a intercooler I have a 3 core race Intercooler....and if you notice in my previous statement look at the parts in my motor and who built my motor Larry Peto (Larry's Engine and Marine) I am pretty sure my motor can handle any boat application. Remember we are talking about centrifugal superchargers here, there is a big difference between a roots style or screw style supercharger. 5lbs of boost from a whipple charger is all torque based boost, 5lbs of boost on a centrifugal superchager is only made at the upper RPM range unless you are running a small pulley then you may see 5lbs sooner but you sure as hell will see alot more at higher RPMs

soupersonic
08-15-2007, 08:17 PM
No boost is boost, you may be correct with the load range of a boat compared to a vehicle but a motor is a motor. Boost works like this 1 atmosphere is 14.7 pounds of boost which means you double your HP on a engine running 9.1 compression. So figure it like this 7.5lbs of boost gives you 50% of your crank HP 3.75lbs of Boost gives you 25% of your crank HP. Intercooling does help with detonation and it will give a denser air charge. But the key to intercooling is you can run more timing advance without detonation that is why you think you get more HP from 3.5lbs of boost...Oh by the way I do have a intercooler I have a 3 core race Intercooler....and if you notice in my previous statement look at the parts in my motor and who built my motor Larry Peto (Larry's Engine and Marine) I am pretty sure my motor can handle any boat application.
I know Larry's reputation speaks for itself, but theres is a difference between an automobile motor and a boat motor. Ill bet even Larry would tell you not to put it in a boat. BTW did you have this motor done recently in the last couple months? I think i was there when he dynoed it. Are you using the ingenious ?

Boa1277
08-15-2007, 08:34 PM
I know Larry's reputation speaks for itself, but theres is a difference between an automobile motor and a boat motor. Ill bet even Larry would tell you not to put it in a boat. BTW did you have this motor done recently in the last couple months? I think i was there when he dynoed it. Are you using the ingenious ?
Yes there is a difference in a boat motor I do agree, but parts are parts. Larry built my 460 and it diddnt have near the quality of parts in it as my 383.
When Larry builds a boat motor he looks at Oil capacity cam profile stainless exhaust valves stuff like that. When he builds a High Performance application he uses good parts now I know my forged crank, rods, and pistons are good but they sure as hell arent billet so there is a big difference but you also pay for those parts when you talk about that level you are talking about 30,000 dollars or more. The basic Mercruiser HO does not have the parts my little street motor has much less a serious High Performance application. I have seen many many motors Larry has built for marine application and if it is your basic boat motor 400hp or less it probably doesnt have as good of parts as my 383. Yes he just built it a little bit less than 2 months ago. Actually he couldn't dyno this motor since I diddnt have the computer harness to hook it up. I really wish I could have done it that way I still think I may change out the fuel system if that happens I will have Larry tune it on the Dyno for me.

Dave C
08-16-2007, 09:18 AM
LOL for the 496 they removed the chevy truck sticker and replaced it with a mercruiser sticker.... Viola.. now its a boat motor. LOL:D ;) :devil:

Beer-30
08-16-2007, 11:07 AM
LOL for the 496 they removed the chevy truck sticker and replaced it with a mercruiser sticker.... Viola.. now its a boat motor. LOL:D ;) :devil:
Now, that's not true. They also changed the cam! :D :D :D

Dave C
08-16-2007, 11:26 AM
my bad ... a cam is worth at least $3,000... right :) :eek:
Now, that's not true. They also changed the cam! :D :D :D

2manymustangs
08-16-2007, 12:02 PM
The only experience I had with Prochargers was not "all that". THe belt/pully's were either 10 or 12 rib polly V design (standard auto serpantine style). Getting the belt to stay on and not slip was a real job. Everything was aligned perfectly and if the belt wasn't banjo tight it would come off under max boost. Can't remember the pully diameters / overdrive but I believe we were seeing 7psi of boost at St Louis altitude.
With all that being said the thing worked well and after a cam swap (more lift, less duration) the 30' Profile hull went 83 mph on GPS. This was a intercooled carbed engine. We did loose a few pairs of head gaskets before it was reliable.
My understanding is that the Paxton Novi 2000 is the $hit. I would research their stuff.

Reapers
08-16-2007, 09:28 PM
I have 2 M-5 sc w/ intercooler on 575 ci BBC and they are everything someone would want in a boat. I have installed on on a bone stock 496 at 3.5 pounds and it netted 16 mph. Mine is run at 21# and is perfect for skiing, cruising or hauling a??. Easy on drives, tows other boat perfectly. Tobi