PDA

View Full Version : So...Did they have the DUI checkpoints in LHC...

DILLIGAF
08-26-2007, 12:19 PM
this weekend? Anybody from here have to go thru one?

bignet
08-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Huge DUI checkpoint here in Rancho.....I was on the opposite side of the street and was tripping out on the amount of sherrifs there.....I text all my friends and warned them. :D
:devil:
bignet

stoker22405
08-26-2007, 01:14 PM
They had one at Topock bridge on Saturday ....

Havasu1986
08-26-2007, 01:25 PM
They had one at Topock bridge on Saturday ....
On the water or land. :confused:

MR.rvrluvr
08-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Huge DUI checkpoint here in Rancho.....I was on the opposite side of the street and was tripping out on the amount of sherrifs there.....I text all my friends and warned them. :D
:devil:
bignet
saw that too what a waste of money:(

stoker22405
08-26-2007, 04:27 PM
On the water or land. :confused:
Water...

bear down
08-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Passed through the check point on Saturday at about 4pm. Lots of patrol boats and jet skies. the beach was filled with pulled over boats. looks like they were pulling people over coming from Havasu. they had two vessel assist parked and 10 cars on land. I didn't see any other check points.

Ultracrazy
08-26-2007, 04:30 PM
:confused:

Danhercules
08-26-2007, 04:31 PM
You kidding? Getting drunks arrested is a waste of money? :eek:

yopengo
08-26-2007, 04:35 PM
We were at windsor, topock, sandbar and the channelÂ….didnÂ’t see one.

GHT
08-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Didn't see anything in Havasu Friday Night and hung out at home Sat Night due to Li being "under the weather". Although, I did see a ton of Nevada Highway Patrol working with Metro on the way home this morning... I don't think I've ever seen that many on a trip home before.:idea:

USCFAN
08-26-2007, 04:43 PM
I did not see a checkpoint all weekend.

shueman
08-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Passed through the check point on Saturday at about 4pm. Lots of patrol boats and jet skies. the beach was filled with pulled over boats. looks like they were pulling people over coming from Havasu. they had two vessel assist parked and 10 cars on land. I didn't see any other check points.
Good to hear...:hammer2:

Phat Matt
08-26-2007, 05:54 PM
I saw a couple people get popped at windsor. too bad they didn't pop the dumasses that don't know how to drive a boat sober either.
I guess there is no law against stupidity.

Riveratz
08-26-2007, 06:02 PM
We left Moabi about 2 PM on Saturday and they were on PWC's following us for a while and then turned and went after a boat heading north.

2forcefull
08-26-2007, 06:19 PM
It's only a waste of money if you're a ding-dong drunk driver...................we the sober drivers think it's just fine.
Yeah, what he said

Boatcop
08-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Yeah, what he said
But with better grammar, punctuation and spelling.
:D :D

bohica
08-26-2007, 07:28 PM
I volunteered for the checkpoint. Rolled up to the beach, showed them all required safety equipment, boat registration and they even looked in your cooler. They did the "follow the tip of the pen with your eyes test" and all was good. Kids even got free t-shirts. I probably smelled like a brewery, but it was nothing but O'douls anc Coors N/A all day. :D

Phat Matt
08-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I volunteered for the checkpoint. Rolled up to the beach, showed them all required safety equipment, boat registration and they even looked in your cooler. They did the "follow the tip of the pen with your eyes test" and all was good. Kids even got free t-shirts. I probably smelled like a brewery, but it was nothing but O'douls anc Coors N/A all day. :D
Why would you volunteer and what right do they have to look in your cooler? :confused:

bohica
08-26-2007, 07:39 PM
When I rolled thru there it looked like they were having everyone pull in to the checkpoint, so I figured that's where I better go too. After I got done, I see my two buddies in their boats just get waved on by. They asked for permission to look in the cooler and since I had nothing to hide, I said go ahead.

