PDA

View Full Version : RV Slide-Out/Pop-out problem...

Outnumbered
08-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I looked at a 2006 Keystone today with dual slides. It is like new except the front slide is stuck closed. It just clunks like it is a clutch noise or gear skipping noise. The owner does not want to fix it and made me a smokin' offer if I take it as-is and have it fixed myself. He claims he has not had an estimate but who knows.
What is my worst-case cost to get this fixed? I am talking about the small slide for the queen bed in a fiver. The large slide for the dining/living room works fine. The unit is just out of warranty--2006 Model.
Thanks in advance

squirt'nmyload
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
whatever you do, don't take it to beaudry :mad: :mad:

Magic34
08-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Look underneath, it could have sheared a pin off. Replace the pin and you are good to go. This happened 2x on my 40' WW on the big slide.
You need to try a few things first. #1, go under it and there will be a squared tubing that goes the length of the slide. turn that with a wrench. That will make the slide go in and out. As you do that you can see how it all operates and what the problem is. You'll be able to tell if that pin is sheared like I said because the grear will turn but nothing is holding it to turn the square tube.

squirt'nmyload
08-08-2007, 03:27 PM
oh, and when this happened to luckystrike, 2 of the bolts that held one of the couches down were loose and dropped down far enough to not let the slide open

catman-do
08-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Im not sure how Keystones are. Dont know if its R and P or if its hydro slides. If its a rack slide then there could have been grinding down from sand getting blown up in it. If its hydro make sure there is no leaks in the lines and there is still enough pressure to push the slide out. Ive had no problems with mine as of yet so i dont know how much they are to fix.

Magic34
08-08-2007, 03:33 PM
I looked at a 2006 Keystone today with dual slides. It is like new except the front slide is stuck closed. It just clunks like it is a clutch noise or gear skipping noise. The owner does not want to fix it and made me a smokin' offer if I take it as-is and have it fixed myself. He claims he has not had an estimate but who knows.
What is my worst-case cost to get this fixed? I am talking about the small slide for the queen bed in a fiver. The large slide for the dining/living room works fine. The unit is just out of warranty--2006 Model.
Thanks in advance
Smokin offer... Hmmmm. These things are worse than boats just to let you know.
I have never been happy selling a boat, but the day my 40' WW went away... Party and celebrate each year on the same day.

Outnumbered
08-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Look underneath, it could have sheared a pin off. Replace the pin and you are good to go. This happened 2x on my 40' WW on the big slide.
You need to try a few things first. #1, go under it and there will be a squared tubing that goes the length of the slide. turn that with a wrench. That will make the slide go in and out. As you do that you can see how it all operates and what the problem is. You'll be able to tell if that pin is sheared like I said because the grear will turn but nothing is holding it to turn the square tube.
I looked and the slider mechanism for the front is not accessible from under the coach or from the pass-thru storage. I think it is under the bed plywood. Not sure how to access it.:idea:

Outnumbered
08-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Im not sure how Keystones are. Dont know if its R and P or if its hydro slides. If its a rack slide then there could have been grinding down from sand getting blown up in it. If its hydro make sure there is no leaks in the lines and there is still enough pressure to push the slide out. Ive had no problems with mine as of yet so i dont know how much they are to fix.
This is R&P and I doubt it has sand in it. It is like new and it is not a toy-box.

Magic34
08-08-2007, 03:37 PM
I looked and the slider mechanism for the front is not accessible from under the coach or from the pass-thru storage. I think it is under the bed plywood. Not sure how to access it.:idea:
The bed should lift up, then under the wood, which should easily lift up has the motor and gears in there.

