PDA

View Full Version : 3 year OUI study in Havasu

DILLIGAF
08-06-2007, 05:38 AM
Lake Havasu included in OUI study
By DAVID BELL
Friday, August 3, 2007 7:56 PM MST
A Southern California research firm is using activity on Lake Havasu in a study on how best to determine whether a boater is impaired by alcohol.
The Southern California Research Institute has been contracted by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators to develop and validate standardized field-sobriety tests for marine law environment.
“People can't always stand or walk on a boat,” said Dary Fiorentino, SCRI executive director. “We wanted a sense of water conditions and impact on officers.”
SCRI is the research firm that came up with the field-sobriety tests (FST) used by law enforcement on dry land. This is also the second time the firm looked at FSTs on the water. A study was initiated in 1992, also on Lake Havasu, but never completed.
“I don't believe there's a better place to do that sort of testing than right here where everything started,” said Mohave County sheriff's Lt. Randy Johnson. “I'm excited that they're finally doing this, the sheriff is excited, and we will offer any help we can.”
For this recent round of research, SCRI sent researchers to three locations: Lake Havasu, Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri and Atlantic Ocean beaches in South Carolina.
Johnson and Fiorentino credited Tim Baumgarten, law enforcement program manager for Arizona Fish and Game, with keeping Lake Havasu and Mohave County at the forefront of the study.
Baumgarten was unavailable for comment.
“I personally went to Lake Havasu June 21-23. I'd never been there before and it was very interesting,” Fiorentino said. “I saw hundreds and hundreds of people moored on the side of the river, drinking.”
Fiorentino said that made him realize that, at least for Lake Havasu tourists, drinking is a significant part of the boating experience.
“That's troublesome because at some point they have to go somewhere and then there are a lot of impaired operators out there,” he said.
Fiorentino praised the law enforcement agencies on Lake Havasu, saying they were the nation's leaders in identifying and dealing with boat operators impaired by alcohol.
“I also saw a bigger threat of drinking and boating in Arizona than other areas. So it's not surprising your officers are better prepared,” Fiorentino said.
“We're a step ahead because we participated in an initial study they did in '92,” Johnson said. “We adopted those preliminary tests years ago and have been using them ever since. Arizona teaches them in watercraft survival school.”
The study will take three years to complete. Using the data gathered in the three waterway visits, researchers will attempt to craft as many workable boating FSTs as possible. Some of the tests will involve motor skills, but the majority will be cognitive in nature.
In year two, SCRI will begin testing the tests. Volunteers will be dosed and tests conducted in a double-blind situation. In a double-blind test, neither the tester nor the subject is aware of which items are controlled.
Year two testing will be conducted at the SCRI research facility in Los Angeles.
In year three, with a series of FSTs that passed the controlled tests, officers will be trained and the tests conducted in the field.
“Year three will be to make sure of what works in the real world,” Fiorentino said.
That will lead to a series of standardized tests every law enforcement agency on any body of water can use when an operator is suspected of drunken boating.
The U.S. Coast Guard reported a 39 percent increase in alcohol-related boating fatalities between 1987 and 2005. But alcohol-related boating fatalities dropped 22 percent between 2002 and '05 as more boaters began designating a sober operator.
You may contact the reporter at dbell@havasunews.com.

OGShocker
08-06-2007, 06:40 AM
You know, Tom, if the States want to put an end to this all they have to do is post a couple BUI enforcement teams at every ramp on the lake. If they posted them between the hours of 16:00 and 20:00 they would nab a sh*tpot of dumbass'.
Funny since I stopped drinking on the water I have noticed a lot more DRUNK jackasses pulling out at the end of the day. Scares me to think I was once like them.:mad:

DILLIGAF
08-06-2007, 12:31 PM
You know, Tom, if the States want to put an end to this all they have to do is post a couple BUI enforcement teams at every ramp on the lake. If they posted them between the hours of 16:00 and 20:00 they would nab a sh*tpot of dumbass'.
Funny since I stopped drinking on the water I have noticed a lot more DRUNK jackasses pulling out at the end of the day. Scares me to think I was once like them.:mad:
Totally agree with that one......

OutCole'd
08-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Totally agree with that one......
It would be like shooting fish in a barrel.....:rolleyes: :)

WYRD
08-06-2007, 12:39 PM
It would be a double whammy with a BUI and a DUI cause someone has to get the truck:) :eek: :D

socalmoney
08-06-2007, 12:40 PM
I won't drink while driving a boat. If I can't drink while driving a car, it doesn't make much sense to do while boating. I don't want my kids wondering why it's ok on the water but not on the road. They are good at picking up double standards.

socalmoney
08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
I will do my drinking on this boat.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/jerkyg/ted_lange_as_your_bartender.gif

Froggystyle
08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
One interesting aspect of that narrative is that it seems to assume that since there was drinking going on "moored on the shoreline" that there was going to be drunk drivers.
I was out there this weekend, and found that not only was the person driving our boat not drinking, but neither were anyone elses drivers... though they were drinking what appeared to be beer in cans with coozies. Turns out it was Busch N/A pseudo-beer.
I haven't seen a driver drink in the last couple of years. It confounds me how quickly "studies" determine that everyone must be driving drunk.
Lake Pleasant in Phoenix has a 100% DUI enforcement stop coming off the lake during peak days. Of the hundreds and hundreds of boaters that they stop and give FST's to, they will pull 6 or so out of the line and arrest them for DUI. I would imagine that the number would be significantly higher coming out of the Gaslamp in San Diego on Friday night, or Mill Avenue in Tempe if you did a 100% enforcement stop.
On Lake Mead last time I was there they had a very active random stop program while getting off at the major marinas. They would pull over the next boat they saw as soon as they got done with the one they were working on. Probably four boats directing traffic and 5-6 teams on the dock giving FST's. I didn't see them catch anyone, but the news also got around the lake pretty fast, as we heard about the stops at three different locations we were at.
I think that enforcement is great, and random, aggressive stops are in order. They were also full safety inspections for jackets, extinguishers etc...