PDA

View Full Version : Ultra 27' Shadow peeps...

Mattman
08-23-2007, 02:45 PM
I need your input. Helping a buddy shop for a cat. Talked to Barry at Ultra today and got some good info and now I need all of your guys/gals input on goods, bads, indifferent and so on. He has narrowed his picks down to two manufacturers. We will be in Havasu Sun thru Tues looking at the one then headed to Ultra. Anybody available those days for a ride? If not, your input here would be appreciated. Also, if you have any info/feedback on the 26' Deck.

Bense468
08-23-2007, 02:50 PM
There is an ultra section on these boards. Johnwithjm also has a real nice 26 deck for sale on here. Its the corona ultra demo boat.

Cole Trickle
08-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Quality manufacturer
Great customer service
nice product
Heavy boat with alot of freeboard
Great room and cuddy for a cat
Alot of boat/rigging for the $$$
The 27 needs atleast a 525 to take advantage of hull (80mph)
The 26 (my favorite boat i could afford) is a little lower profile with the same bottom. boat is a little lighter and works well with a 496HO....It would be a hot rod 85+ with a 525
I think you will be hard pressed to get more for your money. I have never heard a owner of a ultra talk negatively about there boat or company.

Deano
08-23-2007, 03:07 PM
My brother has a shadow and loves it. He had a few issues with his "unwarranted" engine. John stepped up and took care of it without issue…huge props to John and crew.
I am seriously considering getting a 26 deck with outboards for next season. Nice boats, priced right, and great customer service.

dicudmore
08-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I need your input. Helping a buddy shop for a cat. Talked to Barry at Ultra today and got some good info and now I need all of your guys/gals input on goods, bads, indifferent and so on. He has narrowed his picks down to two manufacturers. We will be in Havasu Sun thru Tues looking at the one then headed to Ultra. Anybody available those days for a ride? If not, your input here would be appreciated. Also, if you have any info/feedback on the 26' Deck.
what else is he looking at?
Ultra 27' Shadow--my take (I owned one for a year)
overall an outstanding lake boat. As said--NEEDS a 525 or bigger. Beautiful gel-coat work, nice rigging, nice interior layout--very roomy! 27 is a TALL boat, lots of freeboard and makes for a very dry ride. You have to try pretty hard to get sprayed in the face driving that :cool: A trained monkey could get you home safe in one--very easy to drive, no bad habits--no porpoise at any speed, and no tricks. Very confidence inspiring boat to drive aka you won't go down the lake thinking, wow, that maneuver almost killed us! Will lean out a little bit in turns at slower speeds, at 60+ will take a nice inside lean. Very solid build and very stable ride, its a heavy boat.
26' deck is the same bottom--less freeboard and no molded swim step.

dicudmore
08-23-2007, 03:19 PM
My brother has a shadow and loves it. He had a few issues with his "unwarranted" engine. John stepped up and took care of it without issue…huge props to John and crew.
I am seriously considering getting a 26 deck with outboards for next season. Nice boats, priced right, and great customer service.
was that the raylar motor shadow build?

ULTRA26 # 1
08-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Now you're talkin. I have been waiting to see a 26 with twins for a long time. Fast, for sure.

Deano
08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
was that the raylar motor shadow build?
Not sure who built it first. It's all forged with a few more ponies now:D Everyone went out of their way to make it a kick ass engine.

voodoomedman
08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
PM Shippingguy if he doesn't see this. I'm sure he will take care of you with your info.

