PDA

View Full Version : Young Girl Dead At Topac???

uLtRADeNniS
08-05-2007, 07:52 PM
I was at Topac bar around 5pm yesterday. ...
All of a sudden the whole bar gets quite and everyone is looking over the balcony. So two boats pull up. A cat deck boat with a sponson missing. And a 21' open bow(looked to be in tact).
The smaller boat pulls up to the gas dock, the people get out and lay a 6-8 yr old girl down on the dock. She is just pouring out excessive amounts of blood form her arm. Some say they saw a bone sticking out. From that point she appeared to be dead. They tried performing CPR on the girl on the dock and she was shooting blood out of her mouth. All of our hearts sunk when the other kids were brought up to the bar cyring and as people on the dock where in tears too. We poured out our drinks and left back up river. That had to be the worst thing I ever saw.
Does anyone know what happened? Or if she survived?

ratso
08-05-2007, 07:53 PM
That effin sucks...:(

ultra26shadow
08-05-2007, 07:54 PM
man thats rough I saw the same thing happen last year at the channel prayers to the family I left and poured out my drink as well when I saw that

Baja Big Dog
08-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Not good...Not good

Jyruiz
08-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Just terrible, prayers go out.

termiteguy
08-05-2007, 07:58 PM
you just took thr wind out of my sail to night i hope all goes well for all involved hate to hear about kids being involved:o:( :(

RitcheyRch
08-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Very sad

bullseye
08-05-2007, 07:59 PM
she was 8 yrs old and no she did not make it .very sad very traggic

KineticoH20
08-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Tragic, we all need to remember how important it is to watch our kids and others. It is too easy to get distracted on the lake. Prayers to the family. I have a 9yr old girl and couldn't imagine the horror of that.

termiteguy
08-05-2007, 08:01 PM
what happened?

ratso
08-05-2007, 08:01 PM
What the hell happened?:jawdrop:

73kona455
08-05-2007, 08:02 PM
thats sooo sad

Ultracrazy
God bless her and her family..........:(

SummerBreeze
Sorry to hear
does anyone know what happened?

uLtRADeNniS
08-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Seeing that really really put all of us down. All of our moods changed for the rest of the day as if it happened to our family or friends. I stopped a few miles up and prayed for the girl and her family.
I always hear of stories like this but seeing one first hand is completely diiferent. Especially when its a little girl.
I picked up a newspaper at Arco on the way outta town but there was nothing about it written.

USCFAN
08-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I can not imagine anything like that happening to one of my children. My prayers will defintely be with the family.

DSW
08-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Prayers to the family. RIP. Sad to see such a young child die while out on the lake. I know we see multiple deaths on the lake and river every year but I never get used to hearing about it. This lake is getting way too dangerous.:(

INSman
08-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Maybe it is just me, but it seems as if these stories are becoming painfully more frequent and is part of the reason I hang out by the pool in my backyard while visiting Havasu in lieu of putting the boat on the water and risking the lives of my family and friends.
I am seeing more and more focktards on the water these days, from pontoon rentals to boats and lake lice driving on the wong side of the waterway without regard to oncoming traffic and such.
Sure hope this trend starts to reverse itself here soon ... :(

djunkie
08-05-2007, 08:10 PM
This is terrible. Sounds like this was a bad weekend there. Lots of bad things happening. Prayers to the family. I couldn't imagine having to go through something like that. :( :(

shippingguy
08-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Very sad to hear things like this. My prayers go out to the little girl and her family and friends. RIP:(
Mike

EAZYKILLER2006
08-05-2007, 08:15 PM
oh my gosh
terrible news
prayers to all involved

shadow
08-05-2007, 08:15 PM
So sad!:( I'd trade my life in a second for any child.

Ultracrazy
08-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Well said.......

Phat Matt
08-05-2007, 08:16 PM
wow. :(

PaPaG
08-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Super sad to hear, Breaks my heart, poor little girl...Prayer to the family :(

Mandelon
08-05-2007, 08:17 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

uLtRADeNniS
08-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Maybe it is just me, but it seems as if these stories are becoming painfully more frequent and is part of the reason I hang out by the pool in my backyard while visiting Havasu in lieu of putting the boat on the water and risking the lives of my family and friends.
I am seeing more and more focktards on the water these days, from pontoon rentals to boats and lake lice driving on the wong side of the waterway without regard to oncoming traffic and such.
Sure hope this trend starts to reverse itself here soon ... :(
I cant agree more.
I was doing about 80 a little past Needles at 6pm friday. There where no boats on the water. Out of nowhere I see a guy swimming across the river with no vest. If I wouldnt have been lucky enough to see him I would have ran him over and killed him. I asked if he was ok and why he was even out there. He said just for fun...I almost called him an idot, but instead I just said to be carefull and took off. Then about 7 miles up river an old man in a boat pulls right in front of me and shut his boat off. I came 15ft from him. There are alot of idiots out there that are causing these accidents. Thats why I strongly believe that you can not drink and boat. You need to have you head on 100% to avoid accidents that may not be your fault.

RaceFace
08-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Ditto. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

Throttle
08-05-2007, 08:25 PM
this is sooo sad... thoughts and prayers...
I agree with shadow...

Hustler
08-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I was told the girl was 10 and she did not make it. our prayers go out to her parents and family. I was told the little girls family was not at the river with her, she was there with friends.:(

Phat Matt
08-05-2007, 08:32 PM
I was told the girl was 10 and she did not make it. our prayers go out to her parents and family. I was told the little girls family was not at the river with her, she was there with friends.:(
That's going to make it tough for both sides.

Glamasu
08-05-2007, 08:32 PM
It just gets worse...How would you tell the parents.....I couldn't imagine the heartbreak happening in their household....

JetBoatRich
08-05-2007, 08:33 PM
very sad news:mad:

jbtrailerjim
08-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Man, that is so sad. As a parent of two children (4 & 6) I just can't imagine the pain this little girls parents must be going through. May god bless them through this tough time. :(

life's a river
08-05-2007, 08:34 PM
:( Thoughts and prayers to the family.
These things should not happen!
LAR

thatguy
08-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Jesus, i can not imagine that kind of grief. Kids, of all people, never should have bad things happen to them. Can there possibly be a worse heartbreak? Surely not.
All this squabbling and bantering we do here pales to insignificance rather quickly. God bless you sweetheart.

Baja Big Dog
08-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Jesus, i can not imagine that kind of grief. Kids, of all people, never should have bad things happen to them. Can there possibly be a worse heartbreak? Surely not.
All this squabbling and bantering we do here pales to insignificance rather quickly. God bless you sweetheart.
Amen...:(

uLtRADeNniS
08-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Were you told what happened?

CBadDad
08-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Hate to hear this kind of stuff.
Too sad.
No words can ever express the pain that family must be feelin'

BadKachina
08-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Threads like this always manage to put it all back into perspective........
RIP little one.:(

BobbyB
08-05-2007, 09:05 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
me too

73kona455
08-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Rest in peace little lady:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Hustler
08-05-2007, 09:07 PM
I dont know the details of the accident but I was told one of the drivers was an extreme dui:mad:
All day long I have done nothing but think about this. I cant imagine having to make that call to the parents and I cant even think about being on the recieving end of that call. This is all just way to sad.
From Parker to Needles is way to busy any more on the weekends and some people just seem to drive there boats and ride there jet ski's with blinders on. I almost hit 2 jet ski's this weeknd and mean by about a couple feet all because they didn't care what was around them, just crank the bars and turn:eek: Also had few idiots pulling tubers that dont care that there in traffic and people are to get around them. Just keep wiping those kids around on the tube buddy every one will figure a way to get by.:rolleyes:
By the way nice to meet you yesterday Dennis.

H20Advantage
08-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Very Sad: http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2007/08/06/news/news03.txt
An 8-year-old Temecula, Calif. girl died in a two-boat collision on the Colorado River Saturday.
“The collision occurred about one-half mile south of the Interstate 40 Bridge, at about 5:50 p.m.,” said San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Cindy Beavers.
The unidentified girl suffered severe injuries to the head as well as a compound fracture of the left arm. She was transported to Valley View Hospital in Ft. Mohave where she was pronounced dead at 8:30 p.m.
Four others were injured in the crash. A 13-year-old girl from Yucaipa, Calif., suffered injuries to her mouth, and a person identified as Michael Brandon, 47, sustained injuries to the head and chest. They were transported to Valley View Hospital before being transferred to Las Vegas area hospitals.
“It did not sound that their injuries were life threatening,” Beavers said.
Beavers said the deceased girl was riding on a “deck styled boat” and two others aboard suffered minor injuries as a result of the crash. They were both were transported to Colorado River Medical Center in Needles. The nature of their injuries was not disclosed.
Brandon and the 13-year-old girl were riding on a boat Beavers described as a V-hull with an open bow. Two others - a woman and child - were sitting in the bow of the second boat at the time of the crash and were both ejected into the water. However, neither the woman nor child suffered any injuries from the accident.
Cause of the collision is under investigation. Alcohol is believed to be a factor.
It's the third fatality to occur on the Colorado River between Topock and the Parker Dam this year.
Lloyd Richard Rowland, 22, of Fullerton, Calif. died July 21 while swimming off Windsor Beach at Lake Havasu State Park. Cause of death was listed as drowning.
Jeremy Conklin, 21, of Selah, Wash. died July 7 when the boat he was riding in flipped during a sharp turn. That incident occurred about a mile from Windsor Beach.
Last week a 41-year-old Lake Havasu City man awoke after a week-long coma following a near drowning at Havasu Springs.

uLtRADeNniS
08-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I dont know the details of the accident but I was told one of the drivers was an extreme dui:mad:
All day long I have done nothing but think about this. I cant imagine having to make that call to the parents and I cant even think about being on the recieving end of that call. This is all just way to sad.
From Parker to Needles is way to busy any more on the weekends and some people just seem to drive there boats and ride there jet ski's with blinders on. I almost hit 2 jet ski's this weeknd and mean by about a couple feet all because they didn't care what was around them, just crank the bars and turn:eek: Also had few idiots pulling tubers that dont care that there in traffic and people are to get around them. Just keep wiping those kids around on the tube buddy every one will figure a way to get by.:rolleyes:
By the way nice to meet you yesterday Dennis.
Nice to meet you too!
Im sure Boatcop will be here in the am with the story.

MBlaster
08-05-2007, 09:37 PM
I hate opening up these threads.:(
RIP Little Angel.

Baja Big Dog
08-05-2007, 09:42 PM
An 8-year-old Temecula, Calif. girl died in a two-boat collision on the Colorado River Saturday.
“The collision occurred about one-half mile south of the Interstate 40 Bridge, at about 5:50 p.m.,” said San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Cindy Beavers.
The unidentified girl suffered severe injuries to the head as well as a compound fracture of the left arm. She was transported to Valley View Hospital in Ft. Mohave where she was pronounced dead at 8:30 p.m.
Four others were injured in the crash. A 13-year-old girl from Yucaipa, Calif., suffered injuries to her mouth, and a person identified as Michael Brandon, 47, sustained injuries to the head and chest. They were transported to Valley View Hospital before being transferred to Las Vegas area hospitals.
Beavers said the deceased girl was riding on a “deck styled boat” and two others aboard suffered minor injuries as a result of the crash. They were both were transported to Colorado River Medical Center in Needles. The nature of their injuries was not disclosed.
Brandon and the 13-year-old girl were riding on a boat Beavers described as a V-hull with an open bow. Two others - a woman and child - were sitting in the bow of the second boat at the time of the crash and were both ejected into the water. However, neither the woman nor child suffered any injuries from the accident.
Cause of the collision is under investigation. Alcohol is believed to be a factor.
It's the third fatality to occur on the Colorado River between Topock and the Parker Dam this year.
Lloyd Richard Rowland, 22, of Fullerton, Calif. died July 21 while swimming off Windsor Beach at Lake Havasu State Park. Cause of death was listed as drowning.
Jeremy Conklin, 21, of Selah, Wash. died July 7 when the boat he was riding in flipped during a sharp turn. That incident occurred about a mile from Windsor Beach.
Last week a 41-year-old Lake Havasu City man awoke after a week-long coma following a near drowning at Havasu Springs.
:mad:

Totally IncapASSitated
08-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Horrible...have to say that this one brought me to tears :( :( :(
Definitely tired of hearing about tragedies like this!!!!
"Alcohol is believed to be a factor"...someone's VERY poor decision to drink and drive just cost this little girl her life....
RIP Little Angel

shrek
08-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Very tragic, indeed.
Just seeing that would ruin our weekend, and probably cause us to put it on the trailer.
Godspeed to you, little girl.
When are people going to learn that you just cannot drink and boat? I can honestly say that I do not drink and boat.........nor do the people that I boat with.
I wish there was something we as a boating community could do to stop this terrible trend..........other than to stop it ourselves, and to educate our friends to stop also.
Shrek

Old school Ultra
08-05-2007, 10:35 PM
This is just awful, I just went into my kids (3&6) rooms, and tucked them in and watched them sleep for a minute and thought about the poor family of this Innocent little girl.....Coudnt imagine waking up without them!!!
Just frickin awful!

