PDA

View Full Version : "Jaws" anchor

phebus
02-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Has anyone bought one of the new (box anchor knockoff's) Dana Marine Jaws Anchor yet? I was looking at them yesterday, and they seem really nice. They lock in both the open and closed position, and what I really like about them is the locking pin is real easy to put in and take out. The locking bar on the Box Anchor can be a real pain in the ass. Might buy one tomorrow.

Beer-30
02-21-2006, 07:35 PM
My friends just took delivery of theirs from the boat show. Haven't used it yet, though. I am still sold on my large Box Anchor. Got Box?

lalhc
02-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Everytime I throw my box anchor in the water it feels like someone is pulling it from the bottom of the lake. I cannot see myself buying any other anchor since my box anchor has never failed me. I can't say that for any other anchor system I've owned.

TOBTEK
02-21-2006, 08:28 PM
even IF I need an anchor (also have box) I couldn't bring myself to buy the Dana product. its a direct RIP-OFF of the slide anchor product. I fill bad for the small business owner who went out on a limb to produce a product...then some larger biz comes along and rips it off. its pretty weak.....just my .02

BoatFloating
02-21-2006, 08:30 PM
I just saw that on his site. He even has a Slide Anchor too now.... Hmmmmm... Dana has always been a inovator now he's following the leader.... :cool:

Beer-30
02-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Everytime I throw my box anchor in the water it feels like someone is pulling it from the bottom of the lake. I cannot see myself buying any other anchor since my box anchor has never failed me. I can't say that for any other anchor system I've owned.
I had the same problem. I wasn't giving it enough rope. The angle was too drastic, making the rope pull the anchor upward. I have it on a 100' rope, but was only using 35-40 of that. That seemed to be the problem.

phebus
02-21-2006, 09:17 PM
If it was a straight copy, I would buy the original, but I think Dana has taken a good idea, and improved upon it.

Ultrafied
02-21-2006, 09:25 PM
I had the same problem. I wasn't giving it enough rope. The angle was too drastic, making the rope pull the anchor upward. I have it on a 100' rope, but was only using 35-40 of that. That seemed to be the problem.
A good rule of thumb is twice the depth of water for the length of anchor line. :D

Jyruiz
02-21-2006, 09:55 PM
I like that it is lighter than the big box anchor, but not being galvanize kind of turns me off. I don't want to be pulling some rusted piece of metal, I am afraid it might puncture the seats on the boat if I ever dropped it too. The SS version is just too much for me to spend on an anchor.

Charley
02-21-2006, 10:10 PM
I just saw that on his site. He even has a Slide Anchor too now.... Hmmmmm... Dana has always been a inovator now he's following the leader.... :cool:
Rocky, since my boat is officially in the mold am I allowed to own an anchor again? :D
If I do own an anchor will my opinion really matter here on hb.net?

SummerBreeze
02-22-2006, 08:21 AM
My box ankor dosen't work in Lake Tahoe even with 500 feet of ankor line

diggler
02-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Just bought my box anchor (from slide anchor). Cool carrying cover for it. I decided to buy some docklines too since they were pretty cool. :rollside:

TOBTEK
02-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Rocky, since my boat is officially in the mold am I allowed to own an anchor again? :D
If I do own an anchor will my opinion really matter here on hb.net?
Charley, I added a few special touches to your graphics last friday when I was down there. I hope you dont mind :) When are they pulling it from the molds? They didnt have any of the wood work done yet as of Friday @ noon. Are you doing Ilmor's ?

phebus
02-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Well, I did it. I bought one of the Dana Marine Jaws Anchors today (thank you Bob for your help). I now have one of the large Box Anchors, and one of the Jaws Anchors. I will be alternating using them, so I can determine which works best. The Dana Marine anchor has some nice features in that it locks in both the open and closed position, and the locking pin is very easy to use. I also took into consideration the comment that the spikes could rip the boat interior easily, but after checking it out, the spikes are rounded at the ends, so they aren't sharp, and I don't feel they would cause any more damage than the points of the other angled grabbers. I feel the spikes in addition to the flat angles should hold the boat very well.
Now I just need to boat, and I can give them the test. Good excuse for finding some nice coves to kick back in.

Jyruiz
02-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Well, I did it. I bought one of the Dana Marine Jaws Anchors today (thank you Bob for your help). I now have one of the large Box Anchors, and one of the Jaws Anchors. I will be alternating using them, so I can determine which works best. The Dana Marine anchor has some nice features in that it locks in both the open and closed position, and the locking pin is very easy to use. I also took into consideration the comment that the spikes could rip the boat interior easily, but after checking it out, the spikes are rounded at the ends, so they aren't sharp, and I don't feel they would cause any more damage than the points of the other angled grabbers. I feel the spikes in addition to the flat angles should hold the boat very well.
Now I just need to boat, and I can give them the test. Good excuse for finding some nice coves to kick back in.
Cool, keep us posted on your progress and let me know if you are going to sell one of them when done.

phebus
03-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, I used the new Dana Marine "Jaws" anchor the other day. Anchor set up real easy, the pin system is better on the Jaws than on the Box. It is much lighter than the Box anchor, but one reason for that is that I have the large box anchor.
Anchor set really well, and held the boat in place. Unfortunately, there was no wind or current to speak of, so a real test wasn't possible. Another thing I would have liked to have tested was rafting up with another boat to see how it would compare to the large Box anchor.
I will keep it in use until I can give it a good test, and will have the Box onboard to do a comparison.
Here is a picture of the Jaws anchor set up along side a large Box anchor
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1753DSCN1511.JPG

Mrs. casean
03-10-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't understand using something else if the box anchor works. I use the big one for the front and throw the smaller one of the back. Occasionally I will just spray the clip/spring with some WD-40 and that takes care of that.
We'll be buying a box anchor forsure! Not sure which one though :idea: Maybe this next time we're in GA we can stay and hang out :D We're not messing around w/ the old school anchors anymore!

Beer Factor
03-10-2006, 11:51 AM
My friends just took delivery of theirs from the boat show. Haven't used it yet, though. I am still sold on my large Box Anchor. Got Box?
You can never have enough Box!

Mrs. casean
03-10-2006, 12:00 PM
You should be able to get by with the med one. That is what I always used with no problems. I got another one so I could eliminate the swinging of the boat and just went with the big one.
Thanks Tom! I'll let Sean know if he doesn't see this thread! We're on our shopping spree getting all the goodies for the boat this weekend! Woohoo! We have 2 of the regular anchors so we may keep one for the back of the boat to eliminate the swing like you said. We usually use the slide anchor for that at the sandbars though or on the beach... Good info on the box anchors here! Thanks!

phebus
03-10-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't understand using something else if the box anchor works. I use the big one for the front and throw the smaller one of the back. Occasionally I will just spray the clip/spring with some WD-40 and that takes care of that.
I wanted a second anchor, and I saw some improvements I liked on the Jaws anchor. So, I bought one, and thought I'd report my findings on which one I thought was better.

phebus
03-10-2006, 12:37 PM
I thought you were just throwing money away again :)
My life's story. But, it sure can be fun sometimes. :)

Mrs. casean
03-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Your welcome. Try the other anchor you have for your back end and use the box off the front and you should be good. Especially since you would point the front into the wind. That is where all the pulling comes into play and the box handles that no problem...
Thanks Tom! Next time we will be able to pull up next to you guys and party! :D