PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tundra or Dodge 1500

willowrat
08-20-2007, 11:04 AM
I am buying this weekend.
Toyotas have the great quality history and a 10K towing capacity.
Dodge is dealing and has the lifetime drive train warrenty is free. You just have to keep up on the maintenance. Only a 8500 towing capacity.
Any good or bad experiences?

dmontzsta
08-20-2007, 11:10 AM
My buddy has an 04 Dodge and it is a piece of crap. He has put alot of hard miles on it, but the suspension is harsh and rides like poo, the interior is very cheap and the switch panel on the doors has broken off and the dash is already cracked in 4 places. Very poorly built in 04 atleast. But, I would have you buy American over an import if I had a say. I would urge you to test drive the new F150 though! :) I love mine to death, they ride very smooth.

BrendellaJet
08-20-2007, 11:11 AM
I bought an 03 dodge ram with hemi new in July of, you guessed it, 2003.
It had this annoying ticking sound that I swear is an exhaust leak. Its gotten only slightly worse over the last few years. Dealer ignores my pleas to fix it. "its normal". Whatever.
It has been a good truck otherwise. First set of brakes lasted 60k miles, as did tires. Mileage has been 13-15 with mostly hwy, but always some regular stop & go. If just on the hwy I can average 16-17 if Im nice. Towing doesn't seem to make a real difference(5k pounds max here).
Im curious to see how the truck performs with the variable displacement motor. New warranty sounds nice.

BrendellaJet
08-20-2007, 11:13 AM
My buddy has an 04 Dodge and it is a piece of crap. He has put alot of hard miles on it, but the suspension is harsh and rides like poo, the interior is very cheap and the switch panel on the doors has broken off and the dash is already cracked in 4 places. Very poorly built in 04 atleast. But, I would have you buy American over an import if I had a say. I would urge you to test drive the new F150 though! :) I love mine to death, they ride very smooth.
Your friend sounds like a gentle giant...:idea:
Suspension is a little harsh, that could be changed though. Having come from a mushy chevy though it was a welcome change. Interior still looks new in my truck other than some wear & tear on the leather.

rivercrazy
08-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Gotta say I am really happy and continue to be impressed with my 2007 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4X4. Just past 8K miles and not one issue.
The 5.7L engine with the 6 speed tranny coupled with the 4.30 rear end is very stout. Pulled a number of different trailers and boats in challenging conditions. This truck doesn't even break a sweat. And I'm getting pretty decent mileage non-towing of 16-18mph.

warlock
08-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Go for the Dodge...Duhhh! Toyota's just don't look tough AT ALL...Not to mention....
http://ezinearticles.com/?Toyota-Tundra-Recall:-New-Trucks-Brakes-Break&id=47569
And.....
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/08/toyota-facing-anothertundra-recall/
And.....
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Auto_News/Tundra_Recall_Could_Cost_Toyota.S173.A12413.html

River Lynchmob
08-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Don't buy rice stick with american

rivercrazy
08-20-2007, 11:37 AM
No mfg is immune from recalls, including Dodge. Toyota's reputation for after sale service, warranty claims, etc is outstanding.
http://www.automotive.com/used-cars/recalls/11/dodge/ram-1500/index.html

warlock
08-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Well put! ;)

DCBDaytona
08-20-2007, 11:55 AM
I had a 2004 F-150 and recently bought a loaded 2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab...In my opinion, the Chevy and Toyota are the best in the market right now. The Toyota was just too large for my tastes! Check out the 07 Chevy's...they're building one hell of a truck now.

