PDA

View Full Version : Ran Out of Fuel

uLtRADeNniS
08-15-2007, 02:25 PM
I ran out of fuel in my 2006 Powerstroke earlier.
I heard it is very bad to run a diesel out of fuel.:confused:
It was a bittch to fire back up.. I had to take off both fuel filters and fill them full of gas. It idled really sloppy for the 1st minute or so...now its running fine(I assume).
Is there anything I should watch for or am I ok?

djunkie
08-15-2007, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't say its bad, its just a pain to get the system primed. The diesels of today are a lot more forgiving in this department. But it may not be a good idea to fill the filter full of gas. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I am assuming you meant diesel fuel? :confused:

uLtRADeNniS
08-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Yes I meant fuel :D

SnoC653
08-15-2007, 02:41 PM
you didn't need to take the filters off and fill them to prime them. They would have filled up on thier own from the pump. On older diesels it was required to prime the injectors when you ran them out of fuel. On modern diesels they are self bleeding and prime themselves. While the diesel fuel does help lubricate the injector pump, running for a few seconds with no fuel in it does't hurt it. Biggest concern would be picking up trash from the bottom of the tank in your filters.

ultra27jay
08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
I ran out of fuel in my 2006 Powerstroke earlier.
I heard it is very bad to run a diesel out of fuel.:confused:
It was a bittch to fire back up.. I had to take off both fuel filters and fill them full of gas. It idled really sloppy for the 1st minute or so...now its running fine(I assume).
Is there anything I should watch for or am I ok?
Is there anything I should watch for or am I ok?:D :D :D ..........the fuel guage!!:D :D :D

riverbound
08-15-2007, 03:07 PM
On the pickup trucks, running them out of fuel is no problem. Our frieghtliner was recently ran out fo fuel and although you have to manually prime the system, it did cause some damage to one of the pumps and we had to have it replaced.
I ran my Old f350 out of gas once (the O/h display said I had 30 miles to empty) It did the same thing you described. and I drove it another 160k miles with never a problem.

Pussywhippled
08-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I've run out of fuel in my duramax 3 times in the last couple of months.
I don't know if it's because I'm an idiot or because I'm an idiot...

sleekcrafter
08-17-2007, 01:34 AM
Cycle the key several times allowing the fuel pump to run for the 20 seconds or so till it shuts down. This fills the filter area full of fuel, and anything prior to the fuel return, in the system.

rrrr
08-17-2007, 08:39 AM
I was watching the gauge.. The gas light just turned on...then a 1/4 mile I ran out. I always get another 40-50 miles before I run out. I think the heat has something to do with the sending unit (expanding vapors)??.
Must have been that Flying J heated fuel. ;) :D

Jerrys59
08-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Cycle the key several times allowing the fuel pump to run for the 20 seconds or so till it shuts down. This fills the filter area full of fuel, and anything prior to the fuel return, in the system.
Will this work on a 99 dodge diesel too?
i want to do my own fuel filter changes.

Pussywhippled
08-18-2007, 04:25 PM
On my Duramax I have to get under the hood and pump the little pumper dealie then hop in the truck and crank. Back and forth in and out of the truck for 15 to 20 minutes until it wants to start. Then once the truck does start, I have to feather the gas peddle for a few minutes.

uLtRADeNniS
08-18-2007, 06:57 PM
On my Duramax I have to get under the hood and pump the little pumper dealie then hop in the truck and crank. Back and forth in and out of the truck for 15 to 20 minutes until it wants to start. Then once the truck does start, I have to feather the gas peddle for a few minutes.
Maybe if more fuel stations supplied diesel fuel we woulnt have this problem. :idea: :D
I was with my buddy one night in Long Beach and he ran out in his Duramax. Went by 5+ stations, none which carried diesel. He had to the same thing you did. ...Boy was that scary being stuck there at 11pm on a Sunday. The fellas walking by staring at us looked like the guys you would see in a Rap video...but not as friendly.. ;)

