PDA

View Full Version : Scratching dog

Danhercules
08-14-2007, 04:37 PM
I dont see fleas. I dont see a rash. Why is she chewing and scratching? Any ideas?

RitcheyRch
08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Allergies or dry skin.
I dont see fleas. I dont see a rash. Why is she chewing and scratching? Any ideas?

Ziggy
08-14-2007, 04:39 PM
could be the start of a hot spot

Big Inch
08-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Is she scooting her butt across the carpet? :)

vee-driven
08-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Maybe you dropped some bbq sauce on her.

Rexone
08-14-2007, 04:47 PM
could easily be skin or food alergies.
and sometimes fleas are hard to spot unless there's alot depending on the dog.

fatboy95
08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Allergies or dry skin.
could be a food allergy

Miss Perfect
08-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but it could be a food allergy ;)

repo man
08-14-2007, 05:36 PM
ditch the pedigree and buy some real food. i recommend natural choice lamb&rice

Rexone
08-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Could be a food alergy.

Phat Matt
08-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Have you noticed your dog not sleeping much? Maybe he is on meth. Tweakers scratch a lot at nothing. :D
Nobody thought of that one did they. Then again it could be a food allergy. :)

RiverOtter
08-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Many dogs are allergic to dog food contining yellow corn. Look at the label and most dog foods have that as one of the top 3 ingrediants. We switched our golden to Nutrous Lamb and Rice. Really seemed to help.

topless
08-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Could it be a food allergy? Seriously, it doesn't take many fleas to make them do this sometimes. My dog does this too and I never see fleas so I now use Frontline on her and she stopped.

Rexone
08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Could it be a food allergy? Seriously, it doesn't take many fleas to make them do this sometimes. My dog does this too and I never see fleas so I now use Frontline on her and she stopped.
Same experience. It only takes a few fleas to bite and make em scratch. I use frontline too.
It also could be a food alergy.

topless
08-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Same experience. It only takes a few fleas to bite and make em scratch. I use frontline too.
It also could be a food alergy.I was thinking the same thing, I'm glad you brought that up.

maxwedge
08-14-2007, 06:47 PM
My dog had the same problem about a month ago, so I treated her with some advantage to kill the fleas, even though I didn't see any fleas. Didn't help, so I used some medicated shampoo from the pet store, didn't help, so I went back to the vet this past Saturday thinking it might be Mange, but the vet checked for mange mites and didn't find any, said it looked like a skin infection, possible caused by allegies to fleas I might have killed a while back, then she gave me some antibiotics, and a different medicated shampoo. That was three days ago and it finally seems to be getting a little better. Personally I think it's all a scam by the vet to keep making money.
Oh by the way, she is already eating what's supposed to be good food (Natures Recipie) so we ruled that out hopfully.:D

dmontzsta
08-14-2007, 06:48 PM
She wants my dog to mount her. :D

shueman
08-14-2007, 06:50 PM
It's the HEAT; dry skin. Mine does the same thing. Flea powder will keep 'em more comfortable (or baby powder). I like to rinse her off, let her dry, then powder her all over.

Lana
08-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Dan,
It's either allergies or hot spots, my dog get them too when it's really hot like this, it drives me insane. You can go to the pet store and get a hydrocortisone medicated itch lotion, after bathing put it on, that seems to work for mine.

Rexone
08-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Personally I think it's all a scam by the vet to keep making money.
What's your wife's view?

Danhercules
08-14-2007, 07:09 PM
On the food, I use a all natural food that gets delivered to the house. She has been on it for over a year. I dont think she all of a sudden got a allergy from it.
Hot spots, can you see them in the skin?
I dont think its the food.
Her last flea med was 3 weeks ago, time for it again?
I dont think it could be the food.
I think its bath time and flea med time.
Not the food. :D
Thanks guys.