OverKill
08-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Why can't people just drink ice cold water while boating, then drink tell they drown when they get home. WTF WTF WTF. Where does it end?? Thanks guys for hearing me rant on and on.
God bless you little one. You are in safe hands nows.
In Christ's Love OverKill

BigBoyBlue
08-05-2007, 10:52 PM
very sad RIP young one. I hate hearing stories like this, especially from such a young life.

BILLY.B
08-05-2007, 11:04 PM
First off my heart and prayers go out ot the girls family and to the family that had her with them this weekend at the river. I had just left the I-40 area around the time of the accident while looking for a stranded boater south of the interstate and did not see the accident take place but it became apparent that something had happened when reports were coming over the Vessel Assist radio. I have to say that since doing this job (Vessel Assist) over the summer I have a whole new perspective of the type of people that boat on these water ways. Inconsiderate of others comes to mind real fast. I also heard that the guy was well over the limit. Now you would of thought that someone who was with this guy would of seen this and drove the boat for him. SENSELESS!!!! is all I can say. When did the boating world change?.....I don't think I like the new boating world too much at all :( RIP little one!!!

uLtRADeNniS
08-05-2007, 11:22 PM
First off my heart and prayers go out ot the girls family and to the family that had her with them this weekend at the river. I had just left the I-40 area around the time of the accident while looking for a stranded boater south of the interstate and did not see the accident take place but it became apparent that something had happened when reports were coming over the Vessel Assist radio. I have to say that since doing this job (Vessel Assist) over the summer I have a whole new perspective of the type of people that boat on these water ways. Inconsiderate of others comes to mind real fast. I also heard that the guy was well over the limit. Now you would of thought that someone who was with this guy would of seen this and drove the boat for him. SENSELESS!!!! is all I can say. When did the boating world change?.....I don't think I like the new boating world too much at all :( RIP little one!!!
Me either. It is defiantly not the way i remember it 10 years ago. I even look back to how much safer the water was when I was this girls age. I'm afraid to see how the river will be when I have children of my own on the water.
Do any of you remember back when you where shocked if you heard of death let alone an accident on the river? Now it comes as no surprise because theres so many of them a year. Boaters MUST stop drinking and really learn how to operate their boat. I guess you can sum those up into being responsible.
It really cracks me up that just anyone can go buy a high performance boat with no boating experience and be out on the busy river the next day with a beer in their hand and all their kids in the boat. The result of boater being unexperienced and DUI are the 2 factors ruining our recreation and endangering the lives of us, our friends and families.
Ive tried lying in bed and falling asleep 2 times now. I cant that picture of what I saw yesterday out of my head.

Rexone
08-05-2007, 11:33 PM
I also heard that the guy was well over the limit. Now you would of thought that someone who was with this guy would of seen this and drove the boat for him. SENSELESS!!!! is all I can say. When did the boating world change?.....I don't think I like the new boating world too much at all :( RIP little one!!!
God Bless the little girl and her family. Every season we seem to have increasing incidents of this type, at least in the local crowded areas.
Billy I don't like it either. Based on current trends, stupidity, BUI's, arrogant and ignorant boaters and pwc'ers, gang bangers, I really don't see performance boating as we know (or knew) it surviving even another decade, perhaps much less, at least at the more crowded waterways such as havasu and the entire strip from Mohave to Parker for that matter. I'm sure there are many other parts of the country that fit the same scenario. The actions of a few will force legislation that will end anything resembling performance boating of past years except perhaps outlying venues, off season, etc. I know personally I do little if any summer boating any more due to all of the above. Have no desire to deal with all of that or risk running over someone due the chaos out there. The conditions that now exist for a large part are just not fun any more at least on any summer weekend.

DSW
08-05-2007, 11:34 PM
I hope they hang this fu*K out to dry. I wonder which state he will be charged in? When will people learn. At this point I'd actually like to see alcolhol banned on the river completly. I think we would not have all these drunk assholes out causing all the "near misses" we always read about here, along with the tragic accidents that do occur all to often here also.:mad:
If you want to drink. Go the FU*K home, or out to a bar. It's a bad idea to take a bunch of friends out drinking in a car so why is a boat different? A young life has been extinguished cause some FU*K could'nt wait to get shitfaced in a proper setting.

HPBoats83
08-05-2007, 11:49 PM
This thread just reinforces the reason I have NEVER had a sip of alcohol anywhere. I am ALWAYS the designated driver, like this weekend we were up in the area between topoc and needles. I get so fockin angry when I read these posts because it's just absolute bullshit!
Designated Driver

phebus
08-05-2007, 11:51 PM
I just came home from a great night out with some great friends, and logged on and read the oldest threads on up to the newest. I was enjoying all the reading, but unfortunately ending with this. I feel sick now. I have seen way too much tragedy in my life, and this just brings it all back.
Why can't people just act responsibly? :mad:

Outnumbered
08-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Tragic...I could not imagine. This is one of the reasons I always seek out the remote areas to boat now. It reminds me of boating 20+ years ago on the river when I go to South Cove on Mead or Halls Crossing on Powell. When you have kids you change your whole perspective and priorities on life.
So sad:( May she rest in peace.

Ivan Dan
08-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Why can't people just drink ice cold water while boating, then drink tell they drown when they get home. WTF WTF WTF. Where does it end?? Thanks guys for hearing me rant on and on.
God bless you little one. You are in safe hands nows.
In Christ's Love OverKill
This is EXACTLY what I do when I put my boat on the water. People often ask me why I don't just have a couple beers. We all know what a couple turns into and next thing you know I'm driving the boat when I shouldn't be. I just won't put the passengers of my boat in jeapordy like that. Over the 4th of July week I had about 4 close calls and 1 of them was SOOOO close that my passengers could have reached out and smacked the driver of the other boat. If I would have been the least bit impaired we would have crashed for sure. I was stone cold sober as I always am when I drive my boat and luckily for me, my passengers and the 10 or so idiots on the other boat that never even looked or saw me before they turned right in front of me I was paying attention and avoided the collision.
I agree with above statements thats its getting to the point where boating on the weekend in Lake Havasu is just not fun anymore.
Godspeed to the little girl and thoughts and prayers to all parties involved. I defintely could not imagine making that phone call or even worse getting that phone call.

skygod73
08-06-2007, 12:00 AM
My heart is breaking right now, I learned from my wife that this little girl may be a member of our church. I don't know much but I believe her mother is in critical condition. I will try to find out more.

jbone
08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
I just printed the above news article and will keep a copy on my boat in a ziploc bag to make sure it stays readable. Anytime I see a boater around me start drinking, I will break it out and ask them to read it. Even the most avid drinker may think twice after that.
This goes for myself. I have had a few on the sandbar over the course of the whole day. But no more! I pledge to never drink on the water again.
This incident hits me hard. I have two little girls, 5 and 6. I can't even imagine this happening.
This is yet another reason I prefer the lower river. It just seams safer for the family.
May God be with you little princess.
J

Mattman
08-06-2007, 12:19 AM
R.I.P little angel...:(

shueman
08-06-2007, 12:51 AM
.... I have to say that since doing this job (Vessel Assist) over the summer I have a whole new perspective of the type of people that boat on these water ways. Inconsiderate of others comes to mind real fast....
Props to you for giving of your time. Might do others some good to take on such a challenge. It's a very different view for sure... :(

02HoWaRd26
08-06-2007, 01:02 AM
That is absolutely awefull, so sad to see anyone pass out there yet alone and innocent young baby. as said God bless her and her family.

Jbb
08-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Just horrible.......:(

OGShocker
08-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of those involved in this horrible incident. I cannot imagine the pain which has been let loose on them. I read this thread lastnight and it effected me so much, I had to wait for this morning before I could post a response.
Mark

DEMOMAN
08-06-2007, 04:17 AM
Thoughts and prayers to all involved:(

Riveratz
08-06-2007, 04:57 AM
Yes indeed very very sad. Not what I wanted to hear this morning.
Prayers to all involved..
Just another reason why I do not like running the river on Saturdays. I have a 3 year old and he means the whole world to me.

98 Vector 21
08-06-2007, 05:33 AM
Never like to read these stories....We were coming back from Topock 3ish yesterday, there was a small runabout style boat towing a couple of kid on a tube in front of the Sanbar!

Garrddogg
08-06-2007, 05:46 AM
This is a terrible thread to read. Its just absolutly heart wrenching to think that a child has died because of someones inability to not drink while driving.. reading this thread accually brought a tear to my eye.
my prayers go out to her and her family
And if its true about the dui for the driver, I hope he looses EVERY FUKCING THING HE HAS, and does a shitload of time.
just goes to show a bad decision and a loss of some control can have life changing consequences for all involved!
Gary
aka Garrddogg
RIP..

GHT
08-06-2007, 05:48 AM
God Bless the little girl and her family. Every season we seem to have increasing incidents of this type, at least in the local crowded areas.
Billy I don't like it either. Based on current trends, stupidity, BUI's, arrogant and ignorant boaters and pwc'ers, gang bangers, I really don't see performance boating as we know (or knew) it surviving even another decade, perhaps much less, at least at the more crowded waterways such as havasu and the entire strip from Mohave to Parker for that matter. I'm sure there are many other parts of the country that fit the same scenario. The actions of a few will force legislation that will end anything resembling performance boating of past years except perhaps outlying venues, off season, etc. I know personally I do little if any summer boating any more due to all of the above. Have no desire to deal with all of that or risk running over someone due the chaos out there. The conditions that now exist for a large part are just not fun any more at least on any summer weekend.
As we all know this is just heart breaking and my thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this Tragedy!
There are many things that will change "boating as we know it" and these types of senseless accidents are one of the factors. It is an "evolution" of boating that we all hate to see but there will be checks put in place and more stringent laws soon. We all wonder why "Big Brother" has to get so involved with our day to day life? Well, this is why!! So F'ing many people act like irresponsible FOCKS.. Why don't they make everyone have a license to drive and attend classes? Stiffer jail time for BUI? Very few people know as many laws for boating as a majority of the people on the boards.
I'm done... God Bless... All of us should turn people in that are BUI prior to something like this happening.

BoatPI
08-06-2007, 05:58 AM
I have investigated insurance claims involving the death of a 5 year old. Very sad, and like many boating incidents, PREVENTABLE.
Having water skied at Havasu since 1974, three years ago I decided to NOT boat on the lake from Friday-Sunday. What a shame, the lake and river, such a perfect playground. Ruined in many ways by jackasses, egos, boats going 100 MPH in a crowded area, inexperience, inattention, and DUI/OUI.
So a few years back I purchased a house on the south side with a large pool. Now I spend those three days a week when I am in town at my safe pool. I gave up alot of great friends and experiences for the long term...MY LIFE! Nothing in life is forever, but I believe that my chances of surving, along with my family has increased greatly.
Just ask yourself, when has tragedy struck from Monday-Thursday on the lake or river.
The suggestion that we all clip the newspaper article and give a copy to everyone we seek drinking on the lake is not a bad idea. Many good indeas begin here on HB, perhaps this is one of the best.

DILLIGAF
08-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Sad to read that such a young life was lost. This weekend I had my 16 yo nephew on the boat with me and had a couple of beers. I let him drive and he enjoyed it a lot. There is just getting to be too much traffic on the waterways these days. I have been guilty in the past of driving probably when I shouldn't have but have become MUCH more aware. My son Trump Tight is now driving his own boat and he understands the ramifications of OUI. It makes me proud to say that he is VERY aware of not driving while drinking. I like to think that I have passed on some good advice and responsible parenting to him as well as him having his own family now.
I always drive my boat just like I ride my Harley...extremely defensive. Only way to be.
Maybe it is just from getting old while appreciating what I have and so forth. Please try to use a DD peeps.
RIP

Beer-30
08-06-2007, 06:08 AM
Why don't they make everyone have a license to drive and attend classes? Very few people know as many laws for boating as a majority of the people on the boards.
I think this will be the first reality. It will start somewhere, and I think this will be the beginning. It'll either be required for licensing the boat or spot-checks at the ramp(s) or something.
There are several stories like this that AREN'T alcohol/drug related. That is the scary part. There are just so many people (on the roads, too!) that just don't know how to drive. They don't pay attention to everything going on around them. They just push the stick(s) forward and think that everyone will stay clear of them.
Whether floating or under way, I am continuously aware of what is going on 360-degrees around my boat. Who's coming, who's going, who has a flag up, who is broke down, whatever.
That is the basic deal of keeping your equipment and passengers alive and in working order.
UI or not, there are some really bad drivers out there.

hot_diggity_dog
08-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Very sad :(
Thoughts and prayers to all involved
RIP little one
I'm speechless:( :cry: :cry:
HDD:(

OutCole'd
08-06-2007, 06:24 AM
:( :( :(
This is such sad news! RIP little girl, you did not deserve this.
Another reason I no longer drink while I boat.

Cheaper To Keep Him
08-06-2007, 06:25 AM
R.I.P. Thoughts And Prayers out To The Familys Involved

Miss Perfect
08-06-2007, 06:29 AM
:( RIP lil one.

