PDA

View Full Version : Rhino, Ranger, or Rail???

Outnumbered
08-05-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm shopping for a family-hauler desert toy since the wife injured her shoulder and the doc says no more quading for her (plus she never rode much anyway). She seems to be interested in the Ranger and I think it would be a good way to get the family out there and ride. I fit best in the Ranger for my size. The Rhino feels cramped to me. I'm also concerned about the small Rhino back seat for my growing kids (7 and 12 y/o).
I think we will be doing mostly high country (Big Bear/Flagstaff type) riding in the summer with an occasional dune trip and some occasional local desert riding in winter.
Anyway, I have found some real nice 4-seat rails in the same price range as a tricked out Rhino/Ranger. I know the Rhino is the fad but the rail seems like so much more car for the $$. I have ruled out a Jeep because of weight/size (toy box transport) issues and ride quality. I have had a Jeep and it was good times but the ride is too rough for Mrs. Out#.
So, let's hear your opinions. What should I buy? I will listen to all sides and suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

02HoWaRd26
08-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Rhino, all you have to do is drive them both and you will see. If you buy the Ranger be sure never to drive a rhino or you will be very upset....

OGShocker
08-06-2007, 04:53 AM
I'm shopping for a family-hauler desert toy since the wife injured her shoulder and the doc says no more quading for her (plus she never rode much anyway). She seems to be interested in the Ranger and I think it would be a good way to get the family out there and ride. I fit best in the Ranger for my size. The Rhino feels cramped to me. I'm also concerned about the small Rhino back seat for my growing kids (7 and 12 y/o).
I think we will be doing mostly high country (Big Bear/Flagstaff type) riding in the summer with an occasional dune trip and some occasional local desert riding in winter.
Anyway, I have found some real nice 4-seat rails in the same price range as a tricked out Rhino/Ranger. I know the Rhino is the fad but the rail seems like so much more car for the $$. I have ruled out a Jeep because of weight/size (toy box transport) issues and ride quality. I have had a Jeep and it was good times but the ride is too rough for Mrs. Out#.
So, let's hear your opinions. What should I buy? I will listen to all sides and suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
I own both (one Rhino and two Rangers) and for the places you want to go I would choose the Ranger. A rail will not be much fun on some of the trails near Big Bear.
My plus' and minus' are:
+Ranger - Fuel Injected (no dicking with jets) Much more stable out of the box. Hard to "kill".
- Ranger - Less aftermarket blingy stuff. Styling. Won't fit in the bed of a pick-up truck.
+Rhino - Lots of add-ons to make them as cool as you can afford. You can load it up in your truck and go for a day ride.
- Rhino - Slower top end speed, less cargo area. VERY unstable in stock configuration. $300.00 battery kit or stator rewind to add a good set of lights.
These are just my brief thoughts. Here is a link (http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Ranger/2008Navigation/700Series/XP/Comparison.htm) to show you some side by sides.
Good luck!
PS if you wanna by my rhino... PM me...:D j/k

RiverRatMike
08-06-2007, 05:09 AM
I own both (one Rhino and two Rangers) and for the places you want to go I would choose the Ranger. A rail will not be much fun on some of the trails near Big Bear.
My plus' and minus' are:
+Ranger - Fuel Injected (no dicking with jets) Much more stable out of the box. Hard to "kill".
- Ranger - Less aftermarket blingy stuff. Styling. Won't fit in the bed of a pick-up truck.
+Rhino - Lots of add-ons to make them as cool as you can afford. You can load it up in your truck and go for a day ride.
- Rhino - Slower top end speed, less cargo area. VERY unstable in stock configuration. $300.00 battery kit or stator rewind to add a good set of lights.
These are just my brief thoughts. Here is a link (http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Ranger/2008Navigation/700Series/XP/Comparison.htm) to show you some side by sides.
Good luck!
PS if you wanna by my rhino... PM me...:D j/k
what?
slower top-end speed. My 06 Rhino with CDI upgrade, does 55mph and you don't need to dick with the jets. :confused: Rangers have clutch belt problems also, I'd stay away from Polaris

revndave
08-06-2007, 06:08 AM
We like the Ranger for the room.Both are good.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/686HPIM0489.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/HPIM0576.JPG

