PDA

View Full Version : Stand-up jetski - what age???

RiverToysJas
08-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Recent tragedy aside.....Charley got me thinking about this....
Does the thought of a 9yo navigating the river on stand-up jetski sound strange to anyone else?
It takes practice and strength to get the hang of one of those things. It just doesn't sound right that a 9yo was cruising down river on one. As far as I know, it's not legal, not that that means it couldn't happen.
I never owned a standup, but I've ridden them a few times when I was younger....does a 9yo on one sound strange to anyone else?
Maybe kids that age ride them all the time, I'm just not aware of it.
Thoughts???
RTJas.

Mrs.Racer277
08-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Hubby and I debated this last night....We owned stand ups from 84 - 2000?
I hated the river on my stand up. Toooo much work.:rolleyes: I would not have kids on a ski on the weekends in Havi. Period End of Story. I did not think there was anything wrong with a Thursday though. Hubby said NO WAY!! 9 years old way to young. Only in a cove, away from others.

Cole Trickle
08-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Recent tragedy aside.....Charley got me thinking about this....
Does the thought of a 9yo navigating the river on stand-up jetski sound strange to anyone else?
It takes practice and strength to get the hang of one of those things. It just doesn't sound right that a 9yo was cruising down river on one. As far as I know, it's not legal, not that that means it couldn't happen.
I never owned a standup, but I've ridden them a few times when I was younger....does a 9yo on one sound strange to anyone else?
Maybe kids that age ride them all the time, I'm just not aware of it.
Thoughts???
RTJas.
At 8 years old I was better than most adults on a stand up. We also ran in blythe where there were no 80 mph 30' boats.
There were still accidents but nothing like today's events.
I would let my kid ride in a cove or in a empty stretch of the lower river with me close by.Stand ups typically take skill and are much slower than the newer sit down skis. (I would never turn a young kid loose on a big weekend or ona busy part of the lake)

riverracerx
08-14-2007, 08:38 AM
I started riding a stand up jet ski in 1980. I was 9 years old. I became extremely proficient on it very quickly.
Keep in mind in 1980 when I pulled the jet ski out of my dad's truck on the ramp people came over and asked what it was. When stopped at the gas station we had people asking where the snow was we were going to take that snowmobile to.
There were ALOT less people on the water with much smaller, slower boats than these days.
The motor in the ski was 400cc. Capable of approx 35mph.
Like I said, I have been riding since I was 9 and I raced for over 8 years. I have the utmost respect for the HP to weight ratio these machines have. Especially the 250HP machines that do 70mph out of the box today.
It is a different time, and no matter who you are, or what you are driving/riding... at 50mph anything that hits you will KILL you.

Cole Trickle
08-14-2007, 09:05 AM
I started riding a stand up jet ski in 1980. I was 9 years old. I became extremely proficient on it very quickly.
Keep in mind in 1980 when I pulled the jet ski out of my dad's truck on the ramp people came over and asked what it was. When stopped at the gas station we had people asking where the snow was we were going to take that snowmobile to.
There were ALOT less people on the water with much smaller, slower boats than these days.
The motor in the ski was 400cc. Capable of approx 35mph.
Like I said, I have been riding since I was 9 and I raced for over 8 years. I have the utmost respect for the HP to weight ratio these machines have. Especially the 250HP machines that do 70mph out of the box today.
It is a different time, and no matter who you are, or what you are driving/riding... at 50mph anything that hits you will KILL you.
Yep...I learned on the old school blue and white kawi 440. Still have a 550 and X2:)

riverracerx
08-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Shattered my fib/tib on an X2. Same year I took 3rd in the state on my Novice Limited.
Drag that leg baby!

Dave C
08-14-2007, 09:26 AM
I've seen some teenagers operate watercraft more proficiently than some so called "adults"

Cole Trickle
08-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Shattered my fib/tib on an X2. Same year I took 3rd in the state on my Novice Limited.
Drag that leg baby!
The X2 has always been my favorite carver. It's a heavy pig but loves to lay on it's side.
You get the check I mailed?

Mrs.Racer277
08-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I've seen some teenagers operate watercraft more proficiently than some so called "adults"
I agree 100% :)

Danhercules
08-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Still have my 82 440. I rode it when I was 7 or so in the coves at Havasu. A little older in Laughlin and Bullhead all day long. If the child is instructed well on how to operate and the rules of the road err water, I think its fine. Yea, now days there is a law that makes it illigal, so I would not let my kid do it now unless in a cove with no one around.

riverracerx
08-14-2007, 09:40 AM
You get the check I mailed?
Yes, thanks. I spent it on hookers and candy. :D
Lets take your 550 and X2 out!

Cole Trickle
08-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Sweet....one will give you a cavity and the other will give you a fat lip:D
They haven't been started in 5 years. I just ordered a new matt for the 550 and have heard I might need to re build the carbs before they will run? I hope to have them ready to go late october for a blythe trip.

Mrs.Racer277
08-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Sweet....one will give you a cavity and the other will give you a fat lip:D
They haven't been started in 5 years. I just ordered a new matt for the 550 and have heard I might need to re build the carbs before they will run? I hope to have them ready to go late october for a blythe trip.
Lake Lice :eek: :D :D :D

Cole Trickle
08-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Lake Lice :eek: :D :D :D
Don't hate.....I'm an emanicpated rider as I started in the 80's:D ;)
You won't see me riding a newer sit down model:devil:

RiverDave
08-14-2007, 10:04 AM
I can't remember how old I was when I got my 1st 440 (stand up).. I road that thing every morning at 6:00 :jawdrop: before the river got crowded. I also remember upgrading to the 550, and thinking that this thing was the shiznit... LOL I don't think I was much more then 6 or 7 when I got the 440.. As others echoed, we didn't go out riding when it was crowded.
BTW, it only took one "close call" for me to look over my shoulder (no matter what I'm driving) for the rest of my life.
RD <---- in town today

riverracerx
08-14-2007, 10:04 AM
I only consider them lake lice if they don't fit in the bed of a truck.
http://www.jetpilot.com/team_gallery_images/344.jpg
I want to restore a 550 and paint it like this.

