PDA

View Full Version : To the Islander owners

Chipster27
08-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Looking for a little advise and since there seems to be more of an Islander presence in this forum than the Sandbar I figure I'll post my question here.
So my wife and I have stayed there twice. We love the park/resort, the amenities, the staff, and several of the owners we have met. It's a place we could see returning to again and again.
We are kicking around the idea of buying a place in Havi, on a scale from 1-10 we are probably a 6. I guess it would be best described as "on the fence"
We own several homes now and use a couple as rental properties. If we flipped one we would have to do a 1030 exchange (blah blah blah damn taxes) so we would have to use the new place as a rental to avoid some BS tax implications.
So with that in mind we've been looking at homes in town for a couple reasons, size of home, # bedrooms, yard, garage etc... Conversly we started to think about a trailer at the Islander. Seems like the snow birds would be attracted to the park for the actvities, smaller place to maintain/clean, etc...
Now to get to the crux of the post:
1. We stayed on the pennisula and really liked it. Homes on the penninsula seem to be in the $250-$350 range plus $800/mo in space rent (I struggle with paying rent...like to receive it, hate to pay it). For $300+ I can buy a place in town.
2. Homes away from the water seem to be about $150-$250 but I don't know the $$$ for space rent.
What is your preference on location? If you're deeper in the park you could get a golf cart/Rhino to shuttle you to the water, it's still better than driving through town at the end of each day :D
Rumor has it you can't finance one of these places so what are the challanges with resale?
Does anyone rent their place, if so, what are you able to get for rent? Do you have to go through the park (and have them take a piece) or can you manage it on your own?
What am I missing? What else should be factored in to the decision?
Thanks everyone!

Tremor Girl
08-08-2007, 04:03 AM
I've been in the park for about 8 years and we love it. Every year we say, "It's time to move on and buy a house in town and quit throwing rent money away. Then, we drive around and look at houses and say no way are we going to give up the launch ramp and all the fun we have hanging at the Islander. It just wouldn't be the same with a house in town.
That being said, I know the park models in the back of the park are the only ones you can rent out. I believe there is a waiting list for the snow birds looking to rent them and I do believe the park handles the rentals and takes a cut.
I know OutCole'd and Daddy G are in park models so if they don't chime in here, try sending them a PM.
The park does have alot of rules but we're fine with most of them. We have never had any kind of problem with theft or vandalism. I know on really busy weekends, we hardly even boat. A group of us usually gets together and just hangs out at the beach which is what we would be doing on our boats any way. Alot safer and just as fun!
Good luck with your decision and next time you're in the park, stop by and say hi! Just look for the site with all the people that looks like a dog park and you'll find us:D (Site 40)

OutCole'd
08-08-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm right there with Lynn, if I really wanted a house in town, I could have one. With my luck, I would have grouchy blue hairs on one side & meth freaks on the other.
At the Islander, I have met nothing buy great people that have similar interests. I feel my kids are safe there riding there bikes around and doing what they do. They both probably have more friends at the Islander that at home. I've never had a issue with vandalism or theft, seems like my stuff there is very safe.
I own a park model, close to the golf course, (cheap rent district). I think it's $410 per month or so. Not sure about the resale thing, I've not tried to sell mine yet, but the asking prices do seem to keep going up every year on the used ones, even though they don't seem to sell real fast. Some of the homes on their web site have been there a while. I think the ones that are more agressively priced, seem to sell pretty quick.
As far as renting them out, many people I know do this and do very well with it. There never seems to be a problem to rent to a snow bird for the Winter for 4-5 months. rent is usually $1,100 per month + depending on the size and condition of the place. Or rent them out during the Summer for weekends or weeks at a time. When I first went there, I rented a place for the Summer just to make sure I'd like it. I think the rental has to be done through the park and they charge a huge commision for this (30% :eek: ). But you can sell it by owner if you choose, or they will help with this also (for a fee).
It's hard to put a value on the golf cart booze cruise at night around the park. Hanging with the friends and family without having to get in my car to drive to some ones house. The launch ramp is awesome as is the beach and pools and spa.
It's not for everyone though. It's not cheap, there a lot of rules (of which they have NEVER been a problem for me) and you have to be able to relax and enjoy good times. Some people may have a problem with this.
Let me know if I can be of any other help.
Bill