OGShocker
08-06-2007, 06:23 AM
what?
slower top-end speed. My 06 Rhino with CDI upgrade, does 55mph and you don't need to dick with the jets. :confused: Rangers have clutch belt problems also, I'd stay away from Polaris
Big Bear altitudes reach 7000 feet. Any "carb" motor would require "tweeking" to get the proper air/fuel ratio.
Out of the box the Ranger is 10 MPH faster. You can make a brick haul ass with enough cash.
Although the Ranger is proun to belt failure when taken over big jumps, as a trail UTV, they are quite reliable. I have over 300 hours on my XP in Canada and have had ZERO problems. Those people who know me know I am anything but kind to my equipment. :D

Not So Fast
08-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks in advance.
Well if you decide on a Rhino I have a really clean 07 Sport for sale and its never been off road, it's in the spam section. My thoughts on the back seat and kids is that it's not too smart to load such valuable cargo in a back seat that wasnt supposed to be there anyway and above the center of gravity which makes them unsafe, JMO. :idea: NSF

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. No votes for rail, huh?
A few things I have learned doing some research:
1. The Rhino will not fit in the back of my SB truck.
2. Rhino with spacers is just as wide as a stock Ranger--about 5'. Both are about 10' long.
3. The Polaris belt issue was caused by a batch of bad motor mounts from the factory that were miss-alligned. This issue should be an easy fix if I buy used or non-issue if I buy new.
4. I'm too tall for the Rhino and I get a kink in my leg driving it because the gas pedal is in an odd position.

riverbound
08-06-2007, 08:38 AM
what?
Ummmm...you might want to get your facts straight, the only problems the Rangers HAD were in sand. they have since changed the belt compound and have had no problems. they offer the new belt for sale and everyone I know that went to the new belt has not seen one problem ;) Having lots of experience with Both. I would say the room and the EFI of the Ranger are huge benefits. the fact the Rhino fits in a truck and looks better are also nice benefits to some. They ALL have their Quirks. The fun part is finding out which one best fits your needs.
And the Razor in stock form will smoke even heavily modded Rhinos. I went down and watched a demo on a dirtbike track where Polaris invited quite a few aftermarket Rhino companies down to run againt a stock razor......the razor was lapping some of the Rhinos ;)

Glamasu
08-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Outnumbered,
What is your intended use?
Trails in big bear?...= Rhino,Ranger
Dessert, sand,with the "family" = Rail , Longtravel rail if you have the means.
I have played with the rhino a little ...I would love to have one as a toy. But I wouldn't give up my long travel rail for one...
Rail gives comfort and safety.....
Its kinda like the the river .......Rhino , ranger= Lake lice
Sandrail = Boat
Which do you want to be???

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Outnumbered,
I have played with the rhino a little ...I would love to have one as a toy. But I wouldn't give up my long travel rail for one...
Sandrail = Boat
I can't justify a long-travel rail but a nice mid-travel is in the budget. You make some good points that I have considered and some of which lead me to start this thread. Thanks.

OutCole'd
08-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Outnumbered,
Sandrail = Boat
Totally agree with this. I have a Rhino and love it, lots of fun. I'm sure the Ranger is every bit as fun, no doubt.
I want a rail for the desert not for this season, but definately by the next.

Brewzed
08-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Depends on what you want to spend. Can't go wrong with a long travel rail.
If on more of a budget I would go Rhino over the Ranger if you are going to go with full cage & backseat. If it is just going to be yourself or yourself plus 1, I'd go with the new RZR w/ a long travel kit. I have a long travel rhino and I'm getting ready to build a long travel RZR. Just waiting for the RZR to come in.

djunkie
08-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Why not get a jeep? :confused: :confused: If your worried about your kids outgrowing the backseat of a Ranger or Rhino then I would think a Jeep is your best bet.