Mrs.Racer277
08-14-2007, 10:05 AM
You know better then that.:rolleyes: :D
I loved my 1200.
Still like about getting a stand up again. :)

Mrs.Racer277
08-14-2007, 10:07 AM
I only consider them lake lice if they don't fit in the bed of a truck.
http://www.jetpilot.com/team_gallery_images/344.jpg
I want to restore a 550 and paint it like this.
LOL
I loved my 550. Hubby bought me a 750 and I was sad when my 550 sold.:(

riverracerx
08-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Don't laugh (too loud) but my 550 was painted like this only metallic purple and hot pink. I was cool back then!! :D

Mrs.Racer277
08-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Don't laugh (too loud) but my 550 was painted like this only metallic purple and hot pink. I was cool back then!! :D
Mine was Purple and Green (way before seadoo). Had a custom pad from jet trim to match. :D

Old Texan
08-14-2007, 10:31 AM
A Jet Ski is like most anything ridable. If you are under the right conditions and have the proper supervision to provide the safety and training required, it's a good thing. Ground rules need to be established and the youth need to know their limitations and respect for the equipment.
Should a 9 year old be allowed to ride in open water unsupervised, NO. In a safe area with an adult knowledgable of safety and conditions, YES.
We'd be a lot safer and secure on the waterways and highways if a bunch of today's adults had received knowledgable training at an early age.
I've had far more bad experiences with adult PWC operators than I've had with teenagers. Same with boats.
Some say the better DCB operators are mature juveniles rather than immature adults......(Sorry K, couldn't resist. :devil: :D )

DUNDUN
08-14-2007, 10:36 AM
i started riding them about when i was 9... i started in a cove and stepped up two summers later to open water, in front of camp.. then when i was about 13 or 14 i was allowed to take dam runs... nontheless, it sounds like the kid had it wired if they were cruising down river..

Debbolas
08-14-2007, 10:46 AM
I use to LOVE stand up jet ski-ing :D
FUN;)

Boatcop
08-14-2007, 10:47 AM
What we here think is of no concern.
All that matters is that it is ILLEGAL for a 9 year old to operate any kind of watercraft alone.
Just for clarification, legal age in AZ is 12. In CA it's 16.

Danhercules
08-14-2007, 11:12 AM
I had a sticker.......
I'd rather quit than sit! :D

Boatcop
08-14-2007, 11:28 AM
What was the law back in say.. 79?
Not that it matters now. I am just curious what a couple lawyers let there kids get away with. :eek:
No restrictions back then. The first age limit laws for CA and AZ went into effect 1989-1990.
There is a provision for boats with less than 10 HP, so kids can go out in fishing small boats. (All PWCs are above the 10 HP limit.)

ratso
08-14-2007, 11:31 AM
I think if the kid can spell better than most of the people on this site, he should be smart enough to handle a jet ski... :D
The people that don't have the mentality of a 3rd grader is what scares me...:jawdrop:

Jbb
08-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Some say the better DCB operators are mature juveniles rather than immature adults......(Sorry K, couldn't resist. :devil: :D )
Tex!.....stop hating.....:D
RD SUX!

BoatPI
08-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Interestingly enough the CA law was INCREASED 10+ years ago as a result of a PWC colission between two PWC's and a pontoon boat.
One 13 or so year old was KILLED. the details were NOT pretty.
The location of this fatal colision, NOT involving alcohol.......................................RIVE R AT I-40 BRIDGE!!!!!!!!!!!

ratso
08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Interestingly enough the CA law was INCREASED 10+ years ago as a result of a PWC colission between two PWC's and a pontoon boat.
One 13 or so year old was KILLED. the details were NOT pretty.
The location of this fatal colision, NOT involving alcohol.......................................RIVE R AT I-40 BRIDGE!!!!!!!!!!!
That should skew the statistics... something like 95% of jet ski fatalaties are adults over the age of 18?

77charger
08-14-2007, 03:05 PM
first time i rode one i was about 12 got use to them very fast.Still wouldnt mind buying one again.
besides back then i could probably ride one alot longer than now.

RiverToysJas
08-14-2007, 03:39 PM
besides back then i could probably ride one alot longer than now.
:idea: Why, you don't weigh anymore???
RTJas :D

sintax
08-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I started riding around 8 yrs old too, around 88 i'd guess. We'd mostly hangout in the coves and day camp. Hell my first time on one i rode on the nose of my dads friends 550 as he blasted around the cove. As you can tell my parents loved me.... at least i had a life vest on? :confused:
After that 2nd full year on the water i was a pretty solid rider, I had a 550 of my own that I liked better then my parents 650's mainly due to weight.
I still have a 550, its all white, with the PJS sticker kit and a blue hydroturf mat.

Screemy1
08-14-2007, 04:14 PM
What we here think is of no concern.
All that matters is that it is ILLEGAL for a 9 year old to operate any kind of watercraft alone.
Just for clarification, legal age in AZ is 12. In CA it's 16.
BUZZZZZ KILLLLLLL...... in the right conditions.... any age can operate anything...... like a truck on a farm, quad around your desert campsite, ski in a private cove...... laws are supposed to be guidelines anyways.... :jawdrop: j/k......