Stoneman
08-20-2007, 12:02 PM
From Consumer Reports.
No horsin' around
Full-sized pickups: Redesigns trotted out by Toyota and Chevrolet set the pace for serious trucks
Toyota Tundra
Toyota Tundra
Chevrolet Silverado
Chevrolet Silverado
Ford F-Series
Ford F-Series
Dodge Ram
Dodge Ram
The Toyota Tundra and Chevrolet Silverado (both available to
subscribers
) placed first and second in our comparison of large, half-ton pickups.
The Tundra, formerly a smaller, refined truck with carlike ride and handling, now goes head-to-head with GM and Ford in power, towing, payload capacity, and size. But it lost some refinement and livability in the redesign. Its superior drivetrain also yields class-leading acceleration. Thoughtful accommodations also help the Tundra top this group.
The Silverado (and its GMC Sierra twin) rides on a new platform that replaces one that was getting long in the tooth. It beat the Tundra in ride and access. Its interior, braking, and steering have improved.
The Ford F-150 and Dodge Ram 1500 (both available to
subscribers
), which are built on older platforms, bring up the rear, getting low marks for ride and seat comfort. While the Ford has remained much the same since its 2004 redesign, recent improvements to the Ram have improved it considerably.
The Chevrolet Avalanche remains our top-rated full-sized pickup. Its unified cab and bed help give it a more comfortable ride than the trucks tested here. The Nissan Titan, freshened for 2008, was unavailable in time to be included in this test.
Prices for our crew-cab trucks equipped with four-wheel drive and popular options ranged from $34,738 for the Tundra to $38,370 for the Ram. We predict above-average reliability for the Tundra based on the earlier models and other Toyotas, so it is recommended. The Ram now scores well enough and has the reliability to be recommended. The Silverado is too new for us to have reliability data, and previous versions have been below average. The F-150's below-average reliability prevents us from recommending it.
FAMILY BUSINESS
Four-door crew-cab models are often seen as alternatives to SUVs. They offer seating for five or six passengers, allowing these trucks to do double duty hauling families and towing a big trailer or lugging home building supplies. But as a class, fuel economy is poor and handling is anything but nimble. Also, most pickups have a very large rear blind zone behind the bumper; only the Tundra and 2008 Fords offer a rear-view camera.
Truck interiors have improved as trucks have moved from being exclusively work vehicles. This is evident by the improved interior materials and seat comfort of General Motors' new trucks. Depending on the trim line, GM now offers two different interiors and dashboards, one more functional and the other more luxurious. And all of these trucks offer lots of interior storage as well as amenities including satellite-radio and navigation systems.
PULLING POWER
In addition to the half-ton trucks, we tested heavy-duty (three-quarter-ton) pickups from Chevrolet, Dodge, and Ford. Exclusively offered by domestic manufacturers, these trucks have higher towing and payload capacities. While they are most often used by contractors and on work sites, some consumers buy these trucks to tow large horse trailers or camping or boat trailers. These three-quarter-ton trucks are often equipped with expensive, optional diesel engines that aid acceleration and fuel economy when towing.
But the trade-off is that the heavy-duty suspensions provide a rougher ride, their higher ride height makes access more difficult, and routine handling is more cumbersome. You also give up the stability control and automatic four-wheel-drive systems found on some half-ton trucks (see Heavy-duty pickups, available to
subscribers
).
Like most consumers, we bought well-equipped diesel crew-cab four-wheel-drive versions of these trucks. Base prices start around $37,000, but options pushed the prices up quickly, and all three of our trucks topped $50,000.

Stoneman
08-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Isn't Toyota the only one built in America??

Faceaz
08-20-2007, 12:05 PM
I bought an 03 dodge ram with hemi new in July of, you guessed it, 2003.
It had this annoying ticking sound that I swear is an exhaust leak. Its gotten only slightly worse over the last few years. Dealer ignores my pleas to fix it. "its normal". Whatever.
It has been a good truck otherwise. First set of brakes lasted 60k miles, as did tires. Mileage has been 13-15 with mostly hwy, but always some regular stop & go. If just on the hwy I can average 16-17 if Im nice. Towing doesn't seem to make a real difference(5k pounds max here).
Im curious to see how the truck performs with the variable displacement motor. New warranty sounds nice.
My brothers Dodge also had a ticking noise. The dealer found it was a part of the hydraulic lifters, I believe he called them tapets. They also really wanted to ignore the problem, but finally were persuaded to fix it & ended up installing a new short block.