Lana
08-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Hot spots, can you see them in the skin?
Dan,
I hope this helps.
What is a "hot spot"?
A hot spot is a localized area of skin inflammation and infection. The infection can be superficial or deep. Other common names for this condition include: moist dermatitis, and acute moist dermatitis
What is the medical name for this condition?
Also known as "pyotraumatic dermatitis", these common skin lesions are usually caused (and made worse) by biting, licking, or scratching. Broken down, "pyo-" refers to "pus", "-traumatic" refers to self-inflicted trauma of biting, licking, scratching, and so on, and "dermatitis" means inflammation of the skin.
What are the signs of a hot spot?
Redness, oozing, pain, and itchiness are hallmark signs. Hair loss is commonly present. Sometimes hair can mat over the lesion, obscuring the size and degree of the problem. These lesions can appear suddenly, and grow rapidly. It is common for an owner to notice a small area of inflamed skin in the morning (perhaps an inch or couple centimeters in diameter) and come home from work to be met with a large area the size of the palm of a hand. The dog is usually highly agitated, and will not leave the area alone. Some dogs will even growl or snap if the area is touched.
What causes a hot spot?
There is usually an inciting factor to initiate the extreme licking and scratching behavior. Look for fleas, mites, or other external parasites, an insect sting or bite, allergies (food, inhalant, contact), or injury (skin wound, scrape, etc.). Some animals have been known to "start" a hot spot out of boredom or stress-related psychological problems.
What can I do to treat a hot spot?
The first thing to do is speak with your veterinarian. Due to the rapidity of spread and possibility of deeper skin infection, it is wise to start treatment with your vet. Also, these hot spots can be very painful to the animal -- caution is advised, use a muzzle if need be for your protection.
Shave the area. The first treatment for hot spots is to dry them out and get air to the area. Hair loss is a feature of hot spots, but hair can also mat over the inflamed area, covering up a potentially much more severe and large problem.
Cleanse the area with cool water and a gentle skin cleanser.
Cool compress the area 2-4 times a day with a cool wet washcloth.
Medications - Depending on the severity and size of the hot spot, your veterinarian may prescribe oral antibiotics, topical drying sprays or medications, and/or special shampoos.
Prevention of licking, biting, scratching -i.e. Elizabethan collar
Additional home remedies that can be used until you can see your vet:
tea bag compresses (black or green tea) to help dry the area out. Tea can be used as a wash or as a compress.
Domeboro's (Burow's) solution (aluminum acetate) - available over-the-counter at pharmacies to help dry the skin out. Can be used as a compress or as a spray.
Hydrocortisone creams - Some people advocate using a thin film of an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream. I would recommend talking to your vet first -- in general, creams and ointments only serve to "gunk up" the area and prevent proper drying if used incorrectly. Also, if the pet licks it, you want to make sure that it isn't toxic.

Danhercules
08-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Lana,
You got any "hot spots"? :D
Thanks for the info. I think I am gonna give my wennie a bath and wash it real good. Lots of soap and lather. Then maybe some powder. Then some meds to get rid of the little basters that make her itch.:D
Ever play Dirty Minds?

XtrmWakeborder
08-14-2007, 07:47 PM
My g/f's dog has a yeast infection and it started with that. The poor dog is almost bald now and has black stuff all over her body. It's just now starting to go away after almost daily baths. medicine, and apple cider vinegar. Hopefully it's not that.

Lana
08-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Lana,
You got any "hot spots"? :D
Ever play Dirty Minds?
You can ask Tim that question, I just came from his house ;)
I hope Schatzi (sp) feels better real soon. Tell Amy hi for me, hope to see you guys soon!

Miss Managed Assets
08-14-2007, 08:50 PM
:) :smile: :) !!!

Lana
08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
:) :smile: :) !!!
Will I ever see you guys this summer??:confused:

Miss Managed Assets
08-14-2007, 10:08 PM
I hope so, our next river trip is Oct 13, 14, 15 unless we can pull something off earlier. Maybe we can get together closer to home before that. I'll give you guys a ring next week (were out of town this weekend).

78Eliminator
08-14-2007, 10:35 PM
My cat is that way. The vet told me that one single flea bite can cause a serious rash on some animals. So, you have to really keep up on the advantage, frontline or whatever you use for flea control. There is also a monthly pill called "sentinel" which prevents fleas AND heart worm which I use on both my dogs.

Beautiful Noise
08-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Dan,Have you ever just thought about the Dog being allergic to You:rolleyes: :D :D