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Why not get a jeep? :confused: :confused: If your worried about your kids outgrowing the backseat of a Ranger or Rhino then I would think a Jeep is your best bet.
Refer to post #1--ride and size/weight:D
Actually, I had a TJ and the leg room in back is worse than the Ranger.

prkr247
08-06-2007, 09:11 AM
I can't justify a long-travel rail but a nice mid-travel is in the budget. You make some good points that I have considered and some of which lead me to start this thread. Thanks.
Have you every looked at a mid-travel Dual sport sandcar. I believe this is the best of both worlds. You can dune with the best of them and then you can drive it California Street Legal during the off months or take it and hit the dirt trails. For money to value rate this will be a toy you can use all year long.

Eliminator 4 Life
08-06-2007, 09:12 AM
If I was you I would wait awhile there is the new Kawasaki coming out and there is talk of a new rhino coming out. Im waiting to see both:D

OutCole'd
08-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Have you every looked at a mid-travel Dual sport sandcar. I believe this is the best of both worlds. You can dune with the best of them and then you can drive it California Street Legal during the off months or take it and hit the dirt trails. For money to value rate this will be a toy you can use all year long.
Where is a good site to search for something like this used?

Mrs. 20
08-06-2007, 09:14 AM
I am glad you posted this thread.
We have decided on the Ranger ourselves. Fits the kids better, and I just plain like it better. It will fit in our Toy Hauler Garage too.
Hey rhino owners, do you find that your rhinos tip over a lot? I am asking because we just heard that a friend of ours who moved to Dewey 2 weeks ago just had a major accident in his family, and they are blaming it on the Rhino. Tell me what you think.
They were letting a 10 year old kid drive it with his 10 year old friend alone. Parents were no where near them. I guess it had rolled the day before when their 11 year old was driving it.
Anyways, so the kids is alone, and the rhino rolled. He was strapped in, but the roll cage rolled over his forearm and detached his hand.:eek: I am not kidding. The little boy had to walk home screaming with his hand to get help. Now he has been at St Joes for 4 days, waiting to see if the reattachment would keep.
So anyways, they are blaming it on the Rhino being "so unstable". I tend to think that a 10 year old shouldn't be driving one, especially alone. My husband says they are lucky that they were not arrested for child endangerment. What do you think.:idea:
Meg

prkr247
08-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Where is a good site to search for something like this used?
There are a couple sites I know of: Dune Buggy.Com and Autotrader under Manx. Both of these sites usually have one or two for sale. Dejong has long travel (monster)Manx, you may try them for used as well.
We don't have any used one's for sale right now, but at OC Sandcars we do have rolling chassis ready for your choice of motor, colors, etc.

TOBTEK
08-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Depending on your family's off road needs and wants, you MIGHT want to think about fixing up a old Suzuki samurai. My father in law just bought a CHERRY one for 700.00. He has budgeted for the rear end to be re geared, new interior work, big stereo. He will have about 5000.00 into it total. Its 50 state street legal. LEGAL for the kids in the back seat...and HALF of a stock Rhino or compeditor.....JUST A THOUGHT.

Glamasu
08-06-2007, 09:29 AM
We have decided on the Ranger ourselves. Fits the kids better, and I just plain like it better. It will fit in our Toy Hauler Garage too.
Hey rhino owners, do you find that your rhinos tip over a lot? I am asking because we just heard that a friend of ours who moved to Dewey 2 weeks ago just had a major accident in his family, and they are blaming it on the Rhino. Tell me what you think.
They were letting a 10 year old kid drive it with his 10 year old friend alone. Parents were no where near them. I guess it had rolled the day before when their 11 year old was driving it.
Anyways, so the kids is alone, and the rhino rolled. He was strapped in, but the roll cage rolled over his forearm and detached his hand.:eek: I am not kidding. The little boy had to walk home screaming with his hand to get help. Now he has been at St Joes for 4 days, waiting to see if the reattachment would keep.
So anyways, they are blaming it on the Rhino being "so unstable". I tend to think that a 10 year old shouldn't be driving one, especially alone. My husband says they are lucky that they were not arrested for child endangerment. What do you think.:idea:
Meg
I see a pattern here.
Again.....Where is the thought process here....Why does Yamaha have to be responsible for Ignorant parents?
I don't see the problem with letting children drive the toys....As long as Dad is sitting next to them!!!!
You know that accident started with the boy saying " Hey dude watch this"
Just like cutting you 10yr old loose on the jetski, they get tunnel vision and loose awareness of what is around them and ahead of them.....Problably was so intune with what was 10ft in front of him that he never saw the obstacle that sent him over.
Not to say that a rail or jeep or whatever would have faired any better but you problably not gonna cut a 10yr old loose with his buddy in a 70+k dollar toy.

