PDA

View Full Version : Landing on a aircraft carrier

Caljamr
08-16-2007, 01:44 PM
When i was stationed on the USS Enterprise and USS Abraham Lincoln I would always go up and watch the flight deck activities during my off time.
Here is a good video of a jet landing on a carrier.
http://www.break.com/index/aircraft_carrier_landing_pilots_view.html

Sleeper CP
08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Great vid... Thanks. I can only imagine the feeling they get doing that. It gives me a thrill just watching it from their side.
Sleeper CP
565" Ford Lover

Infomaniac
08-16-2007, 02:08 PM
I worked the catapult when they were lanching and recovering our birds.
The Coral Sea and Ranger.

Tom Brown
08-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Great video. :cool:

RitcheyRch
08-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Thats awesome

acatitude
08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
very kool

Caljamr
08-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Hey we got some ex-sailors on board. Cool.
I'm taking my dad to the USS Midway museum in San Diego for Labor Day. He was stationed on the Midway when I 5 y/o. So it will be cool to see him cross the quarter deck 35 years later and take a picture of him with the OOD. Plus to see where he slept and worked. :) Then take a drive to 32nd street and see how's it's changed in all these years. I can't wait.

Assume The Position
08-16-2007, 03:37 PM
I was stationed on the USS Midway 1986-1988. I've been to the Midway museum twice so far. It brings back alot of memories.

Phat Matt
08-16-2007, 04:02 PM
My Gramps was on this bucket. :)
http://www.usstorsk.org/
http://www.usstorsk.org/baclit07a.jpg
He has always got his USS Torsk hat on. He was on it in '45 and '46.

UncleJoe
08-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Our son is a pilot with the World Famous Golden Dragons VFA 192. This is a recent video taken aboard the USS Kitty Hawk.
I think that this video is in concert with the ***boat culture.
Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=6FFF9O-yUnc

Screemy1
08-16-2007, 04:48 PM
When i was stationed on the USS Enterprise and USS Abraham Lincoln I would always go up and watch the flight deck activities during my off time.
hey, I was on two carriers too...... the USS America and the Lincoln.... what years you on the Lincoln... me, 1997 in AIMD shop 8 on the America, I was the XO's assistant.... you know, brown nose job with all the perks :)

River Lynchmob
08-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Two very cool videos.

DMOORE
08-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Never stationed on a carrier, but we worked off the Carl Vincent in the Gulf when I was at SEAL Team 3. Always a thrill seeing the birds come in.
Darrell.

SnoC653
08-16-2007, 05:28 PM
My dad flew off the USS Boxer in WWII and Korea. Only ship I've ever got to land on was a destroyer, i think, out in the North Atlantic flying mail to them in a UH-1. Sure does make you glad to see that ship and landing on a pitching deck gave me a whole lot of respect for the navy fliers that did it all the time.

hotlavey
08-16-2007, 06:04 PM
That was great, thanks. As a former Air Force pilot I always had the greatest respect and admiration for those Navy/Marine pilots. They hit the mark everytime.

Wolskis_Bar
08-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Did 41/2 years on the Elliott in San Diego and did plenty of plane guarding. The connie, ranger, kitty hawk and midway during west pac. 1000 yards behind the carrier in case of man over board. It was cool at night when they flew over our boat, seemed like just inches above our mast. What was really cool, the carrier was black until just before the plane landed and the carrier lite up like Vegas, after the plane backed off the after burners, the carrier went black and it dissappered until it started all over again.

Caljamr
08-17-2007, 06:54 AM
hey, I was on two carriers too...... the USS America and the Lincoln.... what years you on the Lincoln... me, 1997 in AIMD shop 8 on the America, I was the XO's assistant.... you know, brown nose job with all the perks :)
When the Abraham Lincoln went on it's first cruise they were short on Cryo Techs so i flew out on a friday and went on a 6 month cruise leaving Saturday morning. This was early 1991. It was really nice because everything was new compared to the Enterprise. But the Enterprise had so much more character and history.
I only did 5 months on the Lincoln and it was time to leave the Navy. I was flown off the ship on a transporter. It was very cool. It was a prop plane and you sat backwards facing the rear of the plane. That was in case you crashed you had a higher survival rate when you hit the water facing backwards.
The engines reved up the props were spinning you could feel the pressure of the preload then the launch. The worst part is when you feel the drop at the end of the ship. Your like wholly sh*t where going into the drink. Then you feel the plane start lifting and your up and away. Then i thought. I'm finally going home. But i then spent two weeks in Dubai trying to pickle my liver. :)

mobldj
08-17-2007, 07:08 AM
my dad was arrested for robbing gas stations,oh well:)

Rexone
08-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for posting the videos guys those are awesome. :)

Desert Rat
08-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Looks like it was taken from a S3 Viking

RitcheyRch
08-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Just think, in a few years unmanned aircraft will be landing on carriers. I worked on one that Northrop is in the process of building.

Caljamr
08-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Looks like it was taken from a S3 Viking
Those Vikings are work horses. They were all fun to watch especially at night and in bad weather. Those pilots have got nerves of steal to handle that stress.