warlock
08-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Isn't Toyota the only one built in America??
Aren't Toyota's made by Mattel? :eek: Might have lead paint....:D

mares98
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I am buying this weekend.
Toyotas have the great quality history and a 10K towing capacity.
Dodge is dealing and has the lifetime drive train warrenty is free. You just have to keep up on the maintenance. Only a 8500 towing capacity.
Any good or bad experiences?
I just purchased the 4x4 crewmax & already have the 06 sequoia, and logged 300,000 harsh miles on the 01 highlander.The only thing i ever replaced on the highlander was brake pads and routine oil changes.However My wife and i drive a minimum of 100 miles a day. In terms of reliability toyota is a decent choice, dont get me wrong I also owned several chebys and like them as well. just never had a bad experience with the daily driving toyota.

pw_Tony
08-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Put a Dodge in your Garage :D

Tom Brown
08-20-2007, 12:24 PM
There's no need to make a difficult choice. Get both.
Buy the Dodge. In a few months, have it bought back under the lemon law. From there, return your rental truck and buy the Toyota.
It's a win-win. :)

Stoneman
08-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Aren't Toyota's made by Mattel? :eek: Might have lead paint....:D
What???:confused:

2Driver
08-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Chevy/GMC 1500 crewcab with the Vortec Max option. 345 HP 295 torque and 10K towing. You should at least kick those tires. I love mine. Call Photoglou

roostwear
08-20-2007, 01:13 PM
I bought a 2007 hemi quad cab in Dec 2006 and just rolled 10,000 miles this morning. Ride is harsh? Just a tad, but that is more than likely if you have the 20's (I do), but don't feel it's "harsh" at all. It is a fun truck to drive... bottom line. The interior has the same spartan plastic, lack of style Chevy has, so there's no advantage/disadvantage there. I guess it comes down to what you're towing then. I tow 18' low freeboard boats, so max capacity doesn't come into play. Did I say it's fun to drive? :D Nail it from a light or even passing and you'll find out why the hemi is so much fun. The MDS has given me (with a VERY light foot) 20 mpg (no BS)... I'd like to see anything comparable do that. Even over 90 you'll get 15 mpg. Uh, that's what I've heard :D
If what you want to do is tow 10,000 pounds, buy a Toyota. If you want to smoke a ricer from a light... well, did I say it's fun to drive?

rivercrazy
08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Ahhh. The new Toyota will easily beat the Dodge Hemi in any race. 0-30, 0-40, 0-60, or the 1/4 mile. Loaded and unloaded......
Towing Comparisions - Toyota came out on top.
http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=1210051

roostwear
08-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Easily? Don't know about that, but let's find out. I only know about the ones I've come up against. THEY were no problem. I'll even run it without the headers. Oh BTW, headers will be available for the '07 hemi in a few weeks from Doug Thorley. Final dyno results to follow.
Anyhow, bring your Toyota around Rivercrazy and let's see how easily it'll beat the hemi at anything.

HocusPocus
08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
i have an 05, 1500, hemi, quad cab, 4x that just went over 40,000 miles and i have never had a problem with it. i don't hammer it and it gets serviced every 3000 miles. been a great truck for me and does all i need it to do.

roostwear
08-20-2007, 01:49 PM
3. Dodge Ram, 5.9L gas. What a pig, horrible gas mileage, but tons of torque. Lots of room, but made in mexico. Paint faded fast.
I don't know about the other models, but I had a 2001 long bed quad cab with the 5.9l, and it WAS a pig. I had no problem with the paint fading, and the mileage was comparable the other gas hogs of the time (bad yes, terrible not so much). I had heard of people complaining about trannies, but never had a problem with mine. Regular trans services every 20k miles. Half of it's 80k miles were towing, so apparently I got lucky, or maintenance really is the key. The most annoying thing about that truck was the plastic dash cracking at 4 years. Look at any manufacturer and you'll find problems. Just depends on how well they spin it......:D

LAFD
08-20-2007, 01:53 PM
i have an 03 ram quad cab hemi and love it. i have a 4 inch lift, kyb shocks, 456 gears with lockers and a rocking sound system. has never givin me any problems. just turned 53k. tows like a mofo.

