PDA

View Full Version : I have the best job in the world

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
While many of you would probably think working with middle schoolers is crazy, I have to say, every day I think, "I can't believe they pay me to do this!" The kids are so awesome. As many of you know, last year was my first year teaching full time. I always thought that I would hate doing middle school. No intentions whatsoever even though I went through a middle school credential program (one of only 2 in the whole state). I always thought they were too immature, and that I was made for high school. I'm still trying to get over to the high school, but only because my kids are and will be going there.
Anyway. . .
Last June I got hired at the middle school 9 miles from my house (tough commute LOL) and thoroughly fell in love with the kids. Then at the end of last year I wondered, "How can I possibly enjoy next years kids as much as these guys?" But then, like a second child, you just do. They are just so funny. They still want a mommy-teacher, but they also want to be treated like an adult. It is a fine line to walk, but I really love doing it. I have students from last year coming in to hang out before school starts. They ask if I need help prepping for the day. That right there tells me that I was able to reach them. Another student today ( a new 7th grader) got lost with the crazy minimum day schedule. He messed up and went to 1st lunch, then couldn't find his P.E. teacher because they were all out on the field. He didn't know where else to go, so he came to my class. I guess he felt comfortable enough in the atmosphere I have created to walk into 36 students he didn't know and say "I don't know what's going on." So he stayed in my class through second lunch and I emailed his PE teacher later. It all worked out.
But just knowing that you are that "safe" spot for a child is extremely rewarding. I seriously have the best job in the world.
Please, if you think your job is the best, please share why.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Oh yeah, and I get two months off in the summer. :D

rrrr
08-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Being around 7th graders all day prolly helps you deal with Jeff...... :D :D

Ziggy
08-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Being around 7th graders all day prolly helps you deal with Jeff...... :D :D
LOL, that's the best smile I've had in days:D

XtrmWakeborder
08-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Umm I got to go wakebording, the aquarium, Angels games, bowling, the queen mary, and firm sponsered drinks after work on a few of those days. Pretty cool job, but it's only for the summer....:(

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-15-2007, 05:11 PM
That sounds pretty damm good. Hope your gig pays better than mine does. :D

The Doctor
08-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Thank Heavens there are people like you who love what they do! I've heard a lifetime of whining about people and their jobs (mostly because they feel they must compare theirs to "their perception" of all the others' who, on the outside looking in, seem so superior.) It's just very refreshing to hear your excitement about working with our future. It sure gives me hope. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
oh, by the way, I sell land and absolutely love what I do. I get to be a part of having people's dreams come true.

DILLIGAF
08-15-2007, 06:21 PM
I remember an old friend of mine that was a long term sub before she got hired to teach middle school. She was on a high and told me about this old vetran teacher (female) that told her.................
"While I admire your energy that you show for your job be forewarned....They will eventually steal your soul"
lol
That lady needed to retire....and shit :)

jeepinscott
08-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Angie,
I wish that all teachers had the attitude you have about your job. I am so glad you love your job. That makes it easier on the kids, you, your family and so on. I wish you a successful school year. I wish I had a teacher like you in middle school!
-MrsJeepinscott

XtrmWakeborder
08-15-2007, 07:20 PM
That sounds pretty damm good. Hope your gig pays better than mine does. :D
Not too bad, but i'm guessing you aren't teaching because of the pay...;)

bigq
08-15-2007, 07:27 PM
I would rather stick needles in my eyes:D
My wife works with elementary school kids and I don't see how she does it.;)

Baja Big Dog
08-15-2007, 07:30 PM
I would love to work with middle schoolers....I unfortunately have a group of preschoolers that I work with, but I have to pay them every two weeks...:mad:

Phat Matt
08-15-2007, 07:45 PM
I have students from last year coming in to hang out before school starts. They ask if I need help prepping for the day. That right there tells me that I was able to reach them.
They are probably just hot for teacher. :D

'75 Miller
08-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Congrats on your job. It's hard to say who's luckier...YOU for having a job you love, or THE KIDS for having such an enthusiastic teacher.
Based on your description of the respect they give you I assume you're in a nice area...that helps. My younger sister teaches 3rd graders in a "not-so nice" part of Philly, Pa. & I'm floored by the stories she tells about some of the little shits in her class. She too loves her job, but sometimes I wonder why!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Congrats on your job. It's hard to say who's luckier...YOU for having a job you love, or THE KIDS for having such an enthusiastic teacher.
Based on your description of the respect they give you I assume you're in a nice area...that helps. My younger sister teaches 3rd graders in a "not-so nice" part of Philly, Pa. & I'm floored by the stories she tells about some of the little shits in her class. She too loves her job, but sometimes I wonder why!
Not really what you would consider a "nice" area. Unless you have a thing for downtown Perris. But most of the kids haven't been corrupted yet. Many have issues (drug use in the house, poor as dirt, abuse, murdered family members, etc) but most are not quite gone yet. My goal is to provide a net before they reach out to gangs and/or drugs. The high school they will go to is my alma mater, so I understand where they come from pretty well and better than most of the other teachers. I think that gives me a leg up with them.

Outnumbered
08-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Thank Heavens there are people like you who love what they do! I've heard a lifetime of whining about people and their jobs (mostly because they feel they must compare theirs to "their perception" of all the others' who, on the outside looking in, seem so superior.) It's just very refreshing to hear your excitement about working with our future. It sure gives me hope. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
oh, by the way, I sell land and absolutely love what I do. I get to be a part of having people's dreams come true.
Agreed. Good post.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-16-2007, 05:49 AM
This is certainly one nice post to read.

spectratoad
08-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Angie,
I wish that all teachers had the attitude you have about your job. I am so glad you love your job. That makes it easier on the kids, you, your family and so on. I wish you a successful school year. I wish I had a teacher like you in middle school!
-MrsJeepinscott
Ahhh, give her a couple of years. :D Just kidding. It is great that you have the attitude you do. I have always thought about being a teacher but I think the parents would just push me over the edge

Dave C
08-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Yes you are crazy :D ... IMHO most teachers are saints because they are willing to put up with kids all day..... No way could some of us do that :eek:

eliminatedsprinter
08-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Glad you like it
My Dad taught Jr High School science for about 15 years, then High School for about 20. He currently is retired from LAUSD and works for Cal Tech (on an astro-physics research project). My Sister is an Elementary school teacher (Palmdale SD), my mother is a retired LAUSD elementary school teacher, my grandmother taught a full career for Burbank public schools. Several of my aunts, uncles and cousins are teachers and or principles. It would be safe to say I'm from a teaching family.
I myself am a bit of a glorified teacher who works in a clinical environment rather than the public schools.:)

Sin Cal
08-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Congrats to you Angie. There needs to be more teachers like yourself in our schools. I myself have worked with kids most of my life. I started a Non profit corporation 12 years ago. It is a residential program for abused, neglected and abandoned boys aged 9-18. I also set up a transitional housing program for boys aging out of foster care. Now i just lease out the property and assist when needed. Kids are our furture. Thanks for what you do. It must be the military brat in you:D