PDA

View Full Version : A DUCKY Question

GAWnCA
08-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi Folks,
Seems you're the Fiberglass Wizard here so I thought I would ask you how to go about repairing this bow damage? This is a 1975 Miller Jet/Ski boat and the trailer bow stop has been broken off and just raw metal coming up against the bow. As you can see it has taken a toll on the bow. I need to fix it. I don't think I can match the reddish/orange color so I'll jjst go white until I re-finish the whole boat. I also want to do away with the ugly rub rail, it's just pop riveted on, so I need to fill those holes as well.
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/bow_hook_damage_01.jpg
Thanks in advance for your input and recommendations.
Greg

Tom Brown
08-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Hey.

GAWnCA
08-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey.
Hey? :)

jjk94
08-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Had a 76. Does your trailer float

GAWnCA
08-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Had a 76. Does your trailer float
Don't know... :) I haven't had it to the water yet.

Tom Brown
08-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey? :)
Hey GAWnCA. :cool:
That first 'Hey' was directed at DUCKY. He'll know what it means.

sorry dog
08-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Ducky!

GAWnCA
08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Hey GAWnCA. :cool:
That first 'Hey' was directed at DUCKY. He'll know what it means.
:D Ok, I didn't know if I had said something wrong or not. I talked to Tom at JBP and he set me up with how to fix my problem. I should be able to get that bow fixed with in the next week or so. I've got one of those "HONEY DO" lists that I've ignored and now I being reminded about it constantly so I better get to that for a few days so the heat turns down. Greg

Tom Brown
08-20-2007, 09:39 PM
It sounds like you're all set. :cool:
It's too bad nobody else on ***boat knows anything about composite construction techniques. If they had, it might have gotten you some information much faster.
Good luck, GAWnCA. :)

FOURQ
08-20-2007, 11:35 PM
It's too bad nobody else on ***boat knows anything about composite construction techniquest. If they had, it might have gotten you some information much faster.
:)
there are a few of us that dont say anything due to all the BS but do KNOW OUR SHIT ask Ducky ;)

DUCKY
08-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Hey.
Ducky!
:D :D :D
Sorry I haven't been around, I've been real busy since getting back from Texas.
Anyways,
I don't see any real glass damage from your bow stop, so I'd say just give the damaged areas a feather edge and fill them with EverGlass, then refinish. I prefer to use Ad-Tech #17, but most people have trouble finding it.
On the molding, underneath it you will find the hull seam. If you are going to cap it then that's a whole different subject, but if you are just changing molding styles, and it doesn't look like swiss cheese under the existing stuff, you can just fill each hole with a little shot of 3M 5200 fast cure, let it set up and put your new stuff on.

GAWnCA
08-21-2007, 02:39 PM
there are a few of us that dont say anything due to all the BS but do KNOW OUR SHIT ask Ducky ;)
Well, FOURQ, if I ask a question you can bet I am serious and want a NO BS answer. If I wanted BS I'd go sit in a bar and those days are long over. :) SO SPEAK UP SON!! :D

GAWnCA
08-21-2007, 02:48 PM
:D :D :D
Sorry I haven't been around, I've been real busy since getting back from Texas.
Anyways,
I don't see any real glass damage from your bow stop, so I'd say just give the damaged areas a feather edge and fill them with EverGlass, then refinish. I prefer to use Ad-Tech #17, but most people have trouble finding it.
On the molding, underneath it you will find the hull seam. If you are going to cap it then that's a whole different subject, but if you are just changing molding styles, and it doesn't look like swiss cheese under the existing stuff, you can just fill each hole with a little shot of 3M 5200 fast cure, let it set up and put your new stuff on.
Glad you're back. Some of us are serious about getting the job done right. I think I'll pull the rub rail and see what's under it. I'll take a photo or two and post them for suggestions. I just hate that cheap looking rub rail.
Here's a better shot of the bow glass damage:
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/bow_hook_damage_02.jpg
When you look from the inside, this area is very thin.
Thanks,
Greg

DUCKY
08-21-2007, 04:04 PM
It's up to you, but I really don't think it's that bad. If you are worried about the thickness, you could grind it a little and add a couple layers of mat (small strips, x length x 1/2" wide or so) to bring it back to height but it's probably not as thin as you think it is. You definitely need to pull that bow eye and do some fixing right there. If there isn't a piece of wood right there on the inside, you should add some glass to the inside and either way make an aluminum backing plate or something to keep it from ripping out later.....