Deano
08-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Now you're talkin. I have been waiting to see a 26 with twins for a long time. Fast, for sure.
After my dilema that put me on the beach for a month..I'm thinking weed wackers are the way to go on those wide open, up river, extended runs:)

Singleton
08-23-2007, 03:32 PM
The Ultra 26 Deck is a great boat.
Only great weekends on the river with it and it works well with the 496HO.
IMO the Ultra team takes cutomer service to the next level. On the way home from my first trip to the river, my truck broke down heading into El Cajon. Called John and Jason at Ultra and the next thing I knew, I was parking my boat at Ultra for two weeks while my truck was getting fixed. Allowed me to nurse the truck home and not worry about the boat.

dicudmore
08-23-2007, 03:33 PM
After my dilema that put me on the beach for a month..I'm thinking weed wackers are the way to go on those wide open, up river, extended runs:)
Dan <----outboard convert :D :D
however, do you like the smell of gear oil? You'll be changing it often, like every day that you run your boat :D

Cole Trickle
08-23-2007, 03:45 PM
I would love to build that boat:)
26 Deck+2X 300XS's =:devil: :D :sqeyes:

dicudmore
08-23-2007, 03:50 PM
I would love to build that boat:)
26 Deck+2X 300XS's =:devil: :D :sqeyes:
get on with it :D winter build--it can be ready for the LA show :cool:

ultra27jay
08-23-2007, 03:54 PM
i love mine......

Cole Trickle
08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
get on with it :D winter build--it can be ready for the LA show :cool:
Brandin + cost of wedding = :( ;) :D
Your free and single when are you trading in the 30 for a 32 with twin merc 700's?:D :idea:

dicudmore
08-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I forgot in my first reply the most important part, or at least it was to me when I was having a boat built last (late 05)
What sold me on the Shadow, and why I would buy another one over lots of other choices and great boats was the people that are Ultra boats...
I posted my experiences here, and I'm sure with enough searching I could find the old threads but it was how I was treated and how much they all genuinely cared about us that was a deal sealer.
I broke a drive the day of the desert storm poker run 06, somebody must have seen us getting towed and called Ultra because my cell was ringing with JW on the line asking about the boat long before we were done towing it in. He made a few calls and had service arrangements made for me by the time I got back to the house. Just one of MANY help stories :cool:

dicudmore
08-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Brandin + cost of wedding = :( ;) :D
Your free and single when are you trading in the 30 for a 32 with twin merc 700's?:D :idea:
when I'm finished with the 26' outboard boat :D

Cole Trickle
08-23-2007, 04:03 PM
when I'm finished with the 26' outboard boat :D
No way your going from a 30 to a 26 considering your addition to speed...lol
I figured you for a 40 flat deck proir to 2010:devil: :D

shippingguy
08-23-2007, 04:43 PM
First off. Ultra as a company is great. My wife was JW's assistant for four years. I also help JW and John D. with sales on the side when they need help and at the shows. I am on my fourth Ultra in the same amount of years. I started out as just a regular old customer coming through the door. I have been treated very well since day one and believe in their product. You will be hard pressed to find anybody to say anything bad about the company, JW and their boats.
Now regarding the 27 Shadow. I am on my second one. My first had a 525 and now this 20007 has a Teague 800. The boat is very easy to drive. I would not suggest anything less than a 525 in the 27. The boat is very roomy and it is a heavy boat, puts up the same performance #'s as any other in it's class weighing 800-1000 lbs less. It will go thorugh any chop that Havasu will thorw at it. The boat DOES NOT PORPOISE at any speed or in ANY water conditions. There is a ton of storage and plenty of room in the cuddy which is hard to find in a cat in this size class. I can sit down there comfortably and I am 6'3. Bang for the buck you will be hard pressed to find another boat out there that will give you all that the 27 Shadow has to offer and most importantly Ultra will stand behind their product no matter what.
The 26 Deck is the same bottom less freeboard. I put about 10-15 hours on the first one out of the mold giving test rides at last years regatta. The boat handls the chop very well. I personally am not a deckboat person, but I would not hesitate in buying one if I was in the market for a deckboat.
If you have any other questions or are looking for a ride I will be out for Labor Day and will be more than willing to give you and your buddy a ride in my boat. You can PM me or call me anytime at 714-313-1235.
Mike

blender over
08-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Also go look at Carrera's 257 (26ft), i love mine, EZ to drive, no hidden suprizes and rides very well in big chop:D
Mine 496+procharger 3.5 psi +28pitch merc bravo =80plus mph everyday i take it out:D

