PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean To Re-Enter Limited Production in 2008

fat rat
08-14-2007, 10:57 AM
DeLorean To Re-Enter Limited Production in 2008
By Rob Beschizza July 30, 2007 | 11:40:35 AMCategories: Automotive
Normally, this would be the sole province of our car blog, Autopia, but the DeLorean has a special place in the hearts of technology lovers, so its forthcoming return--yes, new DeLoreans are coming--is too exciting to ignore. The Houston refurb outfit that nabbed the trademark, DeLorean Motor Co. (Texas), plans to start limited construction:
"With 200 of the original 2.8-liter V-6 engines still in stock and facing a dwindling supply of cars suitable for rebuilding, Espey figures that within a year or so they'll start making the cars from scratch. Their manufacturing plans are modest — maybe 20 or so cars a year. But it would be quite a comeback for a car that was given up for dead more than a quarter of a century ago."
No, it's not quite the modernized neo-DeLorean that we really want (Lotus has no idea how many people would wet themselves should it roll out a stainless steel, gull-winged Exige), but it will do.
The new DeLoreans will likely cost something more than $42,500, which is what the outfit currently charges to build one from scratch with refurbed parts. And you'll have to upgrade to the sports kit if you want a flux capacitor.
For the DeLorean, it's back to the present [LATimes]
Reddit It | Digg This | Add to del.icio.us

RitcheyRch
08-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Always did like the DeLorean although wish they had a better powerplant.

Wet Dream
08-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Didn't they use the Chevy Citation motors in these things? Or was it strictly moved into the Fiero as the 2M6? That 25 year old V6 can't compare jack to what the new V6's are putting out, they'll still be underpowered if they are using 200 longblocks and induction from that era. If they are using the block and plan on revamping the topside, it might work.

pw_Tony
08-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Let's hope they're not making cars just to transport Cocaine!
lol:D

Jbb
08-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I had one.....for its time it was a very nice handling car......bad blind spot....annoying doors......weak electrical system...and a real challenge to straighten squashed body panels.....were some of the bad points.....:D ....among others...:D

ratso
08-14-2007, 11:20 AM
A Cosworth Vega would run circles around those turds...:D

Jbb
08-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Didn't they use the Chevy Citation motors in these things? Or was it strictly moved into the Fiero as the 2M6? That 25 year old V6 can't compare jack to what the new V6's are putting out, they'll still be underpowered if they are using 200 longblocks and induction from that era. If they are using the block and plan on revamping the topside, it might work.
Dont be so bitter..:D .....It had a Volvo 264 v-6

meaniam
08-14-2007, 11:21 AM
DeLorean To Re-Enter Limited Production in 2008
By Rob Beschizza July 30, 2007 | 11:40:35 AMCategories: Automotive
Normally, this would be the sole province of our car blog, Autopia, but the DeLorean has a special place in the hearts of technology lovers, so its forthcoming return--yes, new DeLoreans are coming--is too exciting to ignore. The Houston refurb outfit that nabbed the trademark, DeLorean Motor Co. (Texas), plans to start limited construction:
"With 200 of the original 2.8-liter V-6 engines still in stock and facing a dwindling supply of cars suitable for rebuilding, Espey figures that within a year or so they'll start making the cars from scratch. Their manufacturing plans are modest — maybe 20 or so cars a year. But it would be quite a comeback for a car that was given up for dead more than a quarter of a century ago."
No, it's not quite the modernized neo-DeLorean that we really want (Lotus has no idea how many people would wet themselves should it roll out a stainless steel, gull-winged Exige), but it will do.
The new DeLoreans will likely cost something more than $42,500, which is what the outfit currently charges to build one from scratch with refurbed parts. And you'll have to upgrade to the sports kit if you want a flux capacitor.
For the DeLorean, it's back to the present [LATimes]
Reddit It | Digg This | Add to del.icio.us
i am confused here. can you buy an original new delorean for 42k? if so i would like more info. if not i would like to see pics of the new delorean

Jbb
08-14-2007, 11:22 AM
A Cosworth Vega would run circles around those turds...:D
But it had to keep stopping to pick up the rusty panels that kept falling off....:D

ratso
08-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Dont be so bitter..:D .....It had a Volvo 264 v-6
I bought my first wife a nice used Pinto, with blown out brake light bulbs...:D

Jbb
08-14-2007, 11:24 AM
It was the thought that counted.....the ultimate Irony was the Ohio Players 8 track Fire that was in the Craig stereo......:D

ratso
08-14-2007, 11:32 AM
It was the thought that counted.....the ultimate Irony was the Ohio Players 8 track Fire that was in the Craig stereo......:D
I upgraded to the 3 band equalizer for her too...:)

RitcheyRch
08-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Keep the Pinto out of this thread or you will piss off Jordy. :D

HavasuSelect
08-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Are there gonna be any improvements to the 1.1 jiggawat flux capacitator?

fat rat
08-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Volvo engine
The powerplant is usually referred to as a PRV6 which is the european version of the Volvo 6-cylinder sports engine.
The engine was developed jointly by Peugot, Renault, and Volvo (hence its name). The basic engine is designated as a Volvo B28F and some parts houses can cross reference parts to this engine.