djunkie
08-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Meg
In all honesty, NO. I have had my Rhino is some crazy places and never got close to it rolling. Plain and simple you have to phuck up pretty bad to get it to roll.
Now I will say this, I don't believe a Rhino should be used as a 4 seater. I think it in its 2 seat configuration is the best. Now as for the kids rolling the Rhinos, well, don't let kids drive. Most kids don't have the experience to operate a machine like these in any technical terrain. Cruising around a campsite is one thing but letting a kid take one offroad or out in the dunes is stupid in my opinion.

The Doctor
08-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Rhino, all you have to do is drive them both and you will see. If you buy the Ranger be sure never to drive a rhino or you will be very upset....
I'll respectfully disagree. You can modify these slightly and have ample power as we did and the family actually fits in the ranger unlike the rhino. Ah yes, the fuel injection is the way to go as has been stated.
http://drdirt.net/ranger.jpg

Brewzed
08-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Meg
I bet that same 10 year old kid would have rolled a Ranger just as easy. The cage on the Ranger could just as easy take a limb off. I have a long travel kit on my rhino and haven't rolled it yet. I'm sure if my 17 year old son was driving it, I'm sure he could put it on it's side. I have seen just as many Rangers as Rhinos on their side & tops. I think the parents are to blame for the kids getting hurt driving them. There were a couple kids that died last year, because the weren't wearing seatbelts. They weren't wearing seatbeats, because they couldn't reach the pedals.
Bottom line is they are all unstable stock. They are utility vehicles, not quads. The long travel helps out alot, I wouldn't own one without it. In order to make them a true (even that's a stretch) offroad toy, more then just a trail rider, you have to dump a lot of money into them. I just had the arm restraints installed on mine. They attach to the harness to keep you arm from flying out in case you roll. The most unstable one I've ever been in is a stock RZR.

OutCole'd
08-06-2007, 09:49 AM
I'll respectfully disagree. You can modify these slightly and have ample power as we did and the family actually fits in the ranger unlike the rhino. Ah yes, the fuel injection is the way to go as has been stated.
http://drdirt.net/ranger.jpg
Damn, I bet that thing hauls ass.

Magic34
08-06-2007, 10:13 AM
The Rhino is much more comfortable to drive. The pedal position on the Ranger is not desirable to me.
Here is an idea. Instead of going custom on a Rhino/Ranger, find 2 nice used Rhinos for sale. Now you have a lot more fun. You can drive 1, while the wife dries the other. All the while, both kids are in the front seat safe. You can also drive them on the street.
If you want to go custom, you can always add mods to 1 of them as time goes on. The wife doesn't need the trick stuff. :)
If I had a 12 y/o, they are not going into the back of either. I have a few years before she hits 10.

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 10:31 AM
The Rhino is much more comfortable to drive. The pedal position on the Ranger is not desirable to me.
Here is an idea. Instead of going custom on a Rhino/Ranger, find 2 nice used Rhinos for sale. Now you have a lot more fun. You can drive 1, while the wife dries the other. All the while, both kids are in the front seat safe. You can also drive them on the street.
If you want to go custom, you can always add mods to 1 of them as time goes on. The wife doesn't need the trick stuff. :)
If I had a 12 y/o, they are not going into the back of either. I have a few years before she hits 10.Thanks for the input. What was up with that Ranger you had for sale on GD.com?

2Driver
08-06-2007, 11:07 AM
John,
We had the 4 seater Rhino all of 3 weeks. For 2 adults plus 2 kids it sucks. It's cramped, top heavy and little room for any supplies. Gee do we take water or a spare tire I can’t decide :) IMO none of the UTV's are decent for your family and what you want to do. We are looking to pick up another 2 seater RZR or Rhino but it is only going to be to take the kid to the bus stop and plunk around in.
Some of the rails out there are decent for dual purpose but do your home work on suspensions, trans, and makers. You don’t seem like a guy who likes maintenance so I am wondering what you are doing looking at rails? Anyway there were some nice dual sport chenowths out there when I was looking. You should also swing over for lunch and get a tour of Revenge Racings place in Deer valley. They are the guys that make the Sidewinder cars. Justin owns the place and you can learn a lot just going in to kick tires. After you do your homework you will laugh at some of the ads that claim to be so called dual sport.

