PDA

View Full Version : Plumber question...

Outnumbered
08-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Landscaper broke my copper water main today with a pick-axe. Focking main was only 8" under grade:mad:
Anyway, he fixed it using a brass compression union. Is this going to hold perm or should I have him solder a new piece of pipe in?
Thanks

Boatcop
08-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Negative, Ghost Rider!
Make him solder a coupling on it.
I don't think you can put compression fittings underground.
National Plumbing Code (http://rialliance.net/test.html)

bchbum
08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Under ground with no side to side movement ,should be no problem . I use these all the time on the docks , I've used them on pvc when we can't get a complete shutdown also. If you don't like it make them do it right .

ULTRA26 # 1
08-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Negative, Ghost Rider!
Alan,
You got me again with that POS. :)

voodoomedman
08-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Negative, Ghost Rider!
Seriously dude! I think it takes away your credibility a little bit. I for one always value what you say but I will think twice before clicking on anything you post. I mean once or twice but your putting it on every thread.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Seriously dude! I think it takes away your credibility a little bit. I for one always value what you say but I will think twice before clicking on anything you post. I mean once or twice but your putting it on every thread.
It's a link on an Internet message board.....it's not that big of a deal.....Certainly not enough to call into question someones credibility.....Hover over the link before you click on it, it's the safest thing to do anyway with any link.....

Boatcop
08-23-2007, 01:32 PM
What can I say. I'm home today and bored.
"Fool me once, Shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me."
:D

voodoomedman
08-23-2007, 01:32 PM
It's a link on an Internet message board.....it's not that big of a deal.....Certainly not enough to call into question someones credibility.....Hover over the link before you click on it, it's the safest thing to do anyway with any link.....
Don't get me wrong I'm not all butthurt. Just trying to give a word to the wise. I'm a little more than computer savvy and I know to mouse over and read the link. The thing is that Alan is credible and I usually don't think twice about clicking on one of his links. Now I will think about it and maybe even question if his post is just a shill so he can post up the link. Once or twice is funny but doing it on every post for a couple of days with no end in sight. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Outnumbered
08-23-2007, 01:42 PM
OK, back on topic please.:) I would like to burry this water main but I am thinking if it starts to leak while its burried it will take a while to find out. If it is no biggie then I am good to go.
Thanks

redneckcharlie
08-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm not all butthurt. Just trying to give a word to the wise. I'm a little more than computer savvy and I know to mouse over and read the link. The thing is that Alan is credible and I usually don't think twice about clicking on one of his links. Now I will think about it and maybe even question if his post is just a shill so he can post up the link. Once or twice is funny but doing it on every post for a couple of days with no end in sight. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
I'd have to agree! It pisses me the fook off! With all the crap that goes on with the internet and viruses, I just don't think that kind of thing is a joke at all. Just my O2, doesn't mean a whole lot.;)

redneckcharlie
08-23-2007, 01:46 PM
The kind of repair your talking about is used very frequently on job sites. Theres nothing wrong with them. Eighty percent of the plumbing repairs I do contain a slip type compression fitting. I use alot of the Shark Bite connects. I have yet to have any fail. I personally wouldn't worry about it, but I also do it every day. Good luck.:) :)

framer1
08-23-2007, 01:47 PM
I have to agree....i'm done opening any links:rolleyes: Personally I really don't think its that funny....it's just a pain in the ass. imho I always felt like this site was a safe haven from that Bull$hit

ULTRA26 # 1
08-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Landscaper broke my copper water main today with a pick-axe. Focking main was only 8" under grade:mad:
Anyway, he fixed it using a brass compression union. Is this going to hold perm or should I have him solder a new piece of pipe in?
Thanks
Considering that sweating in a new piece of copper isn't that difficult, I would have it repaired correctly. I had the same thing happen when I was replacing my concrete driveway with pavers. It was repaired with new piece of copper, soldered in place. Just my.02

Outnumbered
08-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Considering that sweating in a new piece of copper isn't that difficult, I would have it repaired correctly. I had the same thing happen when I was replacing my concrete driveway with pavers. It was repaired with new piece of copper, soldered in place. Just my.02
I agree with you. The guy did not have his torch and shit wit him so he just did it this way. I told him to leave it exposed for a day so I can keep an eye on it. I think I'll have him come back and do it right. I am afraid the tree roots nearby may heave it a little and cause it to leak a year or two down the road.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Fair enough. Came across as you were butthurt...I have not seen the other posts with the link so that's why I thought it was no big deal...Besides, having met Alan a few years ago, not for work related reasons, I know he's a cool cat...

rrrr
08-23-2007, 02:20 PM
LOL......I've been all cool n' shit the last few days because I avoided the Rick roller......Boatcop nailed my ass on that one. :D :D

Rexone
08-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen (using the term loosely)...
I've had numerous complaints on the link. The party needs to be over. Please stop posting it everywhere.
While I can tell you how to install a toilet, I'll refrain from commenting on the pressure line issue. If it doesn't have to do with some kind of shit, I never get involved. ;)

rrrr
08-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Rexie, I have a suggestion......every time the link get posted, move the thread to the "Just Jets" forum. It'll keep 'em entertained for hours over there. :crossx: :crossx: :D

Ziggy
08-23-2007, 02:48 PM
I thought code requires no fittings beneath grade. I'd at least want a soldered fitting.

