PDA

View Full Version : Voltmeter Gauge

HPBoats83
08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
If everything is operating properly, where is the gauge supossed to be at. I think I'm overloading my alternator because I have a perko switch with 2 seperate banks of batteries, 1 & 2. On bank 1 I have (1) optima. On bank 2 I have (3) additional optimas. I also have a pretty good Xantex 20 amp charger mounted in the boat that I charge the batteries with every night. When I run my single optima on bank 1 it shows about 13 volts. On bank 2 even running the boat full speed I can't get any more then 12 volts out of it. Is my alternator just way overloaded? Where is your gauge at when you are running your boat?

dicudmore
08-09-2007, 08:47 PM
first question...how accurate is your gauge? :D
I think normal voltage is ~12.8-14.2

HPBoats83
08-09-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't know how accurate my gauge is. More likely then not it's not my gauge being in-accurate it would be the shitty job the manufacture did wiring it would probably be more of the case.

dicudmore
08-09-2007, 09:19 PM
I will save any Team Hawaiian basing for at the river :D
Sounds like normal running voltage to me...remember the gauge is showing alt output, if the batteries are fully charged the gauge is gonna read lower...

HPBoats83
08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Usually it doesn't seem to charge or atleast the gauge doesn't increase later in the day as the batteries loose charge due to the stereo. Where is your gauge(s) when you are running your boat? How many volts?

HPBoats83
08-10-2007, 07:02 AM
How can you hook up an actual voltmeter (not a gauge) to the alternator to check how many amps the alternator is putting out? I have the mando alternator with the bosch mount on the volvo penta so it's a little funky design.

voodoomedman
08-10-2007, 07:07 AM
I've got two interstates on each side of the perko. Batteries fully charged and key turned, Perko on all, meter shows about 12. Same scenario with the boat running and I am at about 14.

Cigalert
08-10-2007, 07:12 AM
How can you hook up an actual voltmeter (not a gauge) to the alternator to check how many amps the alternator is putting out? I have the mando alternator with the bosch mount on the volvo penta so it's a little funky design.
Something like this should work for reading amps right off the single wire on the alt.
http://www.seisco.com/Images/service-check4.jpg

Baja Big Dog
08-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Around 14 volts...but as satated earlier check the batteries at the batteries with a good DVM, no need to rewire your boat if the wiring is faulty from the boat mfg (doubtful, not a lot they could do wrong with a volt meter), more that likely its the meter. No need to change it if you know how inaccurate it is, but thats a little Mickey Mouse", volt meters are cheap.

gramps
08-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Have you ever though about running one of these http://www.dualpro.com/new/px3.html for you 2nd bank? I have one on my bass boat, works great.

HPBoats83
08-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Have you ever though about running one of these http://www.dualpro.com/new/px3.html for you 2nd bank? I have one on my bass boat, works great.
That is really cool I will have to check that out more later. Thanks for the info though.
James