PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet for Desktop PC's?

NOTALENT
08-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Is anyone familiar with this? I want to get this for my home PC. How well does it work, cost etc...? Whats a good setup?
Thanks in advance

Badger301
08-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Home PC as in a desktop computer? I would think the cost wouldnt be worth it. You can do a wired access I.E. DSL or Cable for 30-40 a month. Of course if you dont have access to these then I could see why you'd go with wireless.
I use Verizon Wireless for my laptop. Its about 70 or so a month.

NOTALENT
08-08-2007, 07:19 AM
I heard if you get the card you could just steal from neighbors and there was not a charge monthly? Trying to save a few bucks. My new apartment is more money haha

Boatcop
08-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Something like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3032670&CatId=2688

voodoomedman
08-08-2007, 07:26 AM
I heard if you get the card you could just steal from neighbors and there was not a charge monthly? Trying to save a few bucks. My new apartment is more money haha
Boatcop's post is what you need. It depends on if your neighbor's have there wireless router connection secure or not. Also you will have to be able to get a good signal. You do realize that you would be stealing? Either way if you have to ask the question of how to do it then you probably won't know how to set it up even if it is unsecured. You will need some help setting it up from someone familiar with it. If it is secure you are going to need someone who really knows their stuff and watches the Matrix everyday.
Something like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3032670&CatId=2688

frdvschvy
08-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Only gonna work if their wireless network is unsecure and not password protected. Keep in mind if you can access the wireless network so can theives looking for personal information. I would just pay the $30-$40 for DSL. If DSL is not an option at your appartment Verizon Wireless sells a wireless broadband card that will plug into your USB port. The service for the VZW wireless broadband card would run $59.99 per month.

lalhc
08-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Home PC as in a desktop computer? I would think the cost wouldnt be worth it. You can do a wired access I.E. DSL or Cable for 30-40 a month. Of course if you dont have access to these then I could see why you'd go with wireless.
I use Verizon Wireless for my laptop. Its about 70 or so a month.
If you have a wireless card, you can eliminate your cable or DSL by purchasing a router for the card. With the wirless card router you can create a portable hot spot wherever you live or travel, and the router has a couple ports for desktops.

NOTALENT
08-08-2007, 07:29 AM
yup, thats what im looking for:) Is that brand or particular one any good?

Miss Perfect
08-08-2007, 07:29 AM
I have used this one by Linksys before. It works good if you can get a neighbor that is dumb enough to let you steal their internet. I think it was $50-60 at office depot. http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416828445&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=2844539789B02

voodoomedman
08-08-2007, 07:30 AM
yup, thats what im looking for:) Is that brand or particular one any good?
D-Link or Linksys are just fine.

voodoomedman
08-08-2007, 07:34 AM
I have used this one by Linksys before. It works good if you can get a neighbor that is dumb enough to let you steal their internet. I think it was $50-60 at office depot. http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416828445&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=2844539789B02
Also keep in mind that at some point you will be found out. All it takes is a click on their Network Neighborhood to see the computer attached to their network. If you do it then do yourself a favor and make sure your computer name isn't anything identifiable. Also turn off all sharing of your drives and such to make it a tad more difficult for thieves to get your info but also so they can't start clicking around and see your personal naked pictures and figure out that your the one stealing from them. Generic letters and #'s computer name and no access to info and they won't know which neighbor is stealing from them. Well until they see the phone company hooking up dsl at your place the next day and put two and two together.

Caljamr
08-08-2007, 07:43 AM
I hate it when people steal anything.
Can anyone help me?.....My neighbor has a car and they don't have a locking gas cap so i'm going to steal their gas. Can anyone help me out on how do to this? Also i'm thinking of tapping off of their cable line if anyone can help me with this also. Thanks.
Do the right thing man!!!!
Plus eventually they will find out your connected and just block you. So just get basic internet from the cable company and call it quits.
Sorry for negative post but i hate it when people steal.

