NEWS From BoatUS
Boat Owners Association of The United States
880 S. Pickett St., Alexandria, VA 22304
BoatUS News Room at www.BoatUS.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact: Scott Croft, 703-461-2864, SCroft@BoatUS.com
US District Court Ruling Threatens Recreational Boating
Legislative Solution, HR 2550, Gains Steam in Congress with 27 Co-sponsors
Without Congressional approval of corrective legislation or a successful legal appeal, a September 2006 court decision by the US District Court for Northern California designed to hold the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) accountable for the regulation of the discharge of ballast water from ocean going commercial ships will have unintended and serious consequences for recreational boating, according to Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS).
“As it stands now, a permit will be required for ‘normal operational discharges’ on every recreational boat – even your dinghy – in every state where you boat,” said BoatUS Vice President of Government Affairs Margaret Podlich. “This is an attempt to apply a complex permitting system designed for industrial dischargers to recreational boats that will not yield significant environmental benefits.”
Instead, BoatUS is pushing for passage of HR 2550 “The Recreational Boating Act of 2007”. It would continue a 34-year-old exemption applied to recreational boats and release the EPA from having to implement an expensive and bureaucratic national permit system for all recreational boats by September 30, 2008.
The original lawsuit was brought against EPA in an effort to control the spread of invasive species contained in commercial shipsÂ’ ballast water tanks. The tanks, which add stability, are filled overseas and then discharged in US waters when cargo is uploaded. Ballast water is a primary pathway for non-native species, such as the Zebra Mussel, to invade US waters.
However, 99% of recreational boats do not have ballast tanks, nor do they cross oceans in any significant numbers. For over three decades the EPA understood that everyday deck runoff, bilge water, engine cooling water, or grey water from sinks or showers, was not the same as commercial vessels discharging millions of gallons of imported ballast tank water. As a result, it exempted these normal operational discharges from the Clean Water Act permit system. But in 2006 the District Court ruled that EPA overstepped its authority, and started the clock on the September 30, 2008 permit implementation deadline.
BoatUS is urging all boaters to contact their legislators to co-sponsor HR 2550 which is a common sense solution designed to make the previous exemption for recreational boats permanent. “It’s important to know that HR 2550 does not weaken any existing environmental regulations for recreational boaters. The main sources of potential pollution from boats – oil, fuel, sewage and trash – are already regulated and will remain so,” added Podlich.
For more information on this issue, or for help contacting your legislators, go to http://www.BoatUS.com/gov BoatUS is the nationÂ’s leading advocate for recreational boaters with over 650,000 members.
Looks Like... another grass roots effort is going to be needed....
Larry
Lake Havasu

Cas
08-16-2007, 06:41 AM
there was a sticky about this same subject up until recently. I guess a real boating issue isn't important enough to leave it pinned at the top.
Just to ease your mind, most people won't do anything about it now but will surely complain should HR 2550 fail.

Jordy
08-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Just to ease your mind, most people won't do anything about it now but will surely complain should HR 2550 fail.
Bingo. Just like all the impending (now enacted) noise issues a couple years ago. :notam:
Oh, and since I posted this, I've emailed both of my senators and congressman. Pretty simple cut and paste, right from the website. They even give you links to find your representatives and help you get in touch with them. :)
I am writing to urge you to support H.R. 2550 “The Recreational Boating Act of 2007. This legislation would allow boating to continue in this country as a viable, healthy, family pastime, instead of being saddled with new regulations and permit requirements intended for commercial ships with ballast water tanks.
In 2006, a U.S. District Court decision struck down the 34-year permit exemption for recreational boats within the Clean Water Act. As a result, unless H.R. 2550 is passed, the EPA is required to develop and implement a permitting system for all boats in the U.S. (no matter the size or type) by September 30, 2008.
H.R. 2550 does not weaken or reverse any current environmental regulations. It simply allows boats to be operated the same way they are being operated this year, without an onerous and costly permit system.
There are an estimated 18 million recreational boats in the country, offering a great way of life to boaters and more than 850,000 jobs nationwide in the marine industry. H.R. 2550 is legislation that will keep boating intact. I urge you to actively support this legislation.
Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
Sincerely,

