PDA

View Full Version : 1 amp or 2?

djunkie
02-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Trying to figure out how I want to do my system in the boat and I have a question. Is it better to go get one multichannel amp to run my highs or could I get away with using 2 smaller amps? I have 2- 2 channel amps that work great and I was thinking of using them. Would they drain the batteries faster or does it just depend on the load they are using? My ass is getting cheaper by the minute and I'm thinking of doing this instead of buying another amp.

h2oski2fast
02-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Use what you have. Makes no difference, except for more wiring.

djunkie
02-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Use what you have. Makes no difference, except for more wiring.
I was mostly worried about battery usage but I figured that it probably would be the same as if I went with one big one.

h2oski2fast
02-23-2006, 01:26 PM
It will be about the same as long as they are the same power as the multi-channel (generally, meaning some brands are more power hungry then others).

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 03:13 PM
It will be about the same as long as they are the same power as the multi-channel (generally, meaning some brands are more power hungry then others).
Depends on the efficiency...but on a smaller system, a few percentage points won't matter that much.
Class D for the sub(s)...hands down.

djunkie
02-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Depends on the efficiency...but on a smaller system, a few percentage points won't matter that much.
Class D for the sub(s)...hands down.
Well then that is what I am looking for now. Since I have the amps for the highs I need a sub and amp. What do you recomend HH? I was thinking of running just one 12.

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Well then that is what I am looking for now. Since I have the amps for the highs I need a sub and amp. What do you recomend HH? I was thinking of running just one 12.
What sub?
The chant starts out of the crowd...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...

djunkie
02-23-2006, 03:32 PM
What sub?
The chant starts out of the crowd...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...go big...
LOL!!!! Well I don't really know. Probably a JL W-3 or something similar. Thats what I had in there before and it was way under powered and still sounded good. I'm sure with the right power to something similar would be fine for me.

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 03:45 PM
LOL!!!! Well I don't really know. Probably a JL W-3 or something similar. Thats what I had in there before and it was way under powered and still sounded good. I'm sure with the right power to something similar would be fine for me.
If that's a dual 4 ohm VC sub, and you are on a budget, I'd probably go with this (http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLCS3001).
However, if you decide to take your skirt off, and step up to the "big boys" sub/amp...I'd go W6v2 powered by one of these (http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLBPX5001).
I don't think you are ready for the "men's section" yet.
:D

djunkie
02-23-2006, 03:48 PM
If that's a dual 4 ohm VC sub, and you are on a budget, I'd probably go with this (http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLCS3001).
However, if you decide to take your skirt off, and step up to the "big boys" sub/amp...I'd go W6v2 powered by one of these (http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLBPX5001).
I don't think you are ready for the "men's section" yet.
Well maybe when I can afford to step up to the cat and tunnels baller status I'll be able to afford one of those. Who the hell uses JBL shit? I didn't even know they had car audio stuff. Well, except it was in my grandmas old Town Car.... LOL!!!!!!!!

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Well maybe when I can afford to step up to the cat and tunnels baller status I'll be able to afford one of those. Who the hell uses JBL shit? I didn't even know they had car audio stuff. Well, except it was in my grandmas old Town Car.... LOL!!!!!!!!
My friend...JBL is "Professional Grade". Who do you think does those movie theatre systems that make your ears bleed?
JBL bought Crown awhile ago...and they are making some cool shit. Check this bad boy out:
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/..%2fproducts%2fimages%2fproducts_large%2fA6000GTI .jpg
6000-Watt Balanced-Current Subwoofer Amplifier With Current Servos.
• Built-in variable electronic crossover with selectable slope rate.
• Dynamic Bass Optimization (DBO) - This provides variable filtering with adjustable "Q" below 100Hz, far beyond conventional "Bass Q" circuits, by allowing the low-frequency output to be optimized for specific subwoofer applications. Frequencies below an enclosure's tunign frequency can be attenuated, preventing damage to the subwoofer and allowing the amplifier's power to be better utilized.
• Variable phase control
• Full-range preamp outputs - In the event that multiple amplifiers are used in an application, this feature allows for streamlined system hookup. No high-loss Y-adapters or splitteres needed.
• High Effective Damping Factor -The A6000GTi has a high Effective Damping Factor. The result is better subwoofer control and lower distortion.
2600 Watts RMS x 2 channels at 4 ohms and ≤ 1%THD+N
8110 Watts RMS x 1 channel at 4 ohms, 14.4V supply and ≤ 1%THD+N
7400 Watts RMS x 1 channel at 1 ohm, 14.4V supply and ≤ 1%THD+N
Shops don't use it because they are afraid of it!
Now get with the program...this is not that "kiddie table" Kicker or RF stuff!