Miss Perfect
08-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Also keep in mind that at some point you will be found out. All it takes is a click on their Network Neighborhood to see the computer attached to their network. If you do it then do yourself a favor and make sure your computer name isn't anything identifiable. Also turn off all sharing of your drives and such to make it a tad more difficult for thieves to get your info but also so they can't start clicking around and see your personal naked pictures and figure out that your the one stealing from them. Generic letters and #'s computer name and no access to info and they won't know which neighbor is stealing from them. Well until they see the phone company hooking up dsl at your place the next day and put two and two together.
I wasn't actually using my neighbors. I lived in a house where the wiring up stairs was bad so instead of re-wiring the whole house or running cable on the outside we used wireless. It worked out good, but I see what you're saying.

voodoomedman
08-08-2007, 07:50 AM
I wasn't actually using my neighbors. I lived in a house where the wiring up stairs was bad so instead of re-wiring the whole house or running cable on the outside we used wireless. It worked out good, but I see what you're saying.
That's different. Your using your own so there is no being found out. You just secure it so thieves don't get to it. Most new routers have wireless. Mine does but it is secure. But when my father in law comes over with the laptop I've set him up with the password and he hooks right up wirelessly. Notalent is talking about stealing.

Riverless
08-08-2007, 07:54 AM
i've used one of these before and you don't even have to open your pc and install a wireless card. you just plug this into your usb port, doesn't get any easier.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1509098

Havasu_Dreamin
08-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Can anyone help me?.....My neighbor has a car and they don't have a locking gas cap so i'm going to steal their gas. Can anyone help me out on how do to this? Also i'm thinking of tapping off of their cable line if anyone can help me with this also. Thanks.
Plus eventually they will find out your connected and just block you. So just get basic internet from the cable company and call it quits.
I agree! No need to apologize. Coming on and actively looking for a way to steal is quite possibly one of the dumbest things/posts I have ever seen on here.....

NOTALENT
08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Technically its not stealing, so I am doing the right thing ;) There is a starbucks a few streets over that provides it free:D If they block me no big deal, I dont use it much @ home. Most use is at work.

robk
08-08-2007, 08:23 AM
You can always just ask your neighbor(s) to use their wireless as well, throw a couple bucks their way every month... Then you'll be legit and most likely they're using encryption anyway so you're a little more secure than using an unprotected AP without permission. :D
Rob

Caljamr
08-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Technically its not stealing, so I am doing the right thing ;) There is a starbucks a few streets over that provides it free:D If they block me no big deal, I dont use it much @ home. Most use is at work.
Didn't those guys in the movie "Office Space" say it's 'technically' not stealing when they had the fraction of pennies put into another account? :)
I like the idea of asking the neighbor if you can piggy back and throw them some bones. Hey the neighber might be a hottie and well i'll let you finish the story...... :)

C-2
08-08-2007, 09:24 AM
You can always just ask your neighbor(s) to use their wireless as well, throw a couple bucks their way every month... Then you'll be legit and most likely they're using encryption anyway so you're a little more secure than using an unprotected AP without permission. :D
Rob
Yup, they had to pass some specific law in NY to prevent that kind of stuff.
There is always one computer geek in an aprtment neighborhood, who loves nothing more than snooping around on everybody else's open networks. In fact, it might be purposely left unsecured for that reason. Spider's got a fly.....
Does LB downtown have free wireless? Many metro areas are coming online with free wifi.
And if you do it, get a card which allows an external mount antenna - one which you can run to an optimum area to pick up reception. HUGE difference between an external antenna, and those stubs on the cards (trust me).

NOTALENT
08-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Yup, they had to pass some specific law in NY to prevent that kind of stuff.
There is always one computer geek in an aprtment neighborhood, who loves nothing more than snooping around on everybody else's open networks. In fact, it might be purposely left unsecured for that reason. Spider's got a fly.....
Does LB downtown have free wireless? Many metro areas are coming online with free wifi.
And if you do it, get a card which allows an external mount antenna - one which you can run to an optimum area to pick up reception. HUGE difference between an external antenna, and those stubs on the cards (trust me).
Not sure if they do or dont. I actually moved to HB, I will probably ask my neighbors, sorority girls...there pretty cool.:D Lots of stuff to look at still....Are you talking about the high gain antennas?