Ziggy
08-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen (using the term loosely)...
I've had numerous complaints on the link. ;)
Are you kidding me, people actually whine to you about petty stuff? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It's never even occured to me to complain about shit here, hell its a free site...:sleeping:

blown65
08-23-2007, 03:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I have opened that link about 6 times in the last couple days and thought it was pretty damn funny every time. I think people just like to bitch about anything and everything :(
same here, and I know computers pretty well, just lazy I guess. Not really a big deal but I guess some get butt hurt over silly things.
As for the question at hand, I would solder it in also. While compression fittings usually will hold up just fine, my luck is usually not that good and I end up with a leak at the least desirable time. (We use slip fix fittings, but thats for PVC) Just have him fix it correctly, it wasn't your fault anyways.

gas Hogg
08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
As far as the coupling it will last for ever if you back fill it correctly. The main issue is what goes over it. If it's under concrete, pavement or anything else that is expensave to remove think twice about the coupler. I install hundreds of those things a year and I have never had one go bad. But as a contractor that does take pride in his work I wouldn't do that if the customer was uncomfortable with it. Of course I would have to issue a change order to fix it properly.:D

2Driver
08-23-2007, 03:27 PM
No brainer. take it off and solder in a correct piece. You are talking to a guy that had to replace the main from the house to the street after several compression fixes. All focking 1/4 mile of it. :sqeyes: :mad:

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-23-2007, 04:13 PM
i KNOW IT IS PROBABLY TOO LATE AND IT IS FIXED BUT..
i WOULD HAVE HIM DO IT CORRECTLY AND SOLDER ON A NEW COUPLING..ooops not yelling..
the compression fittings are good for short term repairs.. and will not last while under constant pressure for very long.. they are not aloud under ground or inside walls.. If they are used they must be exposed.. the water main is suppose to be 12" below ground.. to the top of the pipe..yours is pretty shallow..But I would make or have him do it correctly ,, it will save you on the headache later on down the road.
Hope the info helped.. good luck.:)

Outnumbered
08-23-2007, 04:36 PM
i KNOW IT IS PROBABLY TOO LATE AND IT IS FIXED BUT..
i WOULD HAVE HIM DO IT CORRECTLY AND SOLDER ON A NEW COUPLING..ooops not yelling..
the compression fittings are good for short term repairs.. and will not last while under constant pressure for very long.. they are not aloud under ground or inside walls.. If they are used they must be exposed.. the water main is suppose to be 12" below ground.. to the top of the pipe..yours is pretty shallow..But I would make or have him do it correctly ,, it will save you on the headache later on down the road.
Hope the info helped.. good luck.:)
Cool, thanks. Not too late.

Outnumbered
08-23-2007, 04:37 PM
No brainer. take it off and solder in a correct piece. You are talking to a guy that had to replace the main from the house to the street after several compression fixes. All focking 1/4 mile of it. :sqeyes: :mad:
Thanks. How long did they last?

sorry dog
08-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Underground stuff is supposed to be 30" deep min where I live.
Is it K or L type copper?
If it's K I'd leave it alone. I've never been a fan of sweating soft stuff.
I've I had to excavate a slab or two for bad sweat welds too.
If your worried about it then use then opportunity to put an irrigation box over it and put a street pressure boiler drain on it. You can check it easily if you suspect any problems.
BTW - there's fittings underground everywhere...usually MJ but I've seen a few flanges and even a victaulic UG.
Oh...and I'm not a plumber but I did stay at a Holiday inn last year.

Troy McClure
08-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Not a Plumber here,
BUT, my understanding is that you don't mix the metals. Copper to galv. I know is bad, and although brass is and alloy of copper should you mix them? Don't know the answer.
However, I would have had him fix it without the slip joint.
Glad I was of no help. :sleeping:

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Not a Plumber here,
BUT, my understanding is that you don't mix the metals. Copper to galv. I know is bad, and although brass is and alloy of copper should you mix them? Don't know the answer.
However, I would have had him fix it without the slip joint.
Glad I was of no help. :sleeping:
copper to Galv. Produces electrolosis.. and rotts out both.. they need to be separated with Brass.. ;)

Troy McClure
08-23-2007, 04:57 PM
copper to Galv. Produces electrolosis.. and rotts out both.. they need to be separated with Brass.. ;)
There ya go, corrected by a chick....GREAT!!!:eek: :eek: :mad:

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-23-2007, 04:58 PM
There ya go, corrected by a chick....GREAT!!!:eek: :eek: :mad:
Not corrected.. Just helping for your benefit..:)

Troy McClure
08-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Not corrected.. Just helping for your benefit..:)
Alright then, thanks for letting me off easy..;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Alright then, thanks for letting me off easy..;)
LOL!! your welcome..:D

YeLLowBoaT
08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
My understand is they have to have a none conductive insulater between them. hence the plastic part of diaelectric unions. Just don't forget to put the damn thing on before you sweat the fittings... :) I've done that just a few times... also seen several guys hit it with the tourch while its around the fitting.

riverroyal
08-23-2007, 06:51 PM
but its the wrong way to due it.It sould be soldered back together,with WATER SOLUABLE flux.Also it should be buried with plastic around it.Copper and dirt dont mix.It will corrode over time.