Sherpa
08-06-2007, 06:32 AM
waay to young..........
prayers for the parents, and all involved........ as for the dude responsible....
--Sherpa

BILLY.B
08-06-2007, 06:33 AM
I have investigated insurance claims involving the death of a 5 year old. Very sad, and like many boating incidents, PREVENTABLE.
The suggestion that we all clip the newspaper article and give a copy to everyone we seek drinking on the lake is not a bad idea. Many good indeas begin here on HB, perhaps this is one of the best.You know what is also really sad here?. It takes a senseless accident like this to bring this to people's attention. Now I don't mean to the responsible person's attention but to the JACK OFF that goes to the river or lake, pounds a ton of alcohol and then thinks it's a kick to drive back to port. It's all fun & games until something way wrong happens. And guess what?. Even if it's not directly your fault and you've had 1 beer you could be screwed. As far as getting the book thrown at this guy and everything taken away from him......:rolleyes: Hang out in your rocking chair for that to happen. I personally watched a deal go down like this and it don't happen like that at all. A slap on the wrist, minimal jail time, alittle probation ( no drinking while on the water for whatever time the judge hands out) and your good to go. Very small price to pay for taking a life. Meanwhile the family of this precious little girl ( I heard (rumor) that it was her birthday and her 1st trip out to the river) will never be the same. Nor will this guy & his family that caused this to happen. I like Rexone had quit taking my family to the river during the summer for more then this reason but this one is at the top of the list. And now like I said before, floating out on the water or just boating back & forth doing the Vessel Assit thing every weekend it has become way worse then when I made that decision. And this past weekend for whatever reason was just off the chart with STUPIDITY!!!!!. Get a clue people or stay the phuck home!!!:mad:

parker guy
08-06-2007, 06:42 AM
This is very sad news. Rest in piece.

voodoomedman
08-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Absolutely ridiculous and heartwrenching. I could not imagine. It hurts me to see my kids get a bruise. My heart and prayers go out to the family of the little girl. Having to drive 4 hours to deal with this garbage is one of the reasons we are planning to move and get the hell out of here.

AZJD
08-06-2007, 07:02 AM
RIP little one.......:(

rmarion
08-06-2007, 07:11 AM
RIP Little one..................:(
Boating is an enjoyment.....
mix in achohol = Boating is Dangerous....
GET A CLUE PEOPLE,
2005, Alcohol plays a role in 50 percent of all boating accidents, according to BOAT US.

THOR
08-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Rip :(

stoker_sst
08-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Unbelievable that these types of accident are happening. I have 2 boys 6 and 11 and can not imagine having to deal with something like this. I have been going to Havasu for 25 years and can not believe how things have changed. When I here about thing like this happening, it make me think about sell everything and being done with the river.

yopengo
08-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Thoughts and prayers to all involved. My little girl will be eight in two weeks. I could not even imagine this. Very sad.
"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.
T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.
Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.
The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.
When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.
"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.
R.I.P. little one.

Mrs.Racer277
08-06-2007, 07:32 AM
RIP lil one :(

HOOTER SLED-
08-06-2007, 07:35 AM
This is sooo horrible. Something I worry about when my youngsters are on the boat. Makes you not wanna boat at all. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( RIP lil one.

Taylor923
08-06-2007, 07:50 AM
That is just horrible. My little girl is 8 and I could not imagine losing her. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

westair
08-06-2007, 07:53 AM
There have been a few deaths over the years but this hits me the hardest,
so young and innocent, and the parents, what can you possibly say to them.
Since I have a flexible schedule, its going to be boating during the weekdays
only when my kids are with me!! Besides is it really relaxing on the weekends
with the crowds, drunks, launch ramp idiots, etc.

slingingsmoke
08-06-2007, 07:55 AM
an absolute trajety. I will never walk that dock without praying for the Lord to provide continuous comfort for that little girls family.

uLtRADeNniS
08-06-2007, 07:57 AM
I cant imagine what that family is going through right now? I wonder if the friendship between the two families will be over.
I didnt get to sleep til around 2am last night. I woke up from nightmares throughout the night. I keep picturing the scene I witnessed saturday.
RIP little angel.

C-2
08-06-2007, 08:06 AM
This literally breaks my heart, RIP little one.
It was for reasons such as this that I quit drinking altogether. It also reaffirms my fears that any visit to the river can turn south, even sober.
I come from the oldschool club where a trip to the river meant complete inebriation from Desert Center and back, no pauses in between. Thru message boards like HB and others, I quickly realized what I was doing was wrong and very stupid; and how lucky I was to have done that for years without hurting anybody (thank god).
I initially scaled things back, but after having my first child at the age of 36 – I soon realized how selfish, stupid and immature not being able to say “no” is. So I said screw it, no more booze period, and guess what – it wasn’t hard at all. And I sure don’t miss the hangovers.
So for all you guys out there who think they can’t have a good time without having a few – grow the fawk up. You can, it’s not that hard.

mrs_rvr6pac
08-06-2007, 08:12 AM
When are people going to learn? Do these people who drink and boat not read these horror stories? What is it going to take? I too have 2 kids (7 & 9) who love the lake. But like others have said on this thread - these stories are too frequent. Just sad. My thoughts are with that poor family - I can't even imagine!

Glamasu
08-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Unbelievable that these types of accident are happening. I have 2 boys 6 and 11 and can not imagine having to deal with something like this. I have been going to Havasu for 25 years and can not believe how things have changed. When I here about thing like this happening, it make me think about sell everything and being done with the river.
I understand your thought about giving it all up....But I think you would be cheating your boys out of a lifestyle and a legacy that has been such a big part of your life that you would be a little dissapointed, when there older and the "remeber when stories" come out and they have no idea where and what your talking about....
Just a different POV

THOR
08-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Is there any idea of how this accident happened? Wrong turn? Mechanical failure, etc?
I cant stop thinking about this.

atomickitn
08-06-2007, 08:40 AM
very sorry to hear this , r.i.p. :(

Magic34
08-06-2007, 08:50 AM
This is horrible. I could not imagine anything happening to my little girl. Our prayers are with the family. RIP... :(
I will never let my little girl ride with another boater even if they are my best friend, or even parents.
If I have somoen else's kids on board, first the parents are always with us, and second, I keep it very slow. I avoid congested areas like the plague.
When you hear a story like this, don't let it just fade away. Keep it burned in your brain and use this little girl as a reminder to keep yourself in check. Dont drink, and dont do dumb sh*t. That simple.
God Bless her! :(

HocusPocus
08-06-2007, 08:53 AM
i am a father of 4 and my youngest just turned 6 today, hearing stories like this just makes me sick to my stomach. we gave up going out on the weekends 5 years ago, it just wasn't fun anymore with all the stuff that goes on out there. my thoughts and prayers go out to all that this tragedy has affected and maybe we can all learn something from this to make each of our river trips safer.

TheCarDudes
08-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't post very often with opinions or strong gesture but I couldn't resist.
This whole thing is just terrible. We have 3 kids 15,14 and 3. I could not imagine life without any one of them. I could not imagine life being any part of that incident; making the call, receiving the call, driving the boat reponsible and living with that on my conscience. It's just bad all the way around.
R.I.P. little angel. Our prayers go to everyone to find the strength to get through this.
Hopefully this is a wake up call for everyone.
I think we need to all step up and try to take some control of the situation. Like it has already been stated, with accidents like this, it will only be a matter of time before we are stripped of our freedom as we enjoy it today in regards to boating in Havasu and surrounding areas. Unreasonable speed limits will be set, rules will be changed, laws will be passed. As Rex said, high performance boating might not survive another decade, at least not in Havasu if this keeps up.
It seems that there are a certain group of people here that are willing to make a difference now. I pledge to be part of that group. I think the idea of printing the article and keeping it on the boat is great. I'm going to do it. I going to go one step further. I'm going to print extra copies to pass out to boaters that I see are drinking and even thinking about driving.
I suggest we take it one step further. With alcohol being suspected to be involved and most probably true in the last 3 fatalities in Havasu and the river, I think it's time for some kind of movement. We need to establish a "group name" against boating under the influence. It should go beyond the flyers and printed articles. I know there are a bunch of companies related to the industry that would or should be happy to support this cause. We need to have T-Shirts of a unique color printed. Wearing one of these t-shirts while you are boating states that you support the cause. I remember a HB memeber in spam looking for silk screening work. Maybe we can get a great deal from him. We can make our presence shown so that others will hopefully feel compelled out of respect to join in. Come on people. We can all post on here and state our opinion, I think we need to make it known in the public and be so obvious that we make a difference. I have read many posts up to this one about what everyone is commiting. Let's take it to the next step before it gets to the next step on its own in a bad way.
We just need the help of a few indiviuals in town to get this done. We need someone to design the shirt. Any graphics designers here? We need some one to coordinate the silk screening. Everyone can pitch in with either contacting anyone in the industry they do business with in town for some kind of a small donation to get the shirts done. This will help keep the cost down for any individuals that want to purchase these shirts. There could also be some other ideas funded by these donations to help stop OUI. I'm reaching out to anyone who wants to be invloved. Boat manufacturers, service facilities, restaurants, anyone and everyone.
Is this a lofty goal? Can we do this? I think we can. I sure want to make a difference now. Just think of that sick feeling you got by reading this post from the beginning. Convert that to determination to make this happen.
I would like to make the first commitment for a donation. I will personally donate $500.00 to help get this going. I want to see it happen for the safety of my family and everyone else on the lake. A very small price to pay for everyone's well being. Any small donation by a business or an individual will get us that much closer to making this happen. We need the power of many. The many people here that care.
Please keep this positive people. Please post only positive remarks instead of bashing the idea. I know it may sound like a huge undertaking, buy I know it can happen in some form at some level and grow. I know there are people that watch things happen and people that make things happens. I'm looking for the ladder of the two. A long time ago a group of mothers against drunk driving formed MADD, look at them today. The D.A.R.E. program has been exteremely effective everywhere. This can happen, at least in our little resort town. I need a few peeps to step up to take responsibilty to help me get this done. Any of those people either retired or with some extra time on our hands in Havasu, please speak up. It's not much to do if you have the time.
Our goal is to keep our intentions true and real. We have made many comparisons to driving a car. No matter what your position on the boating subject is or will be, we will still think it is OK to go to dinner and have a beer or glass of wine and them drive home. I think that is OK. It is why we have "legal limits" of blood alcohol content laws. I don't think this is about saying that anyone who is a part of this will never enjoy "A" beer with their turkey sandwich while anchored in a cove somewhere. And maybe another beer an hour or two later before it is time to pull the anchor and go home. This is about responsibilty, not abstinance. If you need to completely abstain from drinking to reach your goal, then that is your decision. Just rememer that your choice to drink affects everyone in your boat as well as everyone else on the lake around you that day. So, make your decisions accordingly. Set goals to be responsible and to be an example. Don't set goals to be failed. Just be responsible.
Once again, I will start this fund with the first $500. PLEASE keep this positive. Post up any ideas you have to contribute here.
Peace
George

Her454
08-06-2007, 08:59 AM
I hate reading these heartwrenching threads. My heart goes out to the families of all involved, including the families that had to witness the scene at the dock. Its tragic it takes a senseless death to wake people up to the dangers of drinking and driving, if not for a moment. Unfortunately, this will fade and be forgotten and there will more deaths on the river. The waterways are far too congested just about anywhere you go today. Combine that with inexperience, too much horsepower, stupidity and alcohol and you have a recipe for tragedy, period. I love the idea of having the article nearby to give to the boater that is ready to tow another child or head back to the marina after having a few beers. Might save a life or two, who knows.
God bless that little girl. I just called my own little 20 yr old baby and told her I loved her. Life is too short. :(