Phat Matt
08-26-2007, 07:47 PM
When I rolled thru there it looked like they were having everyone pull in to the checkpoint, so I figured that's where I better go too. After I got done, I see my two buddies in their boats just get waved on by. They asked for permission to look in the cooler and since I had nothing to hide, I said go ahead.
I wouldn't stop unless asked but would have no problem if asked. But who cares what you have in the cooler? If you aren't drinking you aren't drinking. After that did they ask to go through your pockets? I think I would have a problem if they wanted to look though my boat.

westair
08-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Just what were they looking for in the cooler .... drugs, weapons?

jbtrailerjim
08-26-2007, 08:47 PM
I was out the water Friday and Saturday. I didn't see any DUI check points. :confused:

MR.rvrluvr
08-26-2007, 10:24 PM
:confused:
what I ment was the fact they had a bazilion cops out there doing nothing but standing around....a couple of rv's, the works....they only had 2 cars stopped on Foothill blvd..witch is a main drag out here.....I have no prob with the dui check point....I was the DD that night .....I just don't understand why they need so many officers to do one check point......they had enough standing around to have another check point at a nother location......sorry if I offended you and have an opinion of my own....:)

Sportin' Wood
08-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Went down to Topoc, for a burger, waiter says as we order a beer that there is a checkpoint south. D/D did not want to deal with the hassel so we headed back north. That stretch of the river was quiet all after noon.

BadKachina
08-27-2007, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't stop unless asked but would have no problem if asked. But who cares what you have in the cooler? If you aren't drinking you aren't drinking. After that did they ask to go through your pockets? I think I would have a problem if they wanted to look though my boat.
I'm pretty sure the laws are a little different for watercraft. They don't need probable cause to search a vessel on the water. I don't believe the laws were set up to search boats on lakes as much as to protect our borders on open waters, but the laws still apply. Boat Cop can clarify.

Baja Big Dog
08-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Why in the hell would you "volunteer" for a checkpoint, and why would you let them search your cooler?
Im all for getting drunks off the water, but searching your cooler? I would be screwed, thats where I hide my surface to air missiles, and grenade launchers, cause I hear they blow up better if they are kept cold!!
Like said before, whats next, your pockets, or your anal cavity???

Ultracrazy
08-27-2007, 08:49 AM
what I ment was the fact they had a bazilion cops out there doing nothing but standing around....a couple of rv's, the works....they only had 2 cars stopped on Foothill blvd..witch is a main drag out here.....I have no prob with the dui check point....I was the DD that night .....I just don't understand why they need so many officers to do one check point......they had enough standing around to have another check point at a nother location......sorry if I offended you and have an opinion of my own....:)
Didn't say you offended me.......nor that your opinion was being question. But.....looks are deceiving. I would bet that a lot of the uniform personnel were reserves that don't get paid. Plus.....most check points are funded by grant money.

Ultracrazy
08-27-2007, 08:50 AM
[/B]
Didn't say you offended me.......nor that your opinion was being question. But.....looks are deceiving. I would bet that a lot of the uniform personnel were reserves that don't get paid. Plus.....most check points are funded by grant money.
Opps........sorry......almost forgot the smiley :D :D :D

Phat Matt
08-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm pretty sure the laws are a little different for watercraft. They don't need probable cause to search a vessel on the water. I don't believe the laws were set up to search boats on lakes as much as to protect our borders on open waters, but the laws still apply. Boat Cop can clarify.
Let's say your cooler is stocked full of beer. What are they then going to do? Charge you with intent to drink? It doesn't make any sense to me why they would check your cooler if you passed their FST's.