That Guy
08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah but he can he do the spin out in the reeds evasion move????:D Very cool video and I too have the utmost respect for those pilots....:)

Sleeper CP
08-20-2007, 08:12 AM
I spoke to my Uncle this weekend (76 years old) he was both honored and privileged to have done this 887 times while wearing his wings.
The count was alittle under 400 in his F-8 and a little over 400 in his F-4. The rest in various other planes including his prop trainer.
Talk about a bitchen job.
Sleeper CP

DaddyMack
08-20-2007, 09:30 AM
My Ex- Father in law was a Navy Pilot... don't remember the carriers he was on....dangerous but necessary job......His wife got visited three times by Men in Dress whites... but each time he was lucky... he loved it... always talked about it and loved every minute of it...
He was a great guy.

Caljamr
08-20-2007, 10:09 AM
I spoke to my Uncle this weekend (76 years old) he was both honored and privileged to have done this 887 times while wearing his wings.
The count was alittle under 400 in his F-8 and a little over 400 in his F-4. The rest in various other planes including his prop trainer.
Talk about a bitchen job.
Sleeper CP
Wow that's amazing i always wondered what the average carrier landings for a pilot would be.
887 is just crazy amounts of landings. :)

Sleeper CP
08-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Wow that's amazing i always wondered what the average carrier landings for a pilot would be.
887 is just crazy amounts of landings. :)
Yes 887 is over the top, way above average. I think that was five F-8 cruises and eight F-4 cruises (?). They flew a lot or missions over Vietnam.
Sleeper CP

Caljamr
09-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Well i just got back from taking my dad down to San Diego and visiting the USS Midway museum. Got some great pics i'll post later. He was stationed on the Midway from 68-73 then retired in '76. It was cool to see where he worked and hung out and i got to hear all of the tall tales. There were some other guys there that served during the same time and they swapped stories.
If you ever have the chance to get down to Navy Pier in San Diego it's worth the trip.

boatsnblondes
09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Flew SAR for the Navy for 6 years...started on call SAR out of San Diego, then went to Enterprise, then back east to Nimitz, had a great time....buzzing downtown SD was great on teh way back in, as was buzzing Honalulu also....those flightdeck apes are still as good as they ever were...lots of fun to watch them...and it's interesting to note, that thought the hand signs and signals for the yellow shirts are the same, each deck crew gives it an indivual flair all they own....fun to watch...:D

DeltaSigBoater
09-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Well i just got back from taking my dad down to San Diego and visiting the USS Midway museum. Got some great pics i'll post later. He was stationed on the Midway from 68-73 then retired in '76. It was cool to see where he worked and hung out and i got to hear all of the tall tales. There were some other guys there that served during the same time and they swapped stories.
If you ever have the chance to get down to Navy Pier in San Diego it's worth the trip.
Did the USS Midway tour in '05, very cool to say the least.

boatsnblondes
09-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Kinda like this one.....I like the shot of hitting the golf balls off the stern at sunset....me and the boys used to do that....so the Captain...being at sea is no excuse to not have a good swing....in fact, it should be better when you get back than when you left..if you work at it...:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeTHAHGgZzA&mode=related&search=

skygod73
09-14-2007, 05:14 PM
My uncle was a jet engine mechanic on the Enterprise in 73-74. I'd give my left nut to land on a carrier.
My Dad flew the P-3 during the early 70's for the USN out of moffet.

Caljamr
09-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Kinda like this one.....I like the shot of hitting the golf balls off the stern at sunset....me and the boys used to do that....so the Captain...being at sea is no excuse to not have a good swing....in fact, it should be better when you get back than when you left..if you work at it...:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeTHAHGgZzA&mode=related&search=
That's a good video.
In a Admirals cup golf tourny in the Philipines i got a hole in one on a par 3. I won some prize but i was so hammered from drinking beer through all 18 holes i couldn't walk up and shake the admirals hand and get my prize. So my two buddies helped me walk up there and shake his hand and get my prize. He was cool about it. I said i think the sun got the better part of me and he said are you sure it wasn't the beer. Everyone laughed. :)

Baja Big Dog
09-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Great vids!!!:D

Dave C
09-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Did you see how calm the water is? How come there is no lake lice jumping his wake? :mad: :D ;)

Forkin' Crazy
09-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Cool vids! :cool:
Many thanks and much respect goes out to the guys serving our country! :)

Tremor Girl
09-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Absolutely, without a doubt has to be the biggest rush ever!!! Flying in a fighter jet is one of the only goals I set for myself years ago that I have not been able to accomplish.:(
Awesome videos. Thanks!

boatseller2
09-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Great Videos!! That will give you a woody for days. Wish I could take a ride sometime, but the pilot would not like me barfing in the back seat.:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

hkunz
09-17-2007, 07:12 PM
I was stationed on the USS Midway 1986-1988. I've been to the Midway museum twice so far. It brings back alot of memories.
I was on her 87 - 89, asst EWO. Where did you work?

Pete454
09-17-2007, 08:48 PM
here is a good link for those that served in the Navy and want to see if thaty can locate some old friends.
http://navy.togetherweserved.com/usn/index.jsp
I did 22 years and only seen flat tops in port or flying over in the mighty Orion.