PDA

View Full Version : Come Clean

thatguy
08-07-2007, 05:27 PM
OK, Here is a question that maybe will bring it home.
We all have been trumpeting from our soapboxes. Myself as much as anybody.
BUT, What is the stupidest, dangerous thing YOU have done in your boat?
Either by accident, on purpose, or just did not know better?
I'll go first.
Nobody taught me anything about driving in lakes. I had a riverboat in AK. Rivers in Alaska have only riverboats on them. No tubing or such, just hunting / fishing.
I did alot of stupid things when on a lake at first. No idea about rules, just try not to hit anybody.
First time pulling tubers, I put 2 guys straight into the shore. They were going no faster than mach 5 when they hit the bank, on a whip. The bank was sort of steep, so they richocheted back into the water. One guy dislocated his shoulder and that was it for injuries.
My injuries 10 minutes later included black eyes, bruises on my face, and 2 broken teeth. That was a lesson learned, I assure you. I am glad they were my friends, they probably would have just beat me to death otherwise.
I used to like (and still do like) going WO closely following the shore, like on AK rivers. I learned quickly about houseboats and coves on Shasta. Luckily it was just an 'Oh Shit" and nothing got hit. So now I stay out a ways, and never do it around corners. Still learning (5 years now at Shasta w/ a boat) but I am no longer the worst out there.
Tommy

AirtimeLavey
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Learned the hard way that jet boats don't turn w/o power. Headed towards shore/our day camp, and thought I'd throw a cool turn up close. Turned wheel, boat kept going straight. Trying to stop the inevitable, I pulled reverse and held down shifter and gunned it. Got it slowed down, but still moving forward. Nose of my boat went up onto the seat of a waverunner, stopped, and slid back off of it. No damage, no injuries, just me feeling incredibly stupid. I was lucky, and never again do I try to show off my boating or bonehead skills. That was prob. 7 years ago. No, I hadn't had anything to drink, either. Pure stupidity. :hammer2: :rolleyes:

thatguy
08-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Learned the hard way that jet boats don't turn w/o power. Headed towards shore/our day camp, and thought I'd throw a cool turn up close. Turned wheel, boat kept going straight. Trying to stop the inevitable, I pulled reverse and held down shifter and gunned it. Got it slowed down, but still moving forward. Nose of my boat went up onto the seat of a waverunner, stopped, and slid back off of it. No damage, no injuries, just me feeling incredibly stupid. I was lucky, and never again do I try to show off my boating or bonehead skills. That was prob. 7 years ago. No, I hadn't had anything to drink, either. Pure stupidity. :hammer2: :rolleyes:
My brother!

Froggystyle
08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
My Dad dropped off of a ski rope while in pretty good traffic up on the Delta in a slough. It was tight, and I was looking back to see if I could get around because traffic was all over the place, and I didn't want to have my skier in the water by himself so I moved over to the right, looked left and backed off the throttle. I turned the wheel left when there was a break and as I was looking forward I was about to hit the bank. I froze, drove the boat right up the bank and up on the rocks.
Lots of things went wrong in my 16 year old head to cause that accident, the biggest of which was that I forgot that jets don't steer when not under power. I lost situational awareness for a spell, got focused on the wrong stuff and nearly wrecked the boat as a result.
All started because my Dad's arms were tired and he dropped off in traffic, in a tight slough.
Bad day all around, lots of lessons learned to be sure.

pw_Tony
08-07-2007, 05:48 PM
7TH Grade in Lake Powell.
Haulin ass through Antelope canyon on a brand new Yamaha 3 seater, the owner hadn't even driven it yet. He was driving the houseboat. I was following my father in the guys new Carrera 20'. He's only has two or so feet on both sides of the canyon, but we're only going about 15mph or 20mph.
We get to the end of the canyon and I tell them I'm going back the other way and be right back. Went cruising to the opening and on the way back I had the smart idea to go WIDE OPEN through the canyons, it was a perfect day and I didn't want to waist it being boring and knowing no one else was cruising through the canyon. So I come about 25mph around the corner and my aunt is there with her Pontoon, so I turn and gas it and went about 6 FEET up the canyon wall, on the brand new jet ski the owner hasn't even ridin.
And then there's the night time adventures wakeboarding. I would fall in the water and the boat couldn't see me, so I could hear them yell MARCO and they heard my little POLO. That was fun.
And when I was a kid my Dad and his friends would try and do 360's around the boat on their SKIS. They jet boat would whip them around to the point there at the front of the boat and try and catch it when the boat goes cruisin by at 30mph and the skier is only goin bout 5mph. They never made it all the way around the boat but came pretty close.
Also but a paracelle on backwards, and saw a guy get dragged down the sand bar at PICCACHO, and totally screwed up my paracelle.
Toolie runs at Martinez used to kick ass. Basically before everything got to become a no wake zone, would just have someone wait at the beginning and the end of the toolie run. And just haul ass through them acting like Sprint jet boats on those tight courses. It was fun until during a race one of our buddys boats ran over the guy infront of him breaking his wifes back.
Are any of these stories dumb enough?

