PDA

View Full Version : Inexperience?????????? Tragic Results

Not So Fast
08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
LAKE FOREST – Neither alcohol nor negligence appear to have been the cause of boating accident Saturday in San Diego that left a 40-year-old man dead underneath a propeller, authorities said.
"In this case, this is just a tragic accident," said Officer R. Oliver of the San Diego Police Department's Harbor unit.
Paul J. Barnard, of Lake Forest, was out boating with his wife, children and another family when he fell overboard at Campland at Mission Bay.
Barnard was trying to untie a small boat from the dock at about 5:30 p.m. He was standing on the swim step of the 20-foot Bayliner when his friend, who was operating the boat, pushed the throttle on the vessel too quickly.
The boat jumped forward, tossing Barnard into the water.
Boats in the dock have only a few feet of space and when the boat headed toward a docked boat, the driver of the vessel quickly put the boat in reverse toward Barnard, Oliver said.
"He didn't realize his friend had fallen," she said.
Barnard was cut in the torso by the propeller. His clothes became tangled on the propeller, Oliver said, while the propeller continued turning.
People jumped into the water and tried to help, including lifeguards and three nurses, Oliver said, but Barnard was seriously injured. He died at the scene.
This is the third incident since July 4 that someone has been injured by a boat's propeller in San Diego, Oliver said. In all three incidents, the driver of the boat had backed up the vessel without being aware that a passenger was in the water.
This is the first time someone has been killed in such an incident this year, Oliver said.
"It is very unusual," she said.
No charges are expected to be filed in the case. A report to the California Department of Boating and Waterways will be filed, Oliver said.
Contact the writer: shernandez@ocregister.com or 949-454-7361
Maybe this has been posted already but this is what I find most disturbing and I really believe that inexperience was the culprit. I see it time and time again at Windsor, first timers that have no clue as to what happens driving a boat and then they get excited and confused as to what exactly they should do, well this looks like the result and it scares the poop out of me.
I admit to making mistakes when I first started boating, hell I still do but there is just no substitute for experience. The results can be very sad as in this case!!!!!:( :( NSF PS I made sure that when learning it was not a crowded area!!!!!!!

shippingguy
08-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I believe inexperience or just plain lack of paying attention is to blame. My boat motor does not turn over until everybody has a butt in a seat.
Very sad day for sure and I am sorry for the loss of life. RIP!!:(
Mike

Mandelon
08-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I read about that. It was a pontoon.....poor visiblity out the back maybe....:(

shippingguy
08-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Maybe, but you take a head count of how many people are on your boat and when you are ready to leave you make sure the #'s in the boat still match before you start the boat and leave. Again, just what I do.
Mike

Not So Fast
08-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Article says a 20 Bayliner.
The reason I posted was in reference to all of the BUI threads lately and to tell you the truth, inexperience scares me more. Both are bad but confusion at the helm is the worst IMO. Sad day for this guy, how would you like to remember this the rest of your life, I killed a good friend:( :( NSF

JB in so cal
08-07-2007, 01:53 PM
These people were (are) friends of our friends (I'll send out a flow chart if needed). Two families on vacation at Campland - It was a Bayliner, I believe. The man that was killed was trying to push the boat off the dock - at the time it happened, there were 7 children + the driver in the boat. Maybe low tide and all the weight pushed the outdrive into the mud...anyway. The guy finally pushed the boat off and hopped onto the swim step and the driver threw it into gear and the tragedy struck. One of the older kids (13, I think) had her wits about her to reach up and turn the key off as the boat was bouncing and thumping from the (impact) - Just horrible!!
You want to hear something awful?
This boat was stored at the home of the guy that was killed:jawdrop:
God Bless his family!

AirtimeLavey
08-07-2007, 01:58 PM
:( Shocking and very sad. Once I was swinging the back end of my boat into the dock, and a girl on the boat behind me put her foot out to try to catch my boat, I went to neutral real quick and thanked her for her effort, but told her to keep her legs in her boat, since I have a prop back there. I didn't need her help, but she didn't realize it, and was only trying to be helpful. It would have been disasterous if she had slipped into the water behind me. :jawdrop:

Dribble
08-07-2007, 02:20 PM
No one is allowed on my swimstep when the engine is running. No exceptions for any reason.

HocusPocus
08-07-2007, 02:29 PM
i saw something about this on the news and its something i worry about all the time.

GUGS102
08-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Sad circumstance. Don't panic - while floating it takes very little effort to manuver a boat by hand if things get close. The throttle is the last resort for corrections when stopped, or floating by the dock.
I watched a wife do the same thing to her husband 15 years ago at apache lake in AZ. With the boat on the trailer at the ramp.
Gugs