PDA

View Full Version : Do ya still bust out great meals your mom made?

Trailer Park Casanova
08-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Not working anymore, and spending lots of time at the river with the new family, and a big kitchen in the RV, I've busted out my moms classic dinner recipes.
Fillet Mignon roasts (Costco cheap), Baby back ribs, homemade Boston Cream pie, the kids love 'em like we did as kids.
My mom had a classic desert where she'd paint the inside of a small paper bag with Euro chocolate, then fill it with a homemade custard and fruit,, then when the chocolate dried, peel away the paper bag leaving a chocolate bag standing that looked like it was paper, and you could eat the whole thing.
Homemade Shortbread,,, all kinds of twists on Fondues, and awesome Italian main dishes with a super family sauce.
Any classic dinners ya still bust out for the family?

Devil's Advocate
08-17-2007, 08:42 PM
I make my mom's spaghetti sauce. She's 74 and I think she still is better than me at it.;)

djunkie
08-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Not working anymore, and spending lots of time at the river with the new family, and a big kitchen in the RV, I've busted out my moms classic dinner recipes.
Fillet Mignon roasts, Baby back ribs, homemade Boston Cream pie, the kids love 'em like we did as kids.
My mom had a classic desert where she'd paint the inside of a small paper bag with Euro chocolate, then fill it with a homemade custard and fruit,, then when the chocolate dried, peel away the paper bag leaving a chocolate bag standing that looked like it was paper, and you could eat the whole thing.
Homemade Shortbread,,, all kinds of twists on Fondues, and awesome Italian main dishes with a super family sauce.
Any classic dinners ya still bust out for the family?
Next time I'm in Parker I'll have to remember to stop by your trailer for dinner. :D :D

Tom Brown
08-17-2007, 08:52 PM
When I wish to re-live the menu of my youth, I pick up a Kingsford snack pack. That doesn't happen to often, though. I moved out of the house over 20 years ago and I'm still recovering.

Baja Big Dog
08-17-2007, 08:53 PM
And dinner is when????:D

Trailer Park Casanova
08-17-2007, 08:58 PM
I make my mom's spaghetti sauce. She's 74 and I think she still is better than me at it.;)
Do you think she's holding something back?
I still think my mom didn't give me the whole recipe.

Devil's Advocate
08-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Do you think she's holding something back?
I still think my mom didn't give me the whole recipe.
Maybe it's just the touch.

boatsnblondes
08-18-2007, 12:15 AM
My mom makes Greman Potato pancakes you would not believe.....add a little applesauce, bratwurst, sourkraut, and red cabbage?? Food of the Gods, folks, food of the Gods....:D

a catered life
08-19-2007, 03:19 PM
i stole all my moms recipes and improved them....she still has me beat on seafood gumbo and all cakes and pies but i'm still learning

ahhell
08-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Sorry to say my mom cant cook...unless its in a preasure cooker it aint happening...I do all the cooking now, AND I ROCK.....:D
Getting ready to do some sea bass and catfish...and maybe a couple more beers:D :D :D

fat rat
08-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Ditto............and she (my Mom) got her recipe from my grandmother.........good stuff!;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-19-2007, 04:05 PM
from Oklahoma mama meals..
Chicken N Dumplins
Shiat on the Shingle
Fried Pork Chops
Country Gravy.

BadKachina
08-19-2007, 04:10 PM
So should we get you guys a couple of cook books for a wedding present or gift certificates to Pappadeaux's??????????:idea: :D

Schiada76
08-19-2007, 04:12 PM
My mom made the baddest Kosher Dill pickles on the planet.
My friends would come over and ask if I was home when they knew I wasn't ask for me and my mom would jut laugh and say "you want a pickle don't you? Yes they did.:D
This started when I was about 10 years old.
A few years later a friend of mine that drove limos for a living called me and told me he was at the Playboy mansion the night before and was at the buffet when one of the bunnies was going on and on about an old boyfriend who's mom made the best pickles on earth, he turned to her and said "Mr's Pearson's pickles?" He said she about chit and kept asking him him how the fck did you know that? :D :D
Mom LOVES that story!:D
I can't make the damn things nearly as well.:(

Mandelon
08-19-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't think my Mom (bless her soul) had any great recipes. She was raised by depression era parents who could make two miles of wire out of a penny.
I mostly remember the meals she made that I detested.
Steamed pork chops with rice and stewed tomatoes. No flavor, all mushy, tough meat. blech.
Hamburger Biscuit Bake. I think this recipe is still on the side of the Bisquick box. Its got the biscuit stuff, and she would mix in about three tablespoons of hamburger and a blob of sweet pickle relish. If you hit a vein of burger meat it was pure luck.
She made these broiled eggplant slices, and some weird curry thing with stew meat.
I think she tried to feed us on 90 cents a day.....:sqeyes:
The occasional pot roast was good eats, but the best meals were on the weekends when Dad manned the old bbq in the back yard. He had great marinades. Ribs, chicken, and those giant chuck roasts. He'd put them in the marinade on thursday and cook on saturday night or sunday. I'd eat till I could barely walk. :D

HighRoller
08-19-2007, 05:52 PM
My Mom was a legendary cook. We have pictures of the kids at Havasu lined up at the back of our camper waiting for one of her breakfast biscuits. The beer biscuits were awesome as well. The first time my fiancee (now wife) had the chocolate tort she told me she wanted to climb into the pan and stick her face in it!!
Her potato salad was so good I can hardly bear to eat generic stuff. I fought tooth and nail to get her recipe book back from my Dad now that he is getting re-married. I did so and my wife and I are going to make a tribute cookbook in her memory. She was very proud of her cooking, as was I. On our recent trip to Shasta we had a "Breakfast Biscuit" clinic one morning due to the demand for them. I feel sorry for kids today whose mothers think a microwave dinner is home cooking. We literally fought over the leftovers in our house because the dishes were so good. We were blessed...
We are hosting our first Thanksgiving this year and several of her dishes and appetizers will be on the schedule. They still get rave reviews to this day even with me making them!!

Itsahobby
08-19-2007, 07:39 PM
We must be related:idea:
How about Gumerslot (SP)? Cucumbers and sourcream a good German beer and you were sleeping alone that night:devil: :jawdrop:
My mom makes Greman Potato pancakes you would not believe.....add a little applesauce, bratwurst, sourkraut, and red cabbage?? Food of the Gods, folks, food of the Gods....:D