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 11:39 AM
John,
We had the 4 seater Rhino all of 3 weeks. For 2 adults plus 2 kids it sucks. It's cramped, top heavy and little room for any supplies. Gee do we take water or a spare tire I can’t decide :) IMO none of the UTV's are decent for your family and what you want to do. We are looking to pick up another 2 seater RZR or Rhino but it is only going to be to take the kid to the bus stop and plunk around in.
Some of the rails out there are decent for dual purpose but do your home work on suspensions, trans, and makers. You don’t seem like a guy who likes maintenance so I am wondering what you are doing looking at rails? Anyway there were some nice dual sport chenowths out there when I was looking. You should also swing over for lunch and get a tour of Revenge Racings place in Deer valley. They are the guys that make the Sidewinder cars. Justin owns the place and you can learn a lot just going in to kick tires. After you do your homework you will laugh at some of the ads that claim to be so called dual sport.
Thanks Mark. I really know very little about rails so that is why I was throwing this out there. I don't mind maintenance, I just don't have time for it. I actually like to turn wrenches but at this point in my life I don't want to waste time away from the kids and wife fixing my toys.
I agree about the RHINO for size. It just feels cramped for 4. I thought about Magic34's two Rhino idea a while back but transport becomes an issue.
What exactly is a dual-sport rail and how much would a decent used one run that would be low-maintenance?

Magic34
08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the input. What was up with that Ranger you had for sale on GD.com?
Just read your PM. I think my buddy still has one, but it is a dog. Not just his just the Ranger in general. You need to drive one for 20 minutes. My ankle craps up from the position my foot is. It was actually very annoying. However, for what you are trying to do with a UTV the Ranger willprobably be your best bet.
Just talked to him. He can build one, but doesn't have one to sell. Your best bet if that is the case is holding out for a used one, or going the 2 Rhino route.

Magic34
08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks Mark. I really know very little about rails so that is why I was throwing this out there. I don't mind maintenance, I just don't have time for it. I actually like to turn wrenches but at this point in my life I don't want to waste time away from the kids and wife fixing my toys.
I agree about the ranger for size. It just feels cramped for 4. I thought about Magic34's two Rhino idea a while back but transport becomes an issue.
What exactly is a dual-sport rail and how much would a decent used one run that would be low-maintenance?
Your transport will be exactly the same as a rail, except the trailer will be 2-4' longer. You need a 20' flatbed for the Rhinos compared to a 16-18 foot trailer for the rail.

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Just read your PM. I think my buddy still has one, but it is a dog. Not just his just the Ranger in general. You need to drive one for 20 minutes. My ankle craps up from the position my foot is. It was actually very annoying. However, for what you are trying to do with a UTV the Ranger willprobably be your best bet.
Just talked to him. He can build one, but doesn't have one to sell. Your best bet if that is the case is holding out for a used one, or going the 2 Rhino route.
Did not get any PM:idea: I guess they are not working.

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Your transport will be exactly the same as a rail, except the trailer will be 2-4' longer. You need a 20' flatbed for the Rhinos compared to a 16-18 foot trailer for the rail.
Looking to do a toy-box or 5th wheel tandem with flat bed so length is an issue in both cases.

Magic34
08-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Looking to do a toy-box or 5th wheel tandem with flat bed so length is an issue in both cases.
That makes sense then.
However.....
Nah... That wont work.

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 12:05 PM
That makes sense then.
However.....
Nah... That wont work.
So, is that Ranger for sale still?

Magic34
08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
So, is that Ranger for sale still?
You are not reading my posts in their entirity. :D He can build one, but doesn't have 1 for sale right now.
Just for info... A Ranger will not fit in the back of a truck. A Rhino w/o long travel will.

revndave
08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
We had some belt problems in the sand.Have had none since we installed new style factory belt.I like it because when you put people in the back it doesn't squat like the Rhinos.I use 2wd everywhere in the dunes.Mine is a 2006.The new ones have different ring and pinion gears.They are about 5mph.

