PDA

View Full Version : Any trick to resurrecting dead batteries?

Outnumbered
08-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Can an 18 month old Trojan 12V deep cycle battery come back to life if it has sat for 6 months 1/2 full of water? The plates look crusty. I fiiled it up with distilled water and thru it on the charger. Any tricks or should I just buy a new one? This came in the 5th wheel I just bought so it wont see any heavy stereo usage.
Thanks

Boatcop
08-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Can an 18 month old Trojan 12V deep cycle battery come back to life if it has sat for 6 months 1/2 full of water? The plates look crusty. I fiiled it up with distilled water and thru it on the charger. Any tricks or should I just buy a new one? This came in the 5th wheel I just bought so it wont see any heavy stereo usage.
Thanks
Find a dealer of Trojan batteries and take it to them. Batteries usually have some kind of warranty on them. Even if they don't exchange it straight across, they'll give you a credit on the new one.

HOOTER SLED-
08-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Find a dealer of Trojan batteries and take it to them. Batteries usually have some kind of warranty on them. Even if they don't exchange it straight across, they'll give you a credit on the new one.
Yup, they may pro rate it for some cash.

HOOTER SLED-
08-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I'd run it through the charge dealio.............it may be ok still. Worth a shot.

Baja Big Dog
08-18-2007, 07:57 PM
It will charge up fine....

Spotondl
08-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Drop it from about waist high onto a concrete floor... knocks the crusty's off the plates and surprisingly works wonders... charge away...

HemiDude
08-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Drop it from about waist high onto a concrete floor... knocks the crusty's off the plates and surprisingly works wonders... charge away...
Or...just buy a new one!:idea: :idea: :idea:

Outnumbered
08-18-2007, 10:04 PM
I heard this once before but I am a little hesitant to try it. Can I use your garage floor?:D

AZJD
08-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Once a deep cycle battery has been run dead over and over again it will not hold a charge. It is time to replace it....

Trailer Park Casanova
08-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Once a deep cycle battery has been run dead over and over again it will not hold a charge. It is time to replace it....
There it is.
If ya can't get a good trade-in from Trojan, COSTCO will give ya 5 bucks each.
COSTCO Golf cart batts are only $50 each (last I bought them in APRIL).
The COSTCOs work super.
There are a few places in Havabrew advertised in the local rag that have plain wrap 6Vs for about 50 bux too.
Trojans are SUPER expensive. About $140 ea last I checked.
BTW:
Buggies unlimited GolfCart Doc says ya have to remove the head unit from your sound sytem if it's on or off. The radio is usually wired around the dead man switch so this is essential.
Otherwise it draws down the power and ruins the batts over time, even if it's off.
This is what I was told probably killed my Trojans.

Racey
08-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Yeah i can see it now, top blows off and leaves your ass soaked in acid, bye bye jeans, nice stain on the floor :eek: :D

ChumpChange
08-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Is this for the fifth wheel you bought? If so, post some pics of that thing.

twowheeledfish
08-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Why waste your time and risk a dead battery on the water? Just get a new one.

HOOTER SLED-
08-19-2007, 09:41 AM
There it is.
If ya can't get a good trade-in from Trojan, COSTCO will give ya 5 bucks each.
COSTCO Golf cart batts are only $50 each (last I bought them in APRIL).
The COSTCOs work super.
There are a few places in Havabrew advertised in the local rag that have plain wrap 6Vs for about 50 bux too.
Trojans are SUPER expensive. About $140 ea last I checked.
BTW:
Buggies unlimited GolfCart Doc says ya have to remove the head unit from your sound sytem if it's on or off. The radio is usually wired around the dead man switch so this is essential.
Otherwise it draws down the power and ruins the batts over time, even if it's off.
This is what I was told probably killed my Trojans.
I have a line on the Trojans............ I just wish I could share it. Sorry guys. :D And no, this is not a smart ass joke about condoms. :D

Outnumbered
08-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Why waste your time and risk a dead battery on the water? Just get a new one.
I guess you did not read my post:rolleyes:

Outnumbered
08-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Is this for the fifth wheel you bought? If so, post some pics of that thing.
Yep, 2006 Keystone Cougar 291EFS:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/275408-08-2007_135-med.jpg

IT'SONLYMONEY
08-19-2007, 11:20 AM
your are going to want to run two six cell batts anyways unless you already are and that is just extra.

Outnumbered
08-19-2007, 12:12 PM
your are going to want to run two six cell batts anyways unless you already are and that is just extra.
I was kicking it around. I just thought I would try to get this battery back. It is holding a charge at 11.95 volts overnight. I think I will give it one more day and see if it will hold above 12V. If not I think I'll go trade it in at the local golf cart store on 2 6Vs.
Thanks

centerhill condor
08-19-2007, 01:18 PM
I've seen it work a time or two.
CC

Spotondl
08-19-2007, 01:47 PM
The drop method really does work... The sidewalk works well as a dropping platform just in case the garage is too pristine for mechanical work... LOL :D :D :D
... and if it doesn't work for you you can still trade it in on the next bat... no real downside save for the downside trip the bat makes once you drop it... :devil: :devil: :devil:

Trash
08-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Dropping the battery will knock off the crud only to have it collect in the bottom of the battery. At that point it shorts out one or more cells and the battery goes down hill from there.