PaPaG
08-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm right there with Lynn, if I really wanted a house in town, I could have one. With my luck, I would have grouchy blue hairs on one side & meth freaks on the other.
At the Islander, I have met nothing buy great people that have similar interests. I feel my kids are safe there riding there bikes around and doing what they do. They both probably have more friends at the Islander that at home. I've never had a issue with vandalism or theft, seems like my stuff there is very safe.
I own a park model, close to the golf course, (cheap rent district). I think it's $410 per month or so. Not sure about the resale thing, I've not tried to sell mine yet, but the asking prices do seem to keep going up every year on the used ones, even though they don't seem to sell real fast. Some of the homes on their web site have been there a while. I think the ones that are more agressively priced, seem to sell pretty quick.
As far as renting them out, many people I know do this and do very well with it. There never seems to be a problem to rent to a snow bird for the Winter for 4-5 months. rent is usually $1,100 per month + depending on the size and condition of the place. Or rent them out during the Summer for weekends or weeks at a time. When I first went there, I rented a place for the Summer just to make sure I'd like it. I think the rental has to be done through the park and they charge a huge commision for this (30% :eek: ). But you can sell it by owner if you choose, or they will help with this also (for a fee).
It's hard to put a value on the golf cart booze cruise at night around the park. Hanging with the friends and family without having to get in my car to drive to some ones house. The launch ramp is awesome as is the beach and pools and spa.
It's not for everyone though. It's not cheap, there a lot of rules (of which they have NEVER been a problem for me) and you have to be able to relax and enjoy good times. Some people may have a problem with this.
Let me know if I can be of any other help.
Bill
The good life :)

lalhc
08-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Looking for a little advise and since there seems to be more of an Islander presence in this forum than the Sandbar I figure I'll post my question here.
So my wife and I have stayed there twice. We love the park/resort, the amenities, the staff, and several of the owners we have met. It's a place we could see returning to again and again.
We are kicking around the idea of buying a place in Havi, on a scale from 1-10 we are probably a 6. I guess it would be best described as "on the fence"
We own several homes now and use a couple as rental properties. If we flipped one we would have to do a 1030 exchange (blah blah blah damn taxes) so we would have to use the new place as a rental to avoid some BS tax implications.
So with that in mind we've been looking at homes in town for a couple reasons, size of home, # bedrooms, yard, garage etc... Conversly we started to think about a trailer at the Islander. Seems like the snow birds would be attracted to the park for the actvities, smaller place to maintain/clean, etc...
Now to get to the crux of the post:
1. We stayed on the pennisula and really liked it. Homes on the penninsula seem to be in the $250-$350 range plus $800/mo in space rent (I struggle with paying rent...like to receive it, hate to pay it). For $300+ I can buy a place in town.
2. Homes away from the water seem to be about $150-$250 but I don't know the $$$ for space rent.
What is your preference on location? If you're deeper in the park you could get a golf cart/Rhino to shuttle you to the water, it's still better than driving through town at the end of each day
Rumor has it you can't finance one of these places so what are the challanges with resale?
Does anyone rent their place, if so, what are you able to get for rent? Do you have to go through the park (and have them take a piece) or can you manage it on your own?
What am I missing? What else should be factored in to the decision?
Thanks everyone!
I recognize your boat from your avatar. I saw where you were parked at the Islander this past week. I'm on the peninsula (site 23) but we don't have a park model. Everyone else has mentioned everything you need to know about the park. In my opinion, there's not another park like the Islander in Havasu. It's by far the best park in town. You may find some good deals on the park models for sale on the peninsula. I think there's a couple empty one's which tells me the people were kicked out and are being forced to sell. I don't know if that is true, but only my observation. Winter time at the Islander is packed at all times. That park is full of activity for the Snowbirds so wherever you decide to purchase you should have no problems finding renters.

Chipster27
08-08-2007, 05:24 PM
I recognize your boat from your avatar. I'm on the peninsula (site 23)
My boat is pretty easy to spot so I can't be an idiot or someone will call me out somewhere :D
23 is a nice spot, you must have an awesome view! We met some really cool people this weekend in space 67, and they had some friends over from space 75? that took us to space 76 (that's for sale). Great location and the price seems to be reasonable. I just struggle with paying rent :jawdrop: but the park and the lifestyle looks like it can't be beat. I can easily see coming out for the weekend and kickin' it with everyone without having to hassle with driving through town.
Thanks to everyone for the responses, great insight and will help with the decision.
Chip