phebus
08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Let's say your cooler is stocked full of beer. What are they then going to do? Charge you with intent to drink? It doesn't make any sense to me why they would check your cooler if you passed their FST's.
Just the opposite, if your coolers empty they should arrest you. Where'd it go? :D

submakr
08-27-2007, 01:30 PM
We went through the Topoc checkpoint about 6 PM Saturday night. They pulled everyone in. Probably about 10-15 boats/PWC's. They did the safety inspection then asked if I had been drinking. I said yes. They asked how much and I said 1 beer an hour and water. We had been on the water for about 6 hours. They never asked how long we had been on the water. There were 4 of us. I took the pen/eye test and passed. They asked to look in the coolers. The front one was food but the back one was full of empty beer cans. They then asked if any anybody had not been drinking. We said no, he hesitated and then said "have a nice day." In the 15 minutes we were there 2 people had been arrested, one on a boat and one on a PWC.
I kinda wanted to do the blow test just to see what my BAC was but why ask for trouble!!!!!!
Lesson learned, throw away the empties before you get
underway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikaylaHunterCig
08-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Great idea - anything to help reduce the chance of on water accidents.
Dave

Big Inch
08-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I went thru there saturday late afternoon and I'd like to add that they did a wonderful job of making it as convenient as possible. The police officers were professional and polite and had us on our way in probably less then 5 minutes. Of course those that were not sober were not as pleased with the service.

Mohave Vice
08-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Asked to beach the toon. In and out less than 5 minutes. Everything good. No drinking. Our friend's kids got t-shirts from LE for wearing their PFDs. Very glad to see this and other checkpoints.

ratso
08-27-2007, 02:50 PM
We went through the Topoc checkpoint about 6 PM Saturday night. They pulled everyone in. Probably about 10-15 boats/PWC's. They did the safety inspection then asked if I had been drinking. I said yes. They asked how much and I said 1 beer an hour and water. We had been on the water for about 6 hours. They never asked how long we had been on the water. There were 4 of us. I took the pen/eye test and passed. They asked to look in the coolers. The front one was food but the back one was full of empty beer cans. They then asked if any anybody had not been drinking. We said no, he hesitated and then said "have a nice day." In the 15 minutes we were there 2 people had been arrested, one on a boat and one on a PWC.
I kinda wanted to do the blow test just to see what my BAC was but why ask for trouble!!!!!!
Lesson learned, throw away the empties before you get
underway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:idea:

Boatcop
08-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Chief Justice Earl Warren wrote, for the Majority, in a US Supreme Court Decision regarding the application of the 4th Amendment:
Vessel Searches .--Not only is the warrant requirement inapplicable to brief stops of vessels, but also none of the safeguards applicable to stops of automobiles on less than probable cause are necessary predicates to stops of vessels. In United States v. Villamonte-Marquez, the Court upheld a random stop and boarding of a vessel by customs agents, lacking any suspicion of wrongdoing, for purpose of inspecting documentation. The boarding was authorized by statute derived from an act of the First Congress, and hence had ''an impressive historical pedigree'' carrying with it a presumption of constitutionality. Moreover, ''important factual differences between vessels located in waters offering ready access to the open sea and automobiles on principal thoroughfares in the border area'' justify application of a less restrictive rule for vessel searches. The reason why random stops of vehicles have been held impermissible under the Fourth Amendment, the Court explained, is that stops at fixed checkpoints or roadblocks are both feasible and less subject to abuse of discretion by authorities. ''But no reasonable claim can be made that permanent checkpoints would be practical on waters such as these where vessels can move in any direction at any time and need not follow established 'avenues' as automobiles must do.'' Because there is a ''substantial'' governmental interest in enforcing documentation laws, ''especially in waters where the need to deter or apprehend smugglers is great,'' the Court found the ''limited'' but not ''minimal'' intrusion occasioned by boarding for documentation inspection to be reasonable. Dissenting Justice Brennan argued that the Court for the first time was approving ''a completely random seizure and detention of persons and an entry onto private, noncommercial premises by police officers, without any limitations whatever on the officers' discretion or any safeguards against abuse.''
Although the decision cited in Chief Justice Warren's brief, US v. Villamonte-Marquez, primarily applied to waters where interstate or international commerce could be conducted (Federal Waters), State Courts have consistantly cited that case when determining 4th Ammendment protections on Sole-State waters (inland lakes and rivers, not open to the sea or between 2 or more states).
They have held that the duty of the Government to protect its citizens outweighs the limited intrusion of a vessel safety inspection. Also figured in is the comparison between motor vehicles and vessels. On automobiles, required safety equipment, such as seat belts, horn, air bags, turn signals, etc, are factory installed and permenently mounted. While on vessels, the required safety equipment, (PFDs, Fire Extinguishers, Visual Distress signals, etc) is portable, and can be easily removed from the vessel.
The case in the link below, from Texas, is an example of the Court's reasoning.
SCHENEKL v Texas (http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:s-CFSyRMOIsJ:www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/opinions/152999a.wpd+Texas+Appeals+Court+Boat&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=16&gl=us) (Safe to Click-No Rolling)