Screemy1
08-19-2007, 02:33 PM
I used to be in the biz..... to bring batts back to life..... put in about 3 heaping tablespoon fulls of epson salt in each cell. Then charge them with a high amp chrager, if you have the regular chargers, hit it with the high amp starter mode or cranking setting..... make sure you have the caps off and keep an eye on the acid..... you want it to get the acid boiling..... let it boil for 20-30 minutes, it could take awhile to get them to boil.... this will bring back batteries like you would not beleive.... this is how battery shops have used batteries around. especially old 6 volt golf car batts.... people bring them in, the store sells you new, then takes the batts in the back, does this trick and then cleans them up, BOOM.... you have quality used batteries for sell..... By the way, the BOOM! can be real.... this is not the safest practice and when you get that acid boiling, the vapor is extremley explosive..... my old boss saw a string of batts that stopped charging, so he hit the terminal with the charging wire on it to get a better connection... it sparked and while he was in the hospital for a long time, I ran the shop and cleaned the mess and watched the contractors rebuild the back half of the shop. It really does work and I have done it many of times...... the "dead battery" will not only work, but I have had them last years after I did that trick..... But on another note, if you have the space 2 golf car batts, or better yet, 4 golf car batts is better, and you will be very surprised how much longer they will last, not only at dry camp, but years of service.

Outnumbered
08-19-2007, 08:39 PM
I used to be in the biz..... to bring batts back to life..... put in about 3 heaping tablespoon fulls of epson salt in each cell. Then charge them with a high amp chrager, if you have the regular chargers, hit it with the high amp starter mode or cranking setting..... make sure you have the caps off and keep an eye on the acid..... you want it to get the acid boiling..... let it boil for 20-30 minutes, it could take awhile to get them to boil.... this will bring back batteries like you would not beleive.... this is how battery shops have used batteries around. especially old 6 volt golf car batts.... people bring them in, the store sells you new, then takes the batts in the back, does this trick and then cleans them up, BOOM.... you have quality used batteries for sell..... By the way, the BOOM! can be real.... this is not the safest practice and when you get that acid boiling, the vapor is extremley explosive..... my old boss saw a string of batts that stopped charging, so he hit the terminal with the charging wire on it to get a better connection... it sparked and while he was in the hospital for a long time, I ran the shop and cleaned the mess and watched the contractors rebuild the back half of the shop. It really does work and I have done it many of times...... the "dead battery" will not only work, but I have had them last years after I did that trick..... But on another note, if you have the space 2 golf car batts, or better yet, 4 golf car batts is better, and you will be very surprised how much longer they will last, not only at dry camp, but years of service.
I don't have any (or even know what it is) epson salt is but I did get the acid to boil today on a 6 amp charger. It has been on all day. I just cut it back to 2 amps when I noticed it was boiling. The charger is reading 75% charged but the Fluke shows 12.2 volts without the charger hooked up. Should I keep the thing on trickle 2amp over-night or is that all she's got:D
Thanks

Wheeler
08-19-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't have any (or even know what it is) epson salt is but I did get the acid to boil today on a 6 amp charger. It has been on all day. I just cut it back to 2 amps when I noticed it was boiling. The charger is reading 75% charged but the Fluke shows 12.2 volts without the charger hooked up. Should I keep the thing on trickle 2amp over-night or is that all she's got:D
Thanks
Try this link ...
http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/BatteryMaintenance.aspx

BLOWN HOWARD
08-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Do your self a favor and throw the 12's in the trash. I did and now run 4 6's and never have any problems. Also now i can run a decent sized inverter.

Outnumbered
08-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Do your self a favor and throw the 12's in the trash. I did and now run 4 6's and never have any problems. Also now i can run a decent sized inverter.
We're going to be doing 95% full-hook-ups so I was just going to save this one if I could. If we end up dry camping often I will go 6V for sure.
Thanks

Riverdog1
08-20-2007, 12:14 AM
just charge it for 24 hours, take it to any auto parts store and have them load test it. If it's good...then great, if not, then buy a new one:idea:

Screemy1
08-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Epsom Salt...... get it at any drug store, comes in a container like a milk carton..... it is the stuff old people like to soak their feet in.... it really works, if your batt is only 12.2 off charger.... try the salt and boil it for a while.... it will come back, epsom salt is about 3 bucks at walgreens.... or less.....

Smokin Joe
08-20-2007, 09:32 AM
About 80% of lead (sulfuric) acid batteries fail prematurely because of a buildup of lead sulfate on the plates. This buildup causes the golf cart battery to become unusable at approximately one-third of its natural life. The crust inside on the plates is sulfate buildup, restoring the battery to full capacity is possible by dissolving the sulfate crystal.
A battery de-sulfator sends a frequency signal to each crystal of the lead sulfate buildup, causing it to convert back into lead and sulfuric acid, dissolving the crystal. Square wave because it excites all the frequencies of waves above it. Lead sulfate, the "stuff" that builds up on your battery plates, comes in many sized crystals, each with a different frequency. The square wave virtually has all the frequencies in it and can excite any size crystal. That's why it works.
I have been using a battery de-sulfator for some time with good results the unit I use is Battery Life Saver there are many out there but this one works. With golf carts at the river someone is always having battery problems heat and sitting around really kills batteries a perfect enviorment for sulfate build up. I purchased several for friends and have a few left.
joe

OSidePat
08-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks
Open your wallet pull out many twentys and that should do the trick

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Open your wallet pull out many twentys and that should do the trick
It always does;)