hotlavey
08-06-2007, 09:01 AM
This whole thing is just terrible. We have 3 kids 15,14 and 3. I could not imagine life without any one of them. I could not imagine life being any part of that incident; making the call, receiving the call, driving the boat reponsible and living with that on my conscience. It's just bad all the way around.
R.I.P. little angel. Our prayers go to everyone to find the strength to get through this.
I think we need to all step up and try to take some control of the situation. Like it has already been stated, with accidents like this, it will only be a matter of time before we are stripped of our freedom as we enjoy it today in regards to boating in Havasu and surrounding areas. Unreasonable speed limits will be set, rules will be changed, laws will be passed. As Rex said, high performance boating might not survive another decade, at least not in Havasu if this keeps up.
It seems that there are a certain group of people here that are willing to make a difference now. I pledge to be part of that group. I think the idea of printing the article and keeping it on the boat is great. I'm going to do it. I going to go one step further. I'm going to print extra copies to pass out to boaters that I see are drinking and even thinking about driving.
I suggest we take it one step further. With alcohol being suspected to be involved and most probably true in the last 3 fatalities in Havasu and the river, I think it's time for some kind of movement. We need to establish a "group name" against boating under the influence. It should go beyond the flyers and printed articles. I know there are a bunch of companies related to the industry that would or should be happy to support this cause. We need to have T-Shirts of a unique color printed. Wearing one of these t-shirts while you are boating states that you support the cause. I remember a HB memeber in spam looking for silk screening work. Maybe we can get a great deal from him. We can make our presence shown so that others will hopefully feel compelled out of respect to join in. Come on people. We can all post on here and state our opinion, I think we need to make it known in the public and be so obvious that we make a difference. I have read many posts up to this one about what everyone is commiting. Let's take it to the next step before it gets to the next step on its own in a bad way.
We just need the help of a few indiviuals in town to get this done. We need someone to design the shirt. Any graphics designers here? We need some one to coordinate the silk screening. Everyone can pitch in with either contacting anyone in the industry they do business with in town for some kind of a small donation to get the shirts done. This will help keep the cost down for any individuals that want to purchase these shirts. There could also be some other ideas funded by these donations to help stop OUI. I'm reaching out to anyone who wants to be invloved. Boat manufacturers, service facilities, restaurants, anyone and everyone.
Is this a lofty goal? Can we do this? I think we can. I sure want to make a difference now. Just think of that sick feeling you got by reading this post from the beginning. Convert that to determination to make this happen.
I would like to make the first commitment for a donation. I will personally donate $500.00 to help get this going. I want to see it happen for the safety of my family and everyone else on the lake. A very small price to pay for everyone's well being. Any small donation by a business or an individual will get us that much closer to making this happen. We need the power of many. The many people here that care.
Please keep this positive people. Please post only positive remarks instead of bashing the idea. I know it may sound like a huge undertaking, buy I know it can happen in some form at some level and grow. I know there are people that watch things happen and people that make things happens. I'm looking for the ladder of the two. A long time ago a group of mothers against drunk driving formed MADD, look at them today. The D.A.R.E. program has been exteremely effective everywhere. This can happen, at least in our little resort town. I need a few peeps to step up to take responsibilty to help me get this done. Any of those people either retired or with some extra time on our hands in Havasu, please speak up. It's not much to do if you have the time.
Our goal is to keep our intentions true and real. We have made many comparisons to driving a car. No matter what your position on the boating subject is or will be, we will still think it is OK to got to dinner and have a beer or glass of wine and them drive home. I think that is OK. It is why we have "legal limits" of blood alcohol content laws. I don't think this is about saying that anyone who is a part of this will never enjoy "A" beer with their turkey sandwich while anchored in a cove somewhere. And maybe another beer an hour or two later before it is time to pull the anchor and go home. This is about responsibilty, not abstinance. If you need to completely abstain from drinking to reach your goal, then that is your decision. Just rememer that your choice to drink affects everyone in your boat as well as everyone else on the lake around you that day. So, make your decisions accordingly. Set goals to be responsible and to be an example. Don't set goals to be failed. Just be responsible.
Once again, I will start this fund with the first $500. PLEASE keep this positive. Post up any ideas you have to contribute here.
Peace
George
BADD= Boaters Against Drunk Drivers or Boaters Against Drinking & Driving

Her454
08-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Our goal is to keep our intentions true and real. We have made many comparisons to driving a car. No matter what your position on the boating subject is or will be, we will still think it is OK to go to dinner and have a beer or glass of wine and them drive home. I think that is OK. It is why we have "legal limits" of blood alcohol content laws. I don't think this is about saying that anyone who is a part of this will never enjoy "A" beer with their turkey sandwich while anchored in a cove somewhere. And maybe another beer an hour or two later before it is time to pull the anchor and go home. This is about responsibilty, not abstinance. If you need to completely abstain from drinking to reach your goal, then that is your decision. Just rememer that your choice to drink affects everyone in your boat as well as everyone else on the lake around you that day. So, make your decisions accordingly. Set goals to be responsible and to be an example. Don't set goals to be failed. Just be responsible.
Peace
George
George, I think this is an excellent idea and I will donate as well. I also think it would be nice to have the little girls name on the first set of shirts in her memory to help remind us of just how important this is. There are a few other very special names that should go on the shirts as well and Billy B can let us know if that would be too painful for one of our own HBoaters here. Im sure we would need permission from family but its a start.
Although I rarely boat in Havasu, it would be nice to see these shirts all over NOR CAL as well!

TheCarDudes
08-06-2007, 09:10 AM
George, I think this is an excellent idea and I will donate as well. I also think it would be nice to have the little girls name on the first set of shirts in her memory to help remind us of just how important this is. There are a few other very special names that should go on the shirts as well and Billy B can let us know if that would be too painful for one of our own HBoaters here. Im sure we would need permission from family but its a start.
Although I rarely boat in Havasu, it would be nice to see these shirts all over NOR CAL as well!
I agree. I think that is a great idea. Once we have some people in place to make sure this will happen, we'll make contact to her family and the other familes of the ones lost this year to tell them we would like to pay our respects by including her name(s) on the shirts.
Thanx for the support.

wright27
08-06-2007, 09:13 AM
This is so sad to have to read. I have been involved in boating since I was born. It was something my family has always done and they passed it on to me and I am sure kids will continue with boating in there adult life.
It frustrates me to all hell when I go to the lake and see nothing but morons thinking boating is nothing more than one big party with no responibilites.
People buying 100+ MPH boats with not enough experience owning a boat like that, then mixing alcohol. Scarry
God Bless all of those who had to take part in such a tragedy.

Baja Big Dog
08-06-2007, 09:14 AM
This thread needs to be a sticky...as sad as it is, most of us will forget about it soon.
This needs to be the first thing we ALL see everytime we login, and remember what a tragedy it is when we do the things we know are wrong while boating.
Ive been sober for 25 years, and it makes me sick when I see some of the things that go on when the boat meets the water. I am not a teetotaler by any stretch of the imagine, but it is amazing the things you see when you don't drink!!!
Like most have said, most things most of us enjoy will soon be gone, or regulated so hard we wont want to participate., the sand is in the same situation, too much horsepower combined with inexperience, alcohol, and the results are disastrous.
Too bad this thread cant be framed and hung at all the launch ramps on or around the lake, as a reminder to all of US, what can happen when we don't think before we drive!!
This along with Yopengo's Amazing Grace would be a great way for everyone to start their day on the water!!!

uLtRADeNniS
08-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Peace
George
Sounds like a great Idea George.

LandSpeedRacer
08-06-2007, 09:16 AM
RIP:( :mad:
Why don't people treat driving a boat (especially a fast one) the same as piloting a plane? I do. Many of the same dangers are there and some are worse, especially when innocent kids count on us adults to be responsible.
Sorry to once again hear this:(
LSR

Magic34
I agree. I think that is a great idea. Once we have some people in place to make sure this will happen, we'll make contact to her family and the other familes of the ones lost this year to tell them we would like to pay our respects by including her name(s) on the shirts.
Thanx for the support.
I'm in. I will get the graphic design done, and I have a good contact for screening shirts. Wont be too expensive.
George... cAll me and I can go over some stuff with you. We could have this done in 2 weeks.

rmarion
Peace
George
Gerorge Well SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been boating for 35 years... and have never boated Havasu....finally got the courage up and rented a house on the riverfront at Havasu, during the week. Sorry people, but there was NO WAY I'd ever put my family at risk and boat on a weekend at Havasu.
Again RIP Little One.........
George, I'll match your $500 for that WORTHY cause........

Her454
08-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Also FYI..IF there are no screeners available here to do the work, I have a company. They recently did some shirts for me and they turned out very nice with a custom design and at a very reasonable price. Im sure they would do something like this at a very low cost simply for the message it conveys.

TheCarDudes
08-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Thank you to everyone who has responded so far in support of the idea. A big thanks to those who have already stepped up and made monitary contributions. This will happen.
George

phebus
08-06-2007, 09:22 AM
George, great idea. As far as Havasu goes, I suggest you contact Todd969. He is Executive Director of the Lake Havasu Marine Assoc., and a joint partnership between a group representing boaters against drinking/driving and the assoc. would be a good marraige.

cvonscpa
08-06-2007, 09:26 AM
RIP Little Angel
I just read this post this morning. I was getting ready to go lauch our boat for a nice day with my wife, but after reading about this tragedy neither of us are too enthusiastic about rushing out to get on the water. I hate that it often takes tragedies like this to teach people about responsible boating.

Her454
08-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Thank you to everyone who has responded so far in support of the idea. A big thanks to those who have already stepped up and made monitary contributions. This will happen.
George
George, thank YOU for being bold enough to pioneer the idea and have the positive attitude to make it work. Personally I think it will take ALOT more than just wearing a TShirt to help stop these deaths, and comittment from those who WEAR them as well, but its a start.

catman-do
08-06-2007, 09:29 AM
I think the t-shirts are a good idea, however I dont know if I would put specific names on them since not everyone will get the exact story straight when people ask about the shirts. The idea of the shirt would be to stir up conversation regarding the issue. I think it may be a good idea to put some statistics on them as such (although i dont know actual stats)
Boaters Against Drunk Driving
Lake Havasu/Needles Stats
2004 - 8 deaths
2005 - 7 deaths
2006 - 9 deaths
2007 - 3 deaths and counting
ARE YOU NEXT?

Ivan Dan
08-06-2007, 09:30 AM
A slap on the wrist, minimal jail time, alittle probation ( no drinking while on the water for whatever time the judge hands out) and your good to go.
I have to disagree with this statement!
Not sure if you remember the incident that happened a few years back where a boat with 8 people onboard ran into the 40/Topac Bridge at 4am and several people were killed?!?!? That was a bunch of friends of mine with the driver being a model citizen and first time offender of OUI or DUI. He got 10 years in prison for the stupid decision he made. The worst part about this is his best friend was one of the deceased and he has to deal with that for the rest of his life.

phebus
08-06-2007, 09:33 AM
T-shirts would be great, but pamphlets handed out at launch ramp facilities would provide information that would hopefully make an individual make the right decision and boat sober.

TheCarDudes
08-06-2007, 09:39 AM
I think the t-shirts are a good idea, however I dont know if I would put specific names on them since not everyone will get the exact story straight when people ask about the shirts. The idea of the shirt would be to stir up conversation regarding the issue. I think it may be a good idea to put some statistics on them as such (although i dont know actual stats)
Boaters Against Drunk Driving
Lake Havasu/Needles Stats
2004 - 8 deaths
2005 - 7 deaths
2006 - 9 deaths
2007 - 3 deaths and counting
ARE YOU NEXT?
So far 2 votes for B.A.D.D. It is what stuck in my mind as I was typing the post. I just had so much to say I forgot to add it in.
Rick,
I think it is a great idea. I don't have his #. Can you PM it to me. Either that, or I'm sure he'll read this post soon enough.
I just did a quick brainstorm with Michael, MAGIC#34,. I think we might be using an upcoming event to launch our organization.

TheCarDudes
08-06-2007, 09:40 AM
T-shirts would be great, but pamphlets handed out at launch ramp facilities would provide information that would hopefully make an individual make the right decision and boat sober.
Rick,
Great idea. Do you have any time to help write some of the verbage for those panphlets? Anyone else on here can contribute here also.

whiteworks
08-06-2007, 09:42 AM
a major campain at the launch ramps/gas stations and all Ice machines.

ParkerRat
08-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Peace
George
Like everyone else here, this story has really effected me. This is so horrible and I could not even imagine this happening to one of my Kids. Count us in on whatever it takes to get "BADD" up and running. I'll pass these shirts out to everyone I hang with at the river.

Her454
08-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Not sure if you remember the incident that happened a few years back where a boat with 8 people onboard ran into the 40/Topac Bridge at 4am and several people were killed?!?!? That was a bunch of friends of mine with the driver being a model citizen and first time offender of OUI or DUI. He got 10 years in prison for the stupid decision he made. The worst part about this is his best friend was one of the deceased and he has to deal with that for the rest of his life.
I completely agree with Billy on his statement. And for very good reason. Without bringing out detail that could open up some wounds here, EVERY person that gets behind the wheel of a boat needs to be responsible for whomever is in their boat, period. Boating at 4am with a bunch of passengers on the river? Im sure he is in a living hell dealing with his "stupid decision" but what do you think he should have got for that mistake? I think Billy was stating that far too often there is too much leniency when these lives are taken. What message does that send? Circumstance obviously plays a part in a sentence, but when lives are lost to someone that is DRUNK, in my opinion they should be consistent. I hope this thread does not turn into a pissing match about taking away our freedoms on the river etc when it comes to OUI enforcement. God bless that little girl and her memory.

phebus
08-06-2007, 09:46 AM
George, I will PM you his number.
Also, I wonder what products would be available at a no cost item. I bet the Coast Guard has information they hand out that would be available if an organization was formed.

Mrs.Racer277
08-06-2007, 09:52 AM
This hit very close to home for us to. Scott has to live with his mistake the rest of his life.