Outnumbered
08-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Smokin offer... Hmmmm. These things are worse than boats just to let you know.
I have never been happy selling a boat, but the day my 40' WW went away... Party and celebrate each year on the same day.
Old guy just had a stroke and can't deal with it anymore. Needs to blow it out. I've had many TT's and they have all been older. I fix most of the stuff myself. The dealers are a bunch of tweakers--don't trust any of them.
BTW, no way they are as bad as boats:D

thatguy
08-08-2007, 03:38 PM
My Cougar is made by Keystone and it is all Hyd. slides.
Don't know but I would guess there is an obstruction, like the bolts stated in a post above and the sound is the bypass on Hyd. lines or pump.
When mine reach full extension they make a sound like you describe.
Tommy

Magic34
08-08-2007, 03:38 PM
This is R&P and I doubt it has sand in it. It is like new and it is not a toy-box.
If this is not a toyhauler, the market is very soft on those trailers. That means you have more room for negotiation. :D

Magic34
08-08-2007, 03:39 PM
BTW, no way they are as bad as boats:D
Hell, mine was worse than 5 boats combined.

Outnumbered
08-08-2007, 03:39 PM
So if it is totally focked up (stripped gears, etc) what is the worst case? I just want to factor that into the price.

Outnumbered
08-08-2007, 03:41 PM
If this is not a toyhauler, the market is very soft on those trailers. That means you have more room for negotiation. :D
Oh, trust me. I'm talking 65% off of new MSRP and it is about 14 months old.:) ...plus, no sales tax and a hitch.

Magic34
08-08-2007, 03:42 PM
So if it is totally focked up (stripped gears, etc) what is the worst case? I just want to factor that into the price.
$7437.42
Tell the guy that you will give him $7400 less and call it a day. Just trying to save you some money for the Excedrin you are going to need. :D :D
I'm just bustin ya, I am sure it is a nice trailer. Just dont tell me you are buying a Chevy Kodiak or I would call the cops on you for being insane. :D

catman-do
08-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Im trying to talk a buddy out of a ww right now. I told him they have more problems than most the others, and you are paying twice as much. In a market like todays, you've got to be insane to pay WW prices for a trailer.

Outnumbered
08-08-2007, 04:08 PM
My Cougar is made by Keystone and it is all Hyd. slides.
Don't know but I would guess there is an obstruction, like the bolts stated in a post above and the sound is the bypass on Hyd. lines or pump.
When mine reach full extension they make a sound like you describe.
Tommy
Thanks. OK, this is a Cougar but it has a gear rack (has teeth) that extends with the big slide. Can this still be a hydro? Looks like a rack to me but I am not sure.

ChumpChange
08-08-2007, 04:22 PM
If you don't want it, let me know. I'll be looking at trailers this fall but if the right deal comes along. This a 5th wheel?

Outnumbered
08-08-2007, 04:27 PM
If you don't want it, let me know. I'll be looking at trailers this fall but if the right deal comes along. This a 5th wheel?
Yes 5th wheel. I am pretty sure we are getting it. Just need to make sure I am not buying a major repair.

Magic34
08-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Yes 5th wheel. I am pretty sure we are getting it. Just need to make sure I am not buying a major repair.
Seriously, it cant be too bad. Less than $1000 it what I would assume. Everything is fairly inexpensive, it is the labor that sucks.

Outnumbered
08-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Seriously, it cant be too bad. Less than $1000 it what I would assume. Everything is fairly inexpensive, it is the labor that sucks.
That is about what I figured but I want to be sure I am not way-off. Thanks.

thatguy
08-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks. OK, this is a Cougar but it has a gear rack (has teeth) that extends with the big slide. Can this still be a hydro? Looks like a rack to me but I am not sure.
On mine the rams are clearly visible, can't miss them.
Either way, if you are buying one for sure and pass on that kind of deal, I think it would be a mistake to let this kill the purchase. Probably nothing much. Does your bed lift up? from what you say you may be able to access the mechanism from there. I have pulled panels and fixtures to run stereo and Sat wires and they are really easy to work on.
(Mines a 2007)
Tommy

Ike
08-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I suppose if you posted this on rv.net forum http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm someone there probably has one and would know what the problem is.
Oh yeah, theres one of those on RVOnline.com for 39,900. Same year. DOn't know if it's the same model
2006 Keystone Raptor 3612DS w/2 Slides http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=36349&SearchMethod=2