Racey
08-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Typical government bullshit, let's make everyone's life a hassle, spend millions on bureaucracy, and not accomplish a god damn thing.....
Hey EPA it's tooo fockin late anyway, your damn east coast zebra muscles have already spread like wildfire, and will soon be in every lake in the country. :mad:

PaPaG
08-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Typical government bullshit, let's make everyone's life a hassle, spend millions on bureaucracy, and not accomplish a god damn thing.....
Hey EPA it's tooo fockin late anyway, your damn east coast zebra muscles have already spread like wildfire, and will soon be in every lake in the country. :mad:
Thats how they guarantee their job security, wait til its to late and then pow hit us up with new laws and more bureaucracy so they can assure their job security. The don't do squat until it is to late then they over control with more laws, rules and staff...

voodoomedman
08-16-2007, 11:49 AM
I just sent out like 5 or 6 emails to various congressman, assembly, senators and such. Of course I really don't think the email to Barbara Boxer or Diane Feinstein will do anything.

riverracerx
08-16-2007, 11:53 AM
I heard it is illegal to piss off the back of your boat now too.

HavasuUncleLarry
08-16-2007, 06:15 PM
i am sorry... but you guys laugh at this.. but if they decide to enforce this new law..... NONE of you cAN Boat and you will complainn about having a say in things.... Some day you will realize that a LOT of people dont like high perfomacne or boaters in general and just so YOU know its the CALIFORINIA courts deciding this.. butwhat the helll most of you will just bitch and complain .. but thats good for those of us that moved here.. we will soon have the lake to ourselves and you in california will you will Have Senator Boxer....... oh hell why do i care none of you do.. you think havasu is just yiour fuc*king garbage dump... yes i am pissed..... so as a friend of mine said if you have a white license plate..and you dont like havaus .. stay home and if you do quit your fuc*ing ragging on us....
Enjoy you california state of mind.....

Cas
08-16-2007, 06:16 PM
ttt

Cas
10-28-2007, 10:03 AM
looks like we may have made a difference!! :)
NOTEBOOK
Boxer: Dumping law shouldn't apply to recreational boats
Tom Stienstra, Chronicle Staff Writer
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Sen. Barbara Boxer has promised to block a federal law that would require recreational boaters to get new permits before boating on San Francisco Bay, the Delta and coastal waters.
The new law is designed to create a permit to restrict the dumping of ballast water by large ocean-going ships because the practice has introduced foreign invasive species into U.S. waters. But the ruling, scheduled to take effect next year, included local recreational boaters.
"I don't think (boaters) should have to get these permits," Boxer said last week at a Senate hearing. "We are going to make sure that individual boaters do not need permits. That's as simple as it gets. That's my commitment, and it will happen. I will support that recreational boating and sport fishing should be allowed to continue as they always have, without individual permits."
Boxer, chairwoman of the Environment and Public Works Committee, also said: "We will begin work immediately to find a legislative solution that accomplishes both of these goals as soon as possible."
California has more than 900,000 registered boats. Boat owners in California spend an average of $1.2 billion per year, according to the National Marine Manufacturers Association.

Kim Hanson
10-28-2007, 10:27 AM
i am sorry... but you guys laugh at this.. but if they decide to enforce this new law..... NONE of you cAN Boat and you will complainn about having a say in things.... Some day you will realize that a LOT of people dont like high perfomacne or boaters in general and just so YOU know its the CALIFORINIA courts deciding this.. butwhat the helll most of you will just bitch and complain .. but thats good for those of us that moved here.. we will soon have the lake to ourselves and you in california will you will Have Senator Boxer....... oh hell why do i care none of you do.. you think havasu is just yiour fuc*king garbage dump... yes i am pissed..... so as a friend of mine said if you have a white license plate..and you dont like havaus .. stay home and if you do quit your fuc*ing ragging on us....
Enjoy you california state of mind.....
I like the way you think UncleLarry, I have been to Havasu once and love the place! It did shock me with the amount of beer cans all around the garbage cans though, it's like they are play garbageball and they missed and they just leave it there? It is sad to see people be so nasty to Havasu........( . )( . )......:(