Her454
08-06-2007, 09:52 AM
I completely agree with Billy on his statement. And for very good reason. Without bringing out detail that could open up some wounds here, EVERY person that gets behind the wheel of a boat needs to be responsible for whomever is in their boat, period. Boating at 4am with a bunch of passengers on the river? Im sure he is in a living hell dealing with his "stupid decision" but what do you think he should have got for that mistake? I think Billy was stating that far too often there is too much leniency when these lives are taken. What message does that send? Circumstance obviously plays a part in a sentence, but when lives are lost to someone that is DRUNK, in my opinion they should be consistent. I hope this thread does not turn into a pissing match about taking away our freedoms on the river etc when it comes to OUI enforcement. God bless that little girl and her memory.

Shockwave 25
08-06-2007, 09:55 AM
R.I.P Little Angel.
Heavenly Father,
Welcome this Angel into your Kingdom. May her presence always be in our hearts and your hand of safety protect us, our friends and our families every day. May your wisdom provide us knowledge to make the right dicisions, may your courage help All of us through this time. Lord may your presence be felt with the families and may your Love hold her family close. Heavenly Father, thank you for all our blessings. In Jesus Chris I pray.
Amen
Heaven has another beautiful soul.

BigDoug
08-06-2007, 09:56 AM
George, im willing to help out in any way as well...........................im not a drinker nor a fan of drinking while boating or driving any vehicle !!!!.......so i support whatever we can do to help out this awareness cause. :D

HokeySon
08-06-2007, 09:59 AM
So far 2 votes for B.A.D.D. It is what stuck in my mind as I was typing the post. I just had so much to say I forgot to add it in.
Rick,
I think it is a great idea. I don't have his #. Can you PM it to me. Either that, or I'm sure he'll read this post soon enough.
I just did a quick brainstorm with Michael, MAGIC#34,. I think we might be using an upcoming event to launch our organization.
this is such a great idea and name that someone has already done it.
http://www.badd.org/
If y'all are serious, You may want to talk to these folks about setting up a chapter (its on their website). If a separate non-profit is needed, I will volunteer to do the legal work (at no charge) to set it up .

Top Cat II
08-06-2007, 09:59 AM
I was in my sitting in my boat Saturday at Topac as the boat came in counting and giving CPR. I watched as most others did and I can tell you my hair is still standing up. I felt so helpless. Nothing has touched me as much as watching the event unfold.
With that bieng said, I had a printing/t-shirt business for over 20 years and sold a ton of t-shirts. Nobody can get them done cheaper for a good quality shirt. I wll donate and deliver the first 100 shirts to whom ever can lead in this group.
If Todd can do something or Mike at RRX 6 I want in!
I can be reached at 951-906-3085.
Bob

TheCarDudes
08-06-2007, 10:05 AM
I was in my sitting in my boat Saturday at Topac as the boat came in counting and giving CPR. I watched as most others did and I can tell you my hair is still standing up. I felt so helpless. Nothing has touched me as much as watching the event unfold.
With that bieng said, I had a printing/t-shirt business for over 20 years and sold a ton of t-shirts. Nobody can get them done cheaper for a good quality shirt. I wll donate and deliver the first 100 shirts to whom ever can lead in this group.
Bob
Thanks Bob.
If you are talking Mike (MAGIC34) at RRX, then yes, I have already been in communication with him. Please call him about the shirts. He also has a source but your might work out better.
George

HavasuDreamin'
08-06-2007, 10:05 AM
I could not even imagine having to go through this. :(
R.I.P. Little One.
Isn't boating suppose to be fun? It doesn't seem to be much fun anymore. :( I left the west coast 10 years ago. I may have picked the right time. :(

Top Cat II
08-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks Bob.
If you are talking Mike (MAGIC34) at RRX, then yes, I have already been in communication with him. Please call him about the shirts. He also has a source but your might work out better.
George
Mike knows who I am as I have been boating in Havasu since 1978. However he does not have my number. I hope he will read it here. I know that business in Havasu will support this idea.
I refuse to sell my properties, boat and give up that would be the easy way out.

TheCarDudes
08-06-2007, 10:11 AM
this is such a great idea and name that someone has already done it.
http://www.badd.org/
If y'all are serious, You may want to talk to these folks about setting up a chapter (its on their website). If a separate non-profit is needed, I will volunteer to do the legal work (at no charge) to set it up .
Thanks for the info. I have just spoken to them and am now in the process of getting the materials for us to review.
Thanx

shrek
08-06-2007, 10:14 AM
I am in with any resourse I can provide. This is of upmost importance, and we need to treat it that way.
We need to pool our resourses, and all get on the same page with this.
I also have a T-shirt guy that we could get involved with this. Top Notch work.
If anyone wants to meet in SoCal, or have two meetings in SoCal and Havasu and conference them together we can do that too.
Matt Svatos
Branch Manager
United Rentals
562-244-0696
msvatos@ur.com

phebus
08-06-2007, 10:14 AM
To be effective, an endeavor such as this is going to cost a lot of money. A joint effort between the group and a non-profit assoc. (such as the LHCMA) would be highly beneficial, as it might entice large corporations to donate and participate.
If the alcohol industry and boat manufacturers got behind this effort, it could be huge.

uLtRADeNniS
08-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Bob
Were you by the launch ramp for sometime? I think I pulled in a slip right next to you with 3 other boats.

BoatPI
08-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Perhaps we could establish a Lake Havasu Chapter of BADD.ORG? It seems that stickers would be a good addition, and visible in town, perhaps giving some the the Game and fish folks and on the water PD for handing out as a PR issue. Linking to the LHMA might also be a good PR move from them too, and get some press for this issue.

ULTRA26 # 1
08-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Perhaps we could establish a Lake Havasu Chapter of BADD.ORG? It seems that stickers would be a good addition, and visible in town, perhaps giving some the the Game and fish folks and on the water PD for handing out as a PR issue. Linking to the LHMA might also be a good PR move from them too, and get some press for this issue.
I like this idea as a start and you can count me in.
John M

riverracerx
08-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I would be happy to do anything I can to help this cause at RRX6. M34 is my main man and he has some great sources too.
RIP baby girl! :(

BoatPI
08-06-2007, 10:34 AM
hOW ABOUT THIS?

MissB
08-06-2007, 10:38 AM
:( Very Sad, I feel for the family, very scary.. I have a 5 & 8 year old, this hits waay to close....
B.A.D.D. I'm in!

ULTRA26 # 1
08-06-2007, 10:39 AM
hOW ABOUT THIS?
This looks good
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36539&d=1186425255

Magic34
08-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Mike knows who I am as I have been boating in Havasu since 1978. However he does not have my number. I hope he will read it here. I know that business in Havasu will support this idea.
I refuse to sell my properties, boat and give up that would be the easy way out.
I'm here. PM me your #. WE will go your route for sure then. :) Thanks.
We need to try and focus the talk of this group to the other thread George started B. A. D. D. It will be easier to find and read to catch up on everything.

Top Cat II
08-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Were you by the launch ramp for sometime? I think I pulled in a slip right next to you with 3 other boats.
That was me.

TheCarDudes
08-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I have contacted them. The said materials and info will be sent to me. I will provide what we need to do as soon as we get the info.
I've left a voicemail for Todd at LHMA.
I started another thread under B.A.D.D.
It might be better to continue this over there so we can stay up to date without reading 2 threads.
Once again, thank you to everyone who has already stepped up with your resources and/or your monitary contributions.
George

thatguy
08-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I am in most definitley.
The tragedy of this and most accidents like this is that the person found responsible could very easily be any one of us that "has a couple of beers".
He will not have devil horns or be the reincarnation of satan. He is you and I. There are some in this thread who have completely given up alchohol, or at least alchohol while boating. I am now one of those people. That little girl will be watching me and there is no way I can put a beer to my lips in that boat with here shaking her head at me.
I can not shake this feeling. I feel worse today than when I first read this. I think the reason is because of how EASILY it can be most anyone of us. I can not imagine the grief of this family OR the grief of living with the guilt of causing it.
For the last 3 years I have always put 2 beers and 2 beers ONLY in my cooler, in the boat. That number is now 0. Her birthday? First trip to the river? My God, how can this not completely strip you down?
Let's NOT let this little girls tragic death be forgotten.
I believe she can be responsible for saving many lives in the future. Maybe YOUR kids lives.
It goes farther than donations. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!!
They have "Meagans Law".
I think all of us should think of this little girl everytime we plan a trip. I would love to see an emblem on everyones boat who donates, joins or supports this movement we are starting here. An emblem that memorializes her. Like the MADD stickers. People will ask "Whats that all about?" Then you tell them and see how many can drink and boat after hearing the story.
I do not know any silkscreeners or printers for shirts, stickers, or newsletters or anything like that. BUT PLEASE any thing I can do to help let me know. Even if its being "Lake Patrol" or "ramp preacher" I will do it.
Tommy :( :(

Ziggy
08-06-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm in shock :(
RIP little Angel.
That stretch is such a dangerous corner to navigate, extreme caution should be used at all times with your head on a swivel watching for others....
Just angers me to no end that a young girls life has to be lost because someone else was selfish...:mad: :mad:

Wet Dream
08-06-2007, 11:29 AM
This is truly heartbreaking news. I can't tell you how sad it makes me, I wish all the support for the family of this little Angel.
It really does seem like we have to hear about these type stories way too often, but is it due to the availability of the internet and how fast information can spread? Out here, we would never hear of any of the Havasu deaths, gangbangers, or drug sales that are happening on the water. We really don't have any of that.
I like some of the ideas that are being kicked around and will be following them closely.

sdpm
08-06-2007, 11:46 AM
There are no words that can describe how I feel! Absolutly horrible! I like many of you have an 8 and 14 yr old girls. I can't even imagine but this hits home and right in the heart. I am so sorry for everyone involved. My sunken/broken heart go's out to you!
Too the precious little girl: Every time I see my beautiful girls I will think of you and hope to not soon forget you. I hope you are truly in a better place and resting in peace. I know you will be busy watching over alot of other kids but could you please help us keep an eye on ours also. Take care my dear! You are loved and will be missed!!:(

SummitKarl
08-06-2007, 11:56 AM
First of all my prayers and thoughts to the family of this little girl, I can't imagine how awful this must be for them.
I got to say I am DAMN!!!! sick and tired of logging on to HB on Mondays, to find out what some drunk moron did or what poor sole lost their life because of stupidity, carelessness or just lack of judgment. this particular Monday just seems full of it and even a fine example of recklessness was set by one of our own this weekend.....
It's time for a change, a long over due change...The B.A.D.D thing is a great start and I am "ALL IN" for that and combining it in with the LHCMA is even better, it's stuff like this is why I rarely go boating on the weekends and even when I do it's on early and off early..Drinking and driving ANYTHING!! is just plane stupid....I am proud to say "no thank you I am driving";)

Riveratz
08-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Peace
George
George,
I think this is a great Idea and you can count me in also.
Lorne

Temecula0000
08-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Her name is Sara and she recently turned 10 years old. She was in a boat with 11 people and her father was in a boat behind the accident. Other family and friends witnessed the accident and one is still in ICU in Vegas. I will pass on these comments to the family as I am sure they will be blessed by the idea of program to prevent drinking & boating. Please pray for the family and everyone that was injured in or witnessed this accident. My email is temecula0000 at yahoo dot com and I will forward any emails sent to the family.

Quest4Fun
08-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Her name is Sara and she recently turned 10 years old. She was in a boat with 11 people and her father was in a boat behind the accident. Other family and friends witnessed the accident and one is still in ICU in Vegas. I will pass on these comments to the family as I am sure they will be blessed by the idea of program to prevent drinking & boating. Please pray for the family and everyone that was injured in or witnessed this accident. My email is temecula0000 at yahoo dot com and I will forward any emails sent to the family.
RIP Sara.
OUr thoughts are with the family and friends at this painful and tragic time.

revndave
08-06-2007, 01:03 PM
RIP Sara
Our prayers are with you and your family
The Williams

Slacker
08-06-2007, 01:11 PM
This was a senseless tragedy. As a parent of 9 year old little girl i cant even imagine,My prayers and go out to Sara's family and her friends that were hurt.
Hopefully the guilty SOB will get what he deserves.

RiverDave
08-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Does anyone know exactly what happened. I read the newspaper article, but it was very vague. Sad to read, that's for sure.
That would make entirely too much sense for ***boat..
RD

AirtimeLavey
08-06-2007, 01:18 PM
:( :( :( Thank you for the information. Like many others, I am crushed at this news. I have a 10 year old daughter. With some reluctance, I did let her go to the river (Lake Mohave) w/friends recently, but I may have to re-think it in the future. I would be devastated if anything happened to her.
Our condolences and thoughts are with the family and friends. I hope the survivors have a full and speedy recovery.
I just don't take the kids to Havasu on the weekends, but we have had too many great memories to give up on boating. We boat in better places. The only time we go down to Havi now, is when I have friends that have never been and want to see the "notorious" Havasu they've heard so much about.
Yep, it'd be nice if everyone on here was sincere about the boating and drinking, but this is the same site where people show off the bars/liquor stashes in their boats and their gas powered blenders. Whatever.