Outnumbered
08-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I suppose if you posted this on rv.net forum http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm someone there probably has one and would know what the problem is.
Oh yeah, theres one of those on RVOnline.com for 39,900. Same year. DOn't know if it's the same model
2006 Keystone Raptor 3612DS w/2 Slides http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=36349&SearchMethod=2
Already did and I have got more info here, go figure:D

jetboat
08-09-2007, 04:20 AM
went thru the same problem,only bothe slides broke.called the extended warranty xss xoles,they would pro rate it. then got on the web and found out who made the whole slide, wella!"lippert components"in goshian ind.heres some numbers,tool free 1-866-524-7821or 547 971-4100 or 574-537-8800.i worked with michael at ext.4618,and guess what,the mfg.has a "3" year warranty!tell them whata up,and also find a rv dealer to replace the parts,"lippert"paind them in full.mines all done and works better than new.hope this helps.

Outnumbered
08-09-2007, 08:41 AM
went thru the same problem,only bothe slides broke.called the extended warranty xss xoles,they would pro rate it. then got on the web and found out who made the whole slide, wella!"lippert components"in goshian ind.heres some numbers,tool free 1-866-524-7821or 547 971-4100 or 574-537-8800.i worked with michael at ext.4618,and guess what,the mfg.has a "3" year warranty!tell them whata up,and also find a rv dealer to replace the parts,"lippert"paind them in full.mines all done and works better than new.hope this helps.
Cool thanks!
Seems like slides add a whole lot of headache to an RV? I have had several TT's and none have had slides. They are so simple when they don't have too many moving parts. I have never had any issues other than interior trim and minor mechanical stuff. Over on RV-net there are tons of people with slide issues.

Magic34
08-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Cool thanks!
Seems like slides add a whole lot of headache to an RV? I have had several TT's and none have had slides. They are so simple when they don't have too many moving parts. I have never had any issues other than interior trim and minor mechanical stuff. Over on RV-net there are tons of people with slide issues.
Yes, they are great for the space, but suck at the same time.
In the 2 toyhaulers I have owned, I have had a total of 3 slides. 1 on the first one and 2 on the other.
2 of the 3 slides at 1 point had not worked properly.

ChumpChange
08-09-2007, 09:21 AM
So did you buy it or are you going to pass the deal on to me with your markup? :D

Outnumbered
08-09-2007, 04:08 PM
So did you buy it or are you going to pass the deal on to me with your markup? :D
Taking the wife to go see it now. I'll let you know.

phebus
08-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Taking the wife to go see it now. I'll let you know.
Tell her that if you knock one out on the bed, the slide will probably start working. :D

Classic Daycruiser
08-09-2007, 06:27 PM
If it was damaged from getting hit, it could be more than just one part.
otherwise I would price out a motor and gear reduction assembly for the slider.
Kinda like the trim/tilt for the out drive...when there working, they work, but when thay stop working, its a $1000 bill.

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 01:40 AM
I bought this rig and the slide moves with the manual crank. The ram gears are nylon (plastic) inside the reduction unit. Looks like they may be stripped but I won't know for sure until I get back over there with a good battery.
The ram looks just like a boat hatch lift ram. If the thing is toast why couldn't I just use a hatch lift ram from Rex marine (1/2 the cost)? I am sure they are built better than that RV crap is.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2754DSCN0878-med.jpg

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 01:42 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2754DSCN0873-med.jpg

OGShocker
08-20-2007, 05:17 AM
Most RV people with slides forget the most basic rule. LUBE and LUBE OFTEN! Once you get the slide fixed, keep a lot of food grade silicone spray on the seals, or this stuff (http://www.protectall.com/soseal_lg.htm) works well. Apply everytime you use the slides.
Good luck,
Mark

TOBTEK
08-20-2007, 06:42 AM
my fifth wheel with three slides had these same symptoms. We had to push the slides in while pushing the button, made horrible noises. I feared the worst and was planing on spending thousands of dollars. Took it to a little family owned RV repair place in Vista. First thing Mr maytag repairman does is test the battery on the RV. Even though the RV was plugged in 100% of the time in our spot, the battery was fried! He installed a new battery...and whamo worked PERFECT! Did you try a new battery before riping this all apart? sounds exactly like what I was going through.:idea:

