PDA

View Full Version : Gonna miss Hal Fishman

MBlaster
08-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Longest continuous news anchor in tv history.
RIP Hal.

a catered life
08-07-2007, 06:49 AM
did he die?..i heard he was in the hospital:(

Mr. C
08-07-2007, 06:53 AM
did he die?..i heard he was in the hospital:(
Passed at 3:00 AM this morning, family by his side:(

GBarron97
08-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Wow, First Byron, now another old friend.
Hal, Barry Schiff, snakewrenches father and myself did alot of flying together. I saw Hal for the last time at the AOPA in Palm Springs last year. I can't say we were close friends over the past few years, but friends all the same.
When Snake made his solo flight, Hal was the first to call and congradulate him.
Rest in peace Hal.
"I had one of those flights at 22,000 ft where the plane was perfect, the conditions were perfect, you could see for 100 miles in all directions, just beautiful, absolutely the most peaceful time in a humans life. That is when you understand what the astronauts meant when they said they felt the presence of the almighty himself. Almost like you could reach out and touch his face. Yes indead, I have had those flight before, the ones you wish would never end."
Hal being interviewed by an AOPA writer.

RitcheyRch
08-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Just heard the news. Very sad day. RIP Hal.

Johnwithjm
08-07-2007, 07:18 AM
RIP Hal.

Dan Lorenze
08-07-2007, 07:46 AM
That's sucks........ Hal was a cool guy...

Baja Big Dog
08-07-2007, 07:47 AM
What a way to go...he found out he had cancer last week, and he died this morning, this guy was without a doubt the class act of ALL new people!!:(

BoatPI
08-07-2007, 08:06 AM
He always told it like it is, no BS.

cdog
08-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Really sad. Hal was always a voice of intelligence and common sense. He will be missed. I always stayed up just long enough to watch his commentary on the 10pm news. I’m sure he’s flying high somewhere.

dossangers
08-07-2007, 08:27 AM
1st class human being in a world with so few!

Rev. Williams
08-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Hal Fishman was "Class Anchorman" definied !! Sucks to see the good ones go. Why couldnt Paul Moyer die instead !!!

Big Warlock
08-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Rip

32sunrkt
08-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Anything news crumb to do with Aviation... ANY STORY .... He presented it. It was the rule....;)

HocusPocus
08-07-2007, 09:29 AM
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2007-08/31627870.jpg
RIP Mr. Fishman.

pm069
08-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Great pic of him above. Absoulty one of the best in the business, I would watch him over Cronkite anyday. One of the most intellegent men I have ever known. God Bless You, Hal. You will be missed. My sincere condolences to the Fishman Family.:(

cougar27mtr
08-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I didn't know he was sick.. I agree he always told it like it way.. Huge advocate for flying. RIP How old was he???

RitcheyRch
08-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Definite aviation advocate.
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_219102520.html
KTLA anchorman Hal Fishman, who helmed the station's 10 p.m. newscast for more than 30 years, died at his home Tuesday, about a week after being diagnosed with colon and liver cancer. He was 75.
Fishman died at 3 a.m., with his family at his side, KTLA reported.
Doctors found the cancer after Fishman collapsed at his home Wednesday and was hospitalized to treat what was described as a serious infection. KTLA first reported Fishman's illness on its Web site on Thursday. Messages wishing the former political science professor and aviation enthusiast a speedy recovery then began flooding the site, according to the station.
More messages flooded the site Tuesday, as news of his death rapidly spread.
"Hal is and always will be L.A.'s newsman," one message stated.
Fishman, who would have turned 76 on Aug. 25, had anchored KTLA's 10 p.m. newscast since 1975. He joined the station a decade earlier -- after being personally hired by station owner Gene Autry -- and contributed to the station's Peabody Award-winning coverage of the Watts riots.
The station's newsroom was named in his honor in 2000.
"I remember Hal giving me the news when I first came to California in 1968," Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said. "While he won many awards in his tenure as anchor, perhaps most importantly he won the respect of news viewers throughout California, many of whom followed him through his prestigious 47-year career."
Fishman's honors include the Governors Award from the Los Angeles Chapter of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and a lifetime achievement award from the Associated Press Television-Radio Association.
He was also an accomplished pilot, earning 12 world aviation records for speed and altitude, according to KTLA.
"Hal was a friend, role model and mentor," Supervisor Mike Antonovich said.
Antonovich said that the friendship goes back to his college days at Cal State Los Angeles, where Fishman taught government and served as adviser to a chapter of Young Republicans.
"Hal was an icon for reporting fair and balanced news," Antonovich said in summarizing Fishman's career. "Our prayers go to his wife and son."
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa called Fishman "a titan of Los Angeles journalism."
"Today's loss will be felt well beyond the newsroom and into the homes of every Southern Californian who relied on Hal Fishman's unique voice, his informed opinion and his unwavering integrity over more than 47 years of reporting," Villaraigosa said.
Also extending regrets over Fishman's death was the Los Angeles Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
"Hal was an icon in Los Angeles news, and his depth of knowledge and presence is unparalleled," an SPJ statement said. "News in Los Angeles has lost an important, irreplaceable voice."
Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley called Fishman "one of the great, respected journalists for literally decades in this county."
"When I went to Cal State Los Angeles in the mid-60s through 1970, Hal was a professor there, already making his mark in this community, so it's ... a very sad day for all of us in Los Angeles County," Cooley said.
Fishman is survived by his wife, Nolie, and son, David. The family asked that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the American Cancer Society.
Funeral arrangements were still pending.

Hardly Satisfied
08-07-2007, 02:10 PM
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2007-08/31627870.jpg
RIP Mr. Fishman.
Very sad, I remember watching him when I was a kid.

River Lynchmob
08-07-2007, 03:06 PM
He was of the last reporters to give an honest unbiased reporting of the news...I hope that there is a young version of him somewhere that can attempt to fill these huge shoes that were left behind. It was great to be able to watch a person that really loved what he did and made it look so effortless. He will be missed.

SnakeWrench
08-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Well, As GBarron said, I grew up around Hal, and yes he did indead call me right after I solo'd. In fact, the photo above reminds me of a photo that was taken of my dad and Hal right after my dad painted it. My dad painted planes for Hal and many others, but they always stayed in touch. Right after dad passed, Hal made an announcement on KTLA that his dear friend had passed away. I had never seen that tape until last year when he sent the tape to me for my birthday.
It was the only time I had ever seen Hal get emotional. But ever the perfect anchor, He finished his job that night, as he would thousands of times.
So long Hal. Godspeed.

shueman
08-07-2007, 07:15 PM
R.I.P. Hal...:(

caroftheweek
08-07-2007, 07:18 PM
During high school and college, I would watch the channel 5 news every night. I always liked his commentary on issues. He would always would explain things the way I thought they should be, not spun and unbiased. I am sad that I am no longer in CA to watch the memorium of his career on KTLA.
God finally brought His pilot home to heaven.
RIP Hal

just another payment
08-07-2007, 08:33 PM
very sad to hear, when we came left California, he was one of the things we missed and when we came back, he was the only news reporter that we watched.

al cole'holic
08-07-2007, 09:02 PM
...wow, first time hearing about this...all the wife and I can think of is making fun of his commentary every night :( :D :( :(

lalhc
08-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow, Hal was a class act. I'm going to miss watching him on TV.
RIP Hal