BrendellaJet
08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
I forgot to add, my dodge gets hammered on a pretty regular basis. When it was first new I was known to smoke the hides a few hundred feet on a fairly regular basis. I haven't lost a race to any truck that wasn't a deisel...Escalade and lightning included.

roostwear
08-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I haven't lost a race to any truck that wasn't a deisel...
You lost a race to a diesel?

H20 Toie
08-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Don't plan on pulling 10k with the Toyota it may be rated for it but it sure isn't safe. I pulled my boat with one once, never again.
I'm amazed at the two ratings all the manf have on there half ton trucks.

rivercrazy
08-20-2007, 02:12 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/download/0704_paydirt_powertrain_ss.pdf
Pretty strait forward results from Car & Driver Magazine:
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
0-30: 2.2 seconds
0-60: 6.1 seconds
0-100: 17.1 seconds
1/4 Mile: 14.9 seconds at 94 mph
2007 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi
0-30: 2.8 seconds
0-60: 7.9 seconds
0-100: 25.3 seconds
1/4 Mile: 16.2 seconds @ 86 mph

dmontzsta
08-20-2007, 02:16 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/download/0704_paydirt_powertrain_ss.pdf
Pretty strait forward results from Car & Driver Magazine:
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
0-30: 2.2 seconds
0-60: 6.1 seconds
0-100: 17.1 seconds
1/4 Mile: 14.9 seconds at 94 mph
2007 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi
0-30: 2.8 seconds
0-60: 7.9 seconds
0-100: 25.3 seconds
1/4 Mile: 16.2 seconds @ 86 mph
16.2 for the hemi? that sounds wrong.

rivercrazy
08-20-2007, 02:32 PM
From Motor Trend...........0-60 in 8.6 seconds and 16.5 quarter mile at 83 mph.......
2006 Truck Of The Year Road Test: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
A Familiar Face Masks An All-New Personality
By Editors of Motor Trend
Photography by John Kiewicz, Brian Vance, Evan Wollenberg
You're Probably wondering why we included the Ram 1500 in our 2006 Truck of the Year competition, especially since it looks nearly identical to the 2005 model. How different could it be from the previous year? A lot, to say the least. Besides minor alterations to the exterior--new headlights, a full chrome grille, revised bumpers, and a tailgate spoiler--the 2006 Ram has received significant upgrades under the skin, namely a fresh frame. While still hydroformed, the new architecture is stiffer--17 percent in bending, 5.5 percent in torsion--features a larger front crush zone and offers replaceable rail tips, similar to the Dakota's frame, for easier fender-bender repair. Bolted to the Ram's stronger bones is a heavily revised suspension, which sports retuned springs, bushings, and monotube dampers, as well as a new front control-arm, coil-over-shock setup on 4WD trims, which replaces the 2005's torsion bars.
On-road, the benefits are immediately evident. The 2006 Ram feels "more responsive and locked down around the high-speed turns," as one editor noted. Another opined, "Handling is quite good (dare I say fun?) in the tight road course." The ride, even with the huge 20-inch wheels and low-profile Goodyears, was compliant, making the reworked cabin--now with more insulation, thicker glass, triple door seals, and a new instrument panel with an available nav system--an even more enjoyable and quieter space to occupy. Off the blacktop, however, the Ram bounced over the bumps: More body control, please. Power for our tester came from Dodge's renowned 5.7-liter Hemi pushrod V-8, but the 2006 iteration now boasts improved fuel economy--14/18 versus 13/17--thanks to an integrated Multi-Displacement System, which deactivates four cylinders under light-throttle applications.
With 345 horsepower and 375 pound-feet of torque channeled through a seamless five-speed automatic, the Ram delivered strong, immediate power as well as impressive numbers--0 to 60 in 8.6 seconds and the quarter mile in 16.5 at 83.8 mph. The 2006 Ram is the undoubtedly the best Ram ever and will keep Dodge in the run against all-new entries from GM and Toyota next year.