OGShocker
08-06-2007, 12:09 PM
I agree about the ranger for size. It just feels cramped for 4. I thought about Magic34's two Rhino idea a while back but transport becomes an issue.
Try this one...:D:D:D
Ranger Crew! (http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Ranger/2008Navigation/700Series/Crew/)

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Ranger Crew! (http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Ranger/2008Navigation/700Series/Crew/)
I typed wrong, ment to say Rhino for size. The Ranger is huge.

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 12:22 PM
You are not reading my posts in their entirity. :D He can build one, but doesn't have 1 for sale right now.
Just for info... A Ranger will not fit in the back of a truck. A Rhino w/o long travel will.
Sorry, my bad.

sigepmock
08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
We have a four seat Rhino with Long Travel and my Brother in Law has the newer 700 FI Ranger. Both are great for tooling around town and trail rides with a little kid in the back. I've driven both and can say they are fairly even for the type of riding you explained.
Hee's the problem I see with your plan......neither the Ranger nor the Rhino were ever built to handle the weight of four people safely. I would not and will not carry anybody over 50lbs in the back of our rhino for anything more than a 5 mph ride down the street. It's just not worth the risk, both can tip over way to fast with the extra weight or rear passengers. If you think the Ranger is safer you are wrong....I personnally know three people that bought the Ranger because they didn't want a tip happy Rhino....guess what??? All three of them have rolled their Rangers:jawdrop: But they would have rolled a Jeep or any other vehicle they put in the same situation.
I think the right choice for you is a Ranger for you and the wife and a couple of quads for the kids. You can all rotate if needed, have fun and still be safe. Or do like Magic says and get two rhino's. I have a 20 foot enclosed trailer and I can just squeeze in two Rhino's.
Good luck,
Chris

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 12:27 PM
We have a four seat Rhino with Long Travel and my Brother in Law has the newer 700 FI Ranger. Both are great for tooling around town and trail rides with a little kid in the back. I've driven both and can say they are fairly even for the type or riding you explained.
Hee's the problem I see with you plan......neither the Ranger nor the Rhino were ever built to handle the weight of four people safely. I would not and will not carry anybody over 50lbs in the back of our rhino for anything more than a 5 mph ride down the street. It's just not worth the risk, both can tip over way to fast with the extra weight or rear passengers. If you think the Ranger is safer you are wrong....I personnally know three people that bought the Ranger because they didn't want a tip happy Rhino....guess what??? All three of them have rolled their Rangers:jawdrop: But they would have rolled a Jeep or any other vehicle they put in the same situation.
I think the right choice for you is a Ranger for you and the wife and a couple of quads for the kids. You can all rotate if needed, have fun and still be safe. Or do like Magic says and get two rhino's. I have a 20 foot enclosed trailer and I can just squeeze in two Rhino's.
Good luck,
Chris
More good points. The kids already have quads too:idea:
Thanks

finsfan4life
08-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I think the end deciding factor is the fuel injection !!!! What was Yamaha thinking with carbs...Hello, even Womens vibrators have fuel injection now....HELLO YAMAHO'S, WAKE UP !!!!

vee-driven
08-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Go with a rail, i have a street legal tube chassis manx for sale, PM me if you are interested.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/10270612211.jpg

revndave
08-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Rangers are rated for 1000lbs in the bed.Towing 1500lbs.

sigepmock
I think the end deciding factor is the fuel injection !!!! What was Yamaha thinking with carbs...Hello, even Womens vibrators have fuel injection now....HELLO YAMAHO'S, WAKE UP !!!!
FI is the way of the future but I have personnally riden/driven many carburated quads, bikes, Rhino's from Glamis (Sea Level) to Big Bear and never had a problem. A stock Rhino or Ranger will do just fine. Start modding them and they get a little more pickey....but the FI motors do to and to fix them you need more than a screw driver. :D
Both have their strong points...but these motors aren't sophisticated(SP?) enough to "Require" FI yet.
Just my $.02,
Chris<------- Spelling sucks today
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/front8.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/driv_side.jpg

djunkie
This is true. I wish they would have gotten with the program before I bought mine last year. Although it really hasn't caused any problems for me. I changed my intake/filter and rejetted mine. Seems to have helped quite a bit. Sometimes on a cold start it does take a little longer than it should but it always starts. I Jetted mine a little on the fat side just because I drive it so hard and don't want it to lean out. I've even taken it up to Lake Arrowhead (around 6k feet elevation if I had to guess) and it ran flawlessly.