Phat Matt
08-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Chief Justice Earl Warren wrote, for the Majority, in a US Supreme Court Decision regarding the application of the 4th Amendment:
Although the decision cited in Chief Justice Warren's brief, US v. Villamonte-Marquez, primarily applied to waters where interstate or international commerce could be conducted (Federal Waters), State Courts have consistantly cited that case when determining 4th Ammendment protections on Sole-State waters (inland lakes and rivers, not open to the sea or between 2 or more states).
They have held that the duty of the Government to protect its citizens outweighs the limited intrusion of a vessel safety inspection. Also figured in is the comparison between motor vehicles and vessels. On automobiles, required safety equipment, such as seat belts, horn, air bags, turn signals, etc, are factory installed and permenently mounted. While on vessels, the required safety equipment, (PFDs, Fire Extinguishers, Visual Distress signals, etc) is portable, and can be easily removed from the vessel.
The case in the link below, from Texas, is an example of the Court's reasoning.
SCHENEKL v Texas (http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:s-CFSyRMOIsJ:www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/opinions/152999a.wpd+Texas+Appeals+Court+Boat&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=16&gl=us) (Safe to Click-No Rolling)
What does that have to do with checking the contents of your cooler? It's not safety equipment. :confused:

Havasu Hangin'
08-27-2007, 04:28 PM
What does that have to do with checking the contents of your cooler? It's not safety equipment. :confused:
Maybe some people keep their lifevests in their cooler? :confused:

Boatcop
08-27-2007, 04:32 PM
All they did was ask. I didn't hear anyone say that the Officers demanded to look in the ice chest.
If I make a traffic stop on you and ask you to stand on your head and recite the Pledge of Allegiance, doesn't mean you HAVE to do it.
Hey. That would make a good FST. :D

RiverDave
08-27-2007, 04:42 PM
All they did was ask. I didn't hear anyone say that the Officers demanded to look in the ice chest.
If I make a traffic stop on you and ask you to stand on your head and recite the Pledge of Allegiance, doesn't mean you HAVE to do it.
Hey. That would make a good FST. :D
For those of us that maybe aren't getting the whole picture here.. Why would a cop ask to look in someones cooler? Becuase the whole program seems kinda weird to me?
RD

Jbb
08-27-2007, 04:51 PM
For those of us that maybe aren't getting the whole picture here.. Why would a cop ask to look in someones cooler? Becuase the whole program seems kinda weird to me?
RD
One with the machine....!....:D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181rd_21.jpg

Boatcop
08-27-2007, 04:54 PM
RD
When we do these checkpoints we gather statistical info, as well as try and deter impaired operation.
One of the things we note is if there was any alcohol on the boat, especially if the driver is sober. It helps us gauge the use of designated drivers on boats where alcohol is present.