Beer-30
08-18-2007, 07:27 PM
I've run out of fuel in my duramax 3 times in the last couple of months.
I don't know if it's because I'm an idiot or because I'm an idiot...
I dunno if this will help or not, but you might try this:
http://www.transferflow.com/Resources/gmtank.gif
Larger replacement fuel tanks for 2001-2007 GM pickups.
Short bed: 45 gallons (up from 26)
Long bed: 56 gallons (up from 34)

dicudmore
08-19-2007, 12:33 AM
I had that on one of my duramax trucks--best accessory I ever bought :D :D

JakeC.
08-19-2007, 09:22 AM
if you happen to run out again, witch it sounds like you might. instead of runing back and forth 15-20 times to prime the system. there is a bleeder valve right by the alternator and fuel injection control modual. just pump the little primmer like you already do, then when the primmer is hard to pump bleed the air out of the system. repeat this process until you get solid fuel out of it and no more air. this is the same process you should use when changing a fuel filter. this will save you a lot of time when trying to restart the truck. if you get all the air out, then it should start and run fine the first try.

Pussywhippled
08-19-2007, 11:34 AM
I think that there's a problem with my fuel system somewhere. The last 1/8 of the tank goes really fast and then when the light comes on I have about a half mile and I'm done...
There was someone on here a while back that had a hook up on the larger fuel tanks and we were going to do a group buy, but nothing ever came of it.

BenchRacer
08-22-2007, 07:18 PM
how about a link or a name as to where to locate tank?

uLtRADeNniS
08-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah..There is a place in Corona that sells them installed for 8-9 bills... I really need one...although Id probably still run it empty. If that group disount comes Ill buy one.

ultra27jay
08-22-2007, 09:17 PM
we at extreme trucks,
just installed a 55 gallon fuel tank in a customers 08 duramax ex cab long bed dulley today.
im a dealer for them let me know if u need any help with this. check out the website.www.xxtank.com i can also get the transflow but i have been doing a lot of the xxtanks they are lighter and cost less.

ultra27jay
08-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Yeah..There is a place in Corona that sells them installed for 8-9 bills... I really need one...although Id probably still run it empty. If that group disount comes Ill buy one.
give me a number im direct with both companys and thats pretty cheap. ill go to them to get my tanks, heck ill pick up 10 at a time. let me know thanks.

Beer-30
08-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Here ya go:
http://www.transferflow.com/

Bella
08-23-2007, 09:09 AM
2004 Ford Powerstroke light came on and ran out of fuel seconds later. put 5 gals in and cycle the key 5 to 10 times and it started right up. Ran a little rough but then cleared up.

Cole Trickle
08-23-2007, 10:29 AM
we at extreme trucks,
just installed a 55 gallon fuel tank in a customers 08 duramax ex cab long bed dulley today.
im a dealer for them let me know if u need any help with this. check out the website.www.xxtank.com i can also get the transflow but i have been doing a lot of the xxtanks they are lighter and cost less.
How much could you do an install for on a 06 CC/SB F350 4x4 PSD?
Shoot me a PM... going 1K miles would be the shit. (Goes the mileage computer still work?)

sigepmock
08-23-2007, 11:29 AM
I've got the 45 gal. Transfer flow tank in my 05 Chevy Dmax. CC shortbed. Best mod yet. It's awesome having the big tank. Not sure of the exact milage I get per tank but I can make it to Havasu and back not towing, and when I do tow I make it into town with at least a 1/4 tank left when I used to coast in on fumes with the stock tank.
Guage is pretty close...only thing is that when the needle is on empty there are about 8 gal still in the tank so you can go pretty far with the light on. I just fill up when the guage says empty and I know I'm safe. There have been a few time when the light was on and I couldn't find diesel.....that extra 8 gal came in very handy:confused:
I think I paid $850 direct from Transfer flow shipped to my house. Install was a 1/2 day with two people. Not hard at all just tough since the tank takes up all the open space under the bed.
Chris

ultra27jay
08-24-2007, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Cole Trickle;2750306]How much could you do an install for on a 06 CC/SB F350 4x4 PSD?
Shoot me a PM... going 1K miles would be the shit. (Goes the mileage computer still work?)[/QUOTE

ultra27jay
08-24-2007, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Cole Trickle;2750306]How much could you do an install for on a 06 CC/SB F350 4x4 PSD?
Shoot me a PM... going 1K miles would be the shit. (Goes the mileage computer still work?)[/QUOTE

DEMOMAN
09-06-2007, 08:37 PM
If you run out of fuel on the road and are having trouble restarting this is what you can do . Take a rag and get it damp with gasoline. open up your air filter box and hold the rag inside the opening of the intake pipe. Have someone turn the truck over and let it huff some gas fumes it should start up and prime the fuel system pretty quick. Hold on to the rag real tight because those turbos suck pretty hard. This may not be the best way to restart them but it can get you out of a bind pretty quick.

Baja Big Dog
09-23-2007, 09:04 AM
If you run out of fuel on the road and are having trouble restarting this is what you can do . Take a rag and get it damp with gasoline. open up your air filter box and hold the rag inside the opening of the intake pipe. Have someone turn the truck over and let it huff some gas fumes it should start up and prime the fuel system pretty quick. Hold on to the rag real tight because those turbos suck pretty hard. This may not be the best way to restart them but it can get you out of a bind pretty quick.
HOLY SHIT...NOOOOOOOOTHIS IS A GREAT WAY TO SEE HOW FAR YOU AIR FILTER WILL FLY!! You have to be careful when using ANYSTARTING ASSISTANT FLUIDS (EITHER, GAS SOAKED RAGS ETC.) you will see Jesus real fast when you glow plugs turn on. Thats why the stickers all over the newer trucks...NO EITHER. If you know how to do it it works, but if you not familuar don't try it!!!
A lot of "old" starting methods worked fine on larger trucks, and grandpa's tractor, but not on the moder glow plug motors!!

Xlration Marine
09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
HOLY SHIT...NOOOOOOOOTHIS IS A GREAT WAY TO SEE HOW FAR YOU AIR FILTER WILL FLY!! You have to be careful when using ANYSTARTING ASSISTANT FLUIDS (EITHER, GAS SOAKED RAGS ETC.) you will see Jesus real fast when you glow plugs turn on. Thats why the stickers all over the newer trucks...NO EITHER. If you know how to do it it works, but if you not familuar don't try it!!!
A lot of "old" starting methods worked fine on larger trucks, and grandpa's tractor, but not on the moder glow plug motors!!
LMAO, That is some funny stuff. We had an old oil can that we would keep full of fuel to shoot into carbs. Watch out for the back fire. The good old days.

Brewzed
09-24-2007, 03:06 PM
http://www.aerotanks.com/
I had them install a diamond plate toolbox tank on my Duramax Dually.
It is the same height as the bed rails. Holds 45 gallons and has an 8" deep tool box. So with the stock tank I have 79 gallons. There's an electric transfer pump that pumps 1.5 gpm. I get down to a 1/4 tank, I just flip the swith as I'm cruisin down the road.

shrek
09-25-2007, 07:38 AM
That would be a perfectly acceptable procedure if you were starting a 1947 Cat D8, but I would not try that with any modern engine.
Shrek

DEMOMAN
10-06-2007, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=Baja Big Dog;2803599]HOLY SHIT...NOOOOOOOOTHIS IS A GREAT WAY TO SEE HOW FAR YOU AIR FILTER WILL FLY!! You have to be careful when using ANYSTARTING ASSISTANT FLUIDS (EITHER, GAS SOAKED RAGS ETC.) you will see Jesus real fast when you glow plugs turn on. Thats why the stickers all over the newer trucks...NO EITHER. If you know how to do it it works, but if you not familuar don't try it!!!
A lot of "old" starting methods worked fine on larger trucks, and grandpa's tractor, but not on the moder glow plug motors!![/QUOTE
Like I said, not the best way but it can get you out of a bind. Its not safe to lite your campfire with gas either but I am not going to rub sticks together all day.;)