thatguy
08-07-2007, 05:52 PM
7TH Grade in Lake Powell.
Haulin ass through Antelope canyon on a brand new Yamaha 3 seater, the owner hadn't even driven it yet. He was driving the houseboat. I was following my father in the guys new Carrera 20'. He's only has two or so feet on both sides of the canyon, but we're only going about 15mph or 20mph.
We get to the end of the canyon and I tell them I'm going back the other way and be right back. Went cruising to the opening and on the way back I had the smart idea to go WIDE OPEN through the canyons, it was a perfect day and I didn't want to waist it being boring and knowing no one else was cruising through the canyon. So I come about 25mph around the corner and my aunt is there with her Pontoon, so I turn and gas it and went about 6 FEET up the canyon wall, on the brand new jet ski the owner hasn't even ridin.
And then there's the night time adventures wakeboarding. I would fall in the water and the boat couldn't see me, so I could hear them yell MARCO and they heard my little POLO. That was fun.
And when I was a kid my Dad and his friends would try and do 360's around the boat on their SKIS. They jet boat would whip them around to the point there at the front of the boat and try and catch it when the boat goes cruisin by at 30mph and the skier is only goin bout 5mph. They never made it all the way around the boat but came pretty close.
Also but a paracelle on backwards, and saw a guy get dragged down the sand bar at PICCACHO, and totally screwed up my paracelle.
Toolie runs at Martinez used to kick ass. Basically before everything got to become a no wake zone, would just have someone wait at the beginning and the end of the toolie run. And just haul ass through them acting like Sprint jet boats on those tight courses. It was fun until during a race one of our buddys boats ran over the guy infront of him breaking his wifes back.
Are any of these stories dumb enough?
The nightime one qualifies for sure.
I have a buddy who can go 360 on his ski around his mastercraft, but only with his wife driving.(They got it down.) It's an older SKI boat with the center pole. So that ain't stupid I think.
Tommy

LEADFOOTjosh
08-07-2007, 06:10 PM
i went to the sand bar on a weekend :D :D :D

AZKC
08-07-2007, 06:17 PM
:D :D
Sounds pretty dam funny:D

Glamasu
08-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Launched at site 6

River Lynchmob
08-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Went to Roadrunner with Riverdave.

thatguy
08-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Was hoping to learn some things from others mistakes.
Tommy

Jbb
08-07-2007, 06:43 PM
I had just finished painting and installing my blower belt guard.....I was in a hurry to pull it out of the garage and see it in the sun.....[garage door in the picture]....Pulled the boat out .....with the hatch still up.......Bang!.....got to repaint the guard....:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36660&stc=1&d=1186540970

Nord
08-07-2007, 06:43 PM
I always did the stupid stuff while launching.
Launched without a plug, had water up high enough to kill the engine...no damage....thank god.......:eek:
Launched without taking the tie-downs off, couldn't figure out why the boat wouldn't come off the trailer????:rolleyes:
Forgot to take the plastic outdrive saver off, drove around with the outdrive in the "trailer up" position for about a minute and figured out why the boat wouldn't plain out right............:idea:
As far as on the water, I think I might have pushed the stick forward while it was in neutral a couple times............
~NORD~

thatguy
08-07-2007, 06:48 PM
I always did the stupid stuff while launching.
Launched without a plug, had water up high enough to kill the engine...no damage....thank god.......:eek:
Launched without taking the tie-downs off, couldn't figure out why the boat wouldn't come off the trailer????:rolleyes:
Forgot to take the plastic outdrive saver off, drove around with the outdrive in the "trailer up" position for about a minute and figured out why the boat wouldn't plain out right............:idea:
As far as on the water, I think I might have pushed the stick forward while it was in neutral a couple times............
~NORD~
Thats a good one! Saw that a few weeks ago. Couple had just bought the boat, first time out. After about 10 minutes I went over to help and saw it. They were pretty embarrased.
Tommy

Nord
08-07-2007, 06:50 PM
I had just finished painting and installing my blower belt guard.....I was in a hurry to pull it out of the garage and see it in the sun.....[garage door in the picture]....Pulled the boat out .....with the hatch still up.......Bang!.....got to repaint the guard....:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36660&stc=1&d=1186540970
Some good stories here...................http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114972

hkunz
08-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Put the jet in the water with all the block drain valves open, at Site 6. The wife took off to park the Jeep and trailer at LBR, where we were staying. I didn't figure it out until I was part way around the island and taking on LOTS of water. Not the end. I then took the boat into the Channel (figuring it was shallower and closer to shore) and tried to close the petcocks on the engine block. Did I mention that I don't swim? I can do the strokes, but don't "float", something about muscle mass. So I went DIW in the channel and went back to close the petcocks as I was sinking, with no one ashore knowing there might be a problem. This was long ago, so the Channel was very quiet compared to today. Oh, and it was midweek, the first day of our vacation.

OCMerrill
08-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Learned the hard way that jet boats don't turn w/o power. :hammer2: :rolleyes:
And Flatties don't turn with the power on!:eek: :eek: :)