Cigalert
08-23-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm the friend of Mattman. Thanks for all the info. I was almost 100% set on a Sleek Enforcer and then I started to get turned on by the 27 Thor (I like the idea of not being able to haul dumbasses around because I'm out of room). Yeah price increase to say the least but the lines of the Thor are pretty damn nice. After about 45 phone calls and text between Mattman and I he suggusted to take a peek at the 27 Shadow. I let him know I've already been kicking that one around also and I love the lines of the 27 but heard it was a little on the heavy side. While looking at the 27 I actually think I like the 26 deck a little more. But the wife doesn't want a deck with the little one now in the picture. I really like the idea of the 27 having a lot of freeboard.
For the cali peeps, I just got through paying my taxes on a $35k boat. Obviously the we're talking about are over double. Do you register a Ultra in cali or AZ? Or am I paying a grand a year for luxury tax? What should I be looking at on insurance on a 525 on either of the 27 cats or 26 deck?
I'm making a decision within the next month and just trying to tell my ducks where the hell I'm want them and how straight.
Just some thoughts from the guy behind the guy.
So where should I attempt to sell my current boat...you think a 2006 Yamaha AR210 is worthy of posting in the spam section?

voodoomedman
08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Legally you are supposed to register the boat where you use it 51% of the time or more. If that is Arizona then register it there. Ultra will do it for you in the first place. You register the trailer in California and those are permanent registrations and very cheap. The registration on the boat being 27 feet and you being a non-resident will be $292 per year. A lot more than 10 bucks every two years in Cali but no luxury tax ever. That's actually cheaper than you were paying on your other boat at what about $350? Anyways, I haven't driven a 27 myself but I can attest to the quality of the build and from what I've seen they are building better and better each year and with each boat. And customer service is top notch. John West, John D. or Barry will do you right. Cannot go wrong with the Ultra. If you decide to go the other route us Ultra guys will still talk to you though. No special club. Buy what makes the most sense for your family and pocketbook.
I'm the friend of Mattman. Thanks for all the info. I was almost 100% set on a Sleek Enforcer and then I started to get turned on by the 27 Thor (I like the idea of not being able to haul dumbasses around because I'm out of room). Yeah price increase to say the least but the lines of the Thor are pretty damn nice. After about 45 phone calls and text between Mattman and I he suggusted to take a peek at the 27 Shadow. I let him know I've already been kicking that one around also and I love the lines of the 27 but heard it was a little on the heavy side. While looking at the 27 I actually think I like the 26 deck a little more. But the wife doesn't want a deck with the little one now in the picture. I really like the idea of the 27 having a lot of freeboard.
For the cali peeps, I just got through paying my taxes on a $35k boat. Obviously the we're talking about are over double. Do you register a Ultra in cali or AZ? Or am I paying a grand a year for luxury tax? What should I be looking at on insurance on a 525 on either of the 27 cats or 26 deck?
I'm making a decision within the next month and just trying to tell my ducks where the hell I'm want them and how straight.
So where should I attempt to sell my current boat...you think a 2006 Yamaha AR210 is worthy of posting in the spam section?

shippingguy
08-23-2007, 07:36 PM
You can register in AZ as a non-resident. You will not have to pay any luxury tax. Your comment about the 27 being a bit heavy. It is heavier than most in its size class which in turn makes for a more solid ride. Remember it will put up the same #'s as those lighter ones. That says alot about the bottom design technology.
Like I previously stated if you are going to be out for Labor day we will be at Park Moabi and there will be about 5- 6 Shadows up there and a 26 Deck. I will be more than happy to make a run in my boat with you.
Mike
Mike

Hfmnhoe
08-23-2007, 07:49 PM
just thought id let everyone know that ya, ray at raylar and john took care of the boat big time. now its got a 600hp with fully forged internals and a full one year warranty from intake to pan. boat runs 79-80 with stock 26p. i'm labbing a 28p right now should be closer to 90 when its done. :)

