PDA

View Full Version : Beheaded rattlesnake sends man to hospital

fat rat
08-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Beheaded rattlesnake sends man to hospital
Rural Washington man thinks heÂ’s killed the reptile and is then bitten by it
Slide show
Updated: 9:36 a.m. ET Aug 10, 2007
PROSSER, Wash. - Turns out, even beheaded rattlesnakes can be dangerous.
ThatÂ’s what 53-year-old Danny Anderson learned as he was feeding his horses Monday night, when a 5-foot rattler slithered onto his central Washington property, about 50 miles southeast of Yakima.
Anderson and his 27-year-old son, Benjamin, pinned the snake with an irrigation pipe and cut off its head with a shovel. A few more strikes to the head left it sitting under a pickup truck.
Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“When I reached down to pick up the head, it raised around and did a backflip almost, and bit my finger,” Anderson said. “I had to shake my hand real hard to get it to let loose.”
Venom was spreading
His wife insisted they go to the hospital, and by the time they arrived at Prosser Memorial Hospital 10 minutes later, AndersonÂ’s tongue was swollen and the venom was spreading. He then was taken by ambulance 30 miles to a Richland hospital to get the full series of six shots he needed.
The snake head ended up in the bed of his pickup, and Anderson landed in the hospital until Wednesday afternoon.
Mike Livingston, a Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist, said the area where the AndersonÂ’s live is near prime snake habitat. But he said he had never heard of anyone being bit by a decapitated snake before.
“That’s really surprising but that’s an important thing to tell people,” he said. “It may have been just a reflex on the part of the snake.”
If another rattlesnake comes along, Anderson said heÂ’ll likely try to kill it again, but said heÂ’ll grab a shovel and bury it right there.
“It still gives me the creeps to think that son-of-a-gun could do that,” he said.
More from MSNBC.com

Daytona100
08-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Wow dangerous to the end.:D

FastTimmy
08-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Worst part is at that point it is just a reflex. There is no venom control, it will just pump you full.

Schiada76
08-10-2007, 01:34 PM
We used to have rattlesnake roundups and would skin then BBQ the rattlers.
Even when they were skinned if you poked them the head head end would turn towards you.:eek:

RitcheyRch
08-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Scary stuff

topless
08-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Scary stuffYeah it is scary ya Dork Fish. LOL

fat rat
08-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah it is scary ya Dork Fish. LOL
No hating in my thread Topless!:D

YeLLowBoaT
08-10-2007, 02:08 PM
moral of the story is... you had a shovel in your hand... use it.

topless
08-10-2007, 02:13 PM
No hating in my thread Topless!:DYou're no fun.:mad: :D :D

rrrr
08-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Not very smart.....I learned that when I was about 8 years old.
Me and my brothers started catching them live about then.......mom wasn't too happy when we brought 'em home.....:D :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-10-2007, 03:59 PM
how long do they have to be dead before they stop doing that?:jawdrop:

rrrr
08-10-2007, 04:07 PM
About an hour......but it's not a good idea to verify that. :D :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-10-2007, 04:20 PM
About an hour......but it's not a good idea to verify that. :D :D
LOL!! I will not be the one to let anyone know for at least a week.. :D :D

Schiada76
08-10-2007, 04:37 PM
We would put them in the freezer to keep them from "striking" when skinned out.:D It was freakin bizzare watching a skinned out 4' long piece of meat moving around.
RRR we kept live ones in an aquarium in a friends yard, it was a blast feeding them rats.:sqeyes: :sqeyes: :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-10-2007, 04:42 PM
We would put them in the freezer to keep them from "striking" when skinned out.:D It was freakin bizzare watching a skinned out 4' long piece of meat moving around.
RRR we kept live ones in an aquarium in a friends yard, it was a blast feeding them rats.:sqeyes: :sqeyes: :D
are you skinning something in your avatar? :jawdrop: :D

rrrr
08-10-2007, 04:42 PM
LMAO!! We fed 'em mice......The snake would hit the mouse, it would make about a half a lap around the aquarium before it fell over dead....:jawdrop: :D :D

Tom N
08-10-2007, 04:56 PM
My home is in an area with a heavy population of cotton mouths, eastern diamond back and pygmy rattlesnakes. After encountering these snakes I did some research on the dangers of living in their habitat....of course using common sense will most likely prevent any harm to you.
The interesting fact I read was that 90% of snake bite victims are intoxicated males that were bitten on the hand trying to grab the snake.

Debbolas
08-10-2007, 05:09 PM
When I was in the Forest Service, the firemen would kill them with a shovel, then we would BBQ them. Tasted just like chicken. Looked weird though, all curled up around the BBQ.

TRIMMIN
08-10-2007, 07:02 PM
I just picked up a 410 Snake Charmer from Wal Mart. Nice little gun. Hope I don't have to use it. We have only killed one on property. I have seen Kings here which are nice, as they can take out a rattler too.

Baja Big Dog
08-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Been killin and eatin for years....you have to bury the head deep...they claim the dried venom on the fangs will make you sick years after the are dead.:eek:

RitcheyRch
08-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Come on, show the Dork Fish some love. :D
Yeah it is scary ya Dork Fish. LOL

DeathFlightMedic
08-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Well.......at least I know I will always have a job
They are good eat'n though