djunkie
02-23-2006, 04:06 PM
My friend...JBL is "Professional Grade". Who do you think does those movie theatre systems that make your ears bleed?
JBL bought Crown awhile ago...and they are making some cool shit. Check this bad boy out:
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/..%2fproducts%2fimages%2fproducts_large%2fA6000GTI .jpg
6000-Watt Balanced-Current Subwoofer Amplifier With Current Servos.
• Built-in variable electronic crossover with selectable slope rate.
• Dynamic Bass Optimization (DBO) - This provides variable filtering with adjustable "Q" below 100Hz, far beyond conventional "Bass Q" circuits, by allowing the low-frequency output to be optimized for specific subwoofer applications. Frequencies below an enclosure's tunign frequency can be attenuated, preventing damage to the subwoofer and allowing the amplifier's power to be better utilized.
• Variable phase control
• Full-range preamp outputs - In the event that multiple amplifiers are used in an application, this feature allows for streamlined system hookup. No high-loss Y-adapters or splitteres needed.
• High Effective Damping Factor -The A6000GTi has a high Effective Damping Factor. The result is better subwoofer control and lower distortion.
2600 Watts RMS x 2 channels at 4 ohms and ≤ 1%THD+N
8110 Watts RMS x 1 channel at 4 ohms, 14.4V supply and ≤ 1%THD+N
7400 Watts RMS x 1 channel at 1 ohm, 14.4V supply and ≤ 1%THD+N
Shops don't use it because they are afraid of it!
Now get with the program...this is not that "kiddie table" Kicker or RF stuff!
Damm HH. What are you a JBL rep now? I know their stuff is good. But for my cheap ass its a little over kill and out of my price range. Maybe someday though when I feel like building a floating stereo/movie theatre. :D

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Damm HH. What are you a JBL rep now? I know their stuff is good. But for my cheap ass its a little over kill and out of my price range. Maybe someday though when I feel like building a floating stereo/movie theatre. :D
Alright...put yer damn skirt back on and go shop at Pep Boys/Al & Eds.
In all seriousness, the mags tested those JBL amps, and they bench tested as advertised. I think JBL is getting out of the CS series, so for $150, you probably aren't going to find a cheaper 300 watt amp...which will match up with a W3v2 very well.

djunkie
02-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Alright...put yer damn skirt back on and go shop at Pep Boys/Al & Eds.
In all seriousness, the mags tested those JBL amps, and they bench tested as advertised. I think JBL is getting out of the CS series, so for $150, you probably aren't going to find a cheaper 300 watt amp...which will match up with a W3v2 very well.
Ok what if I want to step it slightly more and go with a better speaker than the w3? Since I'm only gonna run 1. Unless you think 2 would be better? LOL!!!!! I'm trying to step out of the skirt and into little boys shorts...... :crossx: :crossx:

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Ok what if I want to step it slightly more and go with a better speaker than the w3? Since I'm only gonna run 1. Unless you think 2 would be better? LOL!!!!! I'm trying to step out of the skirt and into little boys shorts...... :crossx: :crossx:
How many watts/components are you planning?
Baby steps, my friend...baby steps.

