PDA

View Full Version : Skeg and Prop repair in Simi/Ventura... freakin rocks

HitIt
08-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Was at Shasta last week and went into an area that looked too shallow to me but I was with a friend who had "gone there a thousand times" and said it was fine. Well, I hit the bottom pretty hard. I am pretty pissed off for not listening to myself. Luckily, the damage was limited to the lower of my outdrive (Bravo) and the prop. Pretty much just the skeg and I think it is all fillable. The prop edges need a little TLC but it looks fine although I want a professional to look at it. I will post pics later.
Anyway, time to get it fixed. It is runnable so I may wait until the end of the season. Any recommendations for places to get it fixed? I am thinking about having about +1" of pitch change to the prop while I am at it.

Biglue
08-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Whadja do? Hitit?? :D :D :idea:

Old school Ultra
08-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Call Bryan @ Valley Prop in Ventura 805-644-5055, Haven't needed him in a few years, always great service and very knowledgeable!

RitcheyRch
08-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Didnt think we had any prop service here in the Los Angeles/Ventura area. Alyways thought we had to go to Orange County.
Good info to have, thanks.
Call Bryan @ Valley Prop in Ventura 805-644-5055, Haven't needed him in a few years, always great service and very knowledgeable!

HitIt
08-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Whadja do? Hitit??
LOL, maybe I should change my name. Is changing an message board name bad luck like changing a boat name? :idea:

Nord
They have those hard plastic skag protectors that sometimes will slip right over the damage and act as a new one.............

HitIt
Will do. You know if he does skeg welding as well?

Biglue
08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
LOL, maybe I should change my name. Is changing an message board name bad luck like changing a boat name? :idea:
LOL, sorry bro, I had to. :D
May want to contact Teague. At the very least they can point you in the right direction out there.

HitIt
08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
They have those hard plastic skag protectors that sometimes will slip right over the damage and act as a new one.............
I was looking at the Skeggards but it looks like it would add a little drag. Anyone have opinions about these things?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36642&stc=1&d=1186530972

HitIt
08-07-2007, 03:59 PM
May want to contact Teague. At the very least they can point you in the right direction out there.
That is actually where I purchased the prop... A FEW WEEKS AGO. Brand new Bravo 1 prop. Wonder if they would take it back ;) Wrong pitch... :devil:

Biglue
08-07-2007, 04:13 PM
I was looking at the Skeggards but it looks like it would add a little drag. Anyone have opinions about these things?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36642&stc=1&d=1186530972
I've seen those things on boats and to me they just scream "Dumbass Billboard". I'd repair and repaint the skeg. It's back to original without people knowing you focked up. LOL
That is actually where I purchased the prop... A FEW WEEKS AGO. Brand new Bravo 1 prop. Wonder if they would take it back ;) Wrong pitch... :devil:
Been there dude. Sammater of fact, I dinged up my prop last time I was out too. :mad:
Skeg is alright tho.....this time. :D

HitIt
08-07-2007, 04:19 PM
I've seen those things on boats and to me they just scream "Dumbass Billboard". I'd repair and repaint the skeg. It's back to original without people knowing you focked up. LOL
Fine, its getting fixed the right way. The last thing I need to do is give you fokkers a reason to point and laugh at me when I drive down the road :jawdrop:

Biglue
08-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Fine, its getting fixed the right way. The last thing I need to do is give you fokkers a reason to point and laugh at me when I drive down the road :jawdrop:
LOL, good luck finding a good shop man.

desertbird
08-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Bryan at Valley Prop is the best. His lead times can be a little long during "the season" but he's the only guy I've ever taken a prop to.
I have also run the Skeggard on all my outboards, and now my outdrive. I wouldn't trust it hitting anything at speed, but I think nothing looks worse than a skeg with chipped paint and rock dings, even from just hitting the bottom while floating.

HitIt
08-07-2007, 04:49 PM
desert, were you driving southbound on the 5, south of castiac last sunday evening?

Biglue
08-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Bryan at Valley Prop is the best. His lead times can be a little long during "the season" but he's the only guy I've ever taken a prop to.
I have also run the Skeggard on all my outboards, and now my outdrive. I wouldn't trust it hitting anything at speed, but I think nothing looks worse than a skeg with chipped paint and rock dings, even from just hitting the bottom while floating.
Agreed. I keep a can of Mercury Phantom Black spray paint handy and paint it from time to time.

CORONA&LIME
08-07-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't know if they do Skag work at Valley Prop. I was there yesterday and what a drive from Westhills to Ventura back home to Santa Clarita. Though they do know there stuff. I came home with a new prop.

HitIt
08-08-2007, 08:19 AM
After further investigation, I have concluded that I did not hit the bottom. It was a lake shark that came up and bit my skeg. It was in perfect condition before :( Damn sharks
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36686&stc=1&d=1186589929

Havasu Carrera
08-08-2007, 11:24 AM
They would have that thing fixed good as new in a hour or so and for probibly $80 bucks!! I have had great treatment there for 25 years.:)

HitIt
08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Damn. Hope I have the same luck out here. My guess is at least double that price.