2Driver
08-20-2007, 07:05 AM
John,
Anyway you can turn the whole trailer 90 degrees and shake it real hard.:D

MBlaster
08-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Most RV people with slides forget the most basic rule. LUBE and LUBE OFTEN! Once you get the slide fixed, keep a lot of food grade silicone spray on the seals, or this stuff (http://www.protectall.com/soseal_lg.htm) works well. Apply everytime you use the slides.
Good luck,
Mark
Agreed, I lube the slides on my Southwind just about every time I open em.

OGShocker
08-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Agreed, I lube the slides on my Southwind just about every time I open em.
I focked up once and grabed the wrong can (http://www.protectall.com/solube_lg.htm). It took me a week to clean that shite off the moho.

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 07:42 AM
my fifth wheel with three slides had these same symptoms. We had to push the slides in while pushing the button, made horrible noises. I feared the worst and was planing on spending thousands of dollars. Took it to a little family owned RV repair place in Vista. First thing Mr maytag repairman does is test the battery on the RV. Even though the RV was plugged in 100% of the time in our spot, the battery was fried! He installed a new battery...and whamo worked PERFECT! Did you try a new battery before riping this all apart? sounds exactly like what I was going through.:idea:
Thanks. The superslide works fine so I don't think it was the battery. We had it plugged into his truck to power the slide and the landing gear to get the thing over to my storage. It was easy to take apart so it was no big deal. Plus now I know how to use the manual crank deal (it is under the bed and requires taking the bed base cover off). It would be nice if a new battery fixes the problem. I hope it is that simple.

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 07:44 AM
I focked up once and grabed the wrong can (http://www.protectall.com/solube_lg.htm). It took me a week to clean that shite off the moho.
Reminds me of the time when I used to use spray deodarant. I grabed my wife's can of hairspray and proceeded to apply it under my arms.:sqeyes:

wright27
08-20-2007, 07:52 AM
It is kinda late in 2007, but find out when it was purchased in 2006. All Keystone trailers have a 1 year factory warranty.

OGShocker
08-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Reminds me of the time when I used to use spray deodarant. I grabed my wife's can of hairspray and proceeded to apply it under my arms.:sqeyes:
I bet that hurt your freshly shaven armpits...:D:D:D

TOBTEK
08-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks. The superslide works fine so I don't think it was the battery. We had it plugged into his truck to power the slide and the landing gear to get the thing over to my storage. It was easy to take apart so it was no big deal. Plus now I know how to use the manual crank deal (it is under the bed and requires taking the bed base cover off). It would be nice if a new battery fixes the problem. I hope it is that simple.
SO did mine on both accounts! thats why I thought it was a major repair. The one large slide went right in, then the two small would start to bind, make noises, and wouldn't finish without manual help. start with the simple things. Take a good battery out of your truck and try it in the RV. With I had.

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 08:17 AM
SO did mine on both accounts! thats why I thought it was a major repair. The one large slide went right in, then the two small would start to bind, make noises, and wouldn't finish without manual help. start with the simple things. Take a good battery out of your truck and try it in the RV. With I had.
That would be great. I hope that is all it is. Thanks for the help.

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 08:23 AM
It is kinda late in 2007, but find out when it was purchased in 2006. All Keystone trailers have a 1 year factory warranty.
I already did. It is about 14 months old. But, I believe the slides are covered for 3 years by the slide manufacturer. I have little faith in the tweakers that work at these places to fix anything right though. Plus they will keep it for months. So,I figured I would fix it myself. If I spend a little money to do it right and save the frustration of taking it into a dealer I am OK with that. So far I have about of hour of my time into it. No big deal

Chipster27
08-20-2007, 09:46 AM
:D Which 40 footer did you have? We've had a 28 WW for a couple years and been real happy with it. Considering a Full Throttle. What do you know, you can PM me if you want.