djunkie
02-23-2006, 05:13 PM
How many watts/components are you planning?
Baby steps, my friend...baby steps.
I will have around 500 watts going to 4- 6 1/2's and 2- 6x9's total. As for bass, I don't have anything yet except a 12w3, which now after looking at it may not be any good since it is full of water. :cry: :cry:

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 05:54 PM
I will have around 500 watts going to 4- 6 1/2's and 2- 6x9's total. As for bass, I don't have anything yet except a 12w3, which now after looking at it may not be any good since it is full of water. :cry: :cry:
Water tends to hurt SPL. :notam:
2-1 is a pretty good ratio, so I'd go with two JL W6v2 subs in a sealed enclosure...and give them 500 watts each (a 1,000 watt class d sub amp).
You'll only have around 1,500 watts (which won't be too hard on the batteries), but it will definately be LOUD.
But that's me...I took off my skirt a long time ago.

djunkie
02-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Water tends to hurt SPL. :notam:
2-1 is a pretty good ratio, so I'd go with two JL W6v2 subs in a sealed enclosure...and give them 500 watts each (a 1,000 watt class d sub amp).
You'll only have around 1,500 watts (which won't be too hard on the batteries), but it will definately be LOUD.
But that's me...I took off my skirt a long time ago.
Ok 2- 12W6's. Since I still wear a skirt and I need your help, is that a good way to go with the JL's or is there something close to equal in price that might be better? And I take it you would recomend one of those JBL amps?

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Ok 2- 12W6's. Since I still wear a skirt and I need your help, is that a good way to go with the JL's or is there something close to equal in price that might be better? And I take it you would recomend one of those JBL amps?
I like the W6v2s for a couple reasons:
1. They sound good.
2. Roz can get a deal on them.
3. They can handle 500 watts
4. Roz can get a deal on them
There are others, but the list gets short that meets that criteria. I've used Infinity Perfects and they also sounded great (and made yer hair move when the wick was turned up).
I've also had great success with the JBL amps- they hit REALLY hard, and you usually will find it tough to match them $/watt. However, the JL amps are not a bad option either (and I heard Roz can get a deal on them :wink: )
The rumor is that another guy on this site has a connection at Harmon Kardon (JBL, Infinity)...but that's just a rumor.

djunkie
02-23-2006, 06:25 PM
I like the W6v2s for a couple reasons:
1. They sound good.
2. Roz can get a deal on them.
3. They can handle 500 watts
4. Roz can get a deal on them
There are others, but the list gets short that meets that criteria. I've used Infinity Perfects and they also sounded great (and made yer hair move when the wick was turned up).
I've also had great success with the JBL amps- they hit REALLY hard, and you usually will find it tough to match them $/watt. However, the JL amps are not a bad option either (and I heard Roz can get a deal on them :wink: )
The rumor is that another guy on this site has a connection at Harmon Kardon (JBL, Infinity)...but that's just a rumor.
Cool. Am I bugging you yet??? LOL!!!!
Well I guess I'll wait to see what Roz can do then. Sorry for being a pain in the ass. I just want to try to move up to manliness like all you ballers. :rollside: :rollside:

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Cool. Am I bugging you yet??? LOL!!!!
Well I guess I'll wait to see what Roz can do then. Sorry for being a pain in the ass. I just want to try to move up to manliness like all you ballers. :rollside: :rollside:
You are not a PITA (as far as you know). :D
Wait til you get my consulting bill, though. :notam:

djunkie
02-23-2006, 07:31 PM
You are not a PITA (as far as you know). :D
Wait til you get my consulting bill, though. :notam:
Thats ok. Send it. I'll just file it under "S" for shredder. :rollside:

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Thats ok. Send it. I'll just file it under "S" for shredder. :rollside:
Or "B" for...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/ban.gif

djunkie
02-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Or "B" for...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/ban.gif
LOL!! Your not right. :crossx: :crossx:

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 07:39 PM
LOL!! Your not right. :crossx: :crossx:
Why does everyone say that? :messedup:

ROZ
02-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Yea, he's a greeedy bastard who doesn't want to use up his purchase per year on any of us po folk :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Yea, he's a greeedy bastard who doesn't want to use up his purchase per year on any of us po folk :D :D
I'm gonna start dialing that number like it's a damn radio station.
I figure that he'll be so sick of hearing from me, that I'll get a couple GTI amps just to shut me up.