Tom Brown
08-20-2007, 02:42 PM
16.2 for the hemi? that sounds wrong.
I think we're used to seeing numbers like 11s and 12s for fast production cars. Those numbers, of course, are lies.
A car that can do the quarter mile in an honest 15s is a fast car. Not the fastest, perhaps, but fast.
The thing is, if you buy a 12s car from someone and take it to the track, it will take more than 12s to get through the run. Much more.
The only time the numbers are valid is if two cars are tested at the same time on the same track using the exact same techniques. The resultant numbers are just a reference.

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 02:58 PM
I've owned 3 Toyota P/U's a few Toyota cars, at least 3 GM trucks, and 4 Dodge P/U's/Durangos starting in 2001. The Dodges have been just as reliable as the Toyotas. The GM's were the worst.
I just bought a 2007 Mega cab 4x4 2500. Very happy. I think you would be happy with either, but the Toyota is not worth the $$. For the price of the Tundra CrewMax you can buy a 2500 Mega Diesel. That is a no-brainer. Buy a Dodge diesel.

dmontzsta
08-20-2007, 02:59 PM
I think we're used to seeing numbers like 11s and 12s for fast production cars. Those numbers, of course, are lies.
A car that can do the quarter mile in an honest 15s is a fast car. Not the fastest, perhaps, but fast.
The thing is, if you buy a 12s car from someone and take it to the track, it will take more than 12s to get through the run. Much more.
The only time the numbers are valid is if two cars are tested at the same time on the same track using the exact same techniques. The resultant numbers are just a reference.
My old Maxima ran 14.6's, I guess that is one rice mobile that would have not lost to the mighty HEMI!!! :)

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Who gives a fock about the 1/4 mile? This is a truck, not a ricer drag car:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dmontzsta
08-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Who gives a fock about the 1/4 mile? This is a truck, not a ricer drag car:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
In the IE if you do not have a fast truck, you are just a punk! Oh yeah and it has to be lifted as well, or you have a small penis too.

Tom Brown
08-20-2007, 03:10 PM
My old Maxima ran 14.6's, I guess that is one rice mobile that would have not lost to the mighty HEMI!!! :)
My money would be on the 3rd gen Maxima SE. My Maxima is in the high 16s. I dare say I would lose to a hemi Ram.

rivercrazy
08-20-2007, 03:16 PM
I agree - trucks are not the best for racing.
But hp/torque greatly benefits towing and carrying loads. As a side benefit, it also leads to better track times. Personally, I rather have more power than less.
And as for pricing, there is no way I could have purchased a diesel powered 3/4 ton from Chevy, Ford, or Dodge for what I paid for the Tundra. Reality in the USA light truck market is big discounts off sticker price no matter what the brand.

dmontzsta
08-20-2007, 03:16 PM
My money would be on the 3rd gen Maxima SE. My Maxima is in the high 16s. I dare say I would lose to a hemi Ram.
Maybe he should buy a Maxima? what is your towing capacity...I mean, your boat is pretty big, how does it do? I bet it handles better and rides smoother too!!! :D