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 12:46 PM
4-stokes are not too picky on the jetting. I run my KTM 450 from 1,000-8,000 elevation with no issues. Spends most of its time around 2,500 which is where I have it jetted to. I imagine the Rhinos would be similar as far as setting the jetting and you are good.

Glamasu
08-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Please!!!!!!
Don't beleive everything you read!

Big Kahunaa
08-06-2007, 03:31 PM
i like that

Riverguy92345
08-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I have a stock Rhino that goes anywhere i want to go.I run with all the other
types and do just find. How fast do you need to go in a ATV.My only advice is try all of them or stop and ask . I also wouldn;t put anyone in the back of the ATV. I have seen 3 of them go over backwards. Just not a good idea unless your just going slow around the camp site..

The Doctor
08-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Some may not want to believe everything they read but we've used ours to jockey our 21' Schiada around the property and even around the block and the weight rating is absolute with ours. We've done it a time or two. The previous picture with a dragster bullet was a piece of cake!

catman-do
08-06-2007, 05:25 PM
I went out and looked at the new Polaris RZR and really like it. Its cheaper than most rhino's, more travel, more power, more load capacity, lower center of gravity, and has a half windshield (which anyone that does glamis alot would like since its cold as hell at night!). I wouldnt recommend a rail for anything in the mountains. Waay to wide and long.
The only downside I see to that RZR vs. the Rhino and Ranger is that they havent been proven yet, and they are narrow. If you are a bigger guy, or your gal is a bit big, you may not be to comfortable.

RiverRatMike
08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Ummmm...you might want to get your facts straight, the only problems the Rangers HAD were in sand. they have since changed the belt compound and have had no problems. they offer the new belt for sale and everyone I know that went to the new belt has not seen one problem ;) Having lots of experience with Both. I would say the room and the EFI of the Ranger are huge benefits. the fact the Rhino fits in a truck and looks better are also nice benefits to some. They ALL have their Quirks. The fun part is finding out which one best fits your needs.
And the Razor in stock form will smoke even heavily modded Rhinos. I went down and watched a demo on a dirtbike track where Polaris invited quite a few aftermarket Rhino companies down to run againt a stock razor......the razor was lapping some of the Rhinos ;)
well if you like driving a bus or looks like your jumping a box then the Polaris is the one for you. Give it time, Yamaha will come out with something better and will walk the razor! :D

revndave
08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Please!!!!!!
Don't beleive everything you read!
Think what you want.My Ranger doesn't squat like a Rhino.

Outnumbered
08-06-2007, 05:59 PM
...or your gal is a bit big, you may not be to comfortable.
:D What are you trying to say?:D
My gal is not a bit big, thank you very much. She makes me look fat at 6'1" and 230 lbs...I guess that is a little fat:D
My issues with these things, as well as with golf carts, is the leg room. I hate having my leg all contorted to press the gas. Of all the things I loved about my Jeep TJ, this was also something that always bothered me. I like to stretch out my legs.

Magic34
08-06-2007, 06:02 PM
My gal is not a bit big, thank you very much. She makes me look fat at 6'1" and 230 lbs...I guess that is a little fat:D
My issues with these things, as well as with golf carts, is the leg room. I hate having my leg all contorted to press the gas. Of all the things I loved about my Jeep TJ, this was also something that always bothered me. I like to stretch out my legs.
We are the same size. Well, I may be 1/2" taller and 2 pounds lighter. :)
Seriously though, we are almost identical in size and I have no problem doing a 50 mile ride in my Rhino, it feels great. I jumped in my buddy's Ranger, and hated it after 3 minutes. That damn pedal position. i know I cant get off that but there was a huge difference for me.
I'm not the "Rhino is king guy," just I thought it felt much better. A pair of new front seats and you are set. It'll feel nice. :D