RiverDave
08-27-2007, 04:57 PM
One with the machine....!....:D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181rd_21.jpg
Oh I've been reading the threads over the weekend Brian... LOL I thought it was absolutely priceless, that in a bunch of Drinking threads that I NEVER posted in, I had seemingly said so much... LOL
And became infamously "One with da machine." ;) (read that too...)
RD :D

Jbb
08-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Mr. Mayor......One..................with the machine!....:D
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/op1k.jpg

cxr133
08-27-2007, 05:44 PM
we were stopped on Saturday.
it appears that they were stopping everyone traveling North from LHC or the Sandbar.
i got through the field sobriety test fine, fire extinguisher, plenty of life vests and floatable throw cushion.
i received a warning because my boat has a 10 person limits, and with the 2 year old baby bought us to 11 people.
Topock Marina bar and restuarant seemed really empty compared to what i have seen it in the past, so i am wondering if this check impacted their business?

Phat Matt
08-27-2007, 11:00 PM
When we do these checkpoints we gather statistical info, as well as try and deter impaired operation.
One of the things we note is if there was any alcohol on the boat, especially if the driver is sober. It helps us gauge the use of designated drivers on boats where alcohol is present.
I would rather hear this than "can I look in your cooler".

kap
08-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Boatcop---Let me begin by saying I appreciate your posts, advice and your presence both on the water and in the forum. I have also read many of your posts and found them to be informative, helpful, and very pro-boater.
However, when you begin to cite the law you left out quite a few details.
The law as--- cited by Boatcop: is not necessarily controlling on whether "state law enforcement is required to have probable cause to stop a vessel." The cite addresses the Constitutionality of the stop in a narrow circumstance [area of interstate commerce]. The answer to the question is it depends on what state you boat in and which agency conducts the stop.
In cases, where the officer is conducting "Vessel safety Stop" law enforcement is given wide lattitude in making such stops--- more so if the agency is the U.S. Coast Guard---their is a presumption if your stopped by the Coast Guard that no PC is required and certainly not in the open ocean.
Their are many jurisdictional differences as to whether probable cause is required for state agencies to stop a vessel---these differences are either codified by statute or established by precedent/case law. Please check your jurisdiction to determine what is the standard for a vessel stop.
I think it is misleading to cite a constitutional case and indicate either express or implied that such precedent is the law in every jurisdiction.
A safety check is one thing but if the stop is based on the belief a crime has been committed--- in most jurisdictions the officer needs to articulate the necessary probable cause for the stop.
You have the right to say No! If a law enforcement officer requests to inspect your cooler, car, or home you have the RIGHT TO REFUSE, but be courteous and polite when you refuse. They won't tell you that is the case--- quite the contrary they [LE] use the color of authority in most cases to gain compliance ie... a YES!
On occassion the authority/agency may even indicate a prolonged stop or intent to obtain a warrant if you do not consent. Do not be troubled if you've done nothing wrong wait patiently and do not lose your cool.
What he did not tell you is if you are impaired or almost impaired .05-.07 then all this information is added to the report and you can still be arrested. The information would include a count of the empty beer cans in the cooler or in the vessel the number of occupants etc...
The same goes for the follow the pencil test to check for pupil movement that info. goes into the report---you can refuse the test simply say NO!
I am sure the above information will be scrutinized or draw criticism from those saying it is a warning or promotes drinking and boating. I disagree! I support the law & law enforcement but choose to not water down my rights when I go boating or on a Sunday drive with my family just because some zealot thinks such intrusions are acceptable. Forgive me, if I don't follow along like sheep or lemmings.
Respectfully,
KAP

Kyote
08-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Boatcop---
What he did not tell you is if you are impaired or almost impaired .05-.07
KAP
How do you tell if someone is ALMOST impaired?

LOWRIVER2
08-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Basically the difference of a booking based on under the influence/impaired even with the BAC being below .08. More description/tests go into the arrest report as to explain that while the person was not at the "legal limit" of .08, their actions clearly represented an impairment that would render them under the influence and not in a condition to operate a vehicle safely.
It's still a criminal case like all other criminal cases in which you have a defense attorney that can offer up/fight for your side of the story/case.

Riverdog1
08-28-2007, 10:31 AM
probably smart--next time they won't hassle you.

speeddmn
08-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Why are all the check points at Havasu and not Parker? Just curious. Not as many drunks at Parker?