PDA

View Full Version : Boating in Big Bear. Pro's & Con's

jrgaudettes
08-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Any one ever done it?
What is the speed limit?
Can a 26ft boat launch there?
Thinking of spending Labor Day up there, we are staying at a friends house with a its own dock for the weekend and I would rather use my boat then there pontoon. :D

phebus
08-15-2007, 04:40 PM
You have to get a permit. Bring your insurance policy, as you need to show proof of insurance, and that you have the required coverage (not sure on limits).

dicudmore
08-15-2007, 04:40 PM
pretty sure the speed limit is 35

jrgaudettes
08-15-2007, 04:43 PM
pretty sure the speed limit is 35
Then Pontoon it is.:D
You have to get a permit. Bring your insurance policy, as you need to show proof of insurance, and that you have the required coverage (not sure on limits).
Thanks Rick, If I decide to haul the boat up there I will bring all the info.
I could not get a hold of my friend to ask and I knew you all would know.

jrgaudettes
08-15-2007, 04:45 PM
I really just want to dock at there dock and crank the stereo.:D :D :D

lalhc
08-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Big Bear boating:
Pro's: scenery, fishing
Con's: Altitude, moss, shallow coves, cold water

Beer-30
08-15-2007, 04:48 PM
I hope you are fuel injected or you will be real rich without dropping some jet sizes.

lalhc
08-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Maximum boat length is 26' and maximum speed limit is 35 mph. Parking your boat in a slip and cranking the stereo sounds good.

jrgaudettes
08-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Maximum boat length is 26' and maximum speed limit is 35 mph. Parking your boat in a slip and cranking the stereo sounds good.
Looks like a pontoon and a boombox for me.:D
I hope you are fuel injected or you will be real rich without dropping some jet sizes.
Yup just an HO
Big Bear boating:
Pro's: scenery, fishing
Con's: Altitude, moss, shallow coves, cold water
Pro's sound good but the con's I could live without.

phebus
08-15-2007, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't want to tow the boat up. Rent something :idea:

lalhc
08-15-2007, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't want to tow the boat up. Rent something
I agree and take your fishing poles.

jrgaudettes
08-15-2007, 05:21 PM
I agree and take your fishing poles.
I wouldn't want to tow the boat up. Rent something :idea:
My buddy has a pontoon there that we can use. I think I will go that route.

BoatPI
08-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Plan on getting 5 MPG on your tow rig just getting it up their, and losing 25%hp on your boat due to 7,200 elevation.

jrgaudettes
08-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Here is a pic last Oct for October Fest.
I wanted to dock my boat sit on the deck and drink a few.
But his pontoon will work, that is his in the back ground.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u276/jrgaudettes/DSC00440.jpg

meaniam
08-15-2007, 05:28 PM
no you dont. your pemit is able to be bought 1 day or yearly. and i have never been asked to show insurance. even thou we have it.
call the big bear water dept they are the ones that run the lake operations.
cons cold water but not to bad. was up there last week. parking lots fill up fast at luanch.
pros. big lake. not to busy. clean water. clean air. and the patrol leave you alone. friendly people. good food all around with good bars and music.
dont bring your wake inot the no wake zone near damn. cut power early. i think it maybe 35mph. but cant really remember they dont pull you over for 45mph. bring 75 dollars to para glide behind a boat. it is fun. get there no later then 9am

jrgaudettes
08-15-2007, 05:30 PM
no you dont. your pemit is able to be bought 1 day or yearly. and i have never been asked to show insurance. even thou we have it.
call the big bear water dept they are the ones that run the lake operations.
cons cold water but not to bad. was up there last week. parking lots fill up fast at luanch.
pros. big lake. not to busy. clean water. clean air. and the patrol leave you alone. friendly people. good food all around with good bars and music.
dont bring your wake inot the no wake zone near damn. cut power early. i think it maybe 35mph. but cant really remember they dont pull you over for 45mph. bring 75 dollars to para glide behind a boat. it is fun. get there no later then 9am
Thanks for the info. Now I'm tempted again.