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 03:28 PM
But hp/torque greatly benefits towing and carrying loads. As a side benefit, it also leads to better track times. Personally, I rather have more power than less.
And as for pricing, there is no way I could have purchased a diesel powered 3/4 ton from Chevy, Ford, or Dodge for what I paid for the Tundra. Reality in the USA light truck market is big discounts off sticker price no matter what the brand.
Don't be so sure. I bet I bought my truck for what you paid for the Toyota (if it is a loaded 4x4 CrewMax).

dmontzsta
08-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Ford is supposed to be re-designing in 2009, so we should see a new F150 by the middle of next year. Supposedly they are going to have a diesel option for the F150. Ford has ruled the truck world for many, many years now and I am positive they are going to step it up another notch. :)

H20 Toie
08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
It depends on the truck, mine does pretty well :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2573DSC01342.JPG

PaPaG
08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
I wanna say just one thing: DODGE, Lifetime Warranty...drive the crap out of it and give it to your kid in 5 years :D (warranty is good as long as you own the car)

DodgeChick
08-20-2007, 05:56 PM
It depends on the truck, mine does pretty well :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2573DSC01342.JPG
I would go for the Dodge - Chicks dig them, much better looking than a Toyota. :D

Tom Brown
08-20-2007, 06:00 PM
I would go for the Dodge - Chicks dig them, much better looking than a Toyota. :D
It would seem I need to rethink my position on Dodge versus Toyota. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
I've been wondering where you've been, DC.

DodgeChick
08-20-2007, 06:08 PM
It would seem I need to rethink my position on Dodge versus Toyota. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
I've been wondering where you've been, DC.
After your date thread, the men were beating down the doors. LOL :D
If you drive a Dodge you get bonus points ;)

AZJD
08-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Was this a poll for which is worst? hahaha:D :D :D
Just playin!

RitcheyRch
08-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I would get the Tundra but hard to pas up the deal witht he lifetime warranty on the Dodge.

willowrat
08-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the input. I knew there were some passionate truck owners out there.

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the input. I knew there were some passionate truck owners out there.
PM me your budget price range. I may be able to hook you up with a Dodge if you are willing to drive to Phoenix.

catman-do
08-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I own a Dodge, but its diesel. I think their gas motors are junk, so i would say toyota. However, with that new lifetime warrant, who cares if its got some problems.... its fixed for free and you can do it until 3-400k!

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 09:09 PM
I own a Dodge, but its diesel. I think their gas motors are junk, so i would say toyota. However, with that new lifetime warrant, who cares if its got some problems.... its fixed for free and you can do it until 3-400k!
Why junk? Have you ever owned one?

catman-do
08-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Why junk? Have you ever owned one?
Ive owned 2. Trans problems. One was a pickup and other a car. Im on the 4th Dodge right now. Ive also had 2 Chevy's (Silverado Diesel was a POS, and a 56 Nomad). Have had one Ford (2000 F250 Diesel and was great). Also had a 2001 Toyota that was teh best car Ive ever had. Had a civic that was a close 2nd, and our Acura we have now is so-so.

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Ive owned 2. Trans problems. One was a pickup and other a car. Im on the 4th Dodge right now. Ive also had 2 Chevy's (Silverado Diesel was a POS, and a 56 Nomad). Have had one Ford (2000 F250 Diesel and was great). Also had a 2001 Toyota that was teh best car Ive ever had. Had a civic that was a close 2nd, and our Acura we have now is so-so.
But this has nothing to do with the reliability of Dodge motors. I have owned and towed with a 4.7Mag, a 5.7Hemi Mag, two 5.9 Diesels and none of them have ever given me a single issue. My Hemi had the "tick" but it is typical and it never really bothered me. It was an EFI sound, never was an issue. For what it is worth I never had any trans issues either.
Toyota is not what it used to be quality wise. I have had more minor issues with my 2004 Camry then all of my 1980's and 1990's Toyota P/U's combined. Althogh I did get one of the 1990 3.0 V-6 head gasket issue motors in one of my Toyota trucks which is the most major problem I have had with any vehicle.