RiverDave
08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
:( :( :( Thank you for the information. Like many others, I am crushed at this news. I have a 10 year old daughter. With some reluctance, I did let her go to the river (Lake Mohave) w/friends recently, but I may have to re-think it in the future. I would be devastated if anything happened to her.
Our condolences and thoughts are with the family and friends. I hope the survivors have a full and speedy recovery.
I just don't take the kids to Havasu on the weekends, but we have had too many great memories to give up on boating. We boat in better places. The only time we go down to Havi now, is when I have friends that have never been and want to see the "notorious" Havasu they've heard so much about.
Yep, it'd be nice if everyone on here was sincere about the boating and drinking, but this is the same site where people show off the bars/liquor stashes in their boats and their gas powered blenders. Whatever.
Pretty much.. and I'll bet 100.00 says if they get those shirts made, I'll grab a picture of somebody wearing one of those shirts drinking a beer, getting ready to drive a boat inside of 3 months.
Hell look at the guy that started the thread Ultradennis, we were at a bar, saw this tragedy, and we poured out our drinks and went up river. What were you drinking Dennis? A coke? Not likely..
As well this same board, has absolutely zero clue as to what happened, or what caused the accident. Hell to my knowledge they haven't even confirmed that alcohol was a contributing cause to the accident, yet they want this guy to hang from the nearest tree, and start a movement.. WTF?
That's the mentallity of this board.. I think it's a terrible idea to get wasted and boat, but I also think it's a terrible idea to support something blindly with zero leadership, zero responsibillity for their own actions, in the name of a good cause.. What a sham.. They could likely do more damage to our sport in a shorter amount of time then throngs of drunk boaters.
You people are on a witch hunt, and all logic has gone right out the window.
Everybodies gotta blame something though I guess.
RD

lauralue77
08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
x.

UltraStealth
08-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Pretty much.. and I'll bet 100.00 says if they get those shirts made, I'll grab a picture of somebody wearing one of those shirts drinking a beer, getting ready to drive a boat inside of 3 months.
Hell look at the guy that started the thread Ultradennis, we were at a bar, saw this tragedy, and we poured out our drinks and went up river. What were you drinking Dennis? A coke? Not likely..
As well this same board, has absolutely zero clue as to what happened, or what caused the accident. Hell to my knowledge they haven't even confirmed that alcohol was a contributing cause to the accident, yet they want this guy to hang from the nearest tree, and start a movement.. WTF?
That's the mentallity of this board.. I think it's a terrible idea to get wasted and boat, but I also think it's a terrible idea to support something blindly with zero leadership, zero responsibillity for their own actions, in the name of a good cause.. What a sham.. They could likely do more damage to our sport in a shorter amount of time then throngs of drunk boaters.
RD
Well Said!!!!

RiverDave
08-06-2007, 01:33 PM
hey everyone...that was my cousin that died on saturday night. she was 10 years old and.....i have never seen anytihng like that. the people at the resturant were very helpful i thank god they were there. if anyone was there you probaly saw me. my cousin is no longer with us and uncle and the rest of my family are a wreck. im 16...and i swear that the idiot that took my cousins live is going to pay. please i need people to talk to my e-mail is lauralue77@yahoo.com
I'm terribly sorry you had to see that, and go through it. I've gone through it once or twice myself and it is something that I wouldn't wish on anybody.
Can you fill us in on any of the details that caused the accident? Or can your uncle? (whom I'm assuming was driving the boat?)
RD

UltraStealth
08-06-2007, 01:35 PM
hey everyone...that was my cousin that died on saturday night. she was 10 years old and.....i have never seen anytihng like that. the people at the resturant were very helpful i thank god they were there. if anyone was there you probaly saw me. my cousin is no longer with us and uncle and the rest of my family are a wreck. im 16...and i swear that the idiot that took my cousins live is going to pay. please i need people to talk to my e-mail is lauralue77@yahoo.com
This is absolutely devastating. I could only imagine. I have a 2 1/2 year old that I couldn't live without. We pray for the families involved in this terrible accident and esspecially the little girl who lost her life.

Sleeper CP
08-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I will never let my little girl ride with another boater even if they are my best friend, or even parents.
God Bless her! :(
I read this thread last night at 11:55 before going to sleep, it really took the wind out of my sails. It's one of those things that you almost wish you didn't know. It is far to easy for me to internalize this situation. My 10 year old little angle has been asked by a friend since last year to join them at the river.
As Magic34 posted above the answer has been" sorry baby you can't go to the river until Uncle James and I get the boat running again and you will go when we go."
May God bless her soul and give peace to her family. I'm Sorry.
Jon

lauralue77
08-06-2007, 01:38 PM
x.

Dan Lorenze
08-06-2007, 01:40 PM
it'd be nice if everyone on here was sincere about the boating and drinking, but this is the same site where people show off the bars/liquor stashes in their boats and their gas powered blenders. Whatever.
True

jbtrailerjim
08-06-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm so sorry you and your family are having to go through this terrible tragedy. My deepest condolences go out to you and your family. :(

AirtimeLavey
08-06-2007, 01:49 PM
RD
It would be good to have more details. Going up river there at that time of day, the sun is low, and it can be tough to see oncoming traffic. I have to slow down and make sure I can see when we round that corner because of the sun. I once had to come to a complete stop just above there because of a young kid on a waverunner not paying attention. That section in late afternoon can be dangerous. I'd like to know what all the facts are that caused this horrific tragedy.
lauralue77, sorry to hear what you've been through. Stay strong.

ULTRA26 # 1
08-06-2007, 01:56 PM
RD
Dave,
It's true that we don't know if the death of this innocent child was related to alcohol or not. If you recall you and I have communicated about driving a boat while drinking on another occasion. If I also recall, your position was that you didn't want your right to drink and drive your boat taken away as a result of those who can't handle alcohol as well as you believe you do.
There are many of us who post in these forums who are fed up with those who drink and drive on the water. Of course we all understand that lack of experience plays a large role in boating accidents. However, add alcohol to a lack of experience, you have a recipe for disaster.
If the the person who caused this had a blood alcohol level of over .08, he/she should be severely punished. There are laws against OUI. There are no laws against lack of experience.
Crowded weekends on AZ Lakes and Rivers have become dangerous enough without adding alcohol into the mix. Anyone driving on the water at .08 or more, increases an already high level of danger.
Preserving the rights of those who desire to use the AZ Lakes and Rivers safely, is far more important than preserving your right to drink and drive.

Jbb
08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
RD
RD is 100% correct on this one....

uLtRADeNniS
08-06-2007, 02:12 PM
RD
No a iced tea. Shut your fockin mouth and think before you talk sh*t to me. Dont you ever judge me or try and act like you know what I do in my personal life. You are no one to ever talk down on me.
Laurie Im sorry of your loss. I was up on the balcony and saw everything. happen

Tom Brown
08-06-2007, 02:12 PM
hey everyone...that was my cousin that died on saturday night.
I'm so very sorry, Lauralue. :( :( :( :( :(

RiverDave
08-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Dave,
It's true that we don't know if the death of this innocent child was related to alcohol or not.
Then why all the "BADD" talk in this thread? Or is the reality of the situation, your using this little girls death as shock value to help further your own personal agenda? But it's a good cause right?
If you recall you and I have communicated about driving a boat while drinking on another occasion. If I also recall, your position was that you didn't want your right to drink and drive your boat taken away as a result of those who can't handle alcohol as well as you believe you do.
Survey says, wrong big guy.. I don't drink and boat, but if I do it might be one or two across the day. My position (for the 500th time) is I'm tired of people claiming booze is to blame for everything, becuase they can't blame the person at fault. People blindly point the guns at the booze dealio, and proceed to crush one of the few freedoms we have left, when in reality irresponsible operators are at fault for 95% of the accidents out there.
There are many of us who post in these forums who fed up with those who drink and drive on the water. Of course we all understand that lack of experience plays a large role in boating accidents. However, add alcohol to a lack of experience, you have a recipe for disaster.
There are many of us that are fed up with people trying to create legislation and support legislation that protects people from themselves. The country was based upon freedom and the idea of personal responsibillity in your own pursuit of happiness. I don't need some lawmaker with zero boating experience telling me what's right and what's wrong. What you don't understand is creating a cause like this just puts another crack in the dam. Sure it looks responsible on the surface.. Performance boaters against drunk driving.. What could be more responsible then that? We'll say you accomplish your mission, we'll say you get zero tolerance in a boat! Great!! It doesn't stop there, it never does.. next thing you know, no open containers in boats.. Congragulations you just killed the river. Don't believe me?
Some guy that doesn't own a boat, doesn't know anything about boats, and could really care less about us, decided 86DB is how loud YOUR boat should be..
If the the person who caused this had a blood alcohol level of over .08, he/she should be severely punished. There are laws against OUI. There are no laws against lack of experience.
Well there should be laws with regards to actually looking at what the cause of EVERY accident was, and not just saying "well that guy had a beer lets hang him." There was an incident with a jetski and a boat on parker not that far back.. jetski swiped a floating boat.. Guy in the floating boat went to jail for OUI (for floating and minding his own business). Is that right?
Crowded weekends on AZ Lakes and Rivers have become dangerous enough without adding alcohol into the mix. Anyone driving on the water at .08 or more, increases an already high level of danger.
I don't want to be the one to break this to you, but the river is safer then it has EVER been!! less wrecks, less fatalities etc.. I'm not sure if you know this, but boating is kinda dangerous. If it wasn't dangerous then odds are it wouldn't be fun.
Preserving the rights of those who desire to use the AZ Lakes and Rivers safely, is far more important than preserving your right to drink and drive.
And there is where you and I disagree.. You immediate decide for you and the rest of the world what's right and what's wrong, or what's more important.
Safety is NOT the most important thing. Would you support a law that demands all of our citizens wear helmets at all times? Why not, it'd be safer? People die tripping over curbs and hitting there heads. There's some statistic that an amazing amount of golfers fall out of karts and hit there heads on sprinklers and die.
Personal responsibillity is where it's at.
Look at Kilrtoy's deckboat thread and you might start to catch on.. 2 morons turn the wrong way.. Kilrtoy was in the wrong for running up on a situation that hard with the "I gotta DCB get outta my way attitude"
1st thing that anybody says is "Well he DOESN'T DRINK!!" Well does that make his mistakes right?
Garaunteed if I had my 2, 3, 4, or whatever amount of beers.. I wouldn't have put myself in a situation to spin a cat out in the reeds.. I ain't in that big of a hurry, and I wouldn't endanger the other people in my boat to feed my ego. If I'm satan becuase I believe that accepting responsibillity is a STATE OF MIND, and not something that is negotiable (beer or no beer) then so be it..
In the meantime, you got Kilrtoy up on Havi stone cold sober, not accepting responsibillity for anything and taking part in actions that could've ended up just like this story.. But he was sober so I guess that makes it alright?
RD

707dog
08-06-2007, 02:28 PM
not good at all very sad...thats all i can say:(

Tom Brown
08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
As well this same board, has absolutely zero clue as to what happened, or what caused the accident. Hell to my knowledge they haven't even confirmed that alcohol was a contributing cause to the accident....
Good point, Dave.
It's important to go through the process and figure out, as level headed as we can, what really happened and then proceed to the task of trying to figure out if we could prevent it from happen again in the future.
The thing is, there have been a litany of tragic boating stories and they pretty much all involve drinking.... and I'm not just talking about a couple of sips of near-beer.
.... so let's wait for some sort of official report from this accident. Any bets on the results?
Your point on hypocrisy is well made and well taken. I've heard people say they've never driven after drinking, and how they think anyone who does is garbage, and they've said this a couple of days after I saw them drink while behind the wheel. I've often wondered if they don't see themselves or if they're outright liars.
Alcohol is not the only problem in society today. It is an extremely significant problem, though.

RiverDave
08-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Good point, Dave.
It's important to go through the process and figure out, as level headed as we can, what really happened and then proceed to the task of trying to figure out if we could prevent it from happen again in the future.
The thing is, there have been a litany of tragic boating stories and they pretty much all involve drinking.... and I'm not just talking about a couple of sips of near-beer.
.... so let's wait for some sort of official report from this accident. Any bets on the results?
Your point on hypocrisy is well made and well taken. I've heard people say they've never driven after drinking, and how they think anyone who does is garbage, and they've said this a couple of days after I saw them drink while behind the wheel. I've often wondered if they don't see themselves or if they're outright liars.
Alcohol is not the only problem in society today. It is an extremely significant problem, though.
Level headed and little girl dieing aren't exactly condusive to each other.. :( I feel terrible for their family, and I hope that whom ever was at fault for whatever gets what he deserves and then some.
I'll take a bet though.. I'll wager that if alcohol was a factor in this accident, then the current laws would've handled the situation had he been caught before the accident. I'll also wager that this will raise a campagne to lower the legal limit even further which would've done absolutely zero to help this, or the vast majority of other cases just like it.
Odds are the drunk guy, was really drunk is what I'm sayin.. A witch hunt on alcohol in gernal and legislation does nothing at this point, but hurt our lifestyle and sport, and take more responsibillities from ourselves, and place them in the hands of big brother.
RD

ULTRA26 # 1
08-06-2007, 02:50 PM
My response is in the B.A.D.D. thread

lauralue77
08-06-2007, 02:54 PM
This is absolutely devastating. I could only imagine. I have a 2 1/2 year old that I couldn't live without. We pray for the families involved in this terrible accident and esspecially the little girl who lost her life.
x.

lauralue77
08-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Level headed and little girl dieing aren't exactly condusive to each other.. :( I feel terrible for their family, and I hope that whom ever was at fault for whatever gets what he deserves and then some.
I'll take a bet though.. I'll wager that if alcohol was a factor in this accident, then the current laws would've handled the situation had he been caught before the accident. I'll also wager that this will raise a campagne to lower the legal limit even further which would've done absolutely zero to help this, or the vast majority of other cases just like it.
Odds are the drunk guy, was really drunk is what I'm sayin.. A witch hunt on alcohol in gernal and legislation does nothing at this point, but hurt our lifestyle and sport, and take more responsibillities from ourselves, and place them in the hands of big brother.
RD
x.