phebus
08-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Here you go:
Big Bear Lake
Rules and Regulations
General Regulations | Age Limitations | Operation | Waterskiing | Fishing | Swimming | For Your Safety
New State Boating Laws | Free Safe Boating Courses
General Regulations
LAKE PATROL officers are authorized to enforce all laws, ordinances, and regulations in effect on the waters of Big Bear Lake.
BOAT PERMIT must be properly displayed on all vessels. Any alteration to or trade of a permit will void the permit.
BOAT SIZE REQUIREMENTS: Maximum boat length is 26 feet. Manually propelled boats less than 12 feet in length and float-tubes are required to operate between the 5 MPH buoys and the shore.
PUBLIC DOCKS: located at the boat launch facilities are for loading and unloading only; do not leave boats unattended.
SANITATION: No refuse shall be thrown into or left on the shoreline of the Lake; no oil from a bilge pump shall be allowed to discharge into the Lake; no person shall deposit any type of fish, amphibian, or aquatic plant into the Lake.
VEHICLES are prohibited from driving on the Lake bottom. Vehicles must obey posted speed signs and operate in accordance with the Vehicle Code while on District property.
ANIMALS must be on a leash no more than 7 feet long while on District property.
OPEN FIRES are prohibited except at Forest Service designated campgrounds and picnic areas, or by special permit.
FIREWORKS are prohibited.
Age Limitations
PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF 16 are prohibited from operating any vessel with more than 15 horsepower.
PERSONS 12 THROUGH 15 years of age are prohibited from operating a vessel with more than 15 horsepower unless supervised on board by a person at least 18 years of age.
General Regulations | Age Limitations | Operation | Waterskiing | Fishing | Swimming | For Your Safety
Operation
RECKLESS OPERATION: No person shall operate a boat, waterski, or similar device in a reckless or negligent manner. The owner and operator are responsible for any damage caused by their boat, its wake, or its tow.
BOATING ACCIDENTS must be reported immediately to the Lake Patrol.
SPEED LIMIT: 35 MPH maximum; 10 MPH from sunset to 7:00 AM; 5 MPH between buoys indicating same and the shoreline; 3 MPH in Papoose Bay, Canvasback Cove, and Mallard Lagoon.
SAFETY EQUIPMENT: All boats must be equipped according to California Boating Law safety requirements.
MUFFLERS: No boat shall operate with excessive noise. H&N 654
LAUNCHING: Boats requiring trailers may be launched only from designated launch ramps. All other boats may be carried and launched at designated recreational or public access points around the Lake after obtaining a boat permit.
MOORING or tying to navigational markers is prohibited. Overnight mooring or beaching of boats along the shoreline is prohibited.
CHILDREN under the age of 12 are required to wear a personal flotation device while on board a vessel that is underway.
PUBLIC DOCKS located at the boat launch facilities are for loading and unloading only; do not leave a boat unattended.
PERSONAL WATERCRAFT shall maintain a 100 foot distance from all other boats while operating above wakeless speeds.
PERSONAL WATERCRAFT operators are prohibited from "spraying down" any person or vessel in the water.
PERSONAL WATERCRAFT riders shall wear personal flotation devices at all times.
Waterskiing
ALL BOATS engaged in waterskiing shall maintain a counter clockwise direction.
HOURS OF WATERSKIING are between 7:00 AM and sunset.
AN OBSERVER in addition to the operator is required and must be at least 12 years of age.
A RED FLAG must be displayed whenever a skier or equipment is in the water.
ALL BOATS engaged in waterskiing shall maintain a counter clockwise direction.
NO PERSON shall operate waterskis or similar device so as to endanger the life of any person..
WATERSKIERS shall wear personal flotation devices.
Fishing
FISHING is prohibited from the Dam or from within posted areas.
ANGLERS 16 YEARS OR OLDER must have a current California State fishing license properly displayed..
ALL FISHING REGULATIONS are strictly enforced.
Swimming
SWIMMING is allowed within 50 feet of the shore, within a designated swimming area, within 20 feet of a private dock, or as incidental or necessary to waterskiing, jetskiing, sailboarding or in an emergency.
SCUBA DIVING is prohibited.
For Your Safety
TROLLING FISHERMEN should display a white flag to indicate to other boaters in the area that a fishing line is trailing in the water behind the boat.
FISHING BOATS should not impede safe access for waterskiers entering or exiting a designated ski beach.
OPERATORS should maneuver their boats slowly and carefully in unfamiliar waters, since fluctuating Lake levels can cause unmarked natural or manmade hazards to occur.
SWIMMERS should always swim with a partner and swim with caution in unfamiliar water.
LIGHTNING STORMS can develop quickly in the mountains, and lightning frequently strikes the Lake's surface. Boaters are advised to seek shelter and safety quickly.
ICE COVERING BIG BEAR LAKE during the winter months is extremely dangerous, unstable, and deceptive. STAY OFF LAKE ICE!!
BE A SOBER BOATER!
New State Boating Laws Effective January 1, 2001
OPERATOR AGE LIMITS
Persons under the age of 16 are prohibited from operating any vessel powered by a motor of 15 horsepower or more, except for a sailboat that does not exceed 30 feet in length. The new law allows persons 12 to 15 years of age to operate motorboats of 15 horsepower or more if supervised on board by a person at least 18 years of age.
RECKLESS OPERATION DEFINITIONS FOR PERSONAL WATERCRAFT
New law prohibits personal watercraft (PWC) operators from undertaking unsafe or reckless practices, including jumping another vessel's wake within 100 feet of that vessel, operating at a rate of speed and proximity to another vessel so that either operator is required to swerve to avoid collision, and "spraying down" any person or vessel in the water.
WEARABLE LIFE JACKETS NOW REQUIRED FOR SMALL BOATS AND PERSONAL WATERCRAFT
All recreational vessels less than 16 feet in length, including canoes and kayaks, must carry Type I, II, III or V wearable personal flotation devices for each person on board. Prior to the new law, vessels under 16 feet were allowed to carry either a throwable or wearable flotation device for each person on board.
Free Safe Boating Course
United States Coast Guard Auxiliary
Big Bear Lake Flotilla 11-12
Free Safe Boating Courses Offered Locally!
If you are interested in taking a course in how to become a safer, more knowledgeable skipper, please call the MWD to sign up. Several courses are available throughout the summer including one for Personal Watercraft (PWC) operators. You will also learn about the new state laws affecting certain age groups and vessels under 16 feet. Many insurance carriers offer a discount for boat owners completing a safe boating course, so join in on the fun and save some money too! E-mail: Lake Patrol Office to sign up.
General Regulations | Operation | Waterskiing | Fishing | Swimming | For Your Safety
For information on this web site contact Webmaster
Big Bear Municipal Water District, All Rights Reserved.
No portion of the content of this site may be reproduced, republished, or redistributed.