Deano
08-23-2007, 07:58 PM
But the wife doesn't want a deck with the little one now in the picture.
I think that is a reason to get a deck. What is she worried about? I raised my dauther, now 7, on deck boats. It's much easier to get on and off of when beached, and more room. The kids are sitting when in motion on any boat and always have a PFD on. The only thing I can think a shadow would be better for is the cuddy to be in the shade, but a bimini covers that.
Dan <----outboard convert
however, do you like the smell of gear oil? You'll be changing it often, like every day that you run your boat
Today 04:32 PM
That's better than #2 cylinder:devil:
boat runs 79 with stock 26p. im labbing a 28p right now should be closer to 90 when its done.
nice..see you Saturday (D's bday)..:D

shadow
08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
I think that is a reason to get a deck. What is she worried about? I raised my dauther, now 7, on deck boats. It's much easier to get on and off of when beached, and more room. The kids are sitting when in motion on any boat and always have a PFD on. The only thing I can think a shadow would be better for is the cuddy to be in the shade, but a bimini covers that.
That's better than #2 cylinder:devil:
nice..see you Saturday (D's bday)..:D
We had our 27 Shadow for 5 seasons and it was a great boat! I can honestly say that i NEVER had one quality isse with anything that had to do with Ultra.
5 seasons we used our boat more than most people dream of and that boat was as solid the day we sold it as the day we bought it.
I would recomend as others have don't go with anything less than a 525.
My wife and grandson used to use the seating down below quite a bit while under way,very nice area to get out of the weather although warm in the summer,nothing a couple of 12v fans couldn't help to circulate the air.
I'll see if i can dig up a couple of pics of the seats down below and the bed area.

Hfmnhoe
08-23-2007, 08:08 PM
if you buddy lives close to lake elsinore we can find a day, i'll take my 27' shadow out.
check it out in ***boat mag. 8-07

shadow
08-23-2007, 08:21 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5472DSCF2128-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5472DSCF2127-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5472DSCF2126-med.JPG

Froggystyle
08-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Nice boats for sure. I have a pretty nice one that one of my clients is selling here if your buddy is into a newer used boat. It will have a zero hour 496 and is going to be in the $70K range with a big stereo, external steering and some nice upgrades like tabs and such...
PM me if he wants some pics.

Mattman
08-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks to all of you for the info. Wish I would have done this when I bought my first boat. As far as the Shadow goes, open or closed bow? Preference? I have always had open bows and a deck but Cigalert wants a place for the baby to get out of the sun. I have told him to stick with open. What do you think?

Hfmnhoe
08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks to all of you for the info. Wish I would have done this when I bought my first boat. As far as the Shadow goes, open or closed bow? Preference? I have always had open bows and a deck but Cigalert wants a place for the baby to get out of the sun. I have told him to stick with open. What do you think?
everyones gonna get what works for them. i like my open/cuddy. 27 shadow at 27' has sum good head room under cuddy for that size of boat, great to get out of the sun and the cold

shadow
08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
IMO i just hate to see a hole cut in such a good looking boat.
But on the other hand i've seen some very nice open bow Shadows,i guess
whatever works for the customer.
I'd be happy to own Shippingguys 27;)

shippingguy
08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
IMO i just hate to see a hole cut in such a good looking boat.
But on the other hand i've seen some very nice open bow Shadows,i guess
whatever works for the customer.
I'd be happy to own Shippingguys 27;)
Thanks Darrel. If it was all up to me I would have a closed bow, but you have to make others(wife) happy too.:D My next one WILL be a closed bow. If you are going with the open bow I like the crawl thru better.
Remember one thing between the 26 and 27 you sit more IN the 27 than in the 26. You fill more tucked in the boat.
Mike

Ivan Dan
08-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Theres always this boat for $80,000 (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158630) :D :) :D

Mattman
08-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Sweet rig!!

DEMOMAN
08-24-2007, 05:41 AM
Mattman, We will also be out for Labor Day. I would be more than happy to take you out in our 27 with a 525. As Dan and Mike have said the 27 sits high and dry with lots of storage room. The boat has zero porpoise and handles the ruff stuff no problem. If you have any questions call me anytime 760-580-4285.