RiverDave
08-06-2007, 03:06 PM
yes the guy was drink...hes going to pay for killing my cousin
You are in my prayers lauralue. I hope justice is served swiftly to those who are at fault, and I hope your family finds peace in this trying time.
RD

ahhell
08-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Id like to express my extreme sorrow for the families involved... and for the young innocent life that was lost.
I work at the hospital that the young girl was brought to Saturday evening, and the ER was still in quite a somber mood this morning.
God bless this little one

Debbolas
08-06-2007, 03:22 PM
I am so sorry for you loss:(
This is just tragic

Daddy_G
08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
I have followed this thread all day and as a father of 4 girls - I cannot express the amount of grief I feel - for someone I'll never even know.
Whether you're sober, drinking or whatever... Please be careful on the water my friends - PLEASE!
Boating is a responsibility not just a privilege.
DG

Baja Big Dog
08-06-2007, 03:55 PM
This is a sad day for this little girl...
This is a sad day for her cousin.....
This is sad day for the families affected by this tragedy....
And it is a sad day for HOT BOATS, that some can turn THIS thread into name calling, and cross bitching...what a shame!!!
How bout the pissing get moved???

Sleeper CP
08-06-2007, 04:09 PM
And it is a sad day for HOT BOATS, that some can turn THIS thread into name calling, and cross bitching...what a shame!!!How bout the pissing get moved???
Ditto.
Jon

Biglue
08-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Please accept my condolences LauraLue. May God bless, help and grant your family find the calm and strength to overcome the loss of your cousin.
Louie.

lauralue77
08-06-2007, 04:25 PM
All of a sudden the whole bar gets quite and everyone is looking over the balcony. So two boats pull up. A cat deck boat with a sponson missing. And a 21' open bow(looked to be in tact).
The smaller boat pulls up to the gas dock, the people get out and lay a 6-8 yr old girl down on the dock. She is just pouring out excessive amounts of blood form her arm. Some say they saw a bone sticking out. From that point she appeared to be dead. They tried performing CPR on the girl on the dock and she was shooting blood out of her mouth. All of our hearts sunk when the other kids were brought up to the bar cyring and as people on the dock where in tears too. We poured out our drinks and left back up river. That had to be the worst thing I ever saw.
x.

J540
08-06-2007, 05:26 PM
It would be good to have more details. Going up river there at that time of day, the sun is low, and it can be tough to see oncoming traffic. I have to slow down and make sure I can see when we round that corner because of the sun. I once had to come to a complete stop just above there because of a young kid on a waverunner not paying attention. That section in late afternoon can be dangerous. I'd like to know what all the facts are that caused this horrific tragedy.
lauralue77, sorry to hear what you've been through. Stay strong.
You know how you are walking towards someone and they go their left and you go-to your right and then you both do the opposite and you run into each other, well that's kinda what happen. They both saw each other The driver of the deck boat (with lit, girl) turned first but the other guy turned the same way.
they were going up river right before the 5mph zone (Devils Elbow)
More info will come soon.
Laura
Iam so sorry to hear about Sara.
I got a call From Scott S and Brandon Sunday about the accident.
If we can help Please call. I will PM you my # or you can ask Dera.
Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your Family.

Miss Perfect
08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
you were there? when i pulled up in my jet ski i as shaking so hard i saw a TON of people standing up there. when i saw my cousin i fell and somone had to take my up the stairs to the resturant. my cousin was 10 and she was wonderful...just an hour before we were on the jetski sing her favorite song
I am so sorry Lauralue. I cannot imagine what you must have gone through watching that all happen. I am sure it has aged you beyond your years. My condolances to you and your family.

River Lynchmob
08-06-2007, 05:29 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family in this tragic time.
May justice be served swiftly to those responsible for this tragedy.

THOR
08-06-2007, 05:56 PM
You know how you are walking towards someone and they go their left and you go-to your right and then you both do the opposite and you run into each other, well that's kinda what happen. They both saw each other The driver of the deck boat (with lit, girl) turned first but the other guy turned the same way.
they were going up river right before the 5mph zone (Devils Elbow)
More info will come soon.
Laura
Iam so sorry to hear about Sara.
I got a call From Scott S and Brandon Sunday about the accident.
If we can help Please call. I will PM you my # or you can ask Dera.
Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your Family.
J540,
you saw this?

Seadog
08-06-2007, 05:57 PM
A young life is gone, and a lot of people are in hell right now. I have to wonder how anyone can think that a few drinks are worth that. There is only one reason for most of these accidents. It is because some people cannot get over being stupid. I am not about to tell people that they are not intitled to drink, but I hope to heck that they do not operate anything that requires their attention.
May the family and friends of this poor little girl find some peace in their lives. And may the thought of this tragedy prevent at least one future accident from happening.

PaPaG
08-06-2007, 06:08 PM
And it is a sad day for HOT BOATS, that some can turn THIS thread into name calling, and cross bitching...what a shame!!!
How bout the pissing get moved???
100% behind what you are saying...what a sad day for this poor little girl and her family...lets keep the other comments out of this and all of HB give your heart felt thoughts to the family :(

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
My condolences to the whole family involved!!!!!!
This is such a hard thing to think about having 2 children myself....8 and 13 years old......... I don't know what i would do or how i would feel if i had to be here with them gone!!!!!!!!
I feel so bad for this family.........that words can't even begin to spell it out!!!!!
I am so sorry Sara..................
I am soooo sorry to you also LauraLou.........what you must be going through with your own emotions not to mention all the emotions going on around you.......my heart goes out to you and Sara...........and all of your family!!!!!!!:(

RiverDave
08-06-2007, 06:13 PM
100% behind what you are saying...what a sad day for this poor little girl and her family...lets keep the other comments out of this and all of HB give your heart felt thoughts to the family :(
I agree 100%
RD

AZJD
08-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I have followed this thread all day and as a father of 4 girls - I cannot express the amount of grief I feel - for someone I'll never even know.
Whether you're sober, drinking or whatever... Please be careful on the water my friends - PLEASE!
Boating is a responsibility not just a privilege.
DG
Just to lighten the mood around here, I am gonna go ahead and grieve for you Daddy_G...... 4 GIRLS!:eek: Good luck buddy. I have one and i am scared shitless....

Wet Dream
08-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Why did lauralue delete all of her posts? Was that a real family member?

shippingguy
08-06-2007, 06:38 PM
I did notice she said she was 16 in one of her first posts. You have to be at least 18 on this site right? Maybe the moderators had to step in.
Very sad for her loss:(
Mike

AZJD
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Probably at the request of her family members, or she came to her senses... Probably not a good idea to throw accusations around a public forum, (true or not) when someone was fataly injured until the police release their findings.

Wet Dream
08-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Probably at the request of her family members, or she came to her senses... Probably not a good idea to throw accusations around a public forum, (true or not) when someone was fataly injured until the police release their findings.
I was hoping that wa the reason and not someone trying to keep the drama going.

tcook33
08-06-2007, 06:50 PM
She kept saying that "the guy that killed my cousin is going to pay". Probably not the best thing to be writing in a public forum. Maybe the lawyer caught wind of it and told her to delete them.....
This is terrible news and I couldnt imagine. Godspeed.

AZJD
08-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I was hoping that wa the reason and not someone trying to keep the drama going.
This is a sad deal. Makes you think.......
Drama shouldn't even be brought in here. Pay your respects to a young life that didn't have to end yet!
I am sad today, and have called my ex-wife and asked to see my daughter early this week.
It's made me think about what's important in life.

lanaznana
08-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Laura is my niece. I was given this website by my niece & her husband. (Laura's older sister.) Obviously Laura is extremely tramatized and needed a way to express what she is feeling. What she saw can never be unseen. And losing someone you are close to is more than devastating. For anyone, let alone a teenager. So, yes, please pray for Sara's parents and the family to be stong enough to get through this, as well as the recovery of the others injured, and for all of the emotional turmoil they are all going through. Thank you so much for your support.
And by the way, the other driver was intoxicated and was arrested.

Miss Jackie
08-06-2007, 07:22 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to this poor little girl and her family.
God Bless you little Sara...:( :(

mike37
08-06-2007, 07:23 PM
prayers for the family

jbone
08-06-2007, 07:53 PM
This sitiuation hit me very hard. It still is.
Some have argued that we have rushed to judgement as to whether alcohol was involved. To be honest, at this point it doesn't matter. Someone could come and say this was a fictional story to make us see the light. IT DID.
I also said I was going to keep the article to show other boaters, (drivers). My hopes are that it hits them like it hit me and they will stop drinking when they are operating or will operate a boat.
I support all of the ideas mentioned in regards to shirts and other things mentioned. I'd like to add canopy covers with the B.A.D.D. logo and a meeningful phrase to the list of things to spread the word. They are large and can be seen far away. It won't be cheep, but probably one of the most visible ways to spread the word. I would buy 2.
As far as those complaining about personal rights, if removing alcohol takes away your ability to have fun on the river, SELL YOUR BOAT.

Mrs. Jyruiz
08-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I am so sorry for the family of this precious child. This is what makes me so angry. I don't understand how people can be so stupid. It pisses me off when I see people drinking on a boat when there are children on board. I really ticks me off when I see both parents drinking. Do they not realize what they are doing? Is drinking and partying more important than the lives of their children? I am so blown away when I see this. How on earth does anybody see this as ok? We are all adults and should have common sense. Partying is great, but not at the expense of children. Sorry if I offend, but the death of this child was completely avoidable.

INI
08-06-2007, 08:39 PM
i just talked to my river peeps who are really good friends with Mike (neighbors). As you might not know mike insures alot of the big boats out at the river that most of you own and is in a place in his life he never wanted thought he would be...Please respect everyones wishes...
This is a time to remember your loved ones....ANYONE reading this now that has little ones (OR BIG ONES) make sure you tell them you love them...
This whole thing is VERY SAD...

sheba144
08-06-2007, 08:46 PM
I was also on the boat with Sarah.... Laura, you are our family blood or not. We will get through this together as a family.... I love you....
Thank you everyone for you kind words and the thoughts and desires to form an organization... Please remember her.... understand that drinking and driving is wrong and will change peoples lives forever....
None of us will ever forget Sarah nor what happened out on the lake.... Thank God for those that were on the boat that were saved.....

Havasu1986
08-06-2007, 08:50 PM
I was also on the boat with Sarah.... Laura, you are our family blood or not. We will get through this together as a family.... I love you....
Thank you everyone for you kind words and the thoughts and desires to form an organization... Please remember her.... understand that drinking and driving is wrong and will change peoples lives forever....
None of us will ever forget Sarah nor what happened out on the lake.... Thank God for those that were on the boat that were saved.....
Sheba...So sorry for your loss. :( Can you tell us what exactly hapened. :confused:

slowinhavasu
08-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Sara....RIP..............

Goad
08-06-2007, 09:20 PM
...speachless...
:(

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
08-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Laura is my niece. I was given this website by my niece & her husband. (Laura's older sister.) Obviously Laura is extremely tramatized and needed a way to express what she is feeling. What she saw can never be unseen. And losing someone you are close to is more than devastating. For anyone, let alone a teenager. So, yes, please pray for Sara's parents and the family to be stong enough to get through this, as well as the recovery of the others injured, and for all of the emotional turmoil they are all going through. Thank you so much for your support.
And by the way, the other driver was intoxicated and was arrested.
sheba144
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the both of you..........I am so sorry you have to go through any of this..........our condolences to the familys involved .........blood or not...........you should not ever have to go through such a thing!!!!!!!!

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
08-06-2007, 09:49 PM
My condolences to Sara's family and friends.[QUOTE=
As far as those complaining about personal rights, if removing alcohol takes away your ability to have fun on the river, SELL YOUR BOAT.[/QUOTE]
WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!