duner21
08-15-2007, 05:40 PM
What's up man! Gonna miss you on havasu on labor day

jrgaudettes
08-15-2007, 05:58 PM
What's up man! Gonna miss you on havasu on labor day
Hey Brian, after Memorial Day and the 4th in Havasu we needed a break.
I changed my cell # I will forward the new one.
We were in Havasu last week Thur-Sun.
Leo

prop check
08-15-2007, 06:10 PM
we are heading to the cabin also we ussually rent a crappy pontoon for four hours it is cheaper than gas to go to the river to pick up the boat. and very relaxing to use it and drop it off. Check out the rentals before you drag your boat up there.
P.s.
Do not go around the small island near the dam there are shallow rocks on the back side of the abandoned resort.
good luck
P.C.

jrgaudettes
08-15-2007, 06:15 PM
we are heading to the cabin also we ussually rent a crappy pontoon for four hours it is cheaper than gas to go to the river to pick up the boat. and very relaxing to use it and drop it off. Check out the rentals before you drag your boat up there.
P.s.
Do not go around the small island near the dam there are shallow rocks on the back side of the abandoned resort.
good luck
P.C.
Thx, Probally use his pontoon as its already there. Thanks for the info on the rocks.

Riomouse911
08-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Re Big Bear, the weeds can get really think on the prop, so bring a knife to cut them free. And the area near the Morrison launch area (The N/E corner, closest to the airport I believe?) used to be shallow and rocky. I was waist deep about 125' from shore once about 4 years back. Hopefully the lake level is higher now than it was then.
Other than that, it's a good time!

77charger
08-15-2007, 07:08 PM
We went out there last month.Was pretty cool never boated there before weather was great water cold.We launched at the north shore ramp it can get crowded from what i saw but some people have no launching skills which made my wait pretty long.
My motor is carbed and did not have any problems running rich but like any non turboed,supercharged motor with altitude your power drops off.
We got our permit at the launch ramp also very easy process just pull up and pay.

2forcefull
08-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Hey Brian, after Memorial Day and the 4th in Havasu we needed a break.
I changed my cell # I will forward the new one.
We were in Havasu last week Thur-Sun.
Leo
Hey Leo, fun talk'n with you guys
Hope you're over the I'm sell'n the boat deal
you got a cool boat!!!

riverbound
08-15-2007, 07:34 PM
My family has been boating up there for almost 30 years. We mainly just pntoon it up there as we have one up there already. during the afternoon hours the wind picks up and does get a little choppy on the lake. If you do bring your boat and have a size or 2 smaller prop, you will have a great time. Carb'd boats have a harder time in the elevation. the lanuch ramps do fill up early so its best to luanch early. It is definitely a change of scenery up there and for the most part the cops leave you alone.
I would drag my boat up there, but having the toon up there makes things much easier (we also have a permanent mooring), so we dont have to deal with the launch lines.