Cigalert
08-24-2007, 05:41 AM
So many nice words about Ultra. So much to think about. I've always liked deep-v's but the cats these days are looking so much more wicked. My first time on a cat I remember taking a ride on some dudes boat called terminator 2? I was 19 and wasted...can't remember much. Any who, we blazed down to copper canyon through the slop at around 80. I was impressed with how that boat handled. And then Mattman got his 22' Advantage sport cat. So I gots to thinking, those cat hulls are a nice damn ride. Their different in regards to handling but I think I've been swayed.
So now I have to ask, who's towing 26/27 with what? I have a Tahoe with a 5.3. So if I have to tow/launch with a 2 wheel drive tahoe what do you think about that? Suspension? Supercharger? Should I look into the air asist for the rear suspension? I might be able to keep the boat in Havi at a buddy's house but I keep my boat at my work right now. Just wondering in case I have to tow from SoCal. Also, I've seen good performance gains from using a Hypertech...yay...nay?

shippingguy
08-24-2007, 05:47 AM
So many nice words about Ultra. So much to think about. I've always liked deep-v's but the cats these days are looking so much more wicked. My first time on a cat I remember taking a ride on some dudes boat called terminator 2? I was 19 and wasted...can't remember much. Any who, we blazed down to copper canyon through the slop at around 80. I was impressed with how that boat handled. And then Mattman got his 22' Advantage sport cat. So I gots to thinking, those cat hulls are a nice damn ride. Their different in regards to handling but I think I've been swayed.
So now I have to ask, who's towing 26/27 with what? I have a Tahoe with a 5.3. So if I have to tow/launch with a 2 wheel drive tahoe what do you think about that? Suspension? Supercharger? Should I look into the air asist for the rear suspension? I might be able to keep the boat in Havi at a buddy's house but I keep my boat at my work right now. Just wondering in case I have to tow from SoCal. Also, I've seen good performance gains from using a Hypertech...yay...nay?
I used to tow with a Suburban with a 9 inch lift and 37's, 5.3L and I regeared it to 4.56's. If you do not tow alot the Tahoe will be fine. I now tow with a 2500HD Duramax and it is a big difference, butthere is now need to run out and get anotehr truck if you get a 26/27 Shadow.
Mike

Cigalert
08-24-2007, 06:33 AM
I used to tow with a Suburban with a 9 inch lift and 37's, 5.3L and I regeared it to 4.56's. If you do not tow alot the Tahoe will be fine. I now tow with a 2500HD Duramax and it is a big difference, butthere is now need to run out and get anotehr truck if you get a 26/27 Shadow.
Mike
Well that's what I was thinking. I was looking at the 2500HD knowing it capabilities. But then the wife chimed in and said she refuses to drive a truck as her daily driver and there's no way I'm letting her drive my car (19" wheels with 30 series tires usually loose against women drivers). She really likes the short wheelbase of the tahoe plus it's stock suspension so it fits nicely in the garage. If I got a HD I wouldn't like to see it sitting so low to the ground...no more garage. Damn...all these f'in decisions. What's a boy to do?
I've been doing my finance homework (wishin the property tax fairy would fly away with the bill) and I'm just torn. I can afford $100k+ boat but then I see Ivan Dan's 26' Eliminator for 80K with a 525....UGH!!!! And then the guy who made the bowtie in my sig said he would want to put his flare on designing a boat. He also let me know he could bug a couple big named chopper builders and to add their personal touch as far as design. So now I'm thinking I have to buy new and see what a bunch of well respected professional artist can do to a boat. And out of any boat company I believe Ultra is the only one that could pull off what I'm dreaming up. You guys think having hand engraved bezels, handles, seat stands, vents would be sick?
Sometimes I really hate caffeine.

DEMOMAN
08-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Looking at the bowtie in your sig, I would like to see what those guys and Ultra could come up with on a custom build.

ULTRA26 # 1
08-24-2007, 06:58 AM
Cig,
I tow my 26 with a an F150 Lightning without a problem. It's a bit thusrty for fuel, but other than that, no peoblem.