Chipster27
08-06-2007, 10:11 PM
God Speed Sara.
We all go to the lake for one thing, rest, relaxation, fun and friendship. If anyone is like me you start thinking about your next trip as you wrap up your last. As the week progresses you start thinking about the fun, seeing friends, spending time in the sun, playing on the water all day and relaxing at night.
I'm sure Sara, her family and friends all shared the same love for the water and just as we do, they probably all looked forward to the weekend with each passing day and on the day they headed out they grew more excited with each passing mile. This is no way for the story to end.
Condolences to her family and friends.

topless
08-07-2007, 12:51 AM
I couldn't read this entire thread because I kept crying. My kids are a little older (17 and 15) but I still worry every single day about them and couldn't imagine something like this. My son is at the river right now and is only a little north of Blythe so there isn't much traffic but I still worry.
Godspeed to you Sara darling little girl and your family. We will all see you one day soon and in the meantime, just look down from Heaven at us and know we love you and will be there with you soon.
Your HB family that you haven't met yet

BILLY.B
08-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Not sure if you remember the incident that happened a few years back where a boat with 8 people onboard ran into the 40/Topac Bridge at 4am and several people were killed?!?!? That was a bunch of friends of mine with the driver being a model citizen and first time offender of OUI or DUI. He got 10 years in prison for the stupid decision he made. The worst part about this is his best friend was one of the deceased and he has to deal with that for the rest of his life. You know Dan you & I could debate this all day long but for the sake of all the families involved I won't go there. But my statement is a true fact of a deal that happened that took 3 lives and seriously injured another. So with that said let me ask you a ? Dan. Just how long should a person serve for making a life altering decision to drive a boat while heavily intocacated that claims the lives of several people?. If your the parent of one of those people there is no time limit...PERIOD!!!!

lanaznana
08-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Sheba...So sorry for your loss. :( Can you tell us what exactly hapened. :confused:
I don't think that Sheba or anyone else who was on the boat is ready to give details. I'm sure if she can, or needs to talk about it, she will. I will say, (as told to me by my niece), and as briefly as possible without details of physical injury, that Sara and her father were camping with family and close friends. They were traveling in 2 boats and a jetski, coming back from being out for quite awhile. The jetski in front, the boat with Sara and Sheba next, and the boat with Sara's father in back. The boat that hit them was driven by a man who was drunk, driving "about 50" (I don't know what that equates to in knots) and on the wrong side of the river. I was told that my family's boat swerved the correct way, but that the other driver also swerved in that direction. We all know that when even a few drinks are involved, "thinking quick" and "clear" is just not going to happen. Maybe if he was sober he could have reacted differently and a) stayed on his side of the river, and b) if still on the wrong side of the river, could have swerved the correct way to avoid the other boat.
Sheba, I'm so sorry you and evryone in the group had to go through this. I'm praying for you, too.

DaBigRed1
08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Truely devastating...thoughts, LOVE and prayers to the families and friends affected by this.

lauralue77
08-07-2007, 10:05 AM
i want to thank everyone for all your kind words...we all know we are in everyones prayers. my family is trying hard to get through this..all you can do is pray. again my contact is lauralue77@yahoo.com

lanaznana
08-07-2007, 02:05 PM
My sister-in-law just called. She said that she drove my nephew up from the airport and everyone is keeping busy putting together a slide show and just talking about memories they each have. They'll get through this.
Well, she mainly wanted to let me know that Sara's funeral will be this Friday, the 10th, at Cornerstone Community Church in Wildomar, CA.
And as Laura just said, the family really appreciates your prayers. Thank you so much.

HefeRaton
08-07-2007, 02:43 PM
This is truly sad and just unbelievable. God speed Sara! and just all the thoughts and prayers to the family. Stay strong and stick together during these tough times and just know that there is a huge boating family out there with you guys in their prayers.

AZJD
08-07-2007, 04:35 PM
My sister-in-law just called. She said that she drove my nephew up from the airport and everyone is keeping busy putting together a slide show and just talking about memories they each have. They'll get through this.
Well, she mainly wanted to let me know that Sara's funeral will be this Friday, the 10th, at Cornerstone Community Church in Wildomar, CA.
And as Laura just said, the family really appreciates your prayers. Thank you so much.
Is there some way we (Hot Boat friends and family) can send flowers or donations for Sara's family?

DeathFlightMedic
08-07-2007, 04:41 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautifull little girl. There are no words that can be said to describe the sorrow that surrounds your family and freinds at this point, and the rage we all feel for the one who chose to drive even though he knew he had had too much. Just know we keep you in our prayers and her in our hearts, and that I did all I could to keep her with us just a while longer.
Be brave and strong, and for everyone else, remember don't drink and drive for you often hurt more than just yourself.

Biglue
08-07-2007, 04:46 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautifull little girl. There are no words that can be said to describe the sorrow that surrounds your family and freinds at this point, and the rage we all feel for the one who chose to drive even though he knew he had had too much. Just know we keep you in our prayers and her in our hearts, and that I did all I could to keep her with us just a while longer.
Be brave and strong, and for everyone else, remember don't drink and drive for you often hurt more than just yourself.
This post just hit home with me too.
Just know we're all greatfull you guys are around. Thank you very much. Hope the big guy upstairs keeps you guys in his grace.

Daytona100
08-07-2007, 05:23 PM
I,m speechless. I am sorry for your loss. Godspeed. Mike

Charley
08-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Unbelievably sad.... I am floored .... There is nothing worse than an innocent Child dying :(
RIP little Angel

FastTimmy
08-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Saturday was the saddest day of my life.
I was at Topoc for lunch when this all happened. It was just me, Shawnea (My daughter) and her friend with me that day on the water... Both of them are 14 years old . We had just spent the day at the sandbar with Rocky, Kilertoy, and Babaloo. Killer being the DD! Props man...
The kids had just walked up the plank and gone threw the gate when the first boat came in. It was a jet boat with a hole family on it. I had got that they had picked her up out of the water and hauled straight to the gas dock.. CPR was started. I think it was the boat the Dad was on.
The tragedy out side was terrible but the scene in the restaurant was heart breaking. All of the other kids and parents involved made it in and where horribly distraught. I witnessed many acts of kindness that day by total strangers. But at the same time have never seen so many people in shock.
So much happened, It's still all messed up in my head. I will try to give more later.. I will try this again later... I tried yesterday to post on it I just can't...
There was also a little girl that had Downs Syndrome and was quit shaken. I believe she was on the v-boat. Not the deck boat that Sara was on..
Timmy

The Margiotta family
08-07-2007, 07:00 PM
This is the family of Sara Margiotta. First off, we'd like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. We need them now more than ever. We've been amazed to see the outreach from people on here that we don't even know. We've set up a myspace page for all the friends and family to post comments. Please visit www.myspace.com/saramargiotta We're open to ideas that will help us keep our little girl's memory and spirit alive. We know that good can, and will come from this tragedy. We saw an idea about wearing certain t-shirts to show awareness of the growing problem of drinking and driving. We loved this idea, and look for more to come. Soon, we will have a website up and running, saramargiotta.org where you can view information, and sign Sara's guestbook. Thank you all again so much. Keep praying for us through this difficult time. God bless.

topless
08-07-2007, 07:15 PM
This is the family of Sara Margiotta. First off, we'd like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. We need them now more than ever. We've been amazed to see the outreach from people on here that we don't even know. We've set up a myspace page for all the friends and family to post comments. Please visit www.myspace.com/saramargiotta We're open to ideas that will help us keep our little girl's memory and spirit alive. We know that good can, and will come from this tragedy. We saw an idea about wearing certain t-shirts to show awareness of the growing problem of drinking and driving. We loved this idea, and look for more to come. Soon, we will have a website up and running, saramargiotta.org where you can view information, and sign Sara's guestbook. Thank you all again so much. Keep praying for us through this difficult time. God bless.God bless you all. I can't type right now because of the tears but you all are in my prayers. Having children myself makes it even harder to read. Rest in Peace little one.
Ali

westcoastcat
08-07-2007, 07:36 PM
So sorry for Sara and the family.

INI
08-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Saturday was the saddest day of my life.
I was at Topoc for lunch when this all happened. It was just me, Shawnea (My daughter) and her friend with me that day on the water... Both of them are 14 years old . We had just spent the day at the sandbar with Rocky, Kilertoy, and Babaloo. Killer being the DD! Props man...
The kids had just walked up the plank and gone threw the gate when the first boat came in. It was a jet boat with a hole family on it. I had got that they had picked her up out of the water and hauled straight to the gas dock.. CPR was started. I think it was the boat the Dad was on.
The tragedy out side was terrible but the scene in the restaurant was heart breaking. All of the other kids and parents involved made it in and where horribly distraught. I witnessed many acts of kindness that day by total strangers. But at the same time have never seen so many people in shock.
So much happened, It's still all messed up in my head. I will try to give more later.. I will try this again later... I tried yesterday to post on it I just can't...
[QUOTE=FastTimmy;2719722]Saturday was the saddest day of my life.
There was also a little girl that had Downs Syndrome and was quit shaken. I believe she was on the v-boat. Not the deck boat that Sara was on..
Timmy
That was mikes daughter....Gettting goose bumps talking about this...

Dream Chaser
08-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Been reading this post since the beginning. My kids have grown up at the river for the last 18 years and my oldest daughter and 2 grandchildren now live in Havasu, it really hits close to home how quickly life's can change. I can not even begin to imagine what you must be going through at this time. Our prayers are with you, may God grant you strength.

24sleekenforcer
08-07-2007, 08:43 PM
My condolences to Sara's family and friends,so sad. Prayers sent.

BigDoug
08-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I just viewed Sarah's "myspace" and tears immediately flowed for such a young life to be takin. God bless to your family !!!!!.................Doug

Moneypitt
08-07-2007, 09:19 PM
I hope they hang this fu*K out to dry. I wonder which state he will be charged in? When will people learn. At this point I'd actually like to see alcolhol banned on the river completly. I think we would not have all these drunk assholes out causing all the "near misses" we always read about here, along with the tragic accidents that do occur all to often here also.:mad:
That could make the problem worse. Just think about all the stuff we did as kids because it wasn't allowed. Making it illegal on the river won't stop the drunks, just force them underground.....
[QUOTE=phebus;2715875]T-shirts would be great, but pamphlets handed out at launch ramp facilities would provide information that would hopefully make an individual make the right decision and boat sober.
The Coast Guard has lots of hand outs about boating laws and safety, but you can't regulate common sense and respect for others
So sorry to hear of this young life cut so short, thoughts to the family and friends.......Ray

FastTimmy
08-07-2007, 09:49 PM
That was mikes daughter....Gettting goose bumps talking about this...
Was mike the guy in the V? How was his people?

mbrown2
08-07-2007, 10:01 PM
This is the family of Sara Margiotta. First off, we'd like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. We need them now more than ever. We've been amazed to see the outreach from people on here that we don't even know. We've set up a myspace page for all the friends and family to post comments. Please visit www.myspace.com/saramargiotta We're open to ideas that will help us keep our little girl's memory and spirit alive. We know that good can, and will come from this tragedy. We saw an idea about wearing certain t-shirts to show awareness of the growing problem of drinking and driving. We loved this idea, and look for more to come. Soon, we will have a website up and running, saramargiotta.org where you can view information, and sign Sara's guestbook. Thank you all again so much. Keep praying for us through this difficult time. God bless.
My condolences and prayers go out to you and the family; may you have the strength to carry on her memory and share it with those who will never get to meet her forever...

Magic34
08-07-2007, 11:03 PM
This is absolutely horrible. I am so sorry for your loss and pray for your family. This is my biggest fear in life, I could not deal with the pain.
God bless you.

RiverPirate
08-07-2007, 11:04 PM
RIP Sara. Godbless you and your family. We were on a beach down river and just around the bend all afternoon with families and friends. Both my son and daughter had friends along with them on this trip and we all saw the first SO boat go by rolling code and later saw two more heading up river. I can't express the sadness that I feel for your family and I know that this has changed my outlook on the whole Havasu boating experience that I have enjoyed for the past 20 plus years.
RP

uLtRADeNniS
08-07-2007, 11:31 PM
What time will the funeral take place?

Quest4Fun
08-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Any word on the other persons injured in this accident? I read on another site that one woman was thrown 40 feet from the boat and was seriously injured, but refused treatment until Sara was taken care of first. Any word on her?

lanaznana
08-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Is there some way we (Hot Boat friends and family) can send flowers or donations for Sara's family?
I will give them a call (I'm stuck in Atlanta) and make sure they see this, so that they can reply. Thanks again.

THOR
08-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Any word on the other persons injured in this accident? I read on another site that one woman was thrown 40 feet from the boat and was seriously injured, but refused treatment until Sara was taken care of first. Any word on her?
What other site?

pixilatedpussy
08-08-2007, 09:02 AM
OMG! I can't even imagine...this brings tears to my eyes...any info, so I dont have to search a million posts?

Quest4Fun
08-08-2007, 09:02 AM
http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2007/08/06/news/news03.txt
This one...scroll down to the comments.

pixilatedpussy
08-08-2007, 09:07 AM
:mad: :mad: :( Is your cocktail or beer that important people????????????????

pixilatedpussy
08-08-2007, 09:09 AM
http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2007/08/06/news/news03.txt
This one...scroll down to the comments.
Thankyou....this is just so sad & more than likely could've been avoided if people would save the freakin partyin for later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(