BadKachina
02-23-2006, 08:22 PM
If you are going to buy subs I would recommend the Apline's. The type R's handle alot of power, sound good and are relatively inexpensive. The type x's are really good speakers and aren't JL w6 priced. The twelves can be put in a box .65 to 1.25 cubic feet sealed. That's a pretty small enclosure.
I like the JL amps but I also like the Rockford Power series amps. I've had real good luck with them. I run a Rockford bd 1500 and four Alpine twelves in sealed enclosures. I also run a power 4 channel 800 watt Rockford amp brigded to 2 Focal Utopia mids, and another 800 watt Rockford amp bridged to 4 8 ohm Focal kevlar mids. It's louder than most can handle in the boat and next to it. The Focal Utopia's are about 1k a pair but they worth every penny. What I'm getting at is my high end is very loud and clear and the four Alpine 12's seem to keep up with them. Most stereos are the other way around, too much bass and not enough anything else. 2 Alpine 12's and 1000 watt amp will a lot of bass, so will 2 JL audio 12's and a 1000 watts for that matter. You could even go with one 12 in a ported box (correctly porting a box with give you a 3db increase and 3 db is double the sound). I personally like the sound of sealed enclosures, and the speakers handle more power sealed but you could save a couple of bucks and go with 1 ported speaker and a smaller amp.
As far as you batteries, you can never have enough if you're cranking it up. I have four yellow optimas and it's good for about an hour before I have to back off, at a low volume though, they will go all day.

OutCole'd
02-23-2006, 08:23 PM
This question should only be answered by someone who is M.E.C.P. Certified with two gold stars or above.

BadKachina
02-23-2006, 08:24 PM
This question should only be answered by someone who is M.E.C.P. Certified with two gold stars or above.
right, and only use 4 gauge wire with the subs in stereo.............

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Crap...I'm going to have to delete my posts...I don't have five years experience.
:notam:

OutCole'd
02-23-2006, 08:25 PM
right, and only use 4 gauge wire with the subs in stereo.............
At least someone understands the importance of electronical questions. Thanks.

djunkie
02-23-2006, 08:29 PM
If you are going to buy subs I would recommend the Apline's. The type R's handle alot of power, sound good and are relatively inexpensive. The type x's are really good speakers and aren't JL w6 priced. The twelves can be put in a box .65 to 1.25 cubic feet sealed. That's a pretty small enclosure.
I like the JL amps but I also like the Rockford Power series amps. I've had real good luck with them. I run a Rockford bd 1500 and four Alpine twelves in sealed enclosures. I also run a power 4 channel 800 watt Rockford amp brigded to 2 Focal Utopia mids, and another 800 watt Rockford amp bridged to 4 8 ohm Focal kevlar mids. It's louder than most can handle in the boat and next to it. The Focal Utopia's are about 1k a pair but they worth every penny. What I'm getting at is my high end is very loud and clear and the four Alpine 12's seem to keep up with them. Most stereos are the other way around, too much bass and not enough anything else. 2 Alpine 12's and 1000 watt amp will a lot of bass, so will 2 JL audio 12's and a 1000 watts for that matter. You could even go with one 12 in a ported box (correctly porting a box with give you a 3db increase and 3 db is double the sound). I personally like the sound of sealed enclosures, and the speakers handle more power sealed but you could save a couple of bucks and go with 1 ported speaker and a smaller amp.
As far as you batteries, you can never have enough if you're cranking it up. I have four yellow optimas and it's good for about an hour before I have to back off, at a low volume though, they will go all day.
Well that system sounds very impressive but I have no where near the room for something like that. My boat isn't that big so I really don't need a lot. The highs I am running are more than enough I think. I may be looking into going with one 12 though instead of 2 like ol HH sugested cause I really don't think I need 2. But who knows. At this rate I'm changing my mind about every 20 minutes. :rollside:

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 08:41 PM
I may be looking into going with one 12 though instead of 2 like ol HH sugested...
Here comes the skirt again... :notam:

djunkie
02-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Here comes the skirt again... :notam:
:D :D

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 08:45 PM
:D :D
Next thing you know we're gonna see you towing that boat with a convertible Bug and starting a "How do I mount a vase w/flowers on the dash of my boat..." thread.

djunkie
02-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Next thing you know we're gonna see you towing that boat with a convertible Bug and starting a "How do I mount a vase w/flowers on the dash of my boat..." thread.
Your freakin killing me HH. If I go with what you recomend it better work good or else I'm coming for you. And from what I hear my boat should have no problem catching yours. :jawdrop: :D

Havasu Hangin'
02-23-2006, 08:52 PM
And from what I hear my boat should have no problem catching yours.
I'm sure you won't want to go too fast...you wouldn't want to blow out those aramotherapy candles you have on board!

ROZ
02-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Nice :) too bad the 165k3p 3 way are well over 1k and the new Utopia be (called the kit no 7) are 4800.00 :D The crossover is a killer though :D
http://www.utopia-be.com/Products/number_7/Frame_n7.jpg
Toby will put these into his next boat :D
I do agree that Alpine subs are a great product. I think it's an overbuilt sub for the money... :)

BadKachina
02-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Nice :) too bad the 165k3p 3 way are well over 1k and the new Utopia be (called the kit no 7) are 4800.00 :D The crossover is a killer though :D
http://www.utopia-be.com/Products/number_7/Frame_n7.jpg
Toby will put these into his next boat :D
I do agree that Alpine subs are a great product. I think it's an overbuilt sub for the money... :)
Focal in general is getting really hard to find, I had to replace a tweeter last year and the only place I could find it was on Ebay. I made my own 3rd order crossovers with polycaps and some trick notch filters and resistors. I also reverse the phase on the tweeters because of the placement so close to the mids. Correct effacing is a must, but don't ask me I'm not certified in anything and I don't know crap about using 4 gauge wire. I wasted my time and ran 1/0 gauge to all my amps. Now if I could only figure out how run my sub amp in stereo................

slovolvo
02-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Alot of companies make nice stuff, but my $.02 is get the JL 12W6s. I have a pair, and they are hands down the best subs I've ever owned.

ROZ
02-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Focal in general is getting really hard to find, I had to replace a tweeter last year and the only place I could find it was on Ebay. I made my own 3rd order crossovers with polycaps and some trick notch filters and resistors. I also reverse the phase on the tweeters because of the placement so close to the mids. Correct effacing is a must, but don't ask me I'm not certified in anything and I don't know crap about using 4 gauge wire. I wasted my time and ran 1/0 gauge to all my amps. Now if I could only figure out how run my sub amp in stereo................
Richard Clark just called. He said you were just granted an honorary MECP graduate. :)
BTW. You can wire every other coil in paraseries and add connect 2 relays with 1 diode between 85 and 87 in order to achieve 4th order of a chalupa in stereo :cool:

BadKachina
02-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Cool, that certificate and 5 dollars will buy me lunch at Mc Donalds. :)

rivercrazy
02-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Unfortuately wifey doesnt' work there anymore. :cry: :cry: :cry: I had to divorce her! J/K LOL! I miss those employee sales.......
As for JBL, I've had that brand amp in my boats for over 5 years. No problems with them whatsoever. And my boat is consistently run in rough water and the stereo has been used extensively.
If you really want to get serious, look into the BPX1100.0 or better yet BPX2200.1 for subs. Or if you more on a budget go with the GTO 1200.1