rivrrts429
08-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm thinking about selling mine too build another one, PM if your interested. I can show you endless pics of towing and hauling all kinds of things with the Ranger. I have had 2 & 3 adults in the back and never came close to flipping it. Its all common sense. Your not going to do any crazy, or try something your not confident in with people in the back. That goes for the Rhino or the Ranger. I love my Ranger and thats because of the size. I had two custom child seats made for the back bench and I just cruise if I have anyone back there. My Ranger was built with the intent of hauling people in the back. The cage was incorportated into the frame and tied in front to back.
My advice would be to try all the manufacturers out and go with what your research tells you. Dont listen to anybody that buys something because its green, blue or red. Or says a certain brand because they like who they sponsor. Do some homework and test, test, test.
The ranger is the best one by the way:D :D :D

Outnumbered
08-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Go with a rail, i have a street legal tube chassis manx for sale, PM me if you are interested.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/10270612211.jpg
Nice, but I need a 4-seater for about $10k less:D

superdave013
08-07-2007, 04:20 AM
So how would a 2 wheel drive rail do on those jeep trails up in Big Bear?? Any of you guys take your sand cars up to Butler Peek's fire lookout? If so how was it coming back down? I would think up in Big Bear you will want a little 4x4. Ever think of a Suzuki Samiri (sp)? Do Rangers and Rhino's have a better ride then a Jeep with some soft flexy supension?
I would think a Jeep would be hard to beat up in Big Bear. If you wife does not like the ride of a Jeep you need to ask yourself this question. Does she not like the ride of the Jeep or the ride of prolly anything that's going off road.
I would love to build another wicked 4x4. To bad my wife hates wheeling.

Outnumbered
08-07-2007, 08:06 AM
So how would a 2 wheel drive rail do on those jeep trails up in Big Bear?? Any of you guys take your sand cars up to Butler Peek's fire lookout? If so how was it coming back down? I would think up in Big Bear you will want a little 4x4. Ever think of a Suzuki Samiri (sp)? Do Rangers and Rhino's have a better ride then a Jeep with some soft flexy supension?
I would think a Jeep would be hard to beat up in Big Bear. If you wife does not like the ride of a Jeep you need to ask yourself this question. Does she not like the ride of the Jeep or the ride of prolly anything that's going off road.
I would love to build another wicked 4x4. To bad my wife hates wheeling.
I think it all has to do with travel as far as ride quality goes. Zuks suck ass in this dept unless you build a custom one and I don't have time for that. I guess a long-arm TJ may be OK but I have never ridden in one. I know a buggy with 10-12" of travel and quality shocks should ride pretty well off-road. I'm not sure about the Rhino/Ranger ride because I have not spent much time in them but everyone seems to love them.
At this point, I'm just gathering info to help me make a decision. I really appreciate all the input.

yopengo
08-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Outnumbered,
Thank you for doing research for me. I also am outnumbered 3 to 1. I am 6'2" and 230 lbs. I am also researching Jeeps, Rhinos and Rangers. I am looking for that perfect winter toy. Something to take to Havasu and play on the trails in the winter...hit the desert bar. Something street legal (in AZ) would be nice. I have a Sea Doo GTI that the older kids play on... so it would be nice to have something that would launch it...so I don't have to make two trips to the ramp. I was leaning towards a cheap Jeep but the ride on the trails would suck.
So when you figure it all out....just buy two and ill take the one of them.
Thanks,
Pengo :D

catman-do
08-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Im 6'1" and 215 lbs, I dont have a problem driving the Rhino. Well I should say as long as I sit properly. I see people trying to drive it "gangster" and that would be uncomfertably (and unsafe). I sat in the RZR (didnt drive it) and the pedals seemed about the same comfortability wise, however they were closer since the seats sit lower.

wright27
08-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks in advance.
My wife broke her collar bone and a rib last year at the dago run in Cal. City. She still has her bike, but we bought a 4 seater rail. She never rides her bike and I can't get her out of the rail. We thought about a rhino, but the rail is faster and I have had a rhino keep up with our rail on the trails or through the wash yet.

hazard
08-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Buy none of the above.
Buy a Scrambler instead!
http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17713