GAWnCA
08-21-2007, 04:32 PM
It's up to you, but I really don't think it's that bad. If you are worried about the thickness, you could grind it a little and add a couple layers of mat (small strips, x length x 1/2" wide or so) to bring it back to height but it's probably not as thin as you think it is. You definitely need to pull that bow eye and do some fixing right there. If there isn't a piece of wood right there on the inside, you should add some glass to the inside and either way make an aluminum backing plate or something to keep it from ripping out later.....
Thanks DUCKY. I am going to pull that bow eye out and put something new in there. I'll fill those eye holes and start over. I was thinking about doing some glass work on the inside. I have both mat and fabric. I've got some 1/4" aluminum plate here that I can glass in when I do the inside work. I'm not a very big person and it's still very cramped in there and with our weather changing it's getting hot early.
Should I do the inside first?
Thanks for your help.
Greg

DUCKY
08-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Put some tape over the holes (outside) and laminate the inside first. If you are trying gain some thickness, try to get a piece of bi-directional like 1708 for the inside repair. A piece of 2 or 3 oz mat and a layer of 1708 will add more than enough thickness for your piece of mind. On the aluminum thing, don't laminate it to the boat. Just make yourself a nice backing plate. If you don't have a shop you can get some scraps from, PM me your address and I'll mail you a piece of bi-directional.

GAWnCA
08-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Put some tape over the holes (outside) and laminate the inside first. If you are trying gain some thickness, try to get a piece of bi-directional like 1708 for the inside repair. A piece of 2 or 3 oz mat and a layer of 1708 will add more than enough thickness for your piece of mind. On the aluminum thing, don't laminate it to the boat. Just make yourself a nice backing plate. If you don't have a shop you can get some scraps from, PM me your address and I'll mail you a piece of bi-directional.
Thanks DUCKY, I've had a couple of rolls of mat and cloth hanging around in one of the sheds for YEARS!! Never got rid of it and I don't know why, so now I have a use for it again. Funny how sometimes being a pack-rat pays off later on. I've often cussed having it because every once in a while something would catch on it and strands would go floating around. I may even have some glass rope in there.

FOURQ
08-24-2007, 07:17 PM
:idea: Well, FOURQ, if I ask a question you can bet I am serious and want a NO BS answer. If I wanted BS I'd go sit in a bar and those days are long over. :) SO SPEAK UP SON!! :D
ya I know but you did ask for " Ducky" so I thought I would let my good friend Scott answer the question that was asked of him :).. on a side note you got my email address and you know how to email :D :idea:

GAWnCA
08-24-2007, 10:43 PM
:idea:
ya I know but you did ask for " Ducky" so I thought I would let my good friend Scott answer the question that was asked of him :).. on a side note you got my email address and you know how to email :D :idea:
Well from now on I'll just post a topic and ask the questions. :) Thanks!! Greg

GAWnCA
08-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Well, there's a long story behind this simple repair but I'm sure you aren't all that interested, so here are the photos of before and after...
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/Bow_Hook_Repair.jpg
I got some funny shadows in the photo but I assure you that the bow is straight. Note how close the deck and the hull line up. I pulled the rub rail just so I could do a better half-assed job on the glass work and found that there was next to no gap and only a few spots where there was any overhang. I guess I'll put the rail back on until I can find a better one.
Thanks for the help and comments. :)

GAWnCA
08-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Well, there's a long story behind this simple repair but I'm sure you aren't all that interested, so here are the photos of before and after...
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/Bow_Hook_Repair.jpg
I got some funny shadows in the photo but I assure you that the bow is straight. Note how close the deck and the hull line up. I pulled the rub rail just so I could do a better half-assed job on the glass work and found that there was next to no gap and only a few spots where there was any overhang. I guess I'll put the rail back on until I can find a better one.
Thanks for the help and comments. :)
Well, here's the completed job with the exception of the black pin stripe.
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/Bow_Repair_Complete_001_sm.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/Bow_Repair_Complete_003_sm.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/Bow_Repair_Complete_002_sm.jpg
Now the trailer looks CRAPPY!!! :D Time to sand blast.

DUCKY
08-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Looks good from here....

GAWnCA
08-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Looks good from here....
Thanks and it should do until I do the entire boat for paint. There are some very thin spots on the bottom from someone running it up on the beach. When I get done that beaching stuff won't happen. :)

FOURQ
09-06-2007, 08:50 AM
its not done... you didnt replace the black pin.. :D :D :D :D
looks good great job