selfmade
08-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Cool Leo What time should I be there;)

Dan Lorenze
08-16-2007, 06:06 AM
My inlaws have a house up in Big Bear, we've been taking the boat up there for the last couple of summers. Most have touched on the pros and cons. For me the best thing about Big Bear lake is that it's just different. It's not the river and it's not Havasu. It doesn't get that hot and even on a crouded day it doesn't take too long to pull the boat out. Even though the speed limit is 35 you'll still have a good time the lake's really not that big anyway to haul ass. Leo's pretty much leave you alone too. There's a nice little beach right next to Garstin Island that we go to, we bring lunch and our fishing poles and play our music. If you decide to go up there with your boat you'll probably have the nicest boat on the water, lots of fishing boats and Bayliner types. The drive from the back way is simple (18), just a few easy miles up the twisties and you're there.. Permits are easily purchased at many places, and I've never been asked for insurance. Basically the only real down falls are that the lake is always a bit choppy and the fumes from my poorly jetted Demon carb gasses us out at idle but not worth my time and effort to rejet for only a few hours of operation. I might see you there for Labor day.
Dan

jrgaudettes
08-16-2007, 02:34 PM
My inlaws have a house up in Big Bear, we've been taking the boat up there for the last couple of summers. Most have touched on the pros and cons. For me the best thing about Big Bear lake is that it's just different. It's not the river and it's not Havasu. It doesn't get that hot and even on a crouded day it doesn't take too long to pull the boat out. Even though the speed limit is 35 you'll still have a good time the lake's really not that big anyway to haul ass. Leo's pretty much leave you alone too. There's a nice little beach right next to Garstin Island that we go to, we bring lunch and our fishing poles and play our music. If you decide to go up there with your boat you'll probably have the nicest boat on the water, lots of fishing boats and Bayliner types. The drive from the back way is simple (18), just a few easy miles up the twisties and you're there.. Permits are easily purchased at many places, and I've never been asked for insurance. Basically the only real down falls are that the lake is always a bit choppy and the fumes from my poorly jetted Demon carb gasses us out at idle but not worth my time and effort to rejet for only a few hours of operation. I might see you there for Labor day.
Dan
Thanks for the info. I was thinking the 18 also.
What you said about the lake is what we are looking for, a nice relaxing holiday weekend on the water, plus I grew up in New Hampshire so a little cold water wont bother me.:D :D

jrgaudettes
08-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Cool Leo What time should I be there;)
Stanley, you and the family are always welcome.:D

meaniam
08-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking the 18 also.
What you said about the lake is what we are looking for, a nice relaxing holiday weekend on the water, plus I grew up in New Hampshire so a little cold water wont bother me.:D :D
there you have it the 26 foot limit. weather someone enforces it or not. i never needed to worry. it does get wind everyday in the afternoon. it would be awesome watching the thunderstorms build. it never go towards the airport side of the lake. so i never dealt with the weeds. which 90% of the lake wont be a problem. water has warmed up the past month. the boats do lose a bit of power. you wont be going like a mad man anyways up there. either way you will have fun in big bear.
the forth of july firework show is one of the best up there with the echos and everything

HavaSkank
08-16-2007, 03:29 PM
...and in the evening go into Chad's and pick a fight with the biggest biker in the bar. It's my favorite Saturday night activity after a few adult beverages.

jrgaudettes
08-16-2007, 04:02 PM
...and in the evening go into Chad's and pick a fight with the biggest biker in the bar. It's my favorite Saturday night activity after a few adult beverages.
LOL:D
there you have it the 26 foot limit. weather someone enforces it or not. i never needed to worry. it does get wind everyday in the afternoon. it would be awesome watching the thunderstorms build. it never go towards the airport side of the lake. so i never dealt with the weeds. which 90% of the lake wont be a problem. water has warmed up the past month. the boats do lose a bit of power. you wont be going like a mad man anyways up there. either way you will have fun in big bear.
the forth of july firework show is one of the best up there with the echos and everything
Thanks for the info. Just gonna cruise around and check things out.

Pheelin Phroggy
08-16-2007, 05:13 PM
funny.... my brother in law and I have had the distinct pleasure of being 86'd from Chads.... before dark!
If you see a 26' Advantage Party Cat.... white w/blue flame... that would be him.. he keeps it up there, and is always up for a drink hanging out in boulder bay.

HavaSkank
08-16-2007, 06